New defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New defense

I have mentioned it before and now after the Argus chat see quite a few share my distaste for the way the new defense lines up off the line of scrimmage. I've seen mention of being smaller, using speed as excuses. To me it means 3-4 yds guaranteed. I don't like it, I'd think we'd want to be closer to use our speed to penetrate. Every game! It's driving me crazy, not quite like fielding a punt inside the 10 but awfully damn close.

Re: New defense

[QUOTE=Jackedforlife;235692]I have mentioned it before and now after the Argus chat see quite a few share my distaste for the way the new defense lines up off the line of scrimmage. I've seen mention of being smaller, using speed as excuses. To me it means 3-4 yds guaranteed. I don't like it, I'd think we'd want to be closer to use our speed to penetrate. Every game! It's driving me crazy, not quite like fielding a punt inside the 10 but awfully damn close.[/QUOTE
    I admit to first noticing this during the Nebraska game. They've been lining up this far back for all the games?

Comment

Yeah, hit up gojacks.com and watch the condensed version of all the other games. Even against Butler.

http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...53&SPSID=64624

bottom of the page has the condensed feed of all 4 games.
      Last edited by Jackedforlife; 09-26-2013, 02:28 PM. Reason: add website info

Comment

I was of the opinion that the defense is sound and they just need to figure things out...

Just watched quite a bit of the condensed games.

Now I think our D has serious issues. Oofta.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          I was of the opinion that the defense is sound and they just need to figure things out...

Just watched quite a bit of the condensed games.

Now I think our D has serious issues. Oofta.
          I posted about this in another thread. The scheme is not right. It doesn't fit the type of players we have. Our traditional, gap-sound defense with zone coverage schemes was much better.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Have we blitzed once yet this year?
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Wasn't the goal to have our base defense be the 4-3 and use the 3-4 against teams that bring an extra wideout? I believe they wanted to be able to match up with teams with more speed.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                Have we blitzed once yet this year?
                many, many, times.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  many, many, times.
                  guessed i havent noticed or not sure if it shows. at least the neb game from the nose bleeds sure didnt look like i saw any.

Overall our formation looks the same to me, 4 man front, and soft coverage on the corners giving up easy catches in front of them.

maybe the line misses hettinger more then we think and the size of shafrath and tracy are gone but overall the guys dont seem to be the issue on the field. a few blown coverages or missed assignments but its more so where they line up and the getting pressue on the ball seems to be an issue this year. Do we not have Any offensive lineman in the wings who played D line in highschool who could add some weight to our line? seems they need a little help with that. not taking anything away from the starters but the depth is just not there yet.

Just once i would like to see our corners line up on the line and jam the WR on a 3 and 10, just once would be nice to make them earn the yards the hard way.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    guessed i havent noticed or not sure if it shows. at least the neb game from the nose bleeds sure didnt look like i saw any.

Overall our formation looks the same to me, 4 man front, and soft coverage on the corners giving up easy catches in front of them.

maybe the line misses hettinger more then we think and the size of shafrath and tracy are gone but overall the guys dont seem to be the issue on the field. a few blown coverages or missed assignments but its more so where they line up and the getting pressue on the ball seems to be an issue this year. Do we not have Any offensive lineman in the wings who played D line in highschool who could add some weight to our line? seems they need a little help with that. not taking anything away from the starters but the depth is just not there yet.

Just once i would like to see our corners line up on the line and jam the WR on a 3 and 10, just once would be nice to make them earn the yards the hard way.
                    I've seen the safties and LBers brought on several occasions on the home games.

Not sure how much pressure was brought at Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      I've seen the safties and LBers brought on several occasions on the home games.

Not sure how much pressure was brought at Nebraska.
                      I will blame me being distracted by my 2 year old at games the home games to really notice. half the time i am lucky to see the play or ball thrown let alone formations and blitzing changes.

Comment

I think we will see some different looks from the defense tomorrow. At least that is what I am hearing. Going to be there cheering as loud as I can.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I think we will see some different looks from the defense tomorrow. At least that is what I am hearing. Going to be there cheering as loud as I can.
                          Thats what we heard before the season and Im not so sure we saw any major positive changes, unless your hearing something through the grapevine that is different i wouldnt hold your breath. and if you heard any different sort of sceme type stuff send me a pm or something so i can know what to look for.

Comment

We've never been a Defense that jams receivers at the LOS and don't play a ton of man (usually only if we're blitzing) so that really doesn't frustrate me. But I share the frustration on the way the D-line, specifically the DE's line up. I want to run onto the field and tell them to scoot up. How can adding the distance between you and the QB ever be good for a pass rush? How can it be beneficial to let the O-line have an extra step worth of force into their block? It's been way too long since I've ever had any involvement with a coach that didn't involve coaching 5th grade girls softball, but I'm not sure I'd ever be convinced of the benefit of being that far off the line.

The main difference I've noticed in the first 4 games from last year's Defense is the level of aggressiveness. I suppose any defensive changes would be largely unnoticed if everything was executed properly and aggressively. It doesn't require having a seat in team meetings to see that a lot of our secondary and linebackers are playing tentatively. A large part of that has to be related to injuries and new faces on the field. That will hopefully be something that goes away with some seasoning and continuity on the field. It's hard to play aggressive football when you're second guessing what your role is in the defense on any given play. There are a lot of reads that happen very quickly on any given snap. One moment's hesitancy and you've given up a big play. It looked like that was going on all over the field against Nebraska.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                              We've never been a Defense that jams receivers at the LOS and don't play a ton of man (usually only if we're blitzing) so that really doesn't frustrate me. But I share the frustration on the way the D-line, specifically the DE's line up. I want to run onto the field and tell them to scoot up. How can adding the distance between you and the QB ever be good for a pass rush? How can it be beneficial to let the O-line have an extra step worth of force into their block? It's been way too long since I've ever had any involvement with a coach that didn't involve coaching 5th grade girls softball, but I'm not sure I'd ever be convinced of the benefit of being that far off the line.

The main difference I've noticed in the first 4 games from last year's Defense is the level of aggressiveness. I suppose any defensive changes would be largely unnoticed if everything was executed properly and aggressively. It doesn't require having a seat in team meetings to see that a lot of our secondary and linebackers are playing tentatively. A large part of that has to be related to injuries and new faces on the field. That will hopefully be something that goes away with some seasoning and continuity on the field. It's hard to play aggressive football when you're second guessing what your role is in the defense on any given play. There are a lot of reads that happen very quickly on any given snap. One moment's hesitancy and you've given up a big play. It looked like that was going on all over the field against Nebraska.
                              It does sure seem like the LBs and secondary are thinking or reacting instead of anticpating and doing. your right just a split second can make a difference from a int or broken up pass or getting a RB before he gets to the 2nd level.

Comment

Working...
                              X