PDA

View Full Version : Craig Bohl To Wyoming

YanktonJack7
12-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Bruce Feldman from CBS Sports is reporting that Bohl will be named Wyoming head coach.

"#Wyoming will announce North Dakota St's Craig Bohl Sunday as its new head coach, per source. He's 40-2 last 3 seasons."

@BFeldmanCBS

I have no idea why he would take this job, if true.. I don't think this job is better than NDSU.

SidelineObserver
12-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Wyoming has schedule a press conference for tomorrow to announce Craig Bohl as it's new head football coach! Wow?

SanDakotaState
12-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Bruce Feldman from CBS Sports is reporting that Wyoming will introduce Craig Bohl as its new head coach tomorrow.

YanktonJack7
12-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Mods, please delete the additional threads on this subject. Here's Feldman's article.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/bruce-feldman/24368098/wyoming-lands-bohl-as-new-head-coach

da_coach
12-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Bruce Feldman from CBS Sports is reporting that Bohl will be named Wyoming head coach.

@BFeldmanCBS

I have no idea why he would take this job, if true.. I don't think this job is better than NDSU.

Holy Smokes! 3 threads started at the same time!

I'm very surprised as well. But, Money talks...and...NDSU has ALOT of talented seniors...could be the end of the run, and Bohl maybe didn't want to go through the rebuilding process again?

SanDakotaState
12-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Bisonville meltdown in 3,2,1.......

jackmd
12-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Seems crazy to me. Scandal at NDSU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

YanktonJack7
12-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Here's Feldman's article ...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/bruce-feldman/24368098/wyoming-lands-bohl-as-new-head-coach

YanktonJack7
12-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Wyoming seems like a questionable job, but who knows. Maybe he gets them to the MWC title game in a few years and gets a bigger FBS job. It's what Urban Meyer did at Utah when they were in the MWC. The timing is really questionable, but perhaps he needs to get a head start on recruiting.

SanDakotaState
12-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Marcus Williams tweeted "tell me this isn't true"

Will Coach Bohl stay with the team till the end of the playoffs or is he out right away?

da_coach
12-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Marcus Williams tweeted "tell me this isn't true"

Will Coach Bohl stay with the team till the end of the playoffs of is he out right away?

That's the question isn't it?

I'd guess, that if they are "introducing" him tomorrow...he's gone. Probably on a flight right now.

BigGoosie13
12-07-2013, 08:57 PM
First of all, really???? Leave NDSU for Wyoming, seems like a possible dead end move, ask Joe Glenn. Second of all, the timing flat out sucks for the Bison.

RowdyRabbit
12-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Wow, if he leaves the team in the middle of a playoff run, with a 3peat at stake, he could become the most loved to the most hated in Fargo overnight. Can't get on bisonville right now, meltdown underway? This is stunning.

SanDakotaState
12-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Brock Jenson "Please say this is a joke"

It's sounding like Bohl didn't even tell his players before the media reported it. Pretty classless move imo, very un-Bohl like.

YanktonJack7
12-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Mike McFeely wrote about some reasons why he thinks Bohl left:

Many NDSU fans might wonder why Bohl would go from NDSU to Wyoming, which is not a member of a major conference. It could be two reasons: First, the recently-fired Dave Christensen made $1.2 million annually while Bohl is in the $350,000 range at NDSU. Second, there are rumors Wyoming might jump from the Mountain West Conference to the Big 12.

RabbitObsessed
12-07-2013, 09:28 PM
The schadenfreude. Oh the schadenfreude.

:cool:

RabbitObsessed
12-07-2013, 09:29 PM
I just tried to get on Bisonville on 3 different browsers and nothing worked. Did this literally blow up Bisonville?

YanktonJack7
12-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I just tried to get on Bisonville on 3 different browsers and nothing worked. Did this literally blow up Bisonville?

Same here. Wouldn't even load for me. Now it's loading very slow. Craig Bohl left and blew up Bisonville.

Southeast
12-07-2013, 09:31 PM

Same here. I wanted to check out the meltdown but could not get on. Yikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

RowdyRabbit
12-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Likewise, driving me nuts. Need bisonville! Def. Meltdown.

RabbitObsessed
12-07-2013, 09:34 PM
I know no one cares, but he must not be named is going full on denial on twitter.

The ravings of a six year old finding out there is no Santa, closing his eyes, plugging his ears, and screaming "AFKAHSDFLHASK IT'S NOT TRUUUUUUUE"

OldHare
12-07-2013, 09:35 PM
The majority of people on Bisonville will not believe until it is announced

YanktonJack7
12-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Brock Jensen ‏@BrockJensen1 7m

"Really happy for Coach, love that man with all my heart... Sad it had to get leaked like this, doubt he wanted it to happen like it is."

OldHare
12-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Over 700 on the football thread now.

RabbitObsessed
12-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Can this thread get moved to smack, so I can post this:

(found on twitter, didn't create)

SanDakotaState
12-07-2013, 09:47 PM
I know no one cares, but he must not be named is going full on denial on twitter.

The ravings of a six year old finding out there is no Santa, closing his eyes, plugging his ears, and screaming "AFKAHSDFLHASK IT'S NOT TRUUUUUUUE"

There are some funny/harsh replies about Bohl leaving. One person used the hashtags "#HeLikesMoneyMoreThanYou, #WorseThanGettingDumped" Another person said "You guys (as in the team) mean nothing to him" All these comments are under Cole Jiriks tweet that said "To all my bison teammates please stay off social media tonight."

RowdyRabbit
12-07-2013, 09:51 PM
The timing just stuns me. Team is most likely going to go undefeated and 3peat. I need confirmation, if they announce tomorrow, is he gone tomorrow? Or can they announce but allow him to finish the year at NDSU?

filbert
12-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Merged other two threads into this one.

