PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 Pick 'em

JackJD
10-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Who could have guessed what happened on Saturday, 10/13. Only one favored team, the JACKRABBITS, won as predicted. RowdyRabbit was a little more proficient at guessing than most. How will he do this week? Will he put his hex on NDSU?

Here are the MVFC matchups for October 20:
SDSU (5-1) at UNI (1-5)
NDSU (5-1) vs USD (1-5) in Sioux Falls home game for USD?
Missouri State (1-5) at Illinois State (6-1)
Southern Illinois (4-3) at Youngstown State (4-2)
Indiana State (5-2) at Western Illinois (3-3)

If you want to keep guessing, here are some less-important schools in the region:
Minnesota (4-2) at Wisconsin (5-2)
Nebraska (4-2) at Northwestern (6-1)
Penn State (4-2) at Iowa (4-2)

Good luck!

JackJD
10-16-2012, 01:36 PM
SDSU (5-1) at UNI (1-5). Yeah, it's the Panther homecoming but the pollsters, apparently relatives of UNI coaches and player, will finally have to give it up: Jacks by 14.
NDSU (5-1) vs USD (1-5) in Sioux Falls – home game for USD? Personally, I'd like to see USD win this one.
Missouri State (1-5) at Illinois State (6-1) and it won't be close.
Southern Illinois (4-3) at Youngstown State (4-2). This one should be close...I'll with SIU by a whisker (Lennon's 'stache).
Indiana State (5-2) at Western Illinois (3-3). Shakir Bell returns to early-season production.

Minnesota (4-2) at Wisconsin (5-2). My preference is Minnesota but Wisconsin at home will be too much. Bucky by 10.
Nebraska (4-2) at Northwestern (6-1). Nebraska is still capable of giving games away. And they do in Evanston on Saturday.
Penn State (4-2) at Iowa (4-2). Tough call...

Rabbit74
10-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Who could have guessed what happened on Saturday, 10/13. Only one favored team, the JACKRABBITS, won as predicted. RowdyRabbit was a little more proficient at guessing than most. How will he do this week? Will he put his hex on NDSU?

Here are the MVFC matchups for October 20:
SDSU (5-1) at UNI (1-5)
NDSU (5-1) vs USD (1-5) in Sioux Falls – home game for USD?

If you want to keep guessing, here are some less-important schools in the region:
Minnesota (4-2) at Wisconsin (5-2)
Nebraska (4-2) at Northwestern (6-1)
Penn State (4-2) at Iowa (4-2)

Good luck!

Here are my picks.

SDSU
NDSU
ISU red
YSU
ISU blue

Wisconsin
Northwestern
Iowa

SDSUAlum08
10-16-2012, 05:39 PM
SDSU
NDSU
Illinois State
Youngstown State
Indiana State

Wisconsin
Nebraska
Penn State

Nidaros
10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
MY PICKS same as SDSU08ALum

SDSU
NDSU
Illinois State
Youngstown State
Indiana State

Wisconsin
Nebraska
Penn State

Theee Catrabbit
10-16-2012, 09:07 PM
SDSU
USD
Missouri State
Youngstown State
Indiana State

Wisconsin
Nebraska
Iowa

RowdyRabbit
10-17-2012, 08:30 AM
SDSU (5-1) at UNI (1-5) I just have a really bad feeling about this game. Perhaps I need to stop remembering past years at UNI.
NDSU (5-1) vs USD (1-5) Banged up or not, NDSU isn't going to lose two in a row.
Missouri State (1-5) at Illinois State (6-1) USD might've been MSU's only win.
Southern Illinois (4-3) at Youngstown State (4-2) Tough one, SIU is playing good ball right now. I'll take YSU at home.
Indiana State (5-2) at Western Illinois (3-3) Wouldn't mind an ISU-B loss, but it isn't gonna happen.

JackJD
10-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I see Rowdy is betting against the Jacks this week! Ouch! Hope the tea leaves he was reading were nothing more than maple leaves tossed about in this morning's wind. Catrabbit is gamblin' with his picks of USD and Missouri State. What does Catrabbit know that the rest of us don't know? Will it be another very interesting weekend in the Valley? If I had to guess on 'upsets that could happen', I think I would follow Catrabbit and pick USD but not sure I'd pick Missouri State. USD has some players that can be difference-makers. Will Powell is a great receiver. He hasn't really shined this year but maybe this will be his big game against a nicked-up NDSU defense.

rabidrabbit
10-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Jacks
Bison
Redbirds
Sycs
Penguins

Badgers
Wildcats
Hawkeyes

The porous D of UNI will get shredded by the Jacks. Look for 2 long Z squared TD scampers, and a couple of nice Sumner TD passes. If AS avoids throwing TD passes the wrong way, Jacks D will squash the Panthers.

