Chris Kluwe Fiasco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Kluwe Fiasco

Good read. It sounds like the the Vikings have some in-house problems....

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-pla...ium=socialflow

Re: Chris Kluwe Fiasco

Kluwe is entitled to his opinion,just like the Vikings are entitled to cut him for a player with similar stats who costs less money. Welcome to the real world, Chris.

Comment

Trying to care.

Failing.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

If Mike Priefer really said those things, it's a pretty significant situation and becomes more than just Chris Kluwe's opinion.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Kluwe (who, by the way is married with two daughters in case anyone wondered) has a large online following, including 192,000 Twitter followers. He wrote a well-reviewed book, Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies that expanded eloquently on his political beliefs. I was pleased, reading the comments on the Deadspin article, that many readers understand that what Kluwe says there is about something much bigger than his own career.

There are a lot of reasons to believe what he's saying here: First, what does Kluwe have to gain by airing this dirty laundry? By doing so, he has closed the door on any possible comeback to Roger Goodell's PR-obsessed NFL. Second, most of the incidents he describes in his statement were witnessed by multiple other players. Third, he's not the only player whose career prospects disappeared when he spoke out on gay rights. (Also, while it's not direct evidence, there was a story today about the special teams coach's kid using a gay slur in about a zillion tweets... in my experience, that suggests at least that there wasn't anyone in that house speaking kindly about gay rights.)

I, for one, believe what he says and I can't imagine that anyone could honestly believe that there isn't rampant and open homophobia and bigotry in the NFL (this is hardly the first inkling of that). One of the most interesting parts of all of this to me is that celebrated "good guy" Leslie Frazier really comes off as superficial and spineless.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Maybe it’s just me but I don't care to hear pro athletes/celebrities/musicians views on politics/religion/social issues one way or the other. I prefer to hear their music and watch their performance without them thinking I am there to watch them stand on their soap box. But if an athlete or celeb shares their beliefs without people asking for it, they better accept and are prepared that people will disagree and let them know that regardless of what the issue is being discussed.

Plus I would take it what he said with a grain of salt since he clearly appears to be a disgruntled former employee. If he is so outspoken and such why wouldn’t he say it at the time if it were true? Appears to be some sour grapes imho. Even if more comes from it to be true I don’t think he does himself any favors of only telling part of the story. Until there is a second side shared I will be a bit skeptical. I’m not saying the coach didn’t say anything, but what context was it said, was he joking trying to push some buttons. As is usual, there probably is a lot more to the story.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Plus I would take it what he said with a grain of salt since he clearly appears to be a disgruntled former employee. If he is so outspoken and such why wouldn’t he say it at the time if it were true?
              Um... because he worked for those people at the time?
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Um... because he worked for those people at the time?
                Yep..and now that he sat out a season without getting signed, he saw the writing on the wall anyway and decided to go for it.

Kluwe has a very my 'way or the highway' approach to the whole issue. Which I guess happens on both sides, but you can't fault the Vikings for wanting to shut him up because of the PR distraction he was causing. That is their right as a private employer. There was no government intervention, so no 1st amendment rights were violated.

I always thought this was more about Kluwe saying 'look at me' than the issue itself, and I think that was confirmed by the tone of the article. If you don't think Kluwe stands to profit from his open stance on the issue then you are an idiot.

Also, you can't have your biggest look at me guy on the team be the punter. Especially an average one.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Kluwe (who, by the way is married with two daughters in case anyone wondered) has a large online following, including 192,000 Twitter followers. He wrote a well-reviewed book, Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies that expanded eloquently on his political beliefs. I was pleased, reading the comments on the Deadspin article, that many readers understand that what Kluwe says there is about something much bigger than his own career.

There are a lot of reasons to believe what he's saying here: First, what does Kluwe have to gain by airing this dirty laundry? By doing so, he has closed the door on any possible comeback to Roger Goodell's PR-obsessed NFL. Second, most of the incidents he describes in his statement were witnessed by multiple other players. Third, he's not the only player whose career prospects disappeared when he spoke out on gay rights. (Also, while it's not direct evidence, there was a story today about the special teams coach's kid using a gay slur in about a zillion tweets... in my experience, that suggests at least that there wasn't anyone in that house speaking kindly about gay rights.)

I, for one, believe what he says and I can't imagine that anyone could honestly believe that there isn't rampant and open homophobia and bigotry in the NFL (this is hardly the first inkling of that). One of the most interesting parts of all of this to me is that celebrated "good guy" Leslie Frazier really comes off as superficial and spineless.
                  +1, ^this, agreed, etc.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Some quotes from Kluwe which I think are awesome:
                    On the investigation: "That's good," Kluwe said. "I'm glad they're taking the matter seriously. I really look forward to everything that transpires from it because everything I said was the truth."

On Mike Priefer vehemently denying the allegations: "It's an excellent gauge for a defamation lawsuit if he's saying that I'm saying lies," Kluwe said. "If you really feel that strongly about the matter, there is legal recourse available. Everyone has a chance to have their day in court."

Heres the rest of the article: http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...ges?source=nav

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                      Yep..and now that he sat out a season without getting signed, he saw the writing on the wall anyway and decided to go for it.

Kluwe has a very my 'way or the highway' approach to the whole issue. Which I guess happens on both sides, but you can't fault the Vikings for wanting to shut him up because of the PR distraction he was causing. That is their right as a private employer. There was no government intervention, so no 1st amendment rights were violated.

I always thought this was more about Kluwe saying 'look at me' than the issue itself, and I think that was confirmed by the tone of the article. If you don't think Kluwe stands to profit from his open stance on the issue then you are an idiot.

Also, you can't have your biggest look at me guy on the team be the punter. Especially an average one.
                      You are right that free speech does not mean speech without consequences.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post

I have to agree. Putting his career on the line for a stance that helps a group of people that he isn't a part of is the ultimate selfish move.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          I have to agree. Putting his career on the line for a stance that helps a group of people that he isn't a part of is the ultimate selfish move.
                          Kluwe was very out spoken on a lot of issues including gay rights. When faced with a suspected homophobic moron and 'two cowards",what does he do?He keeps it a secret until he's sure he's milked every dollar out his career,THEN comes forward and slashes and burns his former employer. As a gay rights advocate that sends quite a message.

What a freaking hero.
                          Back in the real world,the Vikings found someone who was younger and could do a similar job for less money.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                            Kluwe was very out spoken on a lot of issues including gay rights. When faced with a suspected homophobic moron and 'two cowards",what does he do?He keeps it a secret until he's sure he's milked every dollar out his career,THEN comes forward and slashes and burns his former employer. As a gay rights advocate that sends quite a message.

What a freaking hero.
                            Back in the real world,the Vikings found someone who was younger and could do a similar job for less money.
                            Kluwe mentioned in the article the reason he didn't release the article during the season is that he still has friends on the Vikings and didn't want to create a controversy and take away from the team during the season. He also mentions that he released at the time he did so the controversy would be over by the team the season started.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post

What a freaking hero.
                              1) He mentions that in his article. Did you read the entire thing he wrote, or just the headline?

2) He also explains why he waited to speak out. Again, did you read the article? The entire thing?

Edit: Even witness and I can agree on this. Goodness.

Comment

Working...
                              X