When smack was smack and real fur flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When smack was smack and real fur flu

Was cleaning house tonight and came across a story from the front page of the Jan. 28, 1979, Argus, about the last State-U game in the Armory in Vermillion. I happen to have inside knowledge this story was accurately reported! (Now, a disclaimer: Before anyone charges me with trying to incite behavior out of the current code of sports fandom, I am merely reprinting parts of that article as an historical record, drawn from 34-year-old newsprint. So chill.)

The story starts with Jacks and Coyotes fans exchanging unpleasantries as they enter the gymnasium, which is described as people sitting "like canned tuna in a hot and smoky gymnasium.
    "Bleachers overflowed with humanity. Fans sat three deep around the playing floor and stood two deep in the walkway above the floor.

"An entire section of student fans swayed side-to-side to the beat of the pep band. Charlie the Coyote did handstands, then flipped over on his back. A drained whiskey bottle slid across the floor.
    "Every exit to this 51-year-old strucure they call the New Armory was clogged with incoming fans, some in various stages of inebriation. The noise crescendoed to a head-pounding roar.
    " 'Screw the U,' " came the defiant yell. " 'Hate State' was the ready reply. And it went on for three hours.
    "This was State-U, the twice yearly fiasco built around a basketball rivalry unmatched in these parts for intensity.

It "ended with a scuffle between State and U fans in the stands in the final minutes of the game.
    "The inevitable dead jackrabbit made only one appearance, somewhat of a surprise compared to the usual flood of dead bunnies.
    "There were a handful in attendance, towels on arms, ready to wipe up rabbit blood.
    "State fans sang 'Far Across the Plains of Brookings,' and U fans responded with 'Old MacDonald's Farm.' State was called 'Cow College,' 'Silo Tech,' and 'Moo U' by U the fans.
    "There were firecrackers and smoke bombs in the stands, ice and cups on the floord. There were signs, masks, horns, toilet paper and pom poms. A box of ground feed came flying out of the stands."

The story closed with: "Sports Illustrated magazine considered a feature on this game, but didn't show.
    "They are said to be considering the State-U rematch in Brookings Feb. 17.
    "It's too bad they missed it. The real story ended Saturday night."

Maybe it wasn't the good old days, but it sure as heck was funny, fun and interesting. Nowadays, it'd be denounced as a cauldron of political incorrectness. Ground feed flying onto the floor today? People'd have a cow.
    Oh, and the U prevailed, 73-62.

Re: When smack was smack and real fur flu

This New Armory is what now? The Al Neuharth Center? As far as I can recall it took a very good SDSU team to win in that place, just as it took a good USD team to win in the SDSC Fieldhouse, The Barn. Thank goodness both are part of the past. Both had the potential for someone losing their life. Thanks for posting this NoVa Jack.

Once USD gets there new facility for BB, I might consider attending a game there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      This New Armory is what now? The Al Neuharth Center? As far as I can recall it took a very good SDSU team to win in that place, just as it took a good USD team to win in the SDSC Fieldhouse, The Barn. Thank goodness both are part of the past. Both had the potential for someone losing their life. Thanks for posting this NoVa Jack.

Once USD gets there new facility for BB, I might consider attending a game there.
      Is there a date of completion for this new facility? Has any ground been broke at this time? I did not find any info for the new addition.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        Is there a date of completion for this new facility? Has any ground been broke at this time? I did not find any info for the new addition.
        I believe the legislature approved the plans last week

Comment

Fond memories from the sixties are similar although I'd hate to be exposed to it as an old geezer. Whether Brookings or Vermillion, I remember standing in line drunk to get in, sobering up by the freshman game and being hung over during the varsity event. Also remember an outhouse being carried around the USD court and freshmen girls being tossed into a cage and being bombarded by headless chickens while the State band played "Old MacDonald" at some greet the freshmen event. Certainly more civilized now, I guess/
          '

Comment

We are all Coyote fans tonight, right? Oakland needs that fifth loss.