USD is one screwed pooch. Better get a better crowd at Howard Wood than the capacity of the dome. Maybe Yotes will do the SDSU game at Howard Wood next year....

Best (tightest) game will be in Youngstown. Time for YSU to get back to winning, to make the SDSU game the following week a FCS game of the week.

rjacks21
10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
UNI - I hope I'm wrong but I just have a hard time picking against UNI at home.
NDSU
Illinois State
Youngstown St.
Ind State.

Wisconsin
Nebraska
Penn State

witness
10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
SMH at people picking UNI to win. I don't care if it is NDSU why in the heck would you not pick your team. I mean its not even a superstitious pick.

jack power
10-17-2012, 02:32 PM
SDSU
NDSU
Illinois State
Youngstown State
Indiana State

Wisconsin
Nebraska
Penn State
I agree with all of these

jack power
10-17-2012, 02:34 PM
SMH at people picking UNI to win. I don't care if it is NDSU why in the heck would you not pick your team. I mean its not even a superstitious pick.
+1 It's not like there's big money on the line, pick your own team.

RabbitObsessed
10-17-2012, 03:47 PM
It's not like it matters either way. WGAF if you pick against your own team?

witness
10-17-2012, 03:55 PM
It's not like it matters either way. WGAF if you pick against your own team?Because I think it's ridiculous. Shows you don't have faith in your team

RowdyRabbit
10-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Because I think it's ridiculous. Shows you don't have faith in your team

1. What does SMH mean?

2. It's not that I don't *hope* SDSU wins, I hope they do...I will not be rooting for a loss, believe you me, but until proven otherwise, history shows SDSU doesn't play well at UNI. I thought this before the season, and even given the records at this point, I saw no reason to change my mind.

3. Odds of running the table in the Valley are slim. Since 2000 only 3 conference winners were undefeated in conference play (2004 SIU, 2007 UNI and 2009 SIU). There is (most likely) gonna be a loss in there. (I'm predicting the UNI game.)

4. I'll save my faith in the team for winning in Fargo next month.

witness
10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
1. What does SMH mean?2. It's not that I don't *hope* SDSU wins, I hope they do...I will not be rooting for a loss, believe you me, but until proven otherwise, history shows SDSU doesn't play well at UNI. I thought this before the season, and even given the records at this point, I saw no reason to change my mind.3. Odds of running the table in the Valley are slim. Since 2000 only 3 conference winners were undefeated in conference play (2004 SIU, 2007 UNI and 2009 SIU). There is (most likely) gonna be a loss in there. (I'm predicting the UNI game.)4. I'll save my faith in the team for winning in Fargo next month.1)SMH=Scratching My Head
2)I said that you don't have faith in the team not that you don't have hope that the team can win
3)The NDSU game will be a lot tougher to win than UNI, I still expect SDSU to win both.
4)Never understood picking against your team unless it is strictly superstitious

RabbitObsessed
10-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Because I think it's ridiculous. Shows you don't have faith in your team

Which matters how? Does it mean he will cheer less? Does it mean that the players will play worse? No. WGAF?

1)SMH=Scratching My Head
Scratching my head????

smh (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smh) dude.

witness
10-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Which matters how? Does it mean he will cheer less? Does it mean that the players will play worse? No. WGAF?Scratching my head????smh (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smh) dude.My bad. I knew it was shaking too. And I think it's ridiculous that any person would pick against their team. Reminds of a bandwagon fan

RowdyRabbit
10-17-2012, 08:24 PM
My bad. I knew it was shaking too. And I think it's ridiculous that any person would pick against their team. Reminds of a bandwagon fan

I'm a pretty hard person to offend, but I'll go ahead and take offense to the bandwagon fan comment.

If the SDSU passing game was firing...at all...I probably would've picked SDSU to win in Cedar Rapids...but it just hasn't so far this year, and I think this game it comes back to bite SDSU. I hope I'm wrong.

Let's agree to disagree and move on.

