Credit where it is sometimes forgotten - the Big Guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit where it is sometimes forgotten - the Big Guys

After watching the game yesterday, I was struck by One Thing: Our OL and DL just totally dominated their lines physically, on almost every play. According to TV, the YSU coach said this after the game yesterday:

"I think probably the most frustrating thing for us as a program right now is the way we were handled at the line of scrimmage today,” said YSU coach Eric Wolford, whose club is seeking its first playoff berth since 2006. “I think that was pretty glaring on both sides of the ball.”

It seems to me that one of the reasons the move to D-1 has been such a success, to the degree that it has, is that the Jackrabbits have always recruited and developed top O- and D-linemen, and as long as we continue to do that, we will be successful. Some of those holes that the RB's were running through were four-, five- six yards wide. And the D-Line was pressuring the whole day; someone had revved their motors.

Re: Credit where it is sometimes forgotten - the Big Guys

The D-line (Chase Douglas) even blocked an extra point. That's hard to do. Great game by the bigs.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Love this thread! Our OL has really started to roll even though they seem to lose a starter about every week, plus Vejvoda, Benedetto, and Strehlow have been hammers as well from the TE and FB slots. Sumner hasn't really been touch this last month, and has also had a lot of room to work with in moving around in the pocket and running. Our whole DL as really started to ball. Peete, Peugh, and Sherlock have been in the backfield and Douglas has basically formed an immovable spot in the middle of the line...but maybe the most impressive have been the way Langer and Lablance have really stepped up, both of them have been legitimately playing from sideline to sideline the last 4 games. Burke went from a starter to the 4th DT in the rotation because of the way these two have stepped up. USD and YSU just didn't have anywhere to run because our DL was filling all the holes....Peete, Peugh, and Sherlock did an awesome job of taking away the read option and qb scrambles the last two games.

Comment

How healthy are we on the two lines and whose not available?

Comment

LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE FAT GUYS!!!!!!

Jackrabbits will advance as far as our O-Lines and D-lines will take us. Zenner, Sumner were skating easily down the field at both USD and YSU because of the outstanding efforts up front.

NDSU was the only team to really bottle up the Rabbits in the trenches.

Hope the two lines can carry the day, first in Flagstaff, then Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE FAT GUYS!!!!!!

Jackrabbits will advance as far as our O-Lines and D-lines will take us. Zenner, Sumner were skating easily down the field at both USD and YSU because of the outstanding efforts up front.

NDSU was the only team to really bottle up the Rabbits in the trenches.

Hope the two lines can carry the day, first in Flagstaff, then Cheney.
            I remember 1986, the first year I lived in Nebraska and traveled to the Jack games. Seems like we had a very good lineman named Jay Parker from Pierre, and a good running back Dan Sonnek. Now in 2013, we have Alex Parker, Jay's son, and ZZ. Some things remain the same. BUT HATS OFF TO THE FAT GUYS.

Comment

You expected this out of the O-line from day 1. Lot of experienced upper classmen there. Seems like the Jacks have always had an O-line like you said. As well as always having great RB to block for. I wouldn't be surprised to see Witzman get a NFL tryout or even drafted.

What was the change with the D-line? Do you think they are fresher from adding more to the rotation? Healthier? Scheme change? Coaching? They are the key to this defense -keep the other team off the Jack's Linebackers.

Go Big.
              Go Fat Guys.
              Go Blue.
              Go Jacks.

Comment

this was the second absolutely dominating week for the big guys on both sides of the ball. Absolutely controlled LOS after that one NAU score.

Comment

Yes, D player of the day, according to Tyler Merriman and team, was the D-line. Just had the Lumberjacks back and QB bottled the 2nd half. 0 yards in the 2nd half until junk time. And the O-line had gapping holes, and sealed edges on sweeps really well.

The high altitude really took a toll on the Jacks last night.

LumberJacks not Jackrabbits thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I remember 1986, the first year I lived in Nebraska and traveled to the Jack games. Seems like we had a very good lineman named Jay Parker from Pierre, and a good running back Dan Sonnek. Now in 2013, we have Alex Parker, Jay's son, and ZZ. Some things remain the same. BUT HATS OFF TO THE FAT GUYS.
                    Jay was a tight end.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                      Jay was a tight end.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Their interim coach was not exactly complimentary of the Jackrabbits, more critical of his own guys.

http://azdailysun.com/sports/nau-lum...a4bcf887a.html

Comment

Working...
                        X