PDA

View Full Version : GDT: Missouri State - Beef Bowl

SDSUAlum08
09-29-2012, 07:19 AM
A must win again for State at home. See everyone on the tailgate lot in a few hours!Go Jacks!

witness
09-29-2012, 08:34 AM
A must win again for State at home. See everyone on the tailgate lot in a few hours!Go Jacks!When exactly does the tailgate lot open?

SDSUAlum08
09-29-2012, 08:37 AM
When exactly does the tailgate lot open?1 p.m. I believe.

goon
09-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Finally ITS GAME DAY.

adminhare
09-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Here's a link to the game day notes from GoJacks.com from SDSU Sports Information:
http://www.gojacks.com/downloads2/488307.pdf?ATCLID=205698610&SPSID=64624&SPID=7153&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15000

Here's a link to game day notes from Missouri State:
http://www.gojacks.com/downloads2/488601.pdf?ATCLID=205698610&SPSID=64624&SPID=7153&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15000
(http://www.gojacks.com/downloads2/488601.pdf?ATCLID=205698610&SPSID=64624&SPID=7153&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15000)
From JackJD (signed on as adminhare)

JackJD
09-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Any fans from Spearfish with a suggestion on how to listen to the game? I doubt I'll get WNAX and am hopeful the Belle Fourche AM station, KBFS 1450, listed as one of the network stations*, will have the game with a strong signal. I'll be listening during a wedding. My wife and I will have access through the internet with an iPhone but sure looks bad to appear to be texting during a wedding ceremony. A discrete radio earphone will work much better.

There was one other occasion when I had to follow a game during a wedding...it was the multiple-overtime game we lost at CAS against McNeese. It was hard not to shout out listening to the end of that one.

*one of the network stations, KSDR 1480 AM in Watertown, does not carry the games so I do not know if the network list is accurate.

JackJD
09-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Looks like the weather will be perfect in Brookings. Breeze up to 6 mph...game time temp 75.

bubbajack
09-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Just to let you all know there will be a stream on first row sports

JackJD
09-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Belle Fourche KBFS 1450 reception in Spearfish is very good. Also, with iPhone and ESPNWatch app, can watch the game but it'll really burn up the battery so I'll be listening to Tyler call the game with occasional peeks at the video on ESPNWatch.

Sure hope we get more than 15,000 in the seats. On another thread, there's discussion about only 200 reserved seats remaining yesterday and the reserved seating is 10,000. Throw in 3500 students and a bunch of general admissions and we're there.

JackJD
09-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Yesterday afternoon, somewhere between Pierre and Hayes, I had the pleasure of listening to the sports-talk show hosted by Mark Ovenden and Mike Hendrickson (do I have that right?). I know the show has been on a while but I had not heard it before. The hosts interviewed Zach Zenner and it was a very entertaining and enlightening interview. It's clear Zenner is an intelligent guy (biology/pre-med with possible future of being a surgeon). The hosts had a lot of fun (well, maybe a little too much hee-haw by the moderators at times). As my wife and I were driving into the west, bummed out about missing our first game at CAS in several years, we sure enjoyed the interview. I hope others had a chance to hear it too.

jack power
09-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Just to let you all know there will be a stream on first row sports
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/143940/1/watch-missouri-state-vs-south-dakota-state.html

mango4
09-29-2012, 05:39 PM
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/143940/1/watch-missouri-state-vs-south-dakota-state.html

Game will also be on ESPN3 for anyone that has that available.

mango4
09-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Both teams go 3-and-out to start the game. SDSU starts around the 14 on its second possession

mango4
09-29-2012, 06:28 PM
88-yard touchdown run by who else but Zach Zenner

mango4
09-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Shafrath with the pick on the ensuing Missouri State possession. Jacks start at their own 37

CatchEmAll
09-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Watching on ESPN3...awesome.

So when does Zenner get a 300 yard game? Not at all out of the realm of possiblity the way the season has started.

mango4
09-29-2012, 06:39 PM
End of 1. SDSU 7, Missouri State 0. Jacks driving

JackrabbitGuy
09-29-2012, 06:40 PM
88-yard touchdown run by who else but Zach Zenner

This young man in freaking incredible. He and this offense have a huge knack for the big play in the running game.

mango4
09-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Cam Jones picks up the first down on a 4th and 2

mango4
09-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Zenner fumbles and Missouri State recovers

CatchEmAll
09-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Fumble by Zenner. Missouri State ball.

mango4
09-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Field goal Jacks. 10-0. SDSU is outgaining Missouri State like 256-109.

More_Cowbell
09-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Could our time management skills be worse?

goon
09-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Field position has been brutal. We should be up by 20 but lucky we are not losing.

Rabbit3467
09-29-2012, 08:31 PM
terrible in the redzone!

tjbison
09-29-2012, 08:42 PM
In case anyone cares NDSU up 30-14 in the 4th

Grizzled_Jack
09-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Well that read like a comedy of errors on both sides. Is MSU's play calling really that bad?

KUlawJack
09-29-2012, 09:54 PM
That was terribly ugly. We're lucky we got the win as bas as we looked on offense. Bye week can't come at a better time. Hettiger is only casualty I've heard of. Sounds like a shoulder, had to go to the hospital.

RowdyRabbit
09-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Uffda. It's good to 4-1.

That is all.