JackJD
10-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Whoa. We're just having a little fun in this thread.

jack power
10-17-2012, 08:42 PM
lol The thread seems to have taken a turn

RabbitObsessed
10-17-2012, 08:51 PM
And I think it's ridiculous that any person would pick against their team. Reminds of a bandwagon fan

Reminds me of someone being objective.

witness
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Reminds me of someone being objective.Ya if you are a journalist and writing/talking about sports, not a freaking fan

I'm a pretty hard person to offend, but I'll go ahead and take offense to the bandwagon fan comment.If the SDSU passing game was firing...at all...I probably would've picked SDSU to win in Cedar Rapids...but it just hasn't so far this year, and I think this game it comes back to bite SDSU. I hope I'm wrong.Let's agree to disagree and move on.For one, I didn't call you a bandwagon fan at all. I said it reminds me of a bandwagon fan, because to be honest it does. I think that is what I didn't like most about fans picking against their own team

Ya that's my fault. But after I saw one person pick UNI I was like WTH! Then another poster picked UNI I was like you have to being joking right!?! I mean the Jacks are what 5-1, and ranked 20th in the nation and we have fans picking against them against a team that is 1-5. :confused: :confused:

End of rant. Sorry for the rant guys, just really baffled my mind. As the late great Sam Walton(founder of Wal-Mart and Sam's Club) said, "“High expectations are the key to everything.”
I think everybody should watch 30 for 30 There's No Place Like Home. It is very, very good.

JackJD
10-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Witness: knock off the jerk behavior or risk having your time on this board curtailed.

Southeast
10-18-2012, 08:13 AM
What's the point of making picks if you are going to automatically pick any one team (including the one you are a fan of) no matter what the situation? I could pick the Jacks to win if they lined up against the 49'ers, but what difference would that make (other than making me look like an ingnorant homer)? A little objectivity is a good thing.

I think the Jacks can definitely win this weekend but I sure would not put any money on it. A win in which Sumner passes for 250+ yards (and zero interceptions) would go a long way towards getting me to truly buy in to the building hype. I hope we get it but I'm not going to predict it.

JackJD
10-18-2012, 09:03 AM
Southeast is right. So, let's ignore the departure from decorum by one poster and carry on as usual.

witness
10-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Witness: knock off the jerk behavior or risk having your time on this board curtailed.Jerk behavior? For what? For saying I thought it was ridiculous? To each its own. If I'm not mistaken I wasn't the only one. Southeast-I was talking about FCS teams and UNI is 1-5. There is a difference.

JackJD
10-18-2012, 10:07 PM
I don't think SDSU fans have some duty to always pick their team. If someone picks SDSU's opponent on a particular weekend, they shouldn't have to put up with another poster suggesting they are a "bandwagon fan" or that they remind the critical poster of a "bandwagon fan". Geez, like I posted above, let's lighten up and have a little fun in the pick 'em thread. Witness, in my book, you came on like a jerk. No need to be a jerk in a thread like this one. Or, here's a suggestion: start a thread listing all the games but telling everyone that they cannot pick against SDSU. ;)

discoDancinJackrabbit
10-18-2012, 11:42 PM
I side with Witness on this. Picking against the Jacks is dorky

Nidaros
10-19-2012, 12:56 AM
I side with Witness on this. Picking against the Jacks is dorky If we are going to pick sides, I will go with JackJD, as a moderator he is trying to maintain some civil decorum. I picked the Jacks to win, but I see no harm in going the other way.

hareball
10-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Following this debate about who can and who cannot pick the Jacks to lose does make me pose this hypothetical question: Would it be acceptable for me to pick the Jacks to win? Remember hypothetical only?

Nidaros
10-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Following this debate about who can and who cannot pick the Jacks to lose does make me pose this hypothetical question: Would it be acceptable for me to pick the Jacks to win? Remember hypothetical only? Yes that would work.:rolleyes:

Theee Catrabbit
10-19-2012, 10:06 PM
I side with Witness on this. Picking against the Jacks is dorky

I'm with you both, and I by no means think witness was being a jerk. I've ranted about this stuff before and will not reopen it, nor stand on my soapbox.

RabbitObsessed
10-20-2012, 12:39 AM
SDSU (5-1) at UNI (1-5) - Just cause.

Theee Catrabbit
10-20-2012, 08:28 AM
SDSU (5-1) at UNI (1-5) - Just cause.

Well....that's no shock....I've never looked at you as a true fan anyways.........(ban me if you want, JD)

Nidaros
10-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Well....that's no shock....I've never looked at you as a true fan anyways.........(ban me if you want, JD) Not that is wrong, but RO has ties to Verminland. Seems like he grew up there, but he does cheer for the Jacks and is more than a Rabbit observer. Being a Jack follower grows on you.

bigticket1
10-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Well....that's no shock....I've never looked at you as a true fan anyways.........(ban me if you want, JD) Hope you enjoy your new role as the Chief of Fan Police.