SanDakotaState
12-07-2013, 09:53 PM
The timing just stuns me. Team is most likely going to go undefeated and 3peat. I need confirmation, if they announce tomorrow, is he gone tomorrow? Or can they announce but allow him to finish the year at NDSU?

Izzo said that if this is true Bohl will not finish the season out. He didn't say who the interim coach would be.

jack power
12-07-2013, 09:56 PM
If i was a player or fan,i sure as hell wouldn't want him to finish out the season. If you're leaving ,hit the bricks.

RowdyRabbit
12-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Izzo said that if this is true Bohl will not finish the season out. He didn't say who the interim coach would be.
Stunning. Is it an attempted Bohl power play? "Watch how they fold when I'm not their coach". What team wouldn't be reeling?

TK22867
12-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Is it a recruiting dead period? If not, let's go poach us some Bison recruits!

Can we at least trust our coaching staff to try?

RowdyRabbit
12-07-2013, 09:58 PM
If i was a player or fan,i sure as hell wouldn't want him to finish out the season. If you're leaving ,hit the bricks.
That's true I guess.

Southeast
12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
To be dumped for lowly Wyoming is going to really sting up north. Wyoming! That tells you something about all of our (FCS) place in the college football pecking order. No surprise here, but in Fago..... Meltdown.

TransAmBison
12-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Ouch. It sure sucks to have to get my Bison info on your board. Oh for the shame of it. This was a big surprise...still just in shock...wish Bohl the best though...he did great things for our team.

RowdyRabbit
12-07-2013, 10:11 PM
I just nailed it...Perhaps he's setting himself up to be Glenn's successor at USD!

goon
12-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Isn't ndsu better then wyoming. Would be a nice state to live in imho. And make a million a year or so not bad even if its just a few years. Would be a nice state to retire too again imho.

slosho
12-07-2013, 10:33 PM
I wonder what the temp is in Fargo right now?

Hammersmith
12-07-2013, 10:35 PM
I wonder what the temp is in Fargo right now?

I think we reached Hell freezing over, but it was already so cold we didn't notice.

JackJD
12-07-2013, 10:50 PM
I think we reached Hell freezing over, but it was already so cold we didn't notice.

This is a whale of a development. First inkling something was up was during our game, a "guest" on TV's live chat stated Bohl was going to Wyoming. My wife had the live chat on her laptop while we were watching our game on the television. I concluded: just some drive-by rumor starter.

Wrong.

Stunning to me. I would have guessed a more prestigious football school. Good move by Wyoming. I think Coach Bohl is a great choice for a coach. If he can recruit to Laramie, he'll develop the team.

TK22867
12-07-2013, 11:04 PM
My wife had the live chat on her laptop while we were watching our game on the television.

That's a hardcore football family!

I saw the initial rumor via Stu Whitney's twitter.

Still not buying all the talk of Wyoming to the Big 12 though.

goon
12-07-2013, 11:12 PM
That's a hardcore football family!

I saw the initial rumor via Stu Whitney's twitter.

Still not buying all the talk of Wyoming to the Big 12 though.

Wonder if that was part of it that its not annoucned yet but then he can be coaching in the big 12. Like he would only take the job if going to the big 12 was garunteed.

Bisonitus
12-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Is it a recruiting dead period? If not, let's go poach us some Bison recruits!

Can we at least trust our coaching staff to try?

You sir, are an idiot. The only thing you can trust your coaching staff to try...is to run a fake punt. LMFAO. :cool:

JackJD
12-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Bisonitus: We have a rule on this board: you can attack posts but not posters. We've also been accused of enforcing rules a little more quickly on visitors.

Taking a shot at our coaches can be fair game but if that goes too far, you'll be directed to the smack section at the discretion of the moderators. Keep in mind when visiting our board that you are a fan of the same school that lakesbison is a fan. Think about that for a while.

TransAmBison
12-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Bisonitus: We have a rule on this board: you can attack posts but not posters. We've also been accused of enforcing rules a little more quickly on visitors.

Taking a shot at our coaches can be fair game but if that goes too far, you'll be directed to the smack section at the discretion of the moderators. Keep in mind when visiting our board that you are a fan of the same school that lakesbison is a fan. Think about that for a while.I was totally on board with your post (Bison poster angry and out of line) and then you take a shot (smack) at a person (lakesbison) who is banned from here (correct me if I'm wrong*), which just seems out of line for a "super moderator". C'mon...if you are going to be a (super) moderator, don't smack in your posts...it demeans the title. Granted, both of our fan bases are hurting a li'l right now...so maybe I should cut you some slack...I was really cheering for you guys today...

*According to teh wife, it's all the time.

joeboo22
12-08-2013, 01:11 AM
I reported this on Terry's live chat this afternoon, I had heard it was Craig Bohl, but when my friend who had a source inside Wyoming's Athletic Department wouldn't deny it I knew it was him. I'm surprised/ shocked. But I think its a great get. Still thought they could have gotten a better name. Not sure how NDSU will react to this

Wyoming tried this with Joe Glenn, and even though he did beat UCLA in a bowl game, he didn't do much. Reports are salary btween 1.5 and 2 million a year with use of a twin prop airplane for recruiting.

Nidaros
12-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Here is the Fargo Forum's take:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/420539/

jack power
12-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Wonder if that was part of it that its not annoucned yet but then he can be coaching in the big 12. Like he would only take the job if going to the big 12 was garunteed.
I would like to hear why the Big 12 would want Wyoming. I mean, they have a 30,000 seat stadium and 14 tv sets in the whole state. What's the allure?

JackJD
12-08-2013, 09:07 AM
I was totally on board with your post (Bison poster angry and out of line) and then you take a shot (smack) at a person (lakesbison) who is banned from here (correct me if I'm wrong*), which just seems out of line for a "super moderator". C'mon...if you are going to be a (super) moderator, don't smack in your posts...it demeans the title. Granted, both of our fan bases are hurting a li'l right now...so maybe I should cut you some slack...I was really cheering for you guys today...
*According to teh wife, it's all the time.

