Outlook for 2014-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook for 2014-15

The Jackrabbit wrestlers under coach Bono's leadership made huge strides this year. We qualified 3 wrestlers for the NCAA tourney and were very competitive in the WWC. It will take some work to catch NDSU in conference, but we are finally in striking distance.

We graduate 4 seniors who had a nice impact on the team. Eric Orozco was the key part of this graduating class. While he finished with a 16-17 record, he was 3-2 in conference matches and sealed the win against Wyoming. Kevin Caruso, Will James, and Austin Lindsay combined to go 4-11 in their matches. Will James is the only one of this group to compete in a dual match, the rest of the matches were wrestling in open tournaments.

All 3 wrestlers to qualify for the NCAA's will be back. Cody Pack and Joe Brewster will be back for the senior campaigns, while Alex Kocur will have 3 years of eligiblity remaining. In addition, we will have numerous wrestlers from our outstanding freshmen class that will begin to make their mark on next year's team. On top of that, we will have 5 incoming recruits, including Spencer Derifield from Waverly Shellrock, IA. Derifield was ranked among the top 10 wrestlers at 160 lbs nationally by The Guillotine and won his weight class at the 3A Iowa State Championships.

I'm curious who will likely break into the starting lineups as only one spot will be open from this year's lineup.

Re: Outlook for 2014-15

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    I'm curious who will likely break into the starting lineups as only one spot will be open from this year's lineup.
    I look for at least 4 redshirt freshmen to be starting when the season gets going next fall. Just a wild guess, of course!

Comment

Coach Bono makes another splash with the hire of Jon Reader as an assistant...http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=209612623

Comment

Does anyone have any information on how the team is coming along this year? Less than a month until wrestling starts.

Comment

Possible line-up?
          125 Andrade/Gillette
          133 Simms (picked as the conferance runner-up by D-1 College wrestling)
          141 Laganiere/Kocer (can Kocer get to 141)
          149 Holler/Kocer (D-1 has Holler as the Conf. Champ.)
          157 Pack
          165 Brewster
          174 Nething ( I look for a STRONG senior season )
          184 ??? It seems like three or four guys wrestled here last year
          197 Hable/Rotert
          Hwt Macki Heard JJ was Red Shirting. Could that be true.

Today was the first day of practice, so someone has some information.?

Comment

It would be nice to find a spot on the roster for Colin Holler. NewOldFan has him slotted in the 149 weight class, but Jacks.com has him listed in the 165 class.

Last year he wrestled at 157 lbs. and had a very good year, going 18-7. He had two close losses to Kyle Bradley, a 3-time NCAA qualifier for Missouri and in overtime to Patrick Rhoads from Iowa. Rhoads is a quality wrestler for the Hawkeyes who wrestled behind Derek St. John, a national champion. He avenged losses to Matt Lemanowicz from Missouri and Zach Witte from UNI.

The problem is, unless we have an injury, he has to displace one of our 3 returning NCAA qualifiers. He could do it, but that likely leaves another quality wrestler off of the varsity.

We are very good at 4 weight classes, and should be competitive in conference at a few others. However, we still have holes in the lineup. Looking for the team to take another small step forward after a couple of big strides the previous two years. Love what Bono and crew are doing with the program!

Comment

The SDSU roster site is not very reliable in my opinion. I don't know why they do not keep it updated. With Kocer out with knee surgery someone needs to fill 149. It was the web site "D1 College wrestling" that said Holler would be at 149. As you mentioned Holler is a high quality wrestler, the wins from last year as a true freshman are very impressive, if he can cut the weight I think the spot is his, at least while Kocer is out. This is a great example of the reason a wrestling team needs a little depth in the room. Injuries always happen, need to be able to put the "Next Man In" and be able to count on the person to do the job. Thus the reason I find it so disturbing to hear that SDSU only gives out 7.7 of the allowed 9.9 scholarships in wrestling. It has to be hard getting a quality lineup, with some depth, and competing with the other D1 schools, when the scholarships are not fully funded.

Comment

I did not know that Kocer was out. How long is he expected to be out?

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...mind/17236947/

A link to an Argus article that mentioned Kocer had knee surgery during the off season. Out until Jan. unless recovery goes really well.

Comment

Per Terry V., Rapid City Stevens defending State Champ Kasey Klapprodt committed. Also had offer from NDSU. His brother wrestles for Iowa.

Good get!

Comment

I think the Dak Cleared up a few things.
                      125 Andrade ....with a true freshman Walters looking tough
                      141 Zilverberg (Looked tough, didn't think he would be at 141) (Kocer may be here in January?????)
                      149 Holler/Kocer (The D-1 wrestling site has Holler as the Conf. Champ.)
                      157 Pack
                      165 Brewster
                      174 Nething ( I look for a STRONG senior season ) Little/Big Kocer was Solid at the Dak, almost upset Julson. Will the redshirt come off?
                      184 Ayers/Wellington/Hable
                      197 Rotert!!!
                      Hwt JJ Everard

This lineup looks darn solid. No weights where you say to yourself.... "dang we are going to give up a lot of pins at that weight this year." More on the opposite..... "Dang we are going to get a lot of bonus wins at a number of weights this year." This should be a pretty good Dual team, ...I don't know how many points they will score in big tournaments like at St Louis, But I have high hopes for them in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by NewOldFan View Post
                        I think the Dak Cleared up a few things.
                        125 Andrade ....with a true freshman Walters looking tough
                        141 Zilverberg (Looked tough, didn't think he would be at 141) (Kocer may be here in January?????)
                        149 Holler/Kocer (The D-1 wrestling site has Holler as the Conf. Champ.)
                        157 Pack
                        165 Brewster
                        174 Nething ( I look for a STRONG senior season ) Little/Big Kocer was Solid at the Dak, almost upset Julson. Will the redshirt come off?
                        184 Ayers/Wellington/Hable
                        197 Rotert!!!
                        Hwt JJ Everard

This lineup looks darn solid. No weights where you say to yourself.... "dang we are going to give up a lot of pins at that weight this year." More on the opposite..... "Dang we are going to get a lot of bonus wins at a number of weights this year." This should be a pretty good Dual team, ...I don't know how many points they will score in big tournaments like at St Louis, But I have high hopes for them in the conference.
                        Amazing what Bono has done with this program in a short time. So excited to see where he takes them.

Comment

"Good day to be a Jackrabbit " continues as the wrestling team has a good tournament at the Bison Open with two Champions crowned, as well as some good wrestling overall. "Get Jacked."

Comment

Wow, just watched the highlights of our Jacks In the Midland Tournament. Got me all Jacked up! Love the Celtic intro music, that alone fires me up,ha! The guys really look well coached and have developed their wrestling skills to a high level, no wonder to me top notch wrestlers from across the nation seek to wrestle here, hats off to our coaching staff, and particually to coach Bono, under whose leadership we are making progress in leaps and bounds thanks to his relentless energy and leadership.Future looks bright!

Comment

The Jacks have a nice stretch of home cooking coming up. Over a two week period, they will wrestling 6 teams all at home. If you want to see some matches, this would be a great time. The last match on January 25th should be a good one. The Jacks will host their only ranked opponent during that stretch in #19 Oregon State. If you want to look at their schedule to make plans for attending check out GoJacks.com!

It would also be a nice chance to see Cody Pack wrestle before he graduates. In recent years we've had a chance to see Nate and ZZ transform their sports as some of the all time greats in SDSU history. Pack has been a game changer in wrestling too. He has a legit chance to be the first Jackrabbit All-American in D1 wrestling.

Comment

Working...
                              X