*edit - oh, and Godley, next time take a knee when you pick it 8 yds deep in the endzone with a minute left, especially when the refs are hellbent on giving the opposing team as many opportunities as possible.

Confirmed on the reply just now...Every one of those calls under 2 minutes were ridiculous.

Theee Catrabbit
09-29-2012, 11:19 PM
A win is a win. I accept turnovers and the like. Fancy that, this defense keyed on Zach, and he still rammed it down their throats. Sounds like a lot of guys got knocked around and knicked up: Hettiger, Tracy, and a couple linemen or so. The only thing I cannot accept is Wright's bonehead run out of the endzone. He went from hero to zero in 3 seconds. I expect he will be wearing the pink this week.

The other good news is our collective blood pressure gets some relief next weekend.......

RowdyRabbit
09-29-2012, 11:24 PM
A win is a win. I accept turnovers and the like. Fancy that, this defense keyed on Zach, and he still rammed it down their throats. Sounds like a lot of guys got knocked around and knicked up: Hettiger, Tracy, and a couple linemen or so. The only thing I cannot accept is Wright's bonehead run out of the endzone. He went from hero to zero in 3 seconds. I expect he will be wearing the pink this week.

The other good news is our collective blood pressure gets some relief next weekend.......

For the record, it was Godley, not Wright.

Horrible horrible play. I hope he got ripped on the sideline for that.

Nidaros
09-29-2012, 11:28 PM

Horrible horrible play. I hope he got ripped on the sideline for that. LCB started with with Butler who got two off side penalites and was replaced by Godley, who might have been smart to take the knee with the pick, but choose to run it out. I don't recall but did he get past the twenty before he fumbled?. These kids are not even 25 years old yet so I don't think we are helpful by seconding guessing their judgement. Yes it was a horrible decision, but would I have done it differently? I really dont know. So it depends on how each player grades out after this game. Lots of low grades I would expect.

RowdyRabbit
09-29-2012, 11:53 PM
LCB started with with Butler who got two off side penalites and was replaced by Godley, who might have been smart to take the knee with the pick, but choose to run it out. I don't recall but did he get past the twenty before he fumbled?. These kids are not even 25 years old yet so I don't think we are helpful by seconding guessing their judgement. Yes it was a horrible decision, but would I have done it differently? I really dont know. So it depends on how each player grades out after this game. Lots of low grades I would expect.

I understand the kid is just trying to make a play...but downing the ball 8 yds deep is very basic.

Irregardless, it didn't come back to haunt SDSU, this time. That is all the matters.

goon
09-30-2012, 12:20 AM
It was Another win and it was also a frustrating win. 5 turnovers for both teams. Not sure if sloppy play or great D.

Worst refs ever. Atleast the 1 was horrible. Way to many penalties in the game. 21 penalties for almost 200 yards.

Did we even blitz once? I know the front 4 had done well all year but we still blitzed some. I was down for the whole 3rd qtr so might have missed it while playing with my son. When did hettinger get hurt? Just seemed like the line wasn't getting to the QB at all.

Honestly we had many drives on offense that just looked like we didn't know what we were doing. WR not getting away from coverage sumner not checking his wrs enough and not throwing the ball away to avoid a sack if the play isn't there. Thank god for zenner and another long run. With out that who knows how this game would have turned out. No passes to daughters or TT. Glad gandy got some carries.

Team needs to get healthy and figure out some issues. Punt team looked better no major miscues I saw. Glad we have a bye week. We need to get some guys healhty and get ready for a brutal end of the season. At least the next game is very winnable. After that it gets really challenging.

RowdyRabbit
09-30-2012, 12:34 AM
It was Another win and it was also a frustrating win. 5 turnovers for both teams. Not sure if sloppy play or great D.

Worst refs ever. Atleast the 1 was horrible. Way to many penalties in the game. 21 penalties for almost 200 yards.

Did we even blitz once? I know the front 4 had done well all year but we still blitzed some. I was down for the whole 3rd qtr so might have missed it while playing with my son. When did hettinger get hurt? Just seemed like the line wasn't getting to the QB at all.

Honestly we had many drives on offense that just looked like we didn't know what we were doing. WR not getting away from coverage sumner not checking his wrs enough and not throwing the ball away to avoid a sack if the play isn't there. Thank god for zenner and another long run. With out that who knows how this game would have turned out. No passes to daughters or TT. Glad gandy got some carries.

Team needs to get healthy and figure out some issues. Punt team looked better no major miscues I saw. Glad we have a bye week. We need to get some guys healhty and get ready for a brutal end of the season. At least the next game is very winnable. After that it gets really challenging.

Yeah....it's gonna be a tough second half the the schedule. So far, SDSU has beaten the teams they're *supposed* to beat. Have I seen enough to be confident we can beat a couple teams we're not *supposed* to beat? I'm not sure.

*edit* I just realized SDSU did beat ISU-B last week, who was probably considered a team they weren't *supposed* to beat.

TK22867
09-30-2012, 12:45 AM
First time seeing them live this year. My thoughts:

1. We are not as good as our record indicates.
2. Missouri State is not as bad as their record indicates.
3. Who let TOB back on the team? Sumner's problem is not his thumb, it is his decision making. He was throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage all night. Let's hope this is not a recurring theme.
4. I understand the comments on the officiating, but you cannot make helmet to helmet contact. That's the rule folks. They will call it EVERY time. They were calling helmet to helmet, but didn't explain it very well.
5. Missouri State fans should be ashamed of the sideline behavior of their coaches. Disgusting.
6. Dear refs: thanks for the great spot and first down!

