Shocker-IOC drops wrestling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker-IOC drops wrestling

The 2020 Olympic games will not have wrestling for 2020.Good grief!I say eliminate the current IOC members instead,and keep the Olympics as they are....why do they have to intermeddle all the time?Arrogance,to flaunt their power or authority? Disgraceful ,and disrespectful to all who have toiled and labored their entire lives for a chance to go to the Olympics.
    Link: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...urce-tells-ap/

Sorry if I've put this in the wrong thread
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM.

Re: Shocker-IOC drops wrestling

Ya saw that. Crazy with some of the other sports that there is, that they would cut wrestling but wrestling is not marketed well enough and is not really mainstream. It could still be included in 2020 Olympics as they can vote on 26th event for 2020 I believe. Don't think the wrestling community will let this go down easy howver. Problem with wrestling, IMO is it is not mainstream enough and it can be hard to understand if you don't watch it or know what they are doing.
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Its an orignal event so that surprising. Dirt bike racing and some of the other stuff but no basball or softball.

Wonder if they cut it because of the cheating or what ever happened last olypimics.

Yet they are keeping modern pentathalon. What ever the hell that is.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

From the sounds of it, from what I've heard and read, it does make some sense why they cut it. Steroids were common, not very popular in much of the world, way too many medals vs. competitors were being given out. At the same time, there are some VERY stupid sports in the Olympics, and then you have to even ask why cut anything? Its the Olympics, why cut any sport?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          From the sounds of it, from what I've heard and read, it does make some sense why they cut it. Steroids were common, not very popular in much of the world, way too many medals vs. competitors were being given out. At the same time, there are some VERY stupid sports in the Olympics, and then you have to even ask why cut anything? Its the Olympics, why cut any sport?
          I don't buy the steroid excuse one bit. Weightlifting and cycling are still Olympic Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            I don't buy the steroid excuse one bit. Weightlifting and cycling are still Olympic Sports.
            I just think its an added element, popularity is ultimately the reason it was considered, I'm guessing the reason it was actually dropped is because the IOC didn't have any pro-wrestling corrupt members like they did with other sports that were up for being cut.

Comment

popularity is ultimately the reason it was considered
              Yet they kept the modern pentahalon........what ever that is.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                but the IOC chair is also a member of their governing board or something like that. Its just that wrestling didn't have good enough ties to those who made the decision. This is after all the Olympics, you know the ones who have time and time again have been caught being bribed and are very corrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  don't be knocking my sport.... fencing, swimming, horse riding, shooting, and running. If it was the other type of fencing you could argue it is South Dakotas sport.

Comment

don't be knocking my sport.... fencing, swimming, horse riding, shooting, and running. If it was the other type of fencing you could argue it is South Dakotas sport.
                    Like building fences? hmm, if that is part of it with horses and shooting sounds like what a lot of guys I know do on a weekend. Not much for running or swimming, but building new or replacing fencing and such pretty popular in SD.......unless they mean the sword play kind of fencing, then no one is SD does that.

Comment

I guess the price of gold, silver,bronze must have weighed heavily in their decision.

On a side note,since you brought it up, there are certain sports in the Olympics that ARE ridiculous in the number of medals awarded,i don't think wrestling was in any way the top,as there are only a few weight classes.Cycling,swimming,track and field,plus some more obscure ones i never watch and neither do most people, you know, the ones the French like.

Comment

I don't see how they could cut an original sport of the Olympics by a freaking secret ballot. Corruption anybody. Also, it could cut College Wrestling interest levels and ultimately lead to schools dropping wrestling. Sounds like Congress and lawmakers are joining in to save Olympic wrestling. Wrestling needs to say. Wrestling needs the public outrage. One theory of mine would be to have folkstyle wrestling in the Olympics. The general public knows more about that then Freestyle/Greco-Roman so that could help interest

Comment

I'd go folkstyle as well, but I think free-style is pretty popular outside of the mid-west.

Baseball/softball are probably the most upset about this, because they had the support behind them to get the last spot, but now wrestling is in the same category.

Comment

I'd go folkstyle as well, but I think free-style is pretty popular outside of the mid-west.Baseball/softball are probably the most upset about this, because they had the support behind them to get the last spot, but now wrestling is in the same category.
                            Not every wrestler is fan of folkstyle but is more than just Midwest as that's college wrestling has folkstyle and baseball and softball didn't have near the outrage as wrestling. They have professional leagues while Olympic wrestling is considered the pinnacle in wrestling

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                              Not every wrestler is fan of folkstyle but is more than just Midwest as that's college wrestling has folkstyle and baseball and softball didn't have near the outrage as wrestling. They have professional leagues while Olympic wrestling is considered the pinnacle in wrestling
                              softball more then baseball. But they were a package deal. And that is my point why they would be upset, as they were probably the leaders to be reinstated until wrestling got thrown into the pool with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X