USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD

Like last week, it's the biggest game of the season for the Jackrabbits.

Should be a 10,000 (announced) crowd at the Dakota Dome on Saturday.

Some stat leaders for USD:

QB: Kevin Earl - 1494yds, 8TD, 6INT, 55.8 completion %.

RB: Trevor Bouma - 766 yds, 4.8 YPC, 3TD.
    RB: Jordan Roberts - 406 yds, 4.1 YPC, 3TD.

I know both backs may be banged up, so I'm not sure for their status this weekend. I would assume they would play, though.

WR1: Terrance Terry - 42 receptions, 365 yards, 8.7 YPC, 2TD
    WR2: Riley Donovan - 29 receptions, 491 yards, 16.9 YPC, 2 TD.

Donovan seems to be their big play receiver. He's not Greg Hardin fast, but he's a good receiver.

Defense:

Tyler Starr leads the team with 9 sacks.

Dyllon Knox leads the team with 3 INTs.

Also something I noticed: The Jacks have the top QB, RB, and WR statistically in the Missouri Valley. The offense gets a bad wrap sometimes but that is pretty impressive.

Re: USD

The Coyotees will bring pressure on Sumner, so he needs to feel that and move around it.....NO FUMBLES!
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

It is definately going to be a difficult win for the Jacks.

The Coyotes have had a year to adjust to playing at this level (which WAS a level up, unlike what many of their fans thought), and are improving.

They play better at home, in the Dome, and they will be playing in front of a packed house that will be absolutely stoked to see their team beat the "Big Brother"...and yes, there is no doubt which school is the big brother and which school is the little brother after last year.

The Jackrabbits are going to need to play mistake free, hit hard, and most of all play consistently to get the win. I'd like to say I'm confident that it will happen, but I am not. I do think it can happen...but I'm not confident...the Jacks have been too inconsistent this year to rely on.

I'll be watching from afar. Go get em Rabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        The Coyotees will bring pressure on Sumner, so he needs to feel that and move around it.....NO FUMBLES!
        Coyotes will be keying on Zenner and letting their stud Starr get pressure on Sumner. WR will need to be sharp, catch the ball. Coyotes have one of the top pass defenses in all of FCS and a top 50 defense overall. Hoping Zenner can establish something on the ground, I think the Jacks can and will run the ball well.

Coyotes offense is just average. Freshman QB and RB's. RB's are banged up. Terry is a very good receiver and he might really hurt us. Donovan appears to be the big play guy, 17 yds per catch. If the Jackrabbits D plays with discipline and doesn't allow big plays I think the young Coyotes will make mistakes.

I believe SDSU has a huge advantage in special teams. Never thought I'd say that earlier this year but things have come together nicely. Coyotes make a lot of mistakes on special teams, I think Jackrabbits will take advantage. Coyotes have been penalized frequently, a lot of personal fouls and stupid mistakes. I don't see why that won't continue to happen.

Jackrabbits should win this game. Control the clock on offense by establishing the run. Play disciplined on defense and let the Coyotes make mistakes. Continue the solid return game to help control field position and don't get burned by the "big play".

The only factor not controlled for is the crowd and I think thanks to Mr. Dykehouse there will be a large contingent of Jackrabbit fans. I will be very disappointed if the Jackrabbits don't come out on top.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Biggest game of the year for the Jackrabbits no doubt. Biggest win of the year for the casual fan of either team that has little interest or knowledge of the bigger picture and national FCS scene.

Jacks have not played 4 solid quarters of FB in any game this year. There has yet to be a game where I am convinced the offense, defense and special teams all brought their A game and best effort. I think they need to do that Saturday and I expect that they will. If that happens a Jackrabbit victory is almost certain. If that happens and the Coyotes still find a way to win, well then, they will have earned it.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

TV mentioned that some of the players aren't up to speed about the seriousness of the rivalry. Can some of you elaborate on this?

I know the Jack Blue hates anything colored Red. I know South Dakota didn't have the guts to go D 1 when SDSU and NDSU did. Ditto UND. I know SDSU has the better campus. Can some of you tell some stories about the history?

As for the present - big game for the Jacks. I still way they go 1-0 this week with a huge rivalry W. - I think Stig will have the better game plan and I expect that Zenner will run a lot. That is what I'd do - run Zenner. I just wish they'd get out of the pistol more and run play action, but that is a topic for another day.