Yeah, you're probably right (my attempt at humor missed...). I saw a new member of the forum who happened to be sporting the yellow and green come out slugging and sometimes early intervention is appropriate. Like other Jackrabbit fans yesterday, I wasn't a happy camper. Somehow it seems a little different (probably isn't) than regular smack to knock about an individual who thrives on and welcomes being a punching bag.

The news about Coach Bohl was shocking too - I find no pleasure in knowing NDSU (and the conference) suffered a real loss with yesterday's announcement.

joeboo22
12-08-2013, 09:23 AM
To be dumped for lowly Wyoming is going to really sting up north. Wyoming! That tells you something about all of our (FCS) place in the college football pecking order. No surprise here, but in Fago..... Meltdown.

Wyoming isn't a great job but reports are he will get paid between 1.5 and 2 million and get use of a twin prop airplane for recruiting. NDSU can't even come close to that. Also I've heard rumblings out of Wyoming of stadium renovations and other facilities updates to get them on par with the rest of the MWC.

Jacked_Up
12-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Stunning move? I don't think so. Bohl will move up to a higher level of college football, make more money and arguably live in a much nicer area. In addition, after a highly successful and impressive three-year run at NSDU, the Bison are about to enter a rebuilding phase. It's a good time for a coach with options to bail out.

bigticket1
12-08-2013, 11:32 AM
It seems Bohl will continue to coach the Bison until their playoff run is over. I'm surprised that NDSU wants a lame duck coach to stick around -seems it would be better turning it over to one of the coordinators both for game prep and recruiting. And , more importantly , I'm surprised Wyoming is willing to allow their new coach a month-long sabbatical during prime recruiting time. Sounds like the perfect opportunity for Bohl to do a half-a**ed job in both locations.

jacksfan29
12-08-2013, 11:41 AM
It seems Bohl will continue to coach the Bison until their playoff run is over. I'm surprised that NDSU wants a lame duck coach to stick around -seems it would be better turning it over to one of the coordinators both for game prep and recruiting. And , more importantly , I'm surprised Wyoming is willing to allow their new coach a month-long sabbatical during prime recruiting time. Sounds like the perfect opportunity for Bohl to do a half-a**ed job in both locations.

I don't know, it will be difficult but Bohl as the head coach at a place like NDSU, with the senior dominated leaders he has is already in a position where he simply provides direction to his assistants; later putting his stamp of final approval on the game plan. I would also be the school (NDSU) already has plans in place for his replacement, from Bohl's current staff. I'm also pretty sure that Bohl has never done a half-a**ed job in his life.

As for Wyoming, recruiting is going to be the big issue right now. What better way to get a foot in the door of a skeptical recruit then winning your 3rd FCS championship in a row? He is going to be making calls and likely logging some miles on the Wyoming plane, but I think his staying may benefit both schools in the long run.

Nidaros
12-08-2013, 12:03 PM
How many NDSU assistants are packing their cowboy boots for trip west? Nearly all of them.

Kemo
12-08-2013, 12:20 PM
It's embarrassing the hypocrisy that goes on when a football coach leaves a program for another school.

Bohl is probably going to end up with a contract that will pay 5 times what he is making now. That's right, 5 times as much, and bisonville is up in arms calling out his integrity and resorting to childish name calling. My advice to anyone who has never turned down a job that pays 5 TIMES as much: Shut up. And don't tell me what you "would" do in that situation either. Hypothetical money is really easy to turn down, the real thing, not so much. Not to mention all the other incentives such as a higher level of competition, the private jets he'll have at his disposal, etc...

This isn't just about Bison fans, as I have feeling we'd be hearing the same crap over here if the situation was reversed. It's double standard garbage and fans need to be called out on it. I pray the Jacks can have a coach leave for another school after already delivering us 2 National Championships!

TransAmBison
12-08-2013, 12:49 PM
It's embarrassing the hypocrisy that goes on when a football coach leaves a program for another school.

Bohl is probably going to end up with a contract that will pay 5 times what he is making now. That's right, 5 times as much, and bisonville is up in arms calling out his integrity and resorting to childish name calling. My advice to anyone who has never turned down a job that pays 5 TIMES as much: Shut up. And don't tell me what you "would" do in that situation either. Hypothetical money is really easy to turn down, the real thing, not so much. Not to mention all the other incentives such as a higher level of competition, the private jets he'll have at his disposal, etc...

This isn't just about Bison fans, as I have feeling we'd be hearing the same crap over here if the situation was reversed. It's double standard garbage and fans need to be called out on it. I pray the Jacks can have a coach leave for another school after already delivering us 2 National Championships!Well said. Very sad what has gone on over at bv.

Nidaros
12-08-2013, 12:59 PM
I pray the Jacks can have a coach leave for another school after already delivering us 2 National Championships!
I would be satisfied with one NC. Being an old guy, I reflect on the past. Like the post Ralph Ginn era, Dave Kragthorpe stayed with us one year and left for Weber State and ended up at Oregon State, who was followed by Dean Pryor two years, who ended at Arkansas State and a new Stadium. Both winners at somewhere else, but we did not have resources to keep them around long enough to have a winning season. So I would settle for one NC, two is a bunch. I don't see a big turnaround at Wyoming. They seem to have the resources, but have went through a bunch of coaches in the past twenty years. Win or lose, Bohl should be fixed for life financially after his career at Wyoming is ended.

RabbitObsessed
12-08-2013, 01:17 PM
My favorite part of the whole thing is that he left for Wyoming. Not Nebraska. Not a big time school. Wyoming. Trololololololol.

jack power
12-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Well said. Very sad what has gone on over at bv.
I'm not defending Bisonville,but when a few hours after your game rumors start flying that your HC is taking a job at a crappy FBS school,it's inevitable there's going to be a flurry of knee-jerk reactions. Like Kemo said,it would happen with our fan base too.

