Hobo Day 100 Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobo Day 100 Pics

Here are some random pictures for the Jack fans that couldn't be in Brookings for #100. Most noticeable about the parade: very nice floats! I understand a significant donation was made to encourage nice floats...entities that wanted to participate in the money had some assistance in planning floats and I think there was some scholarship money offered. Gone are the bum mobile homes from my day (those always baffled visitors!).

First, a safety reminder: don't have an emergency in Brookings unless it's on the parade route.

What's this? A North Korean parade? May Day in the old Soviet Union? Is that Dr. Strangelove riding the rocket?

Nice float.

Re: Hobo Day 100 Pics

Somebody has to drag the opponent's mascot around.

Here's the College of Pharmacy float. It was amazing! The Campanile replica was constructed of pill bottles and bottle caps.

The newest department, Architecture, entered the parade. I think that's Frank Lloyd Wright's hat on the float.

Here's the Armed Forces Association entry.

Comment

Another version of the Campanile.

The School of Nursing featured historical uniforms and Caring for Hoboes for 100 years.

Then on to the game...the ceremonial pre-game handshake and after that, it was faultless football for the first half.

The Pride Alums performed pre-game -- they still can pound out the State Cadence. And, of course, the Pride of the Dakotas performed at halftime.

Attendance: 34 short of 15,000.

Comment

I thought the alum band did a great job.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Thanks JackJD great pictures. I sat out the parade and game both. Channel 2 MediaComm carried the parade but without comment and no closeups of the floats. Your pictures were a big help and explain what I thought I saw.

Comment

Great pics thanks for sharing JD!!

Comment

JackJD, I demand you remove this picture, as I did not give you permission to post a pic of me.

I am standing in the top row, directly under the third flag from the left (the first blue jacket you see in the top row when looking left to right.)

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

The Pride Alums performed pre-game -- they still can pound out the State Cadence. And, of course, the Pride of the Dakotas performed at halftime.

Attendance: 34 short of 15,000.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Didn't need your permission; but, if I had known that was you and not Richard Gere, I would not have posted the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Didn't need your permission; but, if I had known that was you and not Richard Gere, I would not have posted the picture.
                  Oddly enough, I used to work with a guy who looks strikingly similar to Richard Gere.

(Great pics BTW.)
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                  X