UND suspends radio announcer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND suspends radio announcer.

So I figured I'll just beat the rush and move this to "smack"....

Apparently the Fighting Who's are all butt-hurt about the term "Choke Job"... just be glad the announcer said they didn't blow it. LOL

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/...choke-job.html
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: UND suspends radio announcer.

Truth hurts.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
      Truth hurts.
      end/thread

Comment

Thank goodness their hockey announcer didn't say this or he would be hanging from the nearest tree.

Comment

Sounds like UND did their best attempt at a choke job. Suspend him for what? Calling the game like it is?
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

UND basketball finally makes headlines....Sioux fans everywhere finally realize that they have a basketball team.

Comment

The NCAA PC Police must be rubbing off on our neighbors to the north. I'm guessing UND's next big announcement will be they're changing their school colors to tie-dye.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

I guess rather than "choke job" the announcer should have said "the heroic good guys were unfortunate and undeserving victims of a sudden and unexplainable reversal in game fortunes" or something stupid like that. For a university not known for sensitivity in dealing with its nickname, UND certainly demonstrated over-the-top sensitivity in reacting to the use of a non-profane phrase by a radio announcer.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  UND basketball finally makes headlines....Sioux fans everywhere finally realize that they have a basketball team.
                  LOL, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FargoBison again."

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    I guess rather than "choke job" the announcer should have said "the heroic good guys were unfortunate and undeserving victims of a sudden and unexplainable reversal in game fortunes" or something stupid like that. For a university not known for sensitivity in dealing with its nickname, UND certainly demonstrated over-the-top sensitivity in reacting to the use of a non-profane phrase by a radio announcer.
                    UND controls the media in Grand Forks with an iron fist like a 3rd world dictator.

Comment

I don't know what to say (write) but I'm not sure this thread belongs in smack. It seems smackish but what UND's AD did to their announcer is fact. Bizarre fact. All the more crazy after years of UND people decrying the dreaded "PC" of the NCAA taking away the nickname and image of the Fighting Sioux.

And now they go tilt over a guy using a slang term that, in the end, was accurate?

In every Seinfeld episode, there is a reference to Superman. Sometimes the reference is obvious while in other episodes, it is subtle and cryptic. But it's always there. In many Seinfeld episode, references are made to the Bizarro World -- the alternate dimension. As a kid, I subscribed (yes, one could do that) to Superman and Superboy comics for a few years. I had thought the Bizarro World was a creation of DC Comics. Now I realize it exists in Grand Forks, ND.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        I don't know what to say (write) but I'm not sure this thread belongs in smack. It seems smackish but what UND's AD did to their announcer is fact. Bizarre fact. All the more crazy after years of UND people decrying the dreaded "PC" of the NCAA taking away the nickname and image of the Fighting Sioux.

And now they go tilt over a guy using a slang term that, in the end, was accurate?

In every Seinfeld episode, there is a reference to Superman. Sometimes the reference is obvious while in other episodes, it is subtle and cryptic. But it's always there. In many Seinfeld episode, references are made to the Bizarro World -- the alternate dimension. As a kid, I subscribed (yes, one could do that) to Superman and Superboy comics for a few years. I had thought the Bizarro World was a creation of DC Comics. Now I realize it exists in Grand Forks, ND.
                        JD, legal recourse here?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          JD, legal recourse here?
                          I am not a lawyer, but its obvious the only recourse is to do something in the state legislature, or perhaps a constitutional amendment.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Legal action could be entertaining. Paul Ralston, the announcer in question, apparently is also director of broadcast properties for UND. Maybe he'd have to sue himself.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              JD, legal recourse here?
                              Perhaps a beheading at the old Memorial Stadium on UND's campus? Ever since the logo/name controversy, things are a little weird up north.

Comment

Working...
                              X