X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brad Stevens hired by the Celtics

Hmmm http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/pres...ens-head-coach

Re: Brad Stevens hired by the Celtics

Seems like a very interesting move on both parts. Celtics are in rebuilding mode and can probably afford to take a flyer on an inexperienced coach (????). Stevens seemed like he was committed to Butler and the college game. Heard on the radio yesterday that Stevens grew up a Celtics fan, which obviously makes hiring him a great move (sarcasm). Really hoping this doesn't turn out like recent defections of college coaches to the pro ranks (see Carroll, Pete and Kelly, Chip) where the coach leaves and then some major violations are found in said college program.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
      Seems like a very interesting move on both parts. Celtics are in rebuilding mode and can probably afford to take a flyer on an inexperienced coach (????). Stevens seemed like he was committed to Butler and the college game. Heard on the radio yesterday that Stevens grew up a Celtics fan, which obviously makes hiring him a great move (sarcasm). Really hoping this doesn't turn out like recent defections of college coaches to the pro ranks (see Carroll, Pete and Kelly, Chip) where the coach leaves and then some major violations are found in said college program.
      You would hope not, but one never knows. I always was impressed with Butler, even when they had us our rears at Frost a few years back. They seemed to have what we wanted to be talent wise down the road. You hope the best for Stevens, but both Brad and Danny Ainge who hired him are likely to be come victims of the Peter Principle, Celtic fans cans stand only so many losses.

Comment

While i like that the Celts didn't just recycle another NBA coach,i'm not sure on this hire. That said, with a 6 year deal and a ton of draft picks in that same time frame,he's gonna get a chance to rebuild the entire team. This was a no-brainer for Stevens... 22 mil.and even if he gets fired in 4 years, he should be able to go back to college coaching at a high profile school.

Comment

Just about everything I've seen on why Stevens turned down name brand gigs (e.g. UCLA) has to do with the sliminess that is almost inherent to those programs. Scuttlebutt is that Stevens didn't want to deal with oily AAU coaches promising recruits in exchange for jobs, runners, Nevin-Shapiro-types, etc. Plus, he's not exactly one to slick back his hair, buy a $20,000 suit and start Calipari-ing it up on the recruiting trail. In fact, he reportedly hates recruiting.

I like this hire a lot. This is Ainge one-upping his former teammate Larry Bird, by hiring a stats-driven young guy with no coaching experience in the pros. Bird got Frank Vogel, but if he were hiring right now, dollars to donuts he'd have been talking to Stevens too.

Comment

Appears to be a good hire based on Zoo's post, and I will leave it at that. Not a big fan of the NBA in general because its all about $$$$$$$$$$$. Whats a court side seat for the Lakers go for now? It costs 100 bucks just to be added to the waiting list for season tickets. I would gladly give that money to the Salvation Army or an extra donation to the Jackrabbit club. Just not into the NBA.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/tickets/sth_waitinglist.html
            Last edited by Nidaros; 07-05-2013, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Just about everything I've seen on why Stevens turned down name brand gigs (e.g. UCLA) has to do with the sliminess that is almost inherent to those programs. Scuttlebutt is that Stevens didn't want to deal with oily AAU coaches promising recruits in exchange for jobs, runners, Nevin-Shapiro-types, etc. Plus, he's not exactly one to slick back his hair, buy a $20,000 suit and start Calipari-ing it up on the recruiting trail. In fact, he reportedly hates recruiting.

I like this hire a lot. This is Ainge one-upping his former teammate Larry Bird, by hiring a stats-driven young guy with no coaching experience in the pros. Bird got Frank Vogel, but if he were hiring right now, dollars to donuts he'd have been talking to Stevens too.
              It should be interesting, both Ainge and Stevens are big believers in statistical analysis. Sabermetrics would certainly be easier to apply at the pro level i assume.

Comment

Best Brad Stevens moment ever is his walk after beating Gonzaga last year.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                X