Wayne Haensel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Haensel

Heard this morning that former Jackrabbit football coach Wayne Haensel passed away yesterday. May you rest in peace Wayne. A lot of good memories when you were coach.

Re: Wayne Haensel

I had wayve for fishing techniques. Great class, even greater guy. He will be missed.
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
      I had wayve for fishing techniques. Great class, even greater guy. He will be missed.
      Some of the most fun I have ever had was a weekend of fishing with Hawkeye in the middle of the winter that just happen to be a 70 degrees. Hell of a coach, teacher and man. Rest in Peace Hawkeye, the waters of the world are now yours.

Comment

My step father was a standout at Augie in their glory days. When I had Hawkeye years ago I asked my step father what he was like to play against. John said "Wayne's job was to make my life miserable. He was VERY good at his job."Haensel was a very entertaining teacher in kinesiology - Godspeed!

Comment

Coach Haensel's obituary...

http://rudesfuneralhome.com/sitemake...=827358Haensel
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Condolences to Wayne's family. I have known Wayne for several years and always enjoyed it when he would stop in and see me when he was in Yankton. He was and will always be a true Jackrabbit. God Bless! Heaven just got a little more entertaining.

Comment

Will never forget the last game he coached. Shane Bouman hit Darren Baartman in the endzone to beat Omaha. I was up in the pressbox filming the game. Tom Maxwell fell off his stool calling the game and Wayne was jumping around on the field in a Jimmy V moment. I don't know if its in the archive or not but I kept the film running to catch the celebration. I've never been more excited for a win in my life.
              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                Will never forget the last game he coached. Shane Bouman hit Darren Baartman in the endzone to beat Omaha. I was up in the pressbox filming the game. Tom Maxwell fell off his stool calling the game and Wayne was jumping around on the field in a Jimmy V moment. I don't know if its in the archive or not but I kept the film running to catch the celebration. I've never been more excited for a win in my life.
                I forgot about that game. I remember when that happened and telling my wife what a perfect way it was for Hawkeye to go out...A Winner!

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                  Nice story

Comment

I lived in Coach's basement apartment in '79-'80 for $60/mo. His wife would leave fresh baked cookies on the top step. When I got sick that December, a week before finals, they nursed me back to health. Wayne was a great big guy, scared the hell outta me when I first met him as my landlord. But was a warm and gentle man, who cared for his players, his students and even the dorky engineering student in his basement. Godspeed, Coach.
                    If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

Comment

Coach used one of the best lines I have ever heard recruiting, "Here at South Dakota State we like to eat steak, drink beer and play kick ass football" How in the world could any high school senior say no to that. Thank you coach for the opportunity to play at SDSU.

Comment

R.I.P. Coach. What a great guy who was truly loved by many.

Comment

In the spirit of "bring on the bucking Fison" - I mean Coach no disrespect, plus I'm too lazy to look it up, but I would guess that his record against the Bizun was abyssmal. Granted, he played against some of their powerhouse teams (but I'm hoping one of the Green faithful can tell me what Hawkeye's record was against them in his time here and how many GD National Championships they won)

I don't know why I'm bringing this on in this thread, again, I mean no disrespect at all, but simply curious.

Comment

Yeah, not sure why u brought that up either.

Comment

Originally posted by WahpJack View Post
                              Wayne was a great big guy, scared the hell outta me
                              Some of my buddys dated his daughter. I'm sure they felt the same.
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                              X