Since I'm a fan, I can look ahead. I see them winning out at Youngstown too. Didn't say they would be easy, but their our enough upper classmen on this team to step up and win out. I've said before, the Jacks have Youngstown's number.

The Jacks can save the season. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
              TV mentioned that some of the players aren't up to speed about the seriousness of the rivalry. Can some of you elaborate on this?
              Similar to what AJ and Nagy have said. These kids grew up during the time when USD decided to remain DII and the rivalry ceased to exist on the court or playing field. They didn't participate in or see what those that were here during the DII years did. The players on the team are focused on a larger goal than beating the Coyotes.

That said, beating the Coyotes Saturday is imperative if the larger goal is to be realized. That should be all the motivation that is needed.

Comment

Mick Garry reported today that both USD RB's, Bouma (shoulder) and Roberts (knee) did not wear pads today and both are uncertain for the game.

Comment

This is the first time in 10 years that SDSU has played in Vermillion. The last time we played there the current players were roughly 9-12 years old and most of them grew up in states other than South Dakota.

It isn't surprising that they don't understand what the rivalry was like.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

I know the Jack Blue hates anything colored Red. I know South Dakota didn't have the guts to go D 1 when SDSU and NDSU did. Ditto UND. I know SDSU has the better campus. Can some of you tell some stories about the history?

As for the present - big game for the Jacks. I still way they go 1-0 this week with a huge rivalry W. - I think Stig will have the better game plan and I expect that Zenner will run a lot. That is what I'd do - run Zenner. I just wish they'd get out of the pistol more and run play action, but that is a topic for another day.

Since I'm a fan, I can look ahead. I see them winning out at Youngstown too. Didn't say they would be easy, but their our enough upper classmen on this team to step up and win out. I've said before, the Jacks have Youngstown's number.

The Jacks can save the season. Go Jacks!
                    Seriousness of the rivalry? I'll do you one better than sports.

Read the court case entitled State ex rel. Bryant v. Dolan, 249 N.W. 923 (S.D. 1933). This is only a snippet in time and not the first or last effort out of Vermillion to hamstring SDSU. An exerpt:

The plaintiffs and relators also ask this court to restrain the defendants, as the board of regents, from continuing at the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, at Brookings, “general professional courses in engineering, to-wit: civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and chemical engineering, and the following further courses, to-wit:

“College courses in music; college courses in journalism; commercial science courses, including general courses in economics, commerce, and business administration and advertising, sales management, transportation, public finance, corporate finance, investments, business forecasting, credit and collections, and retailing; courses in pharmacy; general science courses which include history, political science, journalism, sociology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, art, English, music, foreign languages, psychology, insurance, money and banking, education, courses in education and psychology, including general methods of teaching, observation and practice teaching, principles of secondary education, educational psychology, methods of teaching in high school, history of education, principles of supervision, special methods in social studies; educational administration, educational measurements, educational statistics, curriculum construction, supervised observation and practice teaching, education seminar, elementary psychology, intelligence tests, genetic psychology, social psychology, courses in graduate study not confined to agriculture or the natural sciences connected with agriculture or those sciences bearing directly upon the industrial arts and pursuits.”

The Court rejected this argument, obviously. Read the following article and you can figure out who the plaintiffs and relators were.

http://state.sdstateconnect.org/kiddish-trick/
                    Last edited by KUlawJack; 11-12-2013, 06:30 PM.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Has anybody heard anything about where there will be video for us out-of-staters? USD is on CBS and SDSU is on Neulion, and they don't share with each other, so gojacks is out. I don't see any listing for the game on ESPN3. Am I stuck with CoyoteVision? You would think that a sold-out game might be more widely available. If only MidcoSportsNet was on DirecTV.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                        Has anybody heard anything about where there will be video for us out-of-staters? USD is on CBS and SDSU is on Neulion, and they don't share with each other, so gojacks is out. I don't see any listing for the game on ESPN3. Am I stuck with CoyoteVision? You would think that a sold-out game might be more widely available. If only MidcoSportsNet was on DirecTV.
                        That would make my life easier too.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

You could find a good Freind/relitive and get it online on MidSN using their Login.

Comment

5dimes now has a line for the SDSU at USD football game: Jacks by 7.5 with an over/under of 46.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                              5dimes now has a line for the SDSU at USD football game: Jacks by 7.5 with an over/under of 46.
                              Jacks 45-0

Comment

Working...
                              X