University of Northern Iowa Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Northern Iowa Panthers

Well here we are.....if there ever was a week to go 1-0, this is it. I don't trust UNI's record with losses to Iowa, Wisconsin, NDSU, YSU, and SIU. Would anybody come out with a better record than them? Maybe a win or two. This is a good football team. They aren't very high on their defense, but look at their opponents. It is also their homecoming game so their crowd should be pretty good, had it been another weekend perhaps their turnout would be so-so.
    I think this game may define the rest of our season as we go into the real heart and difficulty of our schedule.

And of course going 1-0 would put us at 6-1, and that would be the sweet spot to be in!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Yes, we all agree our passing game could be better. That horse is dead.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Re: University of Northern Iowa Panthers

I wouldn't mind seeing a little more play action pass. With the way Zenner has been going off, he has got to be the focus of their attention. I saw a few play action calls, but I think there is more there to exploit. Go Jacks!
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
      Well here we are.....if there ever was a week to go 1-0, this is it. I don't trust UNI's record with losses to Iowa, Wisconsin, NDSU, YSU, and SIU. Would anybody come out with a better record than them? Maybe a win or two. This is a good football team. They aren't very high on their defense, but look at their opponents. It is also their homecoming game so their crowd should be pretty good, had it been another weekend perhaps their turnout would be so-so.
      I think this game may define the rest of our season as we go into the real heart and difficulty of our schedule.

And of course going 1-0 would put us at 6-1, and that would be the sweet spot to be in!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Yes, we all agree our passing game could be better. That horse is dead.
      A huge week to say the least. Our defense which has been awesome will really gets its first real test against an offense/offensive coordinator that knows what they are doing. They will throw a lot of stuff at us and their skill people have given us fits in the past. Offensively we have the most generic passing game in the nation. That is on our coordinator- it is the same from last few yrs- dink and dunk- UNI corners will man up- make us beat them with the pass and load the box to shut down Zenner. My opinion only. Saturday can't come soon enough! Go Jacks!

Comment

The difference between a win and a loss is dramatic here. In my opinion, a playoff berth is likely with a win and a long-shot with a loss. Hopefully I'll be wrong and the Jacks will get a win or two on the road at SIU or NDSU, but the passing game still has me concerned. Whatever the case, it is a lot of fun to have the team in this position.

Comment

I would expect us to pound this northern iowa team saturday. They are as down in the dumps as they get and now is a glorious time to just bury them. We are going in there with loaded shotguns in Zenner and our defense. And Sumners time is here, it is now time for him to regain confidence and start managing a championship level team. We should be fueled and loaded with confidence. !!!

With the position we're in, there's just simply no other way to go about doing this.

Comment

I think Eidsness will open up the playbook a bit more for the remainder of the season. Play action is going to happen more frequently and I think we will see some more outside the tackle run plays. No doubt the Jacks will stick to the bread and butter between the tackle runs that are the foundation upon the rest of the offense is built.

I still think it will come down to the Jackrabbit defense having to outplay the UNI offense and the need for a positive or at worse even turnover ratio. More pick 6's or redzone int's UNI will take advantage, mark my words. This is a program that is struggling right now but they know how to win.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

From the NCAA Statistics

Defensive Stats
              3rd down conversion percentage Defense: 3rd (26.32)
              4th down conversion percentage Defense: 24th (36.36)
              Fewest Penalties per game: 36th
              Fewest yards penalized: 33rd
              First downs defense: 19th (17 per game)
              Kick off return coverage Defense: 9th (14.89 per yrd allowed)
              Passing Defense (33rd)
              Red Zone Defense: 3rd
              Rushing Defense: 10th
              Sacks: 4th
              Scoring Defense: 4th
              TOTAL DEFENSE: 7th

We keep that up the rest of the season we are not going to lose many games.... Get our Passing game going and watch out.

Comment

Time to put up or shut up. The real season starts Saturday.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

While we are probably the better team, I still feel like the underdog here. UNI is on the level that we all want to get to, playoff contender year in and year out. Yet they are 1-5 this year and in no way is this an easy game, in my mind its an upset if we win. They played well but lost against Iowa, Wisconsin, YSU, NDSU, and SIU, thats a heck of a schedule that SDSU would hopefully go 2-3 against. I will be attendance and if we pull off this win I will be more jacked up after the game than I can even imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
                    While we are probably the better team, I still feel like the underdog here. UNI is on the level that we all want to get to, playoff contender year in and year out. Yet they are 1-5 this year and in no way is this an easy game, in my mind its an upset if we win. They played well but lost against Iowa, Wisconsin, YSU, NDSU, and SIU, thats a heck of a schedule that SDSU would hopefully go 2-3 against. I will be attendance and if we pull off this win I will be more jacked up after the game than I can even imagine.
                    I agree wholeheartedly. A good team, and good program, who are wounded and at home for homecoming. It's going to be a tough one.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      I agree wholeheartedly. A good team, and good program, who are wounded and at home for homecoming. It's going to be a tough one.
                      Reading at their board, www.PantherNation.com , it appears that the UNI D is a real patchwork of new/ younger starters due to injuries, and that their "star" RB (D. Johnson) has had some really bad butterfingers. This is probably the Jacks best chance in the D-I era to steal a road game at UNI. IMHO, the Jacks MO is about ideal to beat the Panthers. It is UNI's homecoming, so it should be a tough place to get the W, but I like the chances for the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        I think Eidsness will open up the playbook a bit more for the remainder of the season. Play action is going to happen more frequently and I think we will see some more outside the tackle run plays. No doubt the Jacks will stick to the bread and butter between the tackle runs that are the foundation upon the rest of the offense is built.
                        More play action when we have the leading rusher in all of Division one??? Why in the world would we want to do that??? Take off the tinfoil hat.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

http://thegazette.com/2012/10/15/uni...over-30-years/

Comment

UNI may not be the best team we've played so far, but I believe they have a better offense than any of our previous foes this season. They have a good, young QB and a balanced attacked that's proven it can put points on the board.

Excited to see how our defense responds.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                              UNI may not be the best team we've played so far, but I believe they have a better offense than any of our previous foes this season. They have a good, young QB and a balanced attacked that's proven it can put points on the board.

Excited to see how our defense responds.
                              The real question is how does the UNI defense respond? Seems like a fair question. After all defense wins games. A bunch of games have slipped through there hands so far this season. What have they done wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X