RowdyRabbit
09-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Obviously *something* needs to start happening on offense other than Zenner.

SDSU can't keep depending on Zenner to break a long one (though he's doing an admirable job) or the D to bail them out.

Playing like they did tonight (or against UCDavis), we'll be looking at .500 ball at best, the rest of the way.

Nidaros
09-30-2012, 07:28 AM

3. Who let TOB back on the team? Sumner's problem is not his thumb, it is his decision making. He was throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage all night. Let's hope this is not a recurring theme.
!

Got to give MSU credit on pass coverage, our guys were covered.

Bison Fan in NW MN
09-30-2012, 08:34 AM

4. I understand the comments on the officiating, but you cannot make helmet to helmet contact. That's the rule folks. They will call it EVERY time. They were calling helmet to helmet, but didn't explain it very well.
5. Missouri State fans should be ashamed of the sideline behavior of their coaches. Disgusting.

What did their coaches do?

goon
09-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Got to give MSU credit on pass coverage, our guys were covered.

That's been a reoccuring theme all year. At some point its up to coaxhes and players to find ways to get open. M state seemed to guess right every time. When we ran they were stuffing the line when we passed they were locked into the wrs. I do feel most every team has had above avg defense we played so farbut some of our remaining games have good defenses and better offenses then what we had. Glad we got a hard fought win.

goon
09-30-2012, 08:56 AM

I think I agree with most of those points. We are lucky to be where we are but good teams find away to win.

M state sounds cliche but probably the best 0-5 team in the country. They play better their their record shows.

That was my big worry that sumner would have a sophmore slump. Tob played great his freshman year but how quickly we all forget. Let's hope its system changes with meadows gone not getting ina groove with the wrs and a bum thumb on his throwing hand. Passes look great problem is mental mistakes.

I don't know how the first penalty was thrwown from the ref fathest from the play. Right in front of the sdsu side and right infront of our section. M state player was spinning trying to make plays get some yards and no way did our guy go high for helmet to helmet. If I see a slow motion replay and he does I will change my mind but he went low and didn't launch high. When stig was out chewing out the refs and m state did a lot for that matter to me means there were more then enough questionablt calls at best. They missed what appeared to be holding several times on the m state o line.

I think the coahes should make every player on the team read the inner game of tennis. Basically teaches you that you know what you need to do so instead of thinking about just react and do it. Really would help the mental mistakes we make. Hammer home the point about do the right thing. (Ie) sumner throw it away to avoid the sack, godley take a knee punt returner letting it go over your head if its inside they 10(which they finally did this week).

goon
09-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Anyone catch attendance numbers? Was interested to hear what it was.

JackFan96
09-30-2012, 09:06 AM
We're hearing folks use the words ugly and weird and unique to describe last night. Those are kind words for bad. And code words for bad. There was a lot of bad on that field last night. We cannot continue to rely on 60-, 70-, 80-yard runs by Zenner every week. The offense needs to get its crap together. How many times were they handed the ball deep in Missouri State territory last night? And to put up only 17 is a joke. The turnovers were horrible, and kept what should have been comfortable win close the whole way...even if Missouri State is a "good" winless team. Two big problems with Sumner. One, obviously, is the interceptions. All three were bad. One was tipped, but it was a pass to a receiver who was blanketed. And that's the reason it was tipped and picked. The other thing he's doing is holding the ball way too long...taking way too many sacks. One likely cost us a field goal opportunity. Even if receivers aren't getting open downfield, he needs to throw it away. If he's not better against Western, then the thumb excuse becomes invalid. If we're going to beat the teams at the top of the table, he needs to be far better.

We can't just hang it on the defense and hold our breath all night. It's not fair. And Missouri State showed ways to pick up some good yards by using speed around the ends. That as very effective. Good game plan, and we weren't really able to stop it much. Other coaches, I am sure, will take note. Thankfully, we forced some turnovers. Obviously, the interception return at the end of the game was a bonehead play for the ages. Pull your head out. Be aware of game the game situation. Not interested in reading anything defending that play.

Have we returned a punt all season long? Have we done anything besides fair catch one or letting them bounce? Not in home games, I don't think. At least smart fair catch decisions were made last night, but we still have to improve.

The time out called at the end of the half on fourth and two when the defense was gassed and it was an obvious go-for-it situation was stupid. Don't know whose idea it was, but it was foolish. We're lucky it didn't cost us. The quarterback draw on third and five was also a horrible call. I think that was right before the missed field goal. And we had a third and one where we ran the ball without Zenner on the field. That's just silly. I understand he needs breaks, but to not have your best player on the field for an important play doesn't make any sense.

Thank heaven for the defense and ZZ. They are saviors. And the offensive run blocking. Would like to see some 12 or 16 yard runs in there instead of 2, 5, 0, 88, 3, 1, 5. Those things aside, everything else is at fail level given the fact we're at the halfway point of the season. Haven't seen the away games, but have been to both home games. It's not confidence-inspiring, and we're not a Top 25 team from what I've seen. Very happy to be 4-1, but there is still sooooooo much work to do. Probably a good time for the bye week, and then a poor team to roll into town. Get some time to heal up and improve.

