Game Flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Flights

Every home game, I see an airplane flying around above CAS.

I always assume this airplane has an SDSU photographer on board and is flying around up there snapping pictures of CAS fully loaded.

I have yet to see any of these pictures. All the of pictures on gojacks are old old, trees on the north side of the field, trailers under the east bleacher old.

http://www.gojacks.com/PhotoAlbum.db...0&PALBID=11944

There have GOT to be some newer aerial shots of CAS somewhere....where are they?
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: Game Flights

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

I always assume this airplane has an SDSU photographer on board and is flying around up there snapping pictures of CAS fully loaded.

I have yet to see any of these pictures. All the of pictures on gojacks are old old, trees on the north side of the field, trailers under the east bleacher old.

There have GOT to be some newer aerial shots of CAS somewhere....where are they?
    Those are ancient, 2004 so one photo is dated. I have no clue on airplane, but hopefully he has a photographer aboard. These photos make one appreciate all the recent improvements including the scoreboard.

Comment

I question whether the assumption stated in your second line is supported by fact. I've always thought that its common to see a small plane lazily flying around during afternoon games is because the weather is nice and pilots take the opportunity to put in some cockpit time.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I question whether the assumption stated in your second line is supported by fact. I've always thought that its common to see a small plane lazily flying around during afternoon games is because the weather is nice and pilots take the opportunity to put in some cockpit time.
        This could very well be, as the Brookings skies are quite busy with planes most days.

Even so, you would think the Athletic Dept. would want an accurate depiction of the facilities on gojacks.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Aren't there flight schools in Brookings?

Comment

SDSU has flight training, and their is alot of activity at Brookings airport as a result. I have always assumed that these are student pilots getting their flight hours in.

Comment

At one point Brookings was the busiest airport in the state from a takeoff and landing stadpoint due to the flight schools. Also, I know that we see a fair number of private jets stopping here to refuel due to the low cost of fuel, ease of getting in and out, and central location. Not sure if those stats are accurate over the last couple years but it was within the last decade for sure.

A little Cliffy Klaven like trivia for ya there Normy!

SUEPRBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

At least the GoogleMaps aerial photo is updated. It even has the south bleachers.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  At least the GoogleMaps aerial photo is updated. It even has the south bleachers.
                  And a Jackrabbit centered on the 45! Whoops! (I had forgotten that happened.)

Comment

Not sure which plane Rowdy is referring to but there is a local pilot who does the same thing during other sporting events in town. Maybe he just likes the view.

Comment

And a Jackrabbit centered on the 45! Whoops! (I had forgotten that happened.)
                      Great googally moogally!
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Ah! The old score board, the trailer house's on the east, the trees on the north side, old logo's - I thought I would miss them! Give me the new score board, the Dykhouse center and now we will soon be adding the indoor practice facility. It seems like things move slowly until you look back just a few seasons. NEW stadium please!

GBGBGJ

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                        Not sure which plane Rowdy is referring to but there is a local pilot who does the same thing during other sporting events in town. Maybe he just likes the view.

Comment

Those airplanes are from the SDSU flight school, most likely. A lot of students have to get their flying hours in on weekends or at night to accomodate the requisite sorties around their class schedules (I got most of my licenses done at night after practice or in the summer). And when you're out doing the basic stuff just north or the school, it's pretty tempting to go look at the game.

Lastly, the FAA will usually put "Temporary Flight Restrictions" over large gatherings like that, but SDSU doesn't get them. They had one when the F-16's from Sioux Falls do flybys, but not most days.

And for bonus points: My first flyby at an Oregon Ducks game during the F-15 training school (I think this is it anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQsSyhL7QE

Comment

I love flyovers. I hope there is one planned for Hobo Day or the USD game or preferably both.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              I love flyovers. I hope there is one planned for Hobo Day or the USD game or preferably both.
                              It has been a few years since there has been one at CAS. We are due, that is for sure.

I enjoyed Jack flying in and landing at midfield in the helicopter and hand delivering the game ball as well, as shown in the pictures linked above.

Comment

Working...
                              X