2013 Playoff Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Playoff Bracketology

I posted this link under a different thread. I think the topic of bracketology in the FCS and how it pertains to this years SDSU team deserves it own thread. If you have any questions about the rules or principles that guide selection go here:

http://www.ncaa.com/fcs-selections-101

This link has been provided by others and shows a mock bracket from 11/16

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/...l/bracketology

What it comes down to is 11 automatic bids, 13 at large, 8 seeded teams (seeded teams can be autobids or at-large) with byes and 16 teams slated to play first round games. FCS considers multiple factors when selecting teams. Number of DI wins IS NOT one of the rules. Regional influence has the potential to greatly influence the vote. I don't know which individuals represent our region but it greatly matters if they are MVFC supporters or if the are Big Sky or otherwise.

I don't see any possible way the Jackrabbits aren't included in the 13 at-large. 8-4 overall, 5-3 for 2nd place tie in MVFC, 2 wins over playoff teams with a loss to #1 NDSU and to the Huskers. Jackrabbits should finish in the top 15 if not top 10 in the polls with fewer than 13 at large teams ahead of the Jackrabbits in the polls. This site includes some rankings have uncertain relevance, strength of schedule, competitive rankings and point margin:

http://therank.net/cfb/ncaa/fcs/schedule/

Where we play and who we play is where the regional influence will have the greatest impact. Hosting is based on several factors some of which can be controlled and some that cannot. First round games are sheduled based on regional interest and travel with the only rule being that teams from the same conference that have played during the regular season will not play in the 1st round. The voice for the MVFC, SDSU, NDSU, YSU and UNI has to be a strong advocate. I have no idea who that is, how that is decided and what history there is.

I'm just crazy enough to think the Jackrabbits deserve consideration for a 7 or 8 seed. Close in conferences losses to SIU and Missouri St with the 2 wins over playoff teams is a pretty strong resume. Does the dominant victory over EIU in the playoffs last year get consideration? I don't think seeds should go to autobid teams or at large teams from non-scholarship conferences that are much weaker than the MVFC. I don't think they usually do. Hoping for a home playoff game next Saturday. See you all at CAS.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: 2013 Playoff Bracketology

Tyler said on the broadcast that the index used to rank teams (same as the RPI in basketball) had the Jacks at #12 and Youngstown at #9 going into the game today. You know we jump Youngstown , and could get to 8 or 9 if a couple of teams ranked from 7 to 10 lost today.

Comment

Yeah that's the Gridiron Power Index (GPI). http://www.collegesportingnews.com/c...-Final-Weekend

#5 Maine lost, #9 YSU lost, #10 Sam Houston St lost, #11 Coastal Carolina lost (To South Carolina). So yeah we should jump into the top 10 in GPI.

Comment

SE LA is number 4 and we beat them. McNeese St is number 7 and they got drilled by UNI. I know you gotta win your games but the MVFC was the top conference in FCS, doesnt that mean anything.

Comment

I don't see us playing Montana in the first round, they should be a top 8 seed and get a bye.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
            SE LA is number 4 and we beat them. McNeese St is number 7 and they got drilled by UNI. I know you gotta win your games but the MVFC was the top conference in FCS, doesnt that mean anything.
            Exactly...also look at EIU,horribly overrated......my guess is EIU has about the same results as last year in the playoffs. These other conferences blow. The YSU fan base needs to stop lamenting that they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. They suck...but they suck in the Missouri Valley and that is better than 95% of the field.
            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              Exactly...also look at EIU,horribly overrated......my guess is EIU has about the same results as last year in the playoffs. These other conferences blow. The YSU fan base needs to stop lamenting that they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. They suck...but they suck in the Missouri Valley and that is better than 95% of the field.
              Disagree about EIU. If they have found a defense, and in the games of theirs that I watched, they have, EIU is legit #2. NIU (undefeated, #15 FBS) escaped with a less than TD win over EIU. EIU blew out the other SDSU. That SDSU will finish with only Mt. West loss to undefeated Fresno St.

We were very fortunate to play SELA early in the season, conference form, I doubt we would beat the Lions.

It will be very interesting if UNI gets a play-off spots. If they do, it's proof that SOS, and tight losses in that schedule is rewarded in the new prioritization. Losing 3 straight OT games is not a death trap. But that means that the selection committee is looking beyond UNI's 8th (out of 10) place finish in the MVFC.

