D-line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-line

I realize I was vocal about the way the d-line was always 1-2 yds off the ball earlier this season. Anyone else notice most of the time(not always) they are closer and since then more aggressive. Only surrendering 32 pts the last 4 games. I think EWU will score but I like what Mr Brown is bringing. A little heat, more stunts and it seems like the d-line is playing more downhill. What Langer has accomplished impresses me greatly. He is a true freshman that is playing a position he and the coaches never considered until 2 days into fall camp if I'm not mistaken. Going to be fun to watch him another 3 years. LaBlance has flashed and improved all season. Douglas, Peete and Peugh continue to show the true leaders they are. Sherlock and Plote have filled in admirably. Special shout out to Burke who has lost time, he could have hung his head and been mad, no he grabs his lunch pail goes to work and gives his all. Excellent testament to a few of the young men we have on that team. But hey, we know how special those guys are.

Re: D-line

Completely agree with Jackedforlife's comments.

During the last few games, I've taken some time to just watch Langer. You don't always hear his name but he is scrambling around and raising havoc and if he isn't directly involved in a tackle, he can probably get some credit for disrupting the offense in some manner that he indirectly contributed to the tackle. The guy moves sideways quicker than a lot of people move forward.

The defensive line looked like blitzing linebackers during the fourth quarter of the NAU game. Had to feel a little sorry for the NAU offensive line -- they were getting pounded and it was taking a tremendous toll leading to complete breakdowns on some plays. (Ask the backup quarterback -- bet he's still real sore today.)

Comment

Stig mentioned after one of the games that Clint Brown had challenged a number of his players to step, and its working. I thought Jay would be hard to replace and he was but Clint can only get better in his coaching and probably has a better concept of who he should be recruiting.

Comment

In my opinion, Doug Peete will be the toughest player on the field to replace for next year.

His combination of size and mobility allows him to line up all over the place, and he is the most disruptive player in the opposing team's backfield for the Jacks since Danny Batten. Not sure if we have anyone with the same physical attributes on the roster, and if we do, they're probably pretty raw in terms of intangibles.

That being said, I think the defensive line as a whole has a few more games left in their career
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Moving Langer into the Starting Line-up at DT has certainly helped with consistency. He's just more dependable play in and play out.

Doug Peete is a great player, and has been all year.

Chase Douglas got Hurt vs NDSU...missed the end of the game, and maybe a game or two after that? NOt a coincidence that the D-Line improved on his return.

Peugh has played through ankle trouble all year. He hurt it in one of the early games...and I remember seeing him get checked out of the game at a couple different home games...but he always goes back out there.

So, it's not surprising when our top guys are all out there, and not missing time...that they are playing better.

What is disconcerting, is that 3 of them are Seniors...and The D-Line will be a complete makeover next season. Our backups, other than Langer who is now a starter, and Sherlock... are largely invisible. Hopefully with experience will come better play.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
            M

What is disconcerting, is that 3 of them are Seniors...and The D-Line will be a complete makeover next season. Our backups, other than Langer who is now a starter, and Sherlock... are largely invisible. Hopefully with experience will come better play.
            I think I have seen J.R. Plote and Austen LaBlanc in every once in a while in recent weeks and that experience will only help. But yes, I would expect us to be thin.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Against a team like EWU the line needs to get in tight and just get their hands up, bat some balls and make Adams uncomfortable. We have a capable group of 6-8 guys rotating in. The phrase that comes to mind is "disciplined and relentless".

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                Against a team like EWU the line needs to get in tight and just get their hands up, bat some balls and make Adams uncomfortable. We have a capable group of 6-8 guys rotating in. The phrase that comes to mind is "disciplined and relentless".

Yes,the guys rotating in are "the" guys,according to Stig,they have to play with the same intensity and desire. I think the whole team has committed themselves to playing hard and making things happen,instead of hoping things happen.Thats makes for a nightmare for opposing teams.

Comment

Working...
                X