JackFan96
09-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Oh, forgot to even mention the refs. They were awful, especially late. Most of those personal fouls (on both teams) were actually not personal fouls. One might - MIGHT - have been helmet to helmet. The others were just bad calls, a number of which were made by refs far away from the play. Those penalties, the looooooooooong TV time outs and the level of play made the game very, very difficult to watch. It lasted almost three and a half hours and really drug on.

Attendance was right around 14,500. Can't remember the exact number, but it was right in there.

jack power
09-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Anyone catch attendance numbers? Was interested to hear what it was.

common sense rabbit
09-30-2012, 09:15 AM
I think I agree with most of those points. We are lucky to be where we are but good teams find away to win.

M state sounds cliche but probably the best 0-5 team in the country. They play better their their record shows.

That was my big worry that sumner would have a sophmore slump. Tob played great his freshman year but how quickly we all forget. Let's hope its system changes with meadows gone not getting ina groove with the wrs and a bum thumb on his throwing hand. Passes look great problem is mental mistakes.

I don't know how the first penalty was thrwown from the ref fathest from the play. Right in front of the sdsu side and right infront of our section. M state player was spinning trying to make plays get some yards and no way did our guy go high for helmet to helmet. If I see a slow motion replay and he does I will change my mind but he went low and didn't launch high. When stig was out chewing out the refs and m state did a lot for that matter to me means there were more then enough questionablt calls at best. They missed what appeared to be holding several times on the m state o line.

I think the coahes should make every player on the team read the inner game of tennis. Basically teaches you that you know what you need to do so instead of thinking about just react and do it. Really would help the mental mistakes we make. Hammer home the point about do the right thing. (Ie) sumner throw it away to avoid the sack, godley take a knee punt returner letting it go over your head if its inside they 10(which they finally did this week). Take the wins when we can get them. Our offense was terrible and MSU even rushed for more yards than we did. I don't expect most to agree with me here but I think we are running the same offensive schemes that we ran last yr. MSU had more variety in their offense than we did. We are so predictable and boring. Never a side screen, never a reverse of any kind, never a trick play, rarely try to throw deep etc etc etc.. Get another win here in a couple of weeks and then watch out as
REALITY is going to hit. Our defense is good not great. We gave up close to 400 yards last night and over 200 yards rushing.

JackFan96
09-30-2012, 09:21 AM
xxxx

JackFan96
09-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Take the wins when we can get them. Our offense was terrible and MSU even rushed for more yards than we did. I don't expect most to agree with me here but I think we are running the same offensive schemes that we ran last yr. MSU had more variety in their offense than we did. We are so predictable and boring. Never a side screen, never a reverse of any kind, never a trick play, rarely try to throw deep etc etc etc.. Get another win here in a couple of weeks and then watch out as
REALITY is going to hit. Our defense is good not great. We gave up close to 400 yards last night and over 200 yards rushing.

I'll grant that I am a guy who is basically obsessed with the play-action pass, so imagine my shock when we actually ran one (and gained 15 yards) last night. The defense must have been stunned that it was actually called. I know I was.

RabbitObsessed
09-30-2012, 09:33 AM
I'll grant that I am a guy who is basically obsessed with the play-action pass, so imagine my shock when we actually ran one (and gained 15 yards) last night. The defense must have been stunned that it was actually called. I know I was.

Haha. I have been calling for more use of play action for years on this board. It's ridiculous with how much we run the ball that we don't utilize it more (or some).

goon
09-30-2012, 10:15 AM
S. Dakota State 17, Missouri St. 7
Associated Press

BROOKINGS, S.D. -- Zach Zenner got South Dakota State off and running with an 88-yard touchdown run in the first quarter, and the Lumberjacks went on to post a 17-7 victory over Missouri State on Saturday night.

That's the opening write up on espn. Atleast jacks was part of the team name. Another fail by the media.

NoVaJack
09-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Is this the most moribund group of fans of a 4-1, contending team in America. Jacks did not play their top game, won, and are 4-1. Would you rather be UNI today?

bigticket1
09-30-2012, 10:24 AM
We're hearing folks use the words ugly and weird to describe last night. Those are kind words for bad. There was a lot of bad on that field last night. We cannot continue to rely and 60-, 70-, 80-yard runs by Zenner every week. The offense needs to get its crap together. How many times were they handed the ball deep in Missouri State territory last night? And to put up only 17 is a joke. The turnovers were horrible, and kept what should have been comfortable win close the whole way...even if Missouri State is a "good" winless team. Two big problems with Sumner. One, obviously, is the interceptions. All three were bad. One was tipped, but it was a pass to a receiver who was blanketed. And that's the reason it was tipped and picked. The other thing he's doing is holding the ball way too long...taking way too many sacks. One likely cost us a field goal opportunity. Even if receivers aren't getting open downfield, he needs to throw it away. If he's not better against Western, then the thumb excuse becomes invalid. If we're going to beat the teams at the top of the table, he needs to be far better.
. One difference I've noticed with Sumner is that he isn't very eager to tuck it in and run if the pass isn't there. It seems to me that last year he made some good yardage with his legs rather than just staying in the pocket and looking around.

RabbitObsessed
09-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Is this the most moribund group of fans of a 4-1, contending team in America. Jacks did not play their top game, won, and are 4-1. Would you rather be UNI today?

Hey, at least we have you around to tell us how to act and what we can and can't talk about.

