Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that NSD has come and pass, let's start talking about what our team is going to look like this year.....

---Disclaimer: These thoughts are all my own and mostly created off the top of my head on the fly while typing and sipping a little bit after studying all day.

QB- Obviously Sumner is the starter, but with the addition of Douglas to go with Kline and Meyer, our QB depth is probably the deepest it's been since we've gone D-I

RB- Once again Zenner is the clear cut starter, but we are going to have more depth this year compared to last year. Reggie will probably get the 2nd most carries, and I will be curious to see how/if Paris and Rodriguez work themselves into the rotation. We got a bulldozer and scatback between those two.

WR- Who is going to step up and be a #1 this year? I don't think Hubert or Tief are those kinda players, but I really liked the way Tief came on at the end last year. I think highly of Schneider and think he could become a primetime reciever. I am also going to look for Wesley to got alot more touches this year, he has too much shake n' bake in his game to get more touches. We are still waiting on Brandon Andrews to have a coming out party (He may be our most athletic WR) and who knows about Dom. I don't think any of our FR we redshirted this year will play next year, but I expect Wieneke to compete for time (He's a beast).

TE- Cam Jones....enough said. Benedetto will hold down the 2nd spot and Strehlow will be third. Strehlow also plays fullback for us. I don't know anything about Vejvoda.

OL- We returen 3/5 I believe, including and AA left tackle in Witzman. Due to depth developed through injuries last year it can be said we return 5 starters. I'm not going to get into naming all of the OL that will play, but I trust Coach Flynn alot with our big guys.

DL- If Hettinger returns our first team DL will be good again with Peete, Douglas, Hettinger, and Peugh being our starters. I know our coaches are high on Plote and Krings at DE, but all of our 2nd team DT were FR this year, so it will being interesting to see who developed and is ready to step up.

LB- What we lose in leadership, we make up for in athleticism this year. Lally will hold down the MLB, and I believe that Elmore and Kilgore will hold down the outside spots for us. We are super young at LB so it will be interesting to see if Mason, Moritko, an Romano are ready to step up as backups. Also if Jelsma comes back healthy he will rotate in alot.

DB- Winston and Butler will be our starters with Forsythe being our first man in. I'm not sure what to think of Martinson, I honestly thought he was going to play more last year. Basically we are young and don't really know who's where in the rotation after Wright, Butler, and Forsythe.

S- If I had to guess right now, I would say that Andrew Brown and Jake Gentile would be our starters......I really don't know though who our safetys are going to be next year. I assume we are still looking at the JuCo ranks right now.

K/P- Syrovatka, Carlson, and Sawyer will keep doing what they do.

KR- Based off of last year one can assume that probably Dom Wright and Jimmie Forsythe will do the returning. I would like to see Wesley and Butler get some chances, they are both big plays waiting to happen.

PR- Probably Wesley, but as stated above I would love to see Butler get some chances as he just looks natural with the ball in his hands.

Re: 2013

I'd largely agree with your rundown from what I can think of. My two areas of concern: WR and the defensive backfield. We really need a No. 1 WR to step up. Somebody big and physical. I'm not sure who it's going to be, but having a true threat at WR, which we didn't really have last year, will make life easier for Sumner. I'm hopeful that, after surgery, Austin will return to form, too.

I'm always worried about the DBs. The other team's speed is always my greatest fear. We always seem to fare better than I think we will when it comes to coverage, so fingers crossed that that trend continues.

Big question, though, that has nothing to do with the roster: Are we going to add another game to the schedule for fall or are we set? If memory serves, I think this is a year we can add an extra game. I'd love for it to be a home game.

