Heat waive Mike Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat waive Mike Miller

The Miami Heat waive Mike Miller under amnesty clause.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...amnesty-clause

Re: Heat waive Mike Miller

Saves them a tonnnnnn of money. Should have cut Joel Anthony. Wouldn't have saved as much money, but Miller actually contributes. Joel Anthony does nothing.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Saves them a tonnnnnn of money. Should have cut Joel Anthony. Wouldn't have saved as much money, but Miller actually contributes. Joel Anthony does nothing.
      Just asking here, but maybe Anthony is part of a future trade.
      My heart pumps p*ss for Miller, he still will get 12 million as part of the settlement. Most people in the real world get zip for severance pay. Plus other teams are still interested in his career. Mike will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Just asking here, but maybe Anthony is part of a future trade.
        My heart pumps p*ss for Miller, he still will get 12 million as part of the settlement. Most people in the real world get zip for severance pay. Plus other teams are still interested in his career. Mike will be okay.
        That is a bit of an understatement, unless he has been excessively wasteful over the years. During his 13 year NBA career, he has generated nearly $75 million in contracts. If he is getting an additional $12 million in severance pay, he could still likely pay for the Corn Palace and have ample money left over for him and his immediate family for their lifetimes.

His South Dakota nickname will always be "skinny", but they were not talking about his wallet and bank account. Good for Mike and it has been great to see what this SD kid could do in the NBA for so many years. I'm just hoping Nate can have a fraction of Mike's success at the NBA level.

Comment

It's not severance pay. It's part of a contract (not sure what the number is) that the Heat agreed to sign him to and now they don't want that number to count against their salary cap. And Nidaros, no one wants to trade for Joel Anthony.

Comment

It's not severance pay. It's part of a contract (not sure what the number is) that the Heat agreed to sign him to and now they don't want that number to count against their salary cap. And Nidaros, no one wants to trade for Joel Anthony.
            Substance over form on the severance pay. Is Mike Miller still on the Heat payroll? Contracts often cover severance I suspect. Why else are they handing over 12 million? Oh yeah, that right to lower their payroll and luxury tax which would be more if Miller completed his contract. You just don't break contracts without paying something, such as severance pay when it involves employment.

It does not matter whether you are NBA BB player or an English teacher, you have a contract for employment, either written or oral. Ending the contract seems to favor the employer in general by law. In oral contracts it often depends how the employer feels about separation in terms of pay when it's a lower wage earner. Whereas with Mr. Miller his contract no doubt is very detailed and no doubt covers such things as being the amnesty victim and severance compensation, which according to the article totaled 12 million bucks. That's the point I was trying to make.

After making a google on Joel Anthony, I would agree, he might not fit any NBA roster at this point in career.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 07-18-2013, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Might just be me, but I have the old song "Heat Wave" running through my head right now.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Might just be me, but I have the old song "Heat Wave" running through my head right now.
                Whenever I'm with him
                Something inside starts to burnin'
                And I'm filled with desire
                Could it be a devil in me
                Or is this the way love's supposed to be?

It's like a heat wave
                Burnin' in my heart
                I can't keep from cryin'
                It's tearin' me apart

Whenever he calls my name
                Soft, low, sweet and plain
                I feel, right there
                I feel that burnin' flame
                Has high blood pressure got a hold on me
                Or is this the way love's supposed to be?

It's like a heat wave
                Burnin' in my heart
                I can't keep from cryin'
                It's tearin' me apart

Sometimes I stare in space
                Tears all over my face
                I can't explain it
                Don't understand it
                I ain't never felt like this before
                Now this funny feelin' has me amazed
                I don't know what to do
                My head's in a haze

It's like a heat wave

I feel it
                Burnin', right here in my heart
                It's like a heat wave

Comment

I'm more of Miami by Will Smith type of guy
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Makes me think of the Navy Days at the NCO Club, Martha and the Vandells and Black Label beer 10 cents a bottle. That 12 million would buy a few Black Labels. Hic!!!
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Sounds like Mike might be taking some time off. He is apparently telling teams thinking of putting in an amnesty claim on his contract that he may undergo fusion surgery for bulging disks in his back.

Comment

Substance over form on the severance pay. Is Mike Miller still on the Heat payroll? Contracts often cover severance I suspect. Why else are they handing over 12 million? Oh yeah, that right to lower their payroll and luxury tax which would be more if Miller completed his contract. You just don't break contracts without paying something, such as severance pay when it involves employment.

It does not matter whether you are NBA BB player or an English teacher, you have a contract for employment, either written or oral. Ending the contract seems to favor the employer in general by law. In oral contracts it often depends how the employer feels about separation in terms of pay when it's a lower wage earner. Whereas with Mr. Miller his contract no doubt is very detailed and no doubt covers such things as being the amnesty victim and severance compensation, which according to the article totaled 12 million bucks. That's the point I was trying to make.

After making a google on Joel Anthony, I would agree, he might not fit any NBA roster at this point in career.
                        They aren't breaking his contract. They are still paying him the agreed upon amount.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Sounds like Mike might be taking some time off. He is apparently telling teams thinking of putting in an amnesty claim on his contract that he may undergo fusion surgery for bulging disks in his back.
                          I wonder if he did this on purpose (to scare some teams away). Since no one claimed him, he now can pick which team he wants to play for.

Comment

They aren't breaking his contract. They are still paying him the agreed upon amount.
                            huh? Explain why he is no longer on the Heat's payroll

Comment

huh? Explain why he is no longer on the Heat's payroll
                              Amnesty Clause

Each team is allowed to waive a player without having their salary count toward the salary cap or luxury tax. One player can be waived prior to the start of any season from 2011–12 through 2015–16. It can be exercised during the seven days that follow the July moratorium.[a][10] Each team is restricted to one "amnestied" player during that time. Only players signed prior to 2011–12 are eligible.[27] Teams can claim an amnestied player at a reduced rate, with the waiving team responsible for paying the balance of the contract. The team with the highest bid acquires the player. If unclaimed, the player becomes a free agent.[6] Teams over the salary cap can only acquire an amnestied player if he becomes a free agent and the offer would be limited to the veteran's minimum contract.
                              The team still pays the contract; it simply does not count towards their salary cap.

Comment

Working...
                              X