RabbitObsessed
10-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Well....that's no shock....I've never looked at you as a true fan anyways.........(ban me if you want, JD)

Hahahaha is somebody upset? :( :( :(

You know, if I actually cared about your opinion on whether or not you thought I was a fan, your post would be really upsetting to me. It's truly fortunate that I don't take message board posts as seriously as you do.

Have a wonderful Saturday. :)

Go Jacks!

JackJD
10-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Not looking to ban anyone...moderators have other tools available. Since I have to read every post, I tend to pay attention to one's body of work. We have a congenial board that is also very entertaining for its participants. It's fine to disagree and do so vigorously in most cases...but, getting on someone's case for guessing on a game outcome in a thread that has no serious purpose? (Of course, now we know the UNI pick was accurate.)

Maybe this next week we can have two pick 'em threads: one that covers all conference games, and a second that covers all but the SDSU game -- in the second thread we'll just list SDSU as the winner vs 'any opponent'.

RowdyRabbit
10-20-2012, 09:27 PM
SDSU (5-1) at UNI (1-5) I just have a really bad feeling about this game. Perhaps I need to stop remembering past years at UNI.
NDSU (5-1) vs USD (1-5) Banged up or not, NDSU isn't going to lose two in a row.
Missouri State (1-5) at Illinois State (6-1) USD might've been MSU's only win.
Southern Illinois (4-3) at Youngstown State (4-2) Tough one, SIU is playing good ball right now. I'll take YSU at home.
Indiana State (5-2) at Western Illinois (3-3) Wouldn't mind an ISU-B loss, but it isn't gonna happen.

SDSU at UNI ...UNIDome curse continues.
USD at NDSU...ROFL.
MSU at ISU-R...The birds are really coming back down the earth, huh?
SIU at YSU...I though YSU was supposed to be so good? SIU continues their good ball. I had our game with them pegged as a sure win, but now I'm not so sure *hides from witness*
ISU-B at WIU. Yep.

Theee Catrabbit
10-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Hahahaha is somebody upset? :( :( :(

You know, if I actually cared about your opinion on whether or not you thought I was a fan, your post would be really upsetting to me. It's truly fortunate that I don't take message board posts as seriously as you do.

Have a wonderful Saturday. :)

Go Jacks!

Not in the least upset. Like I said, I don't take you seriously as a fan or on this message board mostly you just complain and bitch about every little thing, to be honest I think you're somewhat of troll you're response that you think someone is upset over one of your posts confirms it for me. My Saturday was very nice, except for the Jacks game. Have a nice week! Hopefully you find the time to stand up as a fan on Saturday. or are you picking Y'town?

RabbitObsessed
10-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Not in the least upset. Like I said, I don't take you seriously as a fan or on this message board mostly you just complain and bitch about every little thing, to be honest I think you're somewhat of troll you're response that you think someone is upset over one of your posts confirms it for me. My Saturday was very nice, except for the Jacks game. Have a nice week! Hopefully you find the time to stand up as a fan on Saturday. or are you picking Y'town?

Based on how you write, I'm not overtly concerned with what you think about me. But if you don't think I am a "real" SDSU fan after all this time, then your writing is only scratching the surface of your lack of intelligence in this thread. I'm not sure what you are basing your assertions on, other than my decision to bold UNI's name over SDSU's. To be honest, I thought SDSU would win. I haven't done any of these pick'ems all year, but I thought the comments in this thread were beyond stupid. So I decided to pick UNI as a joke. You taking it seriously is another testament to your own intelligence. Am I serious on this board very often? No. It's message board. Am I an SDSU fan? Yes, they are the only college team I cheer for in any sport on any level.

jack power
10-22-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

JackJD
10-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Got a chuckle out of the Rodney King video. And on that point of humor, I'm going to close this thread.

There have been personal attacks that are unwarranted in a thread that is an attempt by some fans to have a little mid-week entertainment speculating about the upcoming games.

Sometimes posters may growl at each other...that's probably okay. But in a pick 'em thread? Are you serious?

When the new ‘Pick ‘em’ thread is started, let’s leave the personal shots off the board. If someone wants to guess that SDSU may lose, so what. Such a thread is one in which everyone can state their opinion without concern they may getting some grief from another poster. Humor is always welcome and good-natured ribbing about a pick seems fine…but, mean-spirited attacks or over-wrought expressions of shock and surprise…really? Get off it.]

I have received messages from good members of this board who are concerned that participation will drop off when people start getting nasty to one another. That shouldn’t happen on this board.