Last thing: Thoughts on what impact the early Hobo Day will have on late-season attendance this year, anyone? I'm curious.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post

Last thing: Thoughts on what impact the early Hobo Day will have on late-season attendance this year, anyone? I'm curious.
      The optimist in me says we have matured as a fan base and the post Hobo Days homes will will still sell well over 10,000 fans. The attendance for the playoff games last year makes me questions my optimism.
      We...ARE...STATE!
      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Myself and another Avid Jacks fan were discussing over beers how pitiful the showing for the Post season Home Game was this year. Take in that, compared to the atmosphere that NDSU offers EVERY home game at the F-Dome. We speculated (and agreed) that if we were an impressionable 18yr old the kind of affect that would have in wither or not we wanted to play there or somewhere else.

IIRC the Pitiful crowd of the playoffs this year was one of the most vocal.

Two things on that.
        1. Why do you suppose that was (less people and more noise)?

2. Our fans need to get used to the notion that going to a game isn't a warm up for Sunday morning Lutheran Church service. Stand up and make some noise (and if you can't sit down and do so, or bring somone who'll cheer twice as loud for you).

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          Myself and another Avid Jacks fan were discussing over beers how pitiful the showing for the Post season Home Game was this year. Take in that, compared to the atmosphere that NDSU offers EVERY home game at the F-Dome. We speculated (and agreed) that if we were an impressionable 18yr old the kind of affect that would have in wither or not we wanted to play there or somewhere else.

IIRC the Pitiful crowd of the playoffs this year was one of the most vocal.

Two things on that.
          1. Why do you suppose that was (less people and more noise)?

2. Our fans need to get used to the notion that going to a game isn't a warm up for Sunday morning Lutheran Church service. Stand up and make some noise (and if you can't sit down and do so, or bring somone who'll cheer twice as loud for you).
          Agreed while the attendence number wasn't the best it could be but the noise and crowd intensity level was one of the best we have had in years imo.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
            The optimist in me says we have matured as a fan base and the post Hobo Days homes will will still sell well over 10,000 fans. The attendance for the playoff games last year makes me questions my optimism.
            I think that cautious optimism is the best way to say it. The fan base is still evolving and I think that the playoff home game was a new situation that came up rather quickly. Still, I agree that it was disappointing. Overall I think we are learning and will continue to get better. If playoff appearances continue to be a reality in the program, our fans will support home playoff games with gusto. Also when necessary with a small bottle of peppermint schnapps hidden inside your coat.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Last year's home playoff game was a problem for me since I have plans to be gone for the Thanksgiving holiday. The flight tickets were paid and secured in the late summer. I would not venture to say that half of the crowd was on holiday, but there had to be a significant number with similar commitments.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                Last year's home playoff game was a problem for me since I have plans to be gone for the Thanksgiving holiday. The flight tickets were paid and secured in the late summer. I would not venture to say that half of the crowd was on holiday, but there had to be a significant number with similar commitments.
                This is a factor for some. Travel is a factor for others. I have season tickets but drive all the way from the Black Hills for games. I also work some weekends. In fact, I traded into working the weekend of the playoff game in order to attend one of the regular season games.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Thanksgiving weekend is terrible for all teams because of the short notice and the holiday. Most schools experience season lows in attendance even if it is a playoff game.

Our attendance for the EIU game was lower than I anticipated, but I was expecting about 8,000.

Hopefully this year we can not only make the playoffs, but get a first round bye and avoid the attendance lull.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

The coaches and players are holding up their end of the deal (winning).......now it's our turn to hold up our end and show up every week.

Comment

No question play off games are a new novelty, but if we go deeper into the playoffs than we did this past year, I think the interest will grow. I might have to buy a new set of coveralls, hope make it for this game as I did for the EIU game.

Comment

Seriously, doesn't this get you fired up for next year!!!!!

http://vimeo.com/58716259

All their videos.... http://vimeo.com/jackrabbitfootball/videos

Comment

Ummm...I'll be honest, not what I expected. Weird'd out yes, fired up no.
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Thankfully we have the white, flannel demographic covered thoroughly.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                              Ummm...I'll be honest, not what I expected. Weird'd out yes, fired up no.
                              Haha, all of the sports teams do dress up workouts every now and then.....the halloween ones are pretty funny.

Here are the pictures from the workout....http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4388469&type=3

Comment

Working...
                              X