Comment

I don't care what happens as long as State doesn't see NDSU in the second round.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I posted this link under a different thread. I think the topic of bracketology in the FCS and how it pertains to this years SDSU team deserves it own thread. If you have any questions about the rules or principles that guide selection go here:

http://www.ncaa.com/fcs-selections-101

This link has been provided by others and shows a mock bracket from 11/16

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/...l/bracketology

What it comes down to is 11 automatic bids, 13 at large, 8 seeded teams (seeded teams can be autobids or at-large) with byes and 16 teams slated to play first round games. FCS considers multiple factors when selecting teams. Number of DI wins IS NOT one of the rules. Regional influence has the potential to greatly influence the vote. I don't know which individuals represent our region but it greatly matters if they are MVFC supporters or if the are Big Sky or otherwise.

I don't see any possible way the Jackrabbits aren't included in the 13 at-large. 8-4 overall, 5-3 for 2nd place tie in MVFC, 2 wins over playoff teams with a loss to #1 NDSU and to the Huskers. Jackrabbits should finish in the top 15 if not top 10 in the polls with fewer than 13 at large teams ahead of the Jackrabbits in the polls. This site includes some rankings have uncertain relevance, strength of schedule, competitive rankings and point margin:

http://therank.net/cfb/ncaa/fcs/schedule/

Where we play and who we play is where the regional influence will have the greatest impact. Hosting is based on several factors some of which can be controlled and some that cannot. First round games are sheduled based on regional interest and travel with the only rule being that teams from the same conference that have played during the regular season will not play in the 1st round. The voice for the MVFC, SDSU, NDSU, YSU and UNI has to be a strong advocate. I have no idea who that is, how that is decided and what history there is.

I'm just crazy enough to think the Jackrabbits deserve consideration for a 7 or 8 seed. Close in conferences losses to SIU and Missouri St with the 2 wins over playoff teams is a pretty strong resume. Does the dominant victory over EIU in the playoffs last year get consideration? I don't think seeds should go to autobid teams or at large teams from non-scholarship conferences that are much weaker than the MVFC. I don't think they usually do. Hoping for a home playoff game next Saturday. See you all at CAS.
                  Our representative is Troy Dannen from UNI and this is his first year in the role. Also, the regionality has to be within 400 miles to make a major difference. Under that number, and the NCAA can bus you. Over that number, and they're forced to fly you. Once you're in the air, one school is pretty much like another cost-wise(with reasonable exceptions of course). If they pair you up with a team they expect you to beat, then NDSU will be your opponent in the second round(potentially UNI if they get selected). If they expect you to lose, then you could go almost anywhere for your second round game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                    Our representative is Troy Dannen from UNI and this is his first year in the role. Also, the regionality has to be within 400 miles to make a major difference. Under that number, and the NCAA can bus you. Over that number, and they're forced to fly you. Once you're in the air, one school is pretty much like another cost-wise(with reasonable exceptions of course). If they pair you up with a team they expect you to beat, then NDSU will be your opponent in the second round(potentially UNI if they get selected). If they expect you to lose, then you could go almost anywhere for your second round game.
                    Im going to flip out if NDSU is State's second round opponent.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Great. A UNI guy that hates XDSU's. Likely scenario is a home game against a cupcake and then a trip to NDSU.

More I think about it more I think Jacks should get a bye and a home game against one of the "expected losers". Didn't Illinois St get that last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        Im going to flip out if NDSU is State's second round opponent.
                        Agreed. This is annoying as hell. I think our VB team made the NCAA tourney three years out of four back when we were hot. Our first opponent every damn time? Minnesota; who was always ranked and normally in the top ten. Gets old real fast.

Comment

I think it could be SDSU at Montana in round 1.

Tough but winnable game for the Jacks...plus a chance at revenge.

Comment

TSN's Craig Haley is predicting a Tennessee State @ SDSU first round game with the winner going to Montana. I'd actually be okay with that. Anything but the Bison. He also has UNI in the field.

Comment

Tenn St at home the to Montana would be fantastic. I suspect Jacks will be at Montana and then in Fargo.

I have seen at Sam Houston State as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X