Who's with me? Smack away.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              We are all Coyote fans tonight, right? Oakland needs that fifth loss.

Who's with me? Smack away.
              I'm in. Beat the Grizz.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                I'm in. Beat the Grizz.
                They blew an 8-point lead and lost by 1

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  They blew an 8-point lead and lost by 1
                  That was ridiculous.

Comment

USD knows something about Oakland that we need to know. Summer project for a grad student: study USD v Oakland game film .

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      USD knows something about Oakland that we need to know. Summer project for a grad student: study USD v Oakland game film .
                      ++++++ I hope his thesis will someday be on file at Briggs Library. Lots of good reading there when you have nothing to do on Saturdays.

Comment

I listened after the Jacks opened up a 40 point lead and the Jackrabbit women blew their lead to lose again to IUPUI. Oakland seemed to play much more within themselves offensively than they did against NDSU and SDSU last weekend. Perhaps that is a credit to the USD defense, seems unlikely though. Petros and Valentine were dominant inside based on JVG's call and the stats, both had double doubles I believe. OU had a huge rebound advantage and scored 14 2nd chance points, that was the difference.

Mondy, Bader and Williams shot a bunch but didn't make a bunch. That lead to the offensive rebounding chances and USD got beat. OU is good but they aren't great. Others would argue the same about SDSU. The Jacks are better as a whole.

Nice effort by the coyotes and a tough one to lose. Seems odd that USD has only won 2 Summit league games at home, one of those over the best team in the conference.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Oakland and USD are essentially the same team. Nitty-gritty details vary, but the overall style is very similar.

Obligatory, rivalry-history smack:
                          (Sung to the tune of Cornell's alma mater, itself sung to the tune of a ditty which, according to Wikipedia, is about someone dying of tuberculosis (1)):
                          "Far across the plains of Brookings,
                          Far as I can see,
                          Stands an old abandoned outhouse,
                          Called the university.
                          It's at Vermillion!
                          (traditionally, this is immediately followed by State Cadence, to whit
                          One! Two! Three! Four!
                          Tell the people who you're for!
                          S (a little louder!)
                          D (A Little Louder!)
                          S (A Little LOUDER!)
                          U (A LITTLE LOUDER!)
                          S! D! S! U! Fight! Jacks! Fight!
                          (Two, three, four, that's the people who we're for!)

(By the way, massive kudos to the Cheer Squad for last night's snappy, zippy, CORRECT rendition of State Cadence during a second-half timeout of the IUPUI game. Keep it going, guys!)

(1) Amusingly, this tune also serves as the music for the University of Kansas' alma mater. SDSU's alma mater, for those who don't know, is "The Yellow And Blue," an original composition which is the second of the two school songs played by the band after the fight song "Ring The Bells" (itself to the tune of the University of Chicago's fight song "Wave The Flag For Old Chicago," itself adapted from the Miami University's Marching Song" -- which would make an SDSU-Miami match in the NCAA tournament (or elsewhere) both entertaining and a bit confusing. Wikipedia is a dangerous thing to begin wandering through . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            One! Two! Three! Four!
                            Tell the people who you're for!
                            S (a little louder!)
                            D (A Little Louder!)
                            S (A Little LOUDER!)
                            U (A LITTLE LOUDER!)
                            S! D! S! U! Fight! Jacks! Fight!
                            (Two, three, four, that's the people who we're for!)

(By the way, massive kudos to the Cheer Squad for last night's snappy, zippy, CORRECT rendition of State Cadence during a second-half timeout of the IUPUI game. Keep it going, guys!)

bingfrickingo, BINGfrickingo, BINGFRICKINgo, BINGFRICKINGO!!!

Now, if we could get a couple of drummers to chime in we could get that thing rockin again. I used to love it when we played "Ring The Bells" and immediately jumped right into the State Cadence.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Get bader in foul trouble with 3 in the first half so he doesn't get hot to start the game.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X