RabbitObsessed
09-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Watching the replay on ESPN3 and the crowd looked and sounded pretty good. I was really impressed by whoever was broadcasting the game. Seemed knowledgeable and the did a great job of highlighting different things about the game and SDSU. They talked about the Beef Bowl, the academics and a bunch of other things. I've only watched the first half, but I am impressed.

jackdaniel
09-30-2012, 10:38 AM
We're hearing folks use the words ugly and weird to describe last night. Those are kind words for bad. There was a lot of bad on that field last night. We cannot continue to rely and 60-, 70-, 80-yard runs by Zenner every week. The offense needs to get its crap together. How many times were they handed the ball deep in Missouri State territory last night? And to put up only 17 is a joke. The turnovers were horrible, and kept what should have been comfortable win close the whole way...even if Missouri State is a "good" winless team. Two big problems with Sumner. One, obviously, is the interceptions. All three were bad. One was tipped, but it was a pass to a receiver who was blanketed. And that's the reason it was tipped and picked. The other thing he's doing is holding the ball way too long...taking way too many sacks. One likely cost us a field goal opportunity. Even if receivers aren't getting open downfield, he needs to throw it away. If he's not better against Western, then the thumb excuse becomes invalid. If we're going to beat the teams at the top of the table, he needs to be far better.

We can't just hang it on the defense and hold our breath all night. It's not fair. And Missouri State showed ways to pick up some good yards by using speed around the ends. That as very effective. Good game plan, and we weren't really able to stop it much. Other coaches, I am sure, will take note. Thankfully, we forced some turnovers. Obviously, the interception return at the end of the game was a bonehead play for the ages. Pull your head out. Be aware of game the game situation. Not interested in reading anything defending that play.

Have we returned a punt all season long? Have we done anything besides fair catch one or letting them bounce? Not in home games, I don't think. At least smart fair catch decisions were made last night, but we still have to improve.

The time out called at the end of the half on fourth and two when the defense was gassed and it was an obvious go-for-it situation was stupid. Don't know whose idea it was, but it was foolish. We're lucky it didn't cost us. The quarterback draw on third and five was also a horrible call. I think that was right before the missed field goal. And we had a third and one where we ran the ball without Zenner on the field. That's just silly. I understand he needs breaks, but to not have your best player on the field for an important play doesn't make any sense.

Thank heaven for the defense and ZZ. They are saviors. And the offensive run blocking. Would like to see some 12 or 16 yard runs in there instead of 2, 5, 0, 88, 3, 1, 5. Those things aside, everything else is at fail level given the fact we're at the halfway point of the season. Haven't seen the away games, but have been to both home games. It's not confidence-inspiring, and we're not a Top 25 team from what I've seen. Very happy to be 4-1, but there is still sooooooo much work to do. Probably a good time for the bye week, and then a poor team to roll into town. Get some time to heal up and improve.

Take out the punt receiver and punt kicker out of the equation,and it's 10 on 10 blocking.To get a punt return instead of a fair catch,we need better blocking schemes on punts.Unless we're going for punt blocks,but we don't get those either.

witness
09-30-2012, 11:06 AM
After the bye week, we will truly know how good the offense will be and what the potential will be. I think what's lost in all this, is that Sumner lost probably the most important practice times after he injured his thumb. Also with the injury being on his throwing hand is the worst it can get. Despite Sumners poor play this year, there has been flashes of last year and what he can become. I expect the passing game to come out strong after the bye week

goon
09-30-2012, 11:07 AM

4 win but only isu blue is a quality win imo. If we play like this we aren't beating uni ndsu or youngstown. That means we have to beat usd western and siu to get 7 wins. Which I will be happy with that record but I think what most of us are unhappy about is we aren't playing our best ball or even seeing improvement in areas that need improvement. ZZ and the D are covering up a lot of difenecies this team has against good but not great teams so far. We are ranked and have not strated a season this good for several years so I am stoaked to be here. If we had to play isu red this year and not western or m state we probably would finish 6-5. Not what I would call a great year. I believe this team can and should be better. I feel the team would expect the same.

goon
09-30-2012, 11:32 AM

All things considered being 4-1 beating a ranked team and being ranked now I wouldn't have guessed that was possible knowing how many issues and questions we had from last year.

Kemo
09-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Last year the offense looked good and the defense looked bad: We lost

This year the offense looks bad and the defense looks good: We win

I'll take the latter.

common sense rabbit
09-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Is this the most moribund group of fans of a 4-1, contending team in America. Jacks did not play their top game, won, and are 4-1. Would you rather be UNI today? What would we be if we played UNI's schedule? Yep u got it 1-4 We'll learn a lot on the 20th of Oct. Go Jacks

jackrabit1
09-30-2012, 12:27 PM
I think last night was a case of playing down to your competition, especially when Missouri State comes in 0-4. Stig said in the presser that it seemed there wasn't that intensity that you usually see. And in my experience, that can happen when you're playing a "lesser" team.

I think the fact that the Jacks were able to make plays despite their mistakes says a lot about the players on this team.

It wasn't pretty, but SDSU went 1-0 this week. They'll be getting refreshers on the fundamentals during the bye week and I think we'll be all right.

RabbitObsessed
09-30-2012, 01:16 PM
If anyone thinks we can hang with the UNI's, NDSU's and Youngstown's of the world with a one dimensional offense, than they are nuts. But no, let's not criticize the team! We are 4-1!!!

jackrabit1
09-30-2012, 01:21 PM
I had no idea the sky was falling.