SanDakotaState
12-08-2013, 02:22 PM
NDSU's AD Gene Taylor says Craig Bohl will coach team rest of season. I don't know how that works. Most of the time when coach takes another coaching position somewhere else he is out right away. It going to be interesting how Bison fans react to Bohl on Saturday.

Nidaros
12-08-2013, 02:29 PM
NDSU's AD Gene Taylor says Craig Bohl will coach team rest of season. I don't know how that works. Most of the time when coach takes another coaching position somewhere else he is out right away. It going to be interesting how Bison fans react to Bohl on Saturday. I would expect most of his staff will go with him to Wyoming, so that might figure into the end of the season. Picking a staff that works together is very important part of a successful football program. He has that in Fargo, why not take it with you? The new NDSU guy would then be free to bring in his own guys.

OKC_Poke
12-08-2013, 02:39 PM
O.K. I root for WYOMING and saw this thread. LOL

First off, we are not going to the Big XII which makes me happy since I hate OU with a passion. But rumors are that the wrestling program at Wyoming will apply to the Big XII for that sport only.

Secondly, from what I've heard Bohl will stay at NDSU until their season is done so he'll be there until the end of their championship run.

Hip2daHop
12-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I just looked at bison roster.... Wow lots of SF kids. Too bad they can't transfer back in state without sitting out. Upcoming recruits will certainly re-think their options also

MontanaRabbit
12-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Stunning move? I don't think so. Bohl will move up to a higher level of college football, make more money and arguably live in a much nicer area. In addition, after a highly successful and impressive three-year run at NSDU, the Bison are about to enter a rebuilding phase. It's a good time for a coach with options to bail out.

Arguably a nicer area? :)

Danger41
12-08-2013, 05:03 PM
I thought he was going to end up at Nebraska with his pedigree. Crazy stuff...

Theee Catrabbit
12-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I thought he was going to end up at Nebraska with his pedigree. Crazy stuff...

From talking to Nebraska fans when we were down there, he had a lot of skeletons in his closet ala Petrino-esque. I think this hurt his stock a lot, and why he ended up at Wyoming. This is indeed reminiscent of Joe Glenn. Good luck to Craig Bohl! **** finally someone got him the **** out of our conference.

witness
12-08-2013, 05:43 PM
NDSU's AD Gene Taylor says Craig Bohl will coach team rest of season. I don't know how that works. Most of the time when coach takes another coaching position somewhere else he is out right away. It going to be interesting how Bison fans react to Bohl on Saturday.
I would hope they cheer him. Brought them 2 maybe 3 FCS championships. Can't fault a guy for taking a step up

Thumper 76
12-09-2013, 08:56 AM
I would hope they cheer him. Brought them 2 maybe 3 FCS championships. Can't fault a guy for taking a step up

This. The butthurt will be deep as it would be anywhere though. It will be interesting. I hope for their players sakes they cheer. Still stunned its Wyo when i had heard Boise St rumors.

JimmyJack
12-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Wyoming isn't a great job but reports are he will get paid between 1.5 and 2 million and get use of a twin prop airplane for recruiting. NDSU can't even come close to that. Also I've heard rumblings out of Wyoming of stadium renovations and other facilities updates to get them on par with the rest of the MWC.

I think that pretty much sums it up. More money. He has accomplished about all he can at the FCS level. If he gets WYO consistently near the top of the MWC, it'll be a miracle and he'll cement his legend. At some point, you have to think about your future. If somebody dangled three times as much money in front of me, even if it wasn't my dream job, I would almost certainly take it and so would most people. Good for him. He has earned it.

goon
12-09-2013, 10:08 AM
How old is bohl? I figure he would go like bcs cordinator if anything. Just thinking if he is older maybe has other hobbies. Make over a million bucks the next couple years and take an early retirement.

rabidrabbit
12-09-2013, 10:18 AM
How old is bohl? I figure he would go like bcs cordinator if anything. Just thinking if he is older maybe has other hobbies. Make over a million bucks the next couple years and take an early retirement.

Bohl is 53. He's supposed offered virtually his whole NDSU coaching staff positions at Wyoming.

I'm a bit surprised. MWC is a step above the MAC, and definitely the Sunbelt. Did MWC remain one of the BCS conferences? I thought that Bohl may end up at a lower success BCS conference school (Utah, Oregon St, Kansas, Illinois) than Wyoming.

shot_5533
12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
I checked the forum this morning and was surprised to see no mention of this.

How do you think this will affect the conference and rivalry with Craig Bohl gone next year?

Is Transam Bison crying today? Lakes must be on suicide watch.

I am surprised he announced this while his current team is still playing. I would think protocol would dictate that he wait until the Bison finish the year.

Does he try to convince committed Bison recruits to change their mind and go to Wyoming? What do the current Bison recruits think when there coach leaves?

Can the Jacks swoop in and grab up some extra recruits from this?

JackJD
12-09-2013, 12:33 PM
You're late to the party, shot5533. I merged your thread into this one (couple of reasons: 1) didn't belong under SDSU football; and 2) this thread had been started Saturday).

da_coach
12-09-2013, 12:58 PM
I can't say that I blame him.

I KNEW the salary would be a jump up, and it is.

I do think Wyoming will possibly end up in the Big 12...they want to get back to 12 schools, and Wyoming is about the Closest Geographic-wise, school size, and Most importantly $$-wise.

It may not be in the works for this next year or two...but I could see it happen.

Congrats to Coach Bohl. Always liked him, even when he's kicked our tales. His teams play hard, solid, fundamental football... I think he was a wise choice for Wyoming, and I do think he will end up with a 3rd National Title, as this year's Bison team is just loaded.

