Western Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Illinois

We play at Macomb for WIU's Homecoming...3:00 p.m., October 12. My wife and I will be traveling to Kansas City for a family wedding and, what the heck, Macomb is only about four+ hours from KCMO. I'm wondering about the risk of buying a walkup ticket...anybody been to a football game in Macomb? (I've been there for track and cross country meets but not football or basketball.) I have the sense they don't sell out their stadium but it will be their homecoming. (Maybe I should just quit thinking about it and order a couple of tickets on line and then decide the morning of the game whether I make the drive or just go straight home.)

Re: Western Illinois

I don't know how accurate their figures are, but Wikipedia has attendence numbers for WIU football from last season. Their list shows 16,000+ for homecoming and states that the stadium holds a little over 17,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_We..._football_team

I thought it was a little odd to see a purple semi-trailer all decked out with "Western Illinois Football" and the bulldog logo in Yankton Monday. I don't know what it was doing here but it was a nice reminder that the season is about to get going.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      We play at Macomb for WIU's Homecoming...3:00 p.m., October 12. My wife and I will be traveling to Kansas City for a family wedding and, what the heck, Macomb is only about four+ hours from KCMO. I'm wondering about the risk of buying a walkup ticket...anybody been to a football game in Macomb? (I've been there for track and cross country meets but not football or basketball.) I have the sense they don't sell out their stadium but it will be their homecoming. (Maybe I should just quit thinking about it and order a couple of tickets on line and then decide the morning of the game whether I make the drive or just go straight home.)
      In suburban Chicago, I used to work with several WIU grads many were less than 5 years out of college. Most did not give a rip about WIU football, but when homecoming was on the agenda, they all got excited and made a trip to McComb to make the bar scences but I don't know how many went to the game. To be on the safe side, I would order the tickets, SDSU section should be pretty open. Macomb seems to be another Brookings. Kind of the only game in town.

Comment

Nidaros' suggestion is probably OK, but I would also suggest (having been there twice) that you would have no problem getting late tickets. Last year's homecoming game for them was against Illinois State, which I think is a fairly good "rival" game. Ninth-largest crowd in history, but there have been no other homecoming games exceeding 15,000 in the last five years. With WIU picked next to last in the league, and facing the Jacks this year, I am very dubious whether they will have more than 16,000 in attendance (and I think quite a few less). Anyway, if you wait, get on the internet before you decide to head that way and see if you can get tickets online.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I posed the question on the Leatherneck's board...seems like I should be safe walking up and buying a ticket. They have a similar policy that we have: they'll sell tickets until people quit buying them. Lots of standing room.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            Nidaros' suggestion is probably OK, but I would also suggest (having been there twice) that you would have no problem getting late tickets. Last year's homecoming game for them was against Illinois State, which I think is a fairly good "rival" game. Ninth-largest crowd in history, but there have been no other homecoming games exceeding 15,000 in the last five years. With WIU picked next to last in the league, and facing the Jacks this year, I am very dubious whether they will have more than 16,000 in attendance (and I think quite a few less). Anyway, if you wait, get on the internet before you decide to head that way and see if you can get tickets online.
            My experience that I cited in my post is old information, some things about WIU have changed no doubt, but there are many students from Chicago and suburbs that attend, and this is about only time they head back to McComb is on homecoming, but with their program being down for the last few years, I would think you could get a last minute ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Been there several times Jack. You'll be fine. If you do get nervous about it, gimme a shout out and I'll call a guy that's well connected. You'll have no issues.YFE

Comment

Working...
              X