WestSideRabbit
09-30-2012, 01:40 PM
I had no idea the sky was falling.

Idk, I tried to be positive after lasts weeks game, but I'm not sure how anyone can feel good about the product we saw on the field last night. Maybe we're not giving our opponents enough credit, but our offense was UGLY again last night. Take out Zenner's 88 yard run (I know you can't do that) and even he didn't have an outstanding game.

NoVaJack
09-30-2012, 01:56 PM
If anyone thinks we can hang with the UNI's, NDSU's and Youngstown's of the world with a one dimensional offense, than they are nuts. But no, let's not criticize the team! We are 4-1!!!

This is not based on facts from yesterday's game. Jacks had 194 yards rushing, 88 on one play, and 192 passing. In fact the commentators were noting how balanced the offense was.

NoVaJack
09-30-2012, 01:58 PM
What would we be if we played UNI's schedule? Yep u got it 1-4 We'll learn a lot on the 20th of Oct. Go Jacks

1-4 based on what? That we couldn't beat Youngstown on the road or NDSU at home? Who says?

NoVaJack
09-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Last year the offense looked good and the defense looked bad: We lost

This year the offense looks bad and the defense looks good: We win

I'll take the latter.

The offense rang up almost 400 yards against a team that held two good FBS offenses down for a good part of two games. Those guys had a good defense and will not go winless. To quote Donald Sutherland from "Kelly's Heroes," "Why the negative vibes, man?" Go, Jacks!

Kemo
09-30-2012, 02:17 PM
The offense rang up almost 400 yards against a team that held two good FBS offenses down for a good part of two games. Those guys had a good defense and will not go winless. To quote Donald Sutherland from "Kelly's Heroes," "Why the negative vibes, man?" Go, Jacks!
I'm not being negative at all. I was merely pointing out the merits of having a good defense and how I'd rather win ugly than lose pretty.

Note: The offense has been able to move the ball, but I can't call it good or even above average until we start converting more of those yards into points and turn the ball over less. I'm still optimistic about the offense, as I've saw flashes of potent passing attack against MSU, but it needs to be more consistent.

NoVaJack
09-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Idk, I tried to be positive after lasts weeks game, but I'm not sure how anyone can feel good about the product we saw on the field last night. Maybe we're not giving our opponents enough credit, but our offense was UGLY again last night. Take out Zenner's 88 yard run (I know you can't do that) and even he didn't have an outstanding game.

Going to call you out on this one. What, exactly, do you want from a back, an 80-yard run each carry?
Zenner had almost 100 yards rushing (96 precisely) without that run. The Bears had not allowed more than 80 yards rushing to any back since opening weekend and Kansas State's back racked up a lot of that in the fourth quarter after Missouri State trailed 16-9 entering the fourth.
Missouri State held Senorise Perry, the feature back of undefeated and 19th-ranked Louisville, to 72 yards, his lowest total of the year.
How many backs in the country got 96 yards yesterday, much less 184?

Again, the Debby Downerism on this string is just amazing. The other guys are tying to win, too. Zenner has almost 1,100 yards rushing in five games, for crying out loud.

poppa1
09-30-2012, 02:21 PM
We are 4-1, running the ball well, defense is playing well, and I think Sumner will start making better decisions about forcing the throws. It would be nice if Austin would run the ball more like he did last year, but maybe he's worried about an injury.

WestSideRabbit
09-30-2012, 02:34 PM

Going to call you out on this one. What, exactly, do you want from a back, an 80-yard run each carry?
Zenner had almost 100 yards rushing (96 precisely) without that run. The Bears had not allowed more than 80 yards rushing to any back since opening weekend and Kansas State's back racked up a lot of that in the fourth quarter after Missouri State trailed 16-9 entering the fourth.
Missouri State held Senorise Perry, the feature back of undefeated and 19th-ranked Louisville, to 72 yards, his lowest total of the year.
How many backs in the country got 96 yards yesterday, much less 184?

Again, the Debby Downerism on this string is just amazing. The other guys are tying to win, too. Zenner has almost 1,100 yards rushing in five games, for crying out loud.
Well I was proven wrong! He had a better game than I thought while watching it. I stand by my point that the offense was ugly to watch last night.

goon
09-30-2012, 02:56 PM
This is not based on facts from yesterday's game. Jacks had 194 yards rushing, 88 on one play, and 192 passing. In fact the commentators were noting how balanced the offense was.

Did they mention the TOs and costly ints. Had many scoring chances and only 17 points? I know we have a great back and saw great passing game last year. Just like to see consistancy in passing and eliminating ints. Sumner obviously can do better. We have witnessed it before. The thumb doesn't affect decision making. His trhows look crisp and accurate for the most part. I still think coaching staff needs to bring in some varity. Play action pass should not be hard to do. I like seeing the delayed hand offs and a few things we do but Ds still key on what we are doing.

common sense rabbit
09-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Did they mention the TOs and costly ints. Had many scoring chances and only 17 points? I know we have a great back and saw great passing game last year. Just like to see consistancy in passing and eliminating ints. Sumner obviously can do better. We have witnessed it before. The thumb doesn't affect decision making. His trhows look crisp and accurate for the most part. I still think coaching staff needs to bring in some varity. Play action pass should not be hard to do. I like seeing the delayed hand offs and a few things we do but Ds still key on what we are doing. Kansas 1-3, Ms. State 0-5, Southeast La. State, 2-3, Ind. State 3-2, UC Davis 1-3 We are 4-1 against teams that have a combined record of 7-16 Need to win those games that we are supposed to win and we have. The bulk of the season remains and a lot to be known in the next month as we all know.