BigGoosie13
12-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Wyoming is not going to receive an invite from the B12, this is simply a rumor started by someone in the North Dakota media trying to find another way of justifying why Bohl would go to a MWC program. The Laramie-Cheyenne market is even smaller than the Brookings-Sioux Falls market by 90,000 people, their is no media market to be had, no recruiting grounds to gain, and quite simply Wyo's stadium is too small and they currently have a budget that is $20 million short of the smallest B12 budget. Denver is the closest metro and has shown that it doesn't care about the B12 or else Colorado would still be there. Bohl going to Wyoming serves a as a reality check for the FCS, we are the third tier of CF (1. BCS, 2. Rest of FBS, 3. FCS).

Back to the B12 now, if/or when they expand they would mostly likely try to desperately court Florida State, Clemson, or even Notre Dame (if/when the times comes they have to join a conference for all sports) first. The second tier of teams they would go after would most likely be Cincinnati, BYU, Central Florida, or South Florida. Then they would have to probably suck up their pride and go for a SMU or Houston. UConn would also have an small, outside chance. Boise State would probably have a decent chance if they just had more academic prestige (can't escape the Juco stigma even though they haven't been one in 60 years). The B12 showed they don't care about geography the moment they invited WV.

jack power
12-09-2013, 02:19 PM
I can't say that I blame him.

I KNEW the salary would be a jump up, and it is.

I do think Wyoming will possibly end up in the Big 12...they want to get back to 12 schools, and Wyoming is about the Closest Geographic-wise, school size, and Most importantly $$-wise.

It may not be in the works for this next year or two...but I could see it happen.

Congrats to Coach Bohl. Always liked him, even when he's kicked our tales. His teams play hard, solid, fundamental football... I think he was a wise choice for Wyoming, and I do think he will end up with a 3rd National Title, as this year's Bison team is just loaded.
Crazy talk. See: BigGoosie13 post

jack power
12-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Overview on Bohl's salary: http://trib.com/news/opinion/blogs/cowboys/wyoming-coach-craig-bohl-s-general-contract-overview/article_75b70be9-0ebd-5834-9a0c-be212b13fe08.html

bigticket1
12-09-2013, 07:08 PM
I think that pretty much sums it up. More money. He has accomplished about all he can at the FCS level. If he gets WYO consistently near the top of the MWC, it'll be a miracle and he'll cement his legend. At some point, you have to think about your future. If somebody dangled three times as much money in front of me, even if it wasn't my dream job, I would almost certainly take it and so would most people. Good for him. He has earned it.
If the Bison win out as expected and three-peat , Bohl would have been foolish to stay. He's created expectations that are almost superhuman , especially with the fan base to the north. Lots of seniors will be gone and it will take awhile to get back to this level. There seem to be a fairly large number of Jacks fans that are upset at making the playoffs and winning only one game. Could you imagine the outcry from up north if NDSU doesn't make the playoffs next year or loses in the first round ? I think that Bohl realized that he has created expectations that even he could not continue to achieve.

FargoBison
12-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Overview on Bohl's salary: http://trib.com/news/opinion/blogs/cowboys/wyoming-coach-craig-bohl-s-general-contract-overview/article_75b70be9-0ebd-5834-9a0c-be212b13fe08.html

The salary for Wyoming assistant pool will be $1.3 million...that is a serious chunk of change.

RowdyRabbit
12-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Nailed it. Oh yes.

RowdyRabbit
12-09-2013, 09:37 PM

The thing that boggles me is he's getting ALL of that, plus his house partially paid for (monthly taxes anyway). It's along the lines of a multi-million dollar NFL star who is the Super Bowl MVP and gets a free car....do they "really" need the free car too?

Anyhow, that's how it works I guess. Best of luck to him his remaining time in Fargo and as he takes over in Laramie.

jack power
12-09-2013, 10:46 PM
The thing that boggles me is he's getting ALL of that, plus his house partially paid for (monthly taxes anyway). It's along the lines of a multi-million dollar NFL star who is the Super Bowl MVP and gets a free car....do they "really" need the free car too?

Anyhow, that's how it works I guess. Best of luck to him his remaining time in Fargo and as he takes over in Laramie.
Yeah, where's the car allowance? I figured with realistic incentives,he'll make about $965,000 his first year. Not a bad gig for the MWC.

jack power
12-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Nailed it. Oh yes.
Yes you did nail it. I'm not so sure NDSU had much of a choice if he really is going to pilfer the rest of the staff.

Nidaros
12-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Yes you did nail it. I'm not so sure NDSU had much of a choice if he really is going to pilfer the rest of the staff.

This point of taking the staff with him is interesting. His staff has been successful at the FCS level, but will the success continue at the FBS level? I can think of one former NDSU coach Don Morton, who took his staff to Tulsa and on to U of Wisconsin. In that group was a former SDSU coach Mike Daley, who subsequently was relatively successful at SDSU. Also in that group was Craig Bohl and at Wisconsin, Morton hired a grad assistant, John Stigilemiere. There were others too, but the my point is: Can a group of coaches continue to make all the right decisions and choices at the next level? The train wreck of the Joe Glenn success train also comes to mind.

We will find out next season and subsequent seasons. Five years down the road, Wyoming could be looking for another coach, that is what I am saying because of not getting enough wins, or the program has lost it's moral integrity. Would Bohl be smart to abandon everyone at NDSU and hand pick his own staff based on FBS coaching experience? Another question!

Thumper 76
12-10-2013, 08:26 AM
Well I would say his staff he has is already hand picked by him. Smarter to go into a new team with a staff you know and trust than having to meld a new staff as well as a new team.

Nidaros
12-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Well I would say his staff he has is already hand picked by him. Smarter to go into a new team with a staff you know and trust than having to meld a new staff as well as a new team.

Something tells me there are a whole bunch of differences between FCS and FBS besides 20 some scholarships. There is a whole different political arena to deal with so what each coach does or does not do is very important. Maybe and I suspect, Craig Bohl has talked to Joe Glenn about things that went wrong in his era at Wyoming. There has to be some very influential individuals among the Cowboy boosters to come up with the money that they have on hand to pay Craig Bohl. He is going to have to win or else.

