X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big news on practice facility donation

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

Re: Big news on practice facility donation

The money is good, I like the idea of a donor giving money without the requirement of a name on the side of the building. However at the same time I like to know who the state funded universities are in bed with so to speak. Maybe he/she just doesn't want to be named until everything is set in stone, but if this is entirely private (we never find out). I don't know how I feel about it.

Does anyone know if a large donation has been made by a completely anonymous source in the past?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      The money is good, I like the idea of a donor giving money without the requirement of a name on the side of the building. However at the same time I like to know who the state funded universities are in bed with so to speak. Maybe he/she just doesn't want to be named until everything is set in stone, but if this is entirely private (we never find out). I don't know how I feel about it.

Does anyone know if a large donation has been made by a completely anonymous source in the past?
      Huh? If an individual wants to donate money and remain anonymous, you honor their request and cash the check....end of story

Comment

I know how I feel about it......... Have they written the check yet?
        Jackolantern

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          Huh? If an individual wants to donate money and remain anonymous, you honor their request and cash the check....end of story
          I thought the same thing. I figured JoeBoo maybe typed out his thoughts wrong regarding this issue.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            I thought the same thing. I figured JoeBoo maybe typed out his thoughts wrong regarding this issue.
            Leave to Joe and his wealth of knowledge. Nough said. I want to thank this donor for his generosity, and comend him for not wanting his name on the side of the building.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 09-24-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

A donor of this size has every right to remain anonymous if that is their desire. It's a different story in the political world,where there