Nidaros
09-30-2012, 03:55 PM
I am having fun reading everyone's take on the game. Are the off the tackles runs still working Goon? I think they are, like the 88 yard one was off the tackle.

Nidaros
09-30-2012, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=NoVaJack;208943]
Well I was proven wrong! He had a better game than I thought while watching it. I stand by my point that the offense was ugly to watch last night. Offense was ugly on both sides of the ball. The MSU fumble by the qb was ugly and as were his interceptions, why not complain about those plays? The bottom line, the game was a battle of two good defensive teams. What else would you expect but an ugly offensive game.

WestSideRabbit
09-30-2012, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=WestSideRabbit;208945] Offense was ugly on both sides of the ball. The MSU fumble by the qb was ugly and as were his interceptions, why not complain about those plays? The bottom line, the game was a battle of two good defensive teams. What else would you expect but an ugly offensive game.

So are you satisfied playing down to a conference bottom feeder? Maybe they are the best 0-5 team in the country, I guess we will find out how good we actually are when we get to the teeth of our schedule.

I'm sorry for being negative, but I really felt like this was an opportunity to get our passing game going. Hopefully Sumners thumb heals in the next two weeks.

Southeast
09-30-2012, 04:50 PM
I listened to the game on the radio and heard Tyler mention after at least 3 passes that "Sumner was lucky that one was not intercepted". He's obviously going to have to make significant strides over the next couple weeks or it could get rough down the stretch. We can't count on Zenner to break an 80-yarder every game, he's getting worked to death and odds are that he's going to get dinged up eventually. At least the off-week is coming at a pretty good time to rest Zenner and get Sumner and the OL healthy.

The defense continues to impress me though. If they keep improving we should have a chance against the top-tier teams.

Nidaros
09-30-2012, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=Nidaros;208950]

So are you satisfied playing down to a conference bottom feeder? Maybe they are the best 0-5 team in the country, I guess we will find out how good we actually are when we get to the teeth of our schedule.

I'm sorry for being negative, but I really felt like this was an opportunity to get our passing game going. Hopefully Sumners thumb heals in the next two weeks. The team is 0-5, but looking at MSU defense, they are as good or as nearly as good as we are. I dont think their defense is a bottom feeder.

NoVaJack
09-30-2012, 06:09 PM
West Side: But were't you arguing last year that a win was a win and it made no difference if Sumner threw for one yard? Am confused, not that that is a rare occurrence.
C Sense: Those team record arguments don't make a hill of beans difference when you consider had the Jacks not gone 4-1 those teams would be about .500 with schedules that included six FBS opponents, including two ranked in the Top 25.

WestSideRabbit
09-30-2012, 06:44 PM
West Side: But were't you arguing last year that a win was a win and it made no difference if Sumner threw for one yard? Am confused, not that that is a rare occurrence.
C Sense: Those team record arguments don't make a hill of beans difference when you consider had the Jacks not gone 4-1 those teams would be about .500 with schedules that included six FBS opponents, including two ranked in the Top 25.
Key words are "last year." After as poor of a start as we got off to last year I was happy with anything good. Am I happy we won yesterday? Hell yes! Do I think our offense can play better? Yes, you'd be a fool not to have that as your expectation.

Our defense and running game are too good to let a poor passing offense ruin the season, because it will bite us if it doesn't improve. This could be a special team this year and I don't see how I am wrong for expecting more from our passing game. I for one, am hoping Sumner comes out in two weeks and makes me eat my words.

JimmyJack
09-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Not a great game, but we won. Remaining schedule suggests that we will be favored in three of the final six (WIU, USD, SIU) and one of the games where we'll be underdogs will be at home for Hobo Day.

I'm going to just be happy with where we are. The defense is very good and Sumner will come around. I thought he was throwing it better last night, but was pressing to make plays.

Theee Catrabbit
09-30-2012, 08:23 PM

Horrible horrible play. I hope he got ripped on the sideline for that.

Yes, I caught that, later, I swear they called Wright over the speaker last night, or some other fan called it out. I apologize to Mr. Wright.

Nidaros
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Yes, I caught that, later, I swear they called Wright over the speaker last night, or some other fan called it out. I apologize to Mr. Wright. From where I was sitting in Section F, it was No 21 Godley who got the INT., Dom is no 10 and did not see the field at all that I recall. Winston is 14 and would have been on the other side of the field. I am sure its a play that David regrets very much. He has been battling No22 Butler for playing time, and I can see how he might want to take a risk in securing his position as a starter. It backfired badly, we can all agree on that. As everyone else said, we won the game, but not every battle and we won ugly.

RabbitObsessed
09-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Key words are "last year." After as poor of a start as we got off to last year I was happy with anything good. Am I happy we won yesterday? Hell yes! Do I think our offense can play better? Yes, you'd be a fool not to have that as your expectation.

Our defense and running game are too good to let a poor passing offense ruin the season, because it will bite us if it doesn't improve. This could be a special team this year and I don't see how I am wrong for expecting more from our passing game. I for one, am hoping Sumner comes out in two weeks and makes me eat my words.