On the other hand it could work and lead to a better job yet.

goon
12-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Even thought the assistants could make more going with bohl the desire for many cordinators is to become a head coach. If I were a cordinator at ndsu I would seriously entertain the idea if I could about becoming a headcoach. Also ndsu might try to keep some like promote a O cord to head coach and QB coachto O cord etc. So I don't think its as simple as if he wants to take his whole staff as is to the next level. Plus he probably has plenty of other connections with coaches at different levels who might be more then ready to step into that situation with him. Ndsu might try to keep some staff or give um new positions so they have the same people out recruiting and such. Just a thought.

Nidaros
12-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Even thought the assistants could make more going with bohl the desire for many cordinators is to become a head coach. If I were a cordinator at ndsu I would seriously entertain the idea if I could about becoming a headcoach. Also ndsu might try to keep some like promote a O cord to head coach and QB coachto O cord etc. So I don't think its as simple as if he wants to take his whole staff as is to the next level. Plus he probably has plenty of other connections with coaches at different levels who might be more then ready to step into that situation with him. Ndsu might try to keep some staff or give um new positions so they have the same people out recruiting and such. Just a thought. I read on a blog that Bohl is keeping one of the Wyo guys to have some continuity. I suspect one of the NDSU guys will stay behind as an assistant or might get the nod for HC. This how we got Coach Stig. He was hired by Wayne Haensel, but was the only one retained by Mike Daly. I guess that paid off for Coach Stig.

joeboo22
12-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I read on a blog that Bohl is keeping one of the Wyo guys to have some continuity. I suspect one of the NDSU guys will stay behind as an assistant or might get the nod for HC. This how we got Coach Stig. He was hired by Wayne Haensel, but was the only one retained by Mike Daly. I guess that paid off for Coach Stig.

Money talks, yes being a HC might change the minds of any, but at the same point does NDSU want to give it to some coordinator with no head coaching experience when they are a big enough name to get either a guy with HC experience or possibly a big name coordinator at a big name school.

I heard that argument when Nagy interviewed at Ball State, that SDSU was a big enough name to go out and get someone, rather then to give it to Hansen who had no HC experience.

My guess is they go national search, and quite possibly interview someone from the current staff, but I'd be shocked if they just handed over the reigns to someone on the staff.

bigticket1
12-10-2013, 10:30 AM
I read on a blog that Bohl is keeping one of the Wyo guys to have some continuity. I suspect one of the NDSU guys will stay behind as an assistant or might get the nod for HC. This how we got Coach Stig. He was hired by Wayne Haensel, but was the only one retained by Mike Daly. I guess that paid off for Coach Stig.
Since Bohl probably won't be in Laramie for awhile , he almost had to keep at least one of the current staff to maintain recruiting ties and contacts.

91jack
12-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Holy Smokes! 3 threads started at the same time!

I'm very surprised as well. But, Money talks...and...NDSU has ALOT of talented seniors...could be the end of the run, and Bohl maybe didn't want to go through the rebuilding process again?

I think there are a lot of coaches that move on when their stock is high. They can see that they are losing several of their good players and if they don't move up then, they might not get the chance again for several years. I could be wrong on some of these but they are some examples the I can think of.
NDSU"s MBB coach (Miles) after Woodside, Winkelman, etc.. moved on.
USD"s football coach Ed. He might have been pushed out the door but he lost a lot of talent his last year.
SF Washington's head football coach. I know that his son graduated and is playing at Montana but it sure worked out great that there were a ton of great players in that class.
USD's WBB coach. This might be stretching it a bit but didn't they lose Hegge, Boss and Roach and then he moved on. I still think that Hegge should have been the conference players of the year.

I think NDSU will still be good next year but I'm fairly sure that they wont be a top 15 team and wont win the conference next year. I just think that they lose too much. I definitely don't see NDSU being as bad as they were after they lost their last big class but they will drop some.

Nidaros
12-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Since Bohl probably won't be in Laramie for awhile , he almost had to keep at least one of the current staff to maintain recruiting ties and contacts.

Makes sense to me. Plus, this guy will be a source for the things not to do right off the bat. I was listening to KFGO, Joe Heitkamp who had several callers questioning the timing of the announcement, and Joe explained that WYO was forcing the issue since they had to let all their recruits verbaled to date, that they had a coach coming in (Bohl). The timing was anyone else's choice than Craig Bohl's. I don't know the history about coach that Bohl is replacing. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.

FargoBison
12-10-2013, 11:10 AM
I think there are a lot of coaches that move on when their stock is high. They can see that they are losing several of their good players and if they don't move up then, they might not get the chance again for several years. I could be wrong on some of these but they are some examples the I can think of.
NDSU"s MBB coach (Miles) after Woodside, Winkelman, etc.. moved on.
USD"s football coach Ed. He might have been pushed out the door but he lost a lot of talent his last year.
SF Washington's head football coach. I know that his son graduated and is playing at Montana but it sure worked out great that there were a ton of great players in that class.
USD's WBB coach. This might be stretching it a bit but didn't they lose Hegge, Boss and Roach and then he moved on. I still think that Hegge should have been the conference players of the year.

I think NDSU will still be good next year but I'm fairly sure that they wont be a top 15 team and wont win the conference next year. I just think that they lose too much. I definitely don't see NDSU being as bad as they were after they lost their last big class but they will drop some.

Miles left NDSU after Woodside's sophomore season.

FargoBison
12-10-2013, 11:13 AM
This point of taking the staff with him is interesting. His staff has been successful at the FCS level, but will the success continue at the FBS level? I can think of one former NDSU coach Don Morton, who took his staff to Tulsa and on to U of Wisconsin. In that group was a former SDSU coach Mike Daley, who subsequently was relatively successful at SDSU. Also in that group was Craig Bohl and at Wisconsin, Morton hired a grad assistant, John Stigilemiere. There were others too, but the my point is: Can a group of coaches continue to make all the right decisions and choices at the next level? The train wreck of the Joe Glenn success train also comes to mind.

