SELA Beef Bowl 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SELA Beef Bowl 2013

This is a huge game. SDSU is 2-0 looking to be 3-0. A playoff bid becomes very likely with a 3-0 start, much more likely than a 2-1 start.

SELA looked darn good in the first half versus a talented TCU team. Mobile QB that transferred in from Oregon. He does seem to make mistakes in the passing game but will be a tough guy to stop, decent RB's as well. Their Dline and Oline appeared to hold their own against TCU. Jacks held on for a tough victory down in LA last year.

Need a big crowd and I think there will be one. I have 11 tickets for the game, all are spoken for and I've had multiple other requests. Get the work out, get your friends and family to CAS for the Jackrabbit game Saturday. Kickoff is 6 pm, tailgate starts at 1.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: SELA Beef Bowl 2013

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    This is a huge game. SDSU is 2-0 looking to be 3-0. A playoff bid becomes very likely with a 3-0 start, much more likely than a 2-1 start.

SELA looked darn good in the first half versus a talented TCU team. Mobile QB that transferred in from Oregon. He does seem to make mistakes in the passing game but will be a tough guy to stop, decent RB's as well. Their Dline and Oline appeared to hold their own against TCU. Jacks held on for a tough victory down in LA last year.

Need a big crowd and I think there will be one. I have 11 tickets for the game, all are spoken for and I've had multiple other requests. Get the work out, get your friends and family to CAS for the Jackrabbit game Saturday. Kickoff is 6 pm, tailgate starts at 1.
    Is it Saturday yet?!?

Comment

The official SE LA football web page: http://www.lionsports.net/index.aspx?path=football

This one definitely won't be easy.

- The QB spent two years as a backup at Oregon before transferring. He is averaging 119 rushing yards per game.
      - The team may still be getting to know their coach, who is only in his second year. They won five of their final eight games last year.
      - 18 starters return from that team.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        The official SE LA football web page: http://www.lionsports.net/index.aspx?path=football

This one definitely won't be easy.

- The QB spent two years as a backup at Oregon before transferring. He is averaging 119 rushing yards per game.
        - The team may still be getting to know their coach, who is only in his second year. They won five of their final eight games last year.
        - 18 starters return from that team.
        Completely agree. It will not be easy. But, this is the type of game you need to win to have a great year vs a good year. Hopefully they took a little pounding last week at TCU and the long travel day will slow them down a little.

Saturday cannot get here early enough.

For those not happy with the Brookings Bobcats playing at Coughlin - and they do Fri vs Spearfish - but more surprising is that Sioux Valley (Volga) will also play on Coughlin this coming Friday. Apparently some issues wih their field so they will be playing at CAS. Hope the field holds up.

Temps to be a little cooler by Saturday which will be nice for both the game and tailgating.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Less than 65 reserved seats left. Going to a full house. Season ticket holders that have unused tickets get them on the ticket exchange so they can be used by someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
            Completely agree. It will not be easy. But, this is the type of game you need to win to have a great year vs a good year. Hopefully they took a little pounding last week at TCU and the long travel day will slow them down a little.

Saturday cannot get here early enough.

For those not happy with the Brookings Bobcats playing at Coughlin - and they do Fri vs Spearfish - but more surprising is that Sioux Valley (Volga) will also play on Coughlin this coming Friday. Apparently some issues wih their field so they will be playing at CAS. Hope the field holds up.

Temps to be a little cooler by Saturday which will be nice for both the game and tailgating.

GBGBGJ
            Oof. Hopefully there aren't any friday rainstorms this fall.

Honestly, if SDSU gets field turf someday, SDSU should encourage high schools to have games in CAS, IMO. Could provide a little extra revenue for SDSU if you had 9 man going inside and 11 man outside. Also a nice opportunity to get potential recruits (students and student athletes) into facilities.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Sort of like what USF and SFC does with the FCA Bowl? That'd be pretty cool.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Will be interesting to see how we deal with their mobile QB, traditionally we struggle to stop mobile QB's. Was part of the new defensive scheme installed to help stop mobile QB's or was that more just for spread offenses?

Either way...better have a spy on that QB at all times.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Seems they might be vulnerable to the long pass if they are having problems with run containment from looking at highlites of their TCU game.Of course,things change from game to game....I'm sure they worked that problem out.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                    Will be interesting to see how we deal with their mobile QB, traditionally we struggle to stop mobile QB's. Was part of the new defensive scheme installed to help stop mobile QB's or was that more just for spread offenses?

Either way...better have a spy on that QB at all times.
                    Maybe the front four and the LB crew can get him before he decides to tuck and run.The linemen sometimes get their view obstructed from fighting off blocking, but the LB'S should be able to keep him spotted pretty good,but they've got other responsibilites too (LB's)Blitzing is a gamble too,if he avoids it, the secondary defense is a bit weaker,which means his break out run might be longer.Football is the ultimate guessing game IMO

If you can just get a good sound defense without relying on a lot of gimmicks....the better....but if any aspect is weak,say pass coverage,or linemen getting pressure on the QB,or add in the possibility of doing both those perfect,and the QB being mobile enough still gets big yardage, just adds to the things you have to worry about.....but thats why they hire coaches,to come up with the best game plan to win against all kinds of different offensive schemes.Glad I'm not a coach....but i know their job isn't always easy.

Best defenses are those that realise where the play is going or what the play is and reacting to it faster than the offense figured you would,in other words playing smart,limiting plays to less yardage than they were designed for,the whole game. React fast, but don't over-react on fakes ,footballs a lot about deception,getting fooled .Guys that play smart, make it look easy.

Sorry for the rant,everyone knows these things,but i get carried away putting too many thoughts into words sometimes.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM.

Comment

We'll be seeing a running QB 2 weeks in a row.
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                        We'll be seeing a running QB 2 weeks in a row.
                        Personally, I think Bennett is a better QB than Taylor Martinez, but Martinez will obviously have a better supporting cast.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

I wish I could be there. I had a blast at last year's Beef Bowl. You SD folks know how to tailgate!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Not much chatter going on for this, kind of dissapointed...it should be a great game with a huge crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                              Not much chatter going on for this, kind of dissapointed...it should be a great game with a huge crowd.
                              Hopefully the crowd makes up for the first week. Should be a better game/visiting team and hopefully students are ready to stay on campus for the weekend. also hopefully the weather plays nice again. Last I saw Sioux Falls was 40% chance of rain for the day. not sure what brookings currently shows for Saturday. That might keep numbers down a little.

Hope the team has a good week of practice and excited to see Zenner run again and hope to wee the passing game help take some slack off zenner so he isnt having to touch the ball 40 times again.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X