Well said, I agree with all of this. People (NoVa) realize it is possible to be happy with 4-1 and still be critical and looking for improvement, right?

Nidaros
09-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Well said, I agree with all of this. People (NoVa) realize it is possible to be happy with 4-1 and still be critical and looking for improvement, right? Oh yeah and this thread will not die for some time to come. I dont have a problem with that.

Chains
09-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Not a great game, but we won. Remaining schedule suggests that we will be favored in three of the final six (WIU, USD, SIU) and one of the games where we'll be underdogs will be at home for Hobo Day.

I'm going to just be happy with where we are. The defense is very good and Sumner will come around. I thought he was throwing it better last night, but was pressing to make plays.

I have not heard anything from Coach Stig yet.....but I can bet you that he will say something like --- just another Valley football game and you better come ready to play or you will get beat. Last Saturday night was a good example of that. Missouri State will win a couple of games this year and we need to consider ourselves fortuneate that one of those wins was not last night.

Good win gentlemen.

GBGBGJ

goon
09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I am having fun reading everyone's take on the game. Are the off the tackles runs still working Goon? I think they are, like the 88 yard one was off the tackle.

Thankfully 1 did. Other wise we win 10-7. If you like vanilla play calling this game was good for you. If we didn't have the nations leading rusher we would be in a world of hurt. I would just like to see the team give him some help. Bet ya if the passing game doesn't improve he won't get over a 30 yard run against ndsu. Eventually he won't be able to bust long ones to bail the team. I guess let's enjoy it while he is.

JackJD
09-30-2012, 09:49 PM
I listened to the game on the Belle Fourche network affiliate KBFS 1450. It was a tough game to listen to because I think Tyler calls the games accurately. But, the errors can be corrected (great timing for the bye week) and I'm still very optimistic about this team.

Cruised through Spearfish Canyon this morning before returning to the east. Lost all the negative vibe looking at the fall colors on an outstanding day.

Go Jacks!

Jacked_Up
09-30-2012, 09:51 PM
UNI seems over-rated. But the Jacks probably will have to improve, as RabbitObsessed suggested earlier in the thread, to compete with NDSU and Youngstown. At least Youngstown will be the Hobo Day game. That should help.

NoVaJack
09-30-2012, 09:53 PM
I listened to the game on the Belle Fourche network affiliate KBFS 1450. It was a tough game to listen to because I think Tyler calls the games accurately. But, the errors can be corrected (great timing for the bye week) and I'm still very optimistic about this team.

Cruised through Spearfish Canyon this morning before returning to the east. Lost all the negative vibe looking at the fall colors on an outstanding day.

Go Jacks!

That kind of vista will cure a long of things... thanks for bringing the image.

Roy
09-30-2012, 10:31 PM
UNI seems over-rated. But the Jacks probably will have to improve, as RabbitObsessed suggested earlier in the thread, to compete with NDSU and Youngstown. At least Youngstown will be the Hobo Day game. That should help.

After Saturday, Massey has FCS - 1) NDSU, 2) YSU, 3) ISUr, 8) UNI, 9) SDSU.

Theee Catrabbit
10-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Other wise we win 10-7.

Actually it probably would have went to OT at 10-10, because MSU would have played for a field goal towards the end rather than launching it into the endzone. I thought long and hard about that scenario, but once again the score remains 17-10 and SDSUfan.com continues to meltdown over being 4-1. Continue......

jackrabit1
10-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Jacks move up two spots to #23 in the latest FCS Poll... So much for the sky falling.

Nidaros
10-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Jacks move up two spots to #23 in the latest FCS Poll... So much for the sky falling.

We are doing good. Keep on winning and we move up in the polls and respectibilty

goon
10-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Actually it probably would have went to OT at 10-10, because MSU would have played for a field goal towards the end rather than launching it into the endzone. I thought long and hard about that scenario, but once again the score remains 17-10 and SDSUfan.com continues to meltdown over being 4-1. Continue......

But they already missed a FG and might have played for the win.
If you think giving 5 turn overs up in a game game is ok. Just wait till we plsy the hard part of the schedule.

The Sports Block
10-02-2012, 07:29 PM
http://chirb.it/2P9ahm

Terry Vandrovec from the Argus Leader joins The Sports Block to talk about SDSU's 17-7 win over Missouri State and what else is going on in the sports world.

goon
10-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Lets talk about the important things now. for next week are the guys still injured? any chance any injured linemen get back next game?

My big worry is hettinger, anyone hear how he is doing? hopefully doing ok. I think our line needs him. We didnt get a sack last week and he was out injured and I dont recall if we even blitzed once the whole game. we need to keep getting pressure in the back field.

Kemo
10-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Lets talk about the important things now. for next week are the guys still injured? any chance any injured linemen get back next game?

My big worry is hettinger, anyone hear how he is doing? hopefully doing ok. I think our line needs him. We didnt get a sack last week and he was out injured and I dont recall if we even blitzed once the whole game. we need to keep getting pressure in the back field.

TV commented on this (https://twitter.com/TerryVandrovec/status/253290238447853568) a few days back:

SDSU football coach John Stiegelmeier said that injury to DT David Hettiger is not as bad as feared. Just a deep bruise.

goon
10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
TV commented on this (https://twitter.com/TerryVandrovec/status/253290238447853568) a few days back:

Thats good to hear. I missed that one from TV. We need him on the line to finish the end of the year against some good teams.