YSU-Hobo Day Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YSU-Hobo Day Game

I know there have been discussions about this under the game preview thread but discussion has been limited.

This is a HUGE game once again. A win is almost absolute in order for there to be any reasonable chance at making the playoffs. The loss at UNI was a tough one because the Jacks didn't compete. It wasn't a surprise to many that SDSU lost, however.

In the UNI thread there has been discussion about the misery of the passing game and how a lack of skill at receiver positions is likely playing a larger role than what has been recognized previously. Many posters have mentioned that losing Moss is likely a large reason for some of the struggles passing the ball, no doubt that is fact.

So, have to make it work with what we have. The scheme likely can't be expanded much, according to the coaching staff via inquiry from fans, they execution of the current passing game scheme isn't crisp enough to allow for any additional scheme.

Jacks are going to go run heavy, more Zenner or Gandy on 1st down, less attempts to pass. If YSU stuffs that things could get ugly for the offense once again. Key will once again be the Jackrabbit D. No foolish turnovers and a decent pass rush and the Jacks should be able to limit YSU's offensive efficiency.

I think these teams are very evenly matched. Home field and homecoming give SDSU a big enough edge that the Jackrabbits should win if turnovers don't kill them again. Lose the turnover battle and lose this game as well as 2 or 3 of the 3 remaining games. The Jacks HAVE to stop turning it over and NEED to start taking it away.

We'll be there bright and early ready to cheer the boys on to a much needed victory. Going to have pheasant on the grill. Should be a great day.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: YSU-Hobo Day Game

Accurate and perfectly stated. I would imagine that a deep threat is going to be a emphasis this offseason.

Comment

I dont care if we just run the ball. but would love to see more formations for the running game. I formations, splitbacks and the flash formation. would like to see lineman pulling more some times i think they get stale in the play calling and execution.

On defense I want to see us blitz. I felt like our first few games of the season we were blitzing like crazy and it was working big time doesnt seem like atleat the last home game if i can remember us blitzing once. I will blame that paying attention to my son a lot of games makes its hard to focus on every play.......

We have had more dynamic play calling and execution before so the coaches better figure out why this team isnt syncing.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My hope is that the defense isn't too passive and remains aggressive throughout the whole game.Against UNI ,I just felt they weren't playing aggressive enough,and let the UNI offense dictate to them,and let them do what they wanted ,instead of limiting their options,i would really like seeing them giving a team d*** little, like the Bison.
        With the offense struggling, the defense becomes much more important.Hopefully the offense starts clicking enough where we don't need the 'D' to be as dominate.
        As the teams we play against get better,we have to find something offensively to get some points,scoring 6 points the whole game will not get you a win in the MVFC ,unless the other team has an even more pathetic offense than you have.
        So, putting the negative vibes to rest.....Go Jacks,give it to 'em!!!Get that Hobo day win.
        Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-26-2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I dont care if we just run the ball. but would love to see more formations for the running game. I formations, splitbacks and the flash formation. would like to see lineman pulling more some times i think they get stale in the play calling and execution.

On defense I want to see us blitz. I felt like our first few games of the season we were blitzing like crazy and it was working big time doesnt seem like atleat the last home game if i can remember us blitzing once. I will blame that paying attention to my son a lot of games makes its hard to focus on every play.......

We have had more dynamic play calling and execution before so the coaches better figure out why this team isnt syncing.
          I'll disagree on the need for more formations out of the run game. We are killing it running the ball. No reason to mess with that. What we need to do is execute better on play action out of our formations, especially the I-formation with Sumner under center. I'll agree with what Catch em all said on the other thread - we should be throwing to the TEs more. Our power run formations give us the ability to play action to the TEs. Hopefully we'll see more of that.

We also need better execution in the red zone. Captain obvious is obvious.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Pretty much all that I've been thinking has already been said, I'll add one thing...

One of these days, we are gonna throw it out of the "Jackrabbit" formation, and it's going to be glorious!

Or an interception.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
              I'll disagree on the need for more formations out of the run game. We are killing it running the ball. No reason to mess with that. What we need to do is execute better on play action out of our formations, especially the I-formation with Sumner under center. I'll agree with what Catch em all said on the other thread - we should be throwing to the TEs more. Our power run formations give us the ability to play action to the TEs. Hopefully we'll see more of that.