We will find out next season and subsequent seasons. Five years down the road, Wyoming could be looking for another coach, that is what I am saying because of not getting enough wins, or the program has lost it's moral integrity. Would Bohl be smart to abandon everyone at NDSU and hand pick his own staff based on FBS coaching experience? Another question!

Bohl had a lot of assistants from FBS schools early in his tenure at NDSU. He never could get any of them to stick around very long and eventually that became an issue. What has worked best for him is to find guys from lower levels, they have been much more loyal to him.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
12-10-2013, 11:52 AM

I think Bohl will be successful at Wyoming if they have the patience to let him coach for 5 years. There were lots of NDSU fans who would have been happy to see him leave after going 9-13 in 08 and 09 and losing 3 in a row to SDSU. There will be less patience at Wyoming.

His Bison teams the last 3 years would have finished ahead of Wyoming in the conference standings, IMO. He will be able to get better recruits than those currently playing at NDSU.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
12-10-2013, 11:58 AM
If I'm one of Bohl's assistants, no way I'm staying if I have a chance to leave.

I'd say there is a 75% chance the next head coach will "fail" in the eyes of fans. The chances of the majority of NDSU fans being really happy with the next hire in 3 years are pretty slim.

This will be the general sentiment at Bisonville in the next 5 years:

"Yeah, we don't suck. But when Bohl left we were the premier program in FCS, and this clown can't even make it to the semis? How did we fall so far?"

Far different situation than coming in an replacing a "bad" head coach with losing seasons. If Bohl is semi successful at Wyoming, chances are any of his assistants could waltz back into the NDSU job within 5 years. And they will be looked at as a potential savior instead of "not Bohl."

goon
12-10-2013, 01:16 PM
If I'm one of Bohl's assistants, no way I'm staying if I have a chance to leave.

I'd say there is a 75% chance the next head coach will "fail" in the eyes of fans. The chances of the majority of NDSU fans being really happy with the next hire in 3 years are pretty slim.

"Yeah, we don't suck. But when Bohl left we were the premier program in FCS, and this clown can't even make it to the semis? How did we fall so far?"

Far different situation than coming in an replacing a "bad" head coach with losing seasons. If Bohl is semi successful at Wyoming, chances are any of his assistants could waltz back into the NDSU job within 5 years. And they will be looked at as a potential savior instead of "not Bohl."

My guess with out checking is the ndsu cordinators have just as good of a chance with ndsu fans as a new guy who hasn't maybe coached as much at the level they have. Let's face it Bohl would have had a hard time if he doesn't get back to the playoffs. If he stayed and missed the playoffs or booted early rounds he would be in the hot seat at ndsu even with possible 3 titles. Its hard to follow that sucsess for anyone. I would think some current ndsu guys who want to move up their title might consider staying and applying even with a national search.

FargoBison
12-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Rumors are that DC Chris Klieman will be NDSU's next head coach...

MontanaRabbit
12-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Rumors are that DC Chris Klieman will be NDSU's next head coach...

Does that mean Bohl is still sticking around for the playoff run?

If true, why not let Klieman take over now?

FargoBison
12-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Does that mean Bohl is still sticking around for the playoff run?

If true, why not let Klieman take over now?

I don't know, Taylor seemed to make it pretty clear that Bohl will be the coach. It is a weird situation.

jack power
12-10-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't know, Taylor seemed to make it pretty clear that Bohl will be the coach. It is a weird situation.

"A Michigan man is gonna coach Michigan" - Bo Schembechler

yoteforever
12-10-2013, 03:48 PM

Somewhat like sentiment on your board about Stig?

Nidaros
12-10-2013, 04:45 PM

This was often my thinking in D2 days about NDSU. One HC after another left for green pastures, and I thought the cup would soon go dry, but it never happened, because the resources were there no matter who was coach, and true NDSU lost 22 seniors and a bunch of regulars this season, but there are bunch of good players who are second and third stringers who have never seen the field unless there was a blow out. I expect NDSU to be a top program in the MVFC next year. Don't count them out.

MontanaRabbit
12-10-2013, 05:08 PM
This was often my thinking in D2 days about NDSU. One HC after another left for green pastures, and I thought the cup would soon go dry, but it never happened, because the resources were there no matter who was coach, and true NDSU lost 22 seniors and a bunch of regulars this season, but there are bunch of good players who are second and third stringers who have never seen the field unless there was a blow out. I expect NDSU to be a top program in the MVFC next year. Don't count them out.

He didn't say they wouldn't compete for the MVFC title. He's referring to National Championships. Pretty sure NDSU fans won't be happy with a 2nd place finish in conference next year.

Hammersmith
12-10-2013, 05:39 PM
If the Klieman rumor holds true, I would guess Bohl grabs Hazelton from Nevada for a DC. It would be a win-win-win-win. Bohl gets a DC he knows who also happens to have Rocky Mountain recruiting and MWC general knowledge. Hazelton gets about a $100k bump in salary. Kleiman gets a $100k bump in salary plus the chance to see if he's HC material. NDSU gets continuity and the recruits are less likely to bolt.

goon
12-10-2013, 08:27 PM
If the Klieman rumor holds true, I would guess Bohl grabs Hazelton from Nevada for a DC. It would be a win-win-win-win. Bohl gets a DC he knows who also happens to have Rocky Mountain recruiting and MWC general knowledge. Hazelton gets about a $100k bump in salary. Kleiman gets a $100k bump in salary plus the chance to see if he's HC material. NDSU gets continuity and the recruits are less likely to bolt.

I figured it might work something like that. Bohl moves on the next guy is deserving to step up and be the hc yet Bohl has potential guys to fill in when or if some of his current staff stays in new positions at ndsu. Like charlie sheen said is that's like double bi-winning.

shot_5533
12-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Craig Bohl loves his planes.

Of course Wyoming would want him to announce ASAP in order to keep their recruits. It will be interesting to see how many of the NDSU recruits jump ship. I certainly would. This is a great opportunity for SDSU to pick up some unhappy campers. All is fair in the realm of D1 football.

If there were odds in FCS, I wonder how much they changed for the game since this was announced? It is now ripe for a very large upset. Losing your head coach before a game is very traumatic.

This is America and Coach Bohl has every right to better himself. But, besides the money how much better is Wyoming? I know some recruits would prefer SDSU and NDSU to playing at Wyoming. It is a long way for their family to come watch them play.

My theory is Coach Bohl was up for and really wanted the Gopher job that Coach Kill got. Coach Kill had to move up from Southern Illinois to Northern Illinois to get hired at a Big Ten University. It appears this is the path Craig Bohl is taking with a very nice salary and perks. Go Cowboys Go.

The other benefit for SDSU is this further opens up the state of Minnesota for SDSU recruiting. Minnesota has only one D1 football/basketball team (threw in basketball because Wolters is from St Cloud MN). Coach Bohl had a definite pipeline with Minnesota players. This now ends. Coach Kill is recruiting fewer Minnesota players. SDSU now has a real opportunity for Minnesota recruits and to start the Minnesota pipeline. I now count 16 Minnesota players on the Jacks current roster including notables R C Kilgore, Cam Jones, Schneider, and Zach Zenner. And you may as well throw in Brian Witzmann because he lives right on the border. Not bad players. Not? I count 34 Minnesota players on the Bison roster. You think Craig Bohl will try to keep that Minnesota connection going to Wyoming? You betcha he will. Stig has a real opportunity here. Lets get that stadium built!

I will miss Craig Bohl because no other coach was as fun to beat. It will be fun having the Dakota Marker next year!

Nidaros
12-11-2013, 06:03 PM
I been looking at the WYO website, and Bohl will inherit good talent on offense so the website states. His predecessor was there for 5 years and got the axe for having a 25 and 37 Win-loss record. About 40%. Joe Glenn's record was 30-41,and preceded Dave Christensen. Wyo. has had some great coaches, some have stayed only one year. Those would include Pat Dye and Dennis Erickson.

ringthebells
12-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Craig Bohl loves his planes.

Of course Wyoming would want him to announce ASAP in order to keep their recruits. It will be interesting to see how many of the NDSU recruits jump ship. I certainly would. This is a great opportunity for SDSU to pick up some unhappy campers. All is fair in the realm of D1 football.

If there were odds in FCS, I wonder how much they changed for the game since this was announced? It is now ripe for a very large upset. Losing your head coach before a game is very traumatic.

This is America and Coach Bohl has every right to better himself. But, besides the money how much better is Wyoming? I know some recruits would prefer SDSU and NDSU to playing at Wyoming. It is a long way for their family to come watch them play.

My theory is Coach Bohl was up for and really wanted the Gopher job that Coach Kill got. Coach Kill had to move up from Southern Illinois to Northern Illinois to get hired at a Big Ten University. It appears this is the path Craig Bohl is taking with a very nice salary and perks. Go Cowboys Go.

The other benefit for SDSU is this further opens up the state of Minnesota for SDSU recruiting. Minnesota has only one D1 football/basketball team (threw in basketball because Wolters is from St Cloud MN). Coach Bohl had a definite pipeline with Minnesota players. This now ends. Coach Kill is recruiting fewer Minnesota players. SDSU now has a real opportunity for Minnesota recruits and to start the Minnesota pipeline. I now count 16 Minnesota players on the Jacks current roster including notables R C Kilgore, Cam Jones, Schneider, and Zach Zenner. And you may as well throw in Brian Witzmann because he lives right on the border. Not bad players. Not? I count 34 Minnesota players on the Bison roster. You think Craig Bohl will try to keep that Minnesota connection going to Wyoming? You betcha he will. Stig has a real opportunity here. Lets get that stadium built!

I will miss Craig Bohl because no other coach was as fun to beat. It will be fun having the Dakota Marker next year!

For Bohl to be successful at the FBS level, he is going to have to have better players than he has recruited at NDSU. Some of those guys would be great at the FBS level, but overall he will have to upgrade the recruiting. I have no doubt at all that he will be able to accomplish this goal. He has recruited to Nebraska. He knows what it takes to play at that level and he obviously can sell kids on playing in a god forsaken area. Bohl and company will be fine. I'm interested to see what happens with NDSU. That could either be a trainwreck or championship as usual. A few down years and the luster of Gameday and all the championships will give way to cold isolation in the Netherlands.

jack power
12-11-2013, 10:37 PM
For Bohl to be successful at the FBS level, he is going to have to have better players than he has recruited at NDSU. Some of those guys would be great at the FBS level, but overall he will have to upgrade the recruiting. I have no doubt at all that he will be able to accomplish this goal. He has recruited to Nebraska. He knows what it takes to play at that level and he obviously can sell kids on playing in a god forsaken area. Bohl and company will be fine. I'm interested to see what happens with NDSU. That could either be a trainwreck or championship as usual. A few down years and the luster of Gameday and all the championships will give way to cold isolation in the Netherlands.
lmao

joeboo22
12-15-2013, 04:56 PM
I been looking at the WYO website, and Bohl will inherit good talent on offense so the website states. His predecessor was there for 5 years and got the axe for having a 25 and 37 Win-loss record. About 40%. Joe Glenn's record was 30-41,and preceded Dave Christensen. Wyo. has had some great coaches, some have stayed only one year. Those would include Pat Dye and Dennis Erickson.

Assuming their QB Brett Smith comes back, their offense will be alright. The defense is and has been the issue for quite some time their.

UWMandSDSU
12-26-2013, 11:56 PM
NDSU (Wyoming) coaches are now are starting to offer recruits who they were offering to come to NDSU. So much for the clause that was in Bohl's NDSU contract (which was going to be near impossible to enforce in the first place).

None of the verbals have changed their decisions.