Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Men's Basketball

is awful.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: USD Men's Basketball

During halftime the Corn Growers Showdown rep was on camera and I thought for a second that he was going to present the Jacks with the trophy. I figured they should at least wait until after the game. But technically it was over before the tip.

The Yotes were just outmatched at every position. They guards are really short and not lightning quick. If you have a short guard he better be really quick and the Yote guards are just average in quickness. Their inside presence is rail thin. We could pretty much post up anyone on that team. Bittle was able to crash the boards at will. The guy guarding him just could not keep him off the boards.

USD has as good a chance of making the NCAA tourney as they did while play in D2. Zero chance.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

It does not appear that the yotes will be getting any size and quickness soon. They will match better against Denver who plays a 4 guard unit with a forward. Gruis was a no show as well as some of the other starters. It does not appear there is a replacement for Gruis. It might be the last trip for Coach James too. There were not many fans with red shirts in Frost today. They must be waiting for Sioux Falls.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Did james get fired yet?

On a serious note they aren't too far away from being better. They have guys who can do some nice things but I don't think the team bought into the whole work hard and play D. When they do and play pressure D they are much better then their zone D boots ran imho. Flack seems decent. Kasperbauer should get like 10 3 pt shots a game. Like duke use to for reddick his first 2 years. Just set him off on a bunch of screen to get open. He is willing to pull the trigger from anywhere and legit chance to make it. But their offense just looks lost. Not really any go to guy. Gruis ok post player if he doesn't go wild in the head and make stupid fouls but really no guard can take over the game with the dribble. They are young enough to get better and a recruit or 2 from being top half of the confrence imo.

But since its usd it doesn't really matter they still suck. But what do I know I was only in the marching band.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          It does not appear that the yotes will be getting any size and quickness soon. They will match better against Denver who plays a 4 guard unit with a forward. Gruis was a no show as well as some of the other starters. It does not appear there is a replacement for Gruis. It might be the last trip for Coach James too. There were not many fans with red shirts in Frost today. They must be waiting for Sioux Falls.
          They might have some size on the way. They had a big kid in sweats that wasn't in the program - looked at their on-line roster and he is a 6'10' redshirt from Senegal. Have no idea if he is any good but he definitely big - looked to be a couple inches taller than Gruis.

Comment

I'm more concerned about the Jacks then anyone else. 4 great seniors leaving. Only 2 guys with Summit league experience back. A lot of uncertainty. The greatest positive? Nagy, Nagy, and Nagy....I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              I'm more concerned about the Jacks then anyone else. 4 great seniors leaving. Only 2 guys with Summit league experience back. A lot of uncertainty. The greatest positive? Nagy, Nagy, and Nagy....I hope.

But they have a guy with SEC and Summit League experience coming back and getting a player with Big 10 experience next year.
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                But they have a guy with SEC and Summit League experience coming back and getting a player with Big 10 experience next year.
                Yes. I like your optimism. I want to say I share it. Going to be a new look team. With a proven entity in Nagy....I hope.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                  And a pretty solid juco player....SDSU men's hoops are in good shape for the next couple of years imo

Comment

You are kidding right? The drop off from the last 3 seasons is going to be huge. The lack of experience because Nagy has failed to develop much bench depth this year will be a huge hurdle.

Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Some talented guys redshirted this year for the Jacks, and some promising transfers and recruits are coming in. By mid-season next year, the Jacks should be just fine. Unless that 6-10 guy on the USD's bench can play like LaBron James, the Coyotes will still suck.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post
                        You are kidding right? The drop off from the last 3 seasons is going to be huge. The lack of experience because Nagy has failed to develop much bench depth this year will be a huge hurdle.

No I am not. They have a very good player in Bittle coming back, Larson is coming back and I think he will have a huge year, a pg transfer from Wisconsin, Horstman will be a solid role player, Connor Devine and Broman have got some experience this year and I feel Nagys recruiting is doing good. Flatten, Severyn, and Doyle all redshirted this year and I think they could have some type of role next year. So no, I am not worried until I actually see it.
                        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post

Look around the league. Most teams are losing studs, especially NDSU. USD is an exception. The Coyotes are losing Gruis and Rowson. You scored as many points in Saturday's game as Gruis.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Considering how well we did after losing not only the best player in team history, but possibly the best in League history, I'm not going to panic about next year. I expect it will follow this year's model, with early struggles and continued improvement. We have a Big 10 guard who has already been practicing with the team for two months that will be joined by a juco star with athleticism like we may have never seen here. The X factor will be working in replacements for Dykstra and Heemstra. That. Will take time to develop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

That Big 10 guard had surgery weeks ago and has plaster from fingers to above the elbow. Not much practicing with the team

Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Working...
                              X