We also need better execution in the red zone. Captain obvious is obvious.
              I think we need to change it up because having running plays with a single set and an extra tight end blocker makes it easier for teams to figure out what we are doing. Zenners last few games have been 2 of his lowest totals for the year because I think its easy for teams to key in on the run. The run game with Koneig and Minnett was a good example. They would both be in the game in different formations. Even with That Zenner is still doing great and probably will finish as one of if not still the top rusher for the nation. I Just think of a way to spell him a few plays have zenner and gandy in different formations make it look like run heavy and slip the TE and boom.

I completely agree we have gone away from the tight end. Often times those can be a struggling QBs best friend. Often left open and can slip off the line if the D is keying on the run.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

You realize we have the nation's leading rusher who has about a dozen carries over 40 yards, right? I would prefer we didn't mess with that formula, running game isn't our problem.

At this point in the season, you gotta dance with the girl you brought. Mixing things up too much or trying too many new things is a recipe for disaster, IMO.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

One thing that perplexes me,maybe it's nothing,is that in the run game,there really isn't much misdirection involved.My only guess on that is the big gainers with Zenner,didn't involve any misdirection ,just great blocking by the OL and straight up the middle quick hitting the hole stuff with very well timed blocking scheme.
                  I also think too much tinkering around changing things now at this late stage of the season only makes things worse, as there simply isn't enough time to practice new things to be able to execute them the way they should be executed.We might be stuck with the "scheme" we now have ,simply for that reason alone,wether it's working or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    You realize we have the nation's leading rusher who has about a dozen carries over 40 yards, right? I would prefer we didn't mess with that formula, running game isn't our problem.

At this point in the season, you gotta dance with the girl you brought. Mixing things up too much or trying too many new things is a recipe for disaster, IMO.
                    Wow, you must have wrote this the same time I was typing my post....eeerily similar thoughts.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      One thing that perplexes me,maybe it's nothing,is that in the run game,there really isn't much misdirection involved.My only guess on that is the big gainers with Zenner,didn't involve any misdirection ,just great blocking by the OL and straight up the middle quick hitting the hole stuff with very well timed blocking scheme.
                      I also think too much tinkering around changing things now at this late stage of the season only makes things worse, as there simply isn't enough time to practice new things to be able to execute them the way they should be executed.We might be stuck with the "scheme" we now have ,simply for that reason alone,wether it's working or not.
                      I'm no football expert, but I think there is more misdirection and pulling involved than us casual fans often realize.

http://youtu.be/wLYsnxoCvdc?t=14s

Watching the Kansas 99 yard run from behind, Zenner definitely starts toward left center then stutter steps right to the hole. The guard pulls, and the hole is there at the same time Zenner arrives. That play was a thing of beauty.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'm no football expert, but I think there is more misdirection and pulling involved than us casual fans often realize.

http://youtu.be/wLYsnxoCvdc?t=14s

Watching the Kansas 99 yard run from behind, Zenner definitely starts toward left center then stutter steps right to the hole. The guard pulls, and the hole is there at the same time Zenner arrives. That play was a thing of beauty.
                        One of my short commings,not being too observant sometimes,I agree with your astute observations....

Comment

Yeah and I get that and the problem is every D we face the rest of the year knows that too. So if we only run a few different run plays and hope he breaks a big one which he wasnt able to do last week means that if he cant our offense is in trouble. A few different formations just gives the D more to prepare for and more options for him to run from. I dont see any issue with trying to make it even better of a run game considering thats the only part of the offense we can count on.

I guess if we need to count on the running game to be our majority of the offense the running game should probably adjust to prepare for Ds to key on it even more then it has so far. I dont see anything wrong with that.

Comment

Yeah and I get that and the problem is every D we face the rest of the year knows that too. So if we only run a few different run plays and hope he breaks a big one which he wasnt able to do last week means that if he cant our offense is in trouble. A few different formations just gives the D more to prepare for and more options for him to run from. I dont see any issue with trying to make it even better of a run game considering thats the only part of the offense we can count on.

I guess if we need to count on the running game to be our majority of the offense the running game should probably adjust to prepare for Ds to key on it even more then it has so far. I dont see anything wrong with that.
                            I can follow your logic too Goon,it may seem hypocritical to say changing things might be bad at this time,to yea add plays,but i also see your point too,i don't think I'm a hypocrite, I'm just un-decided....

Comment

I'd just like to see the WRs run the right routes.
                              Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 10-26-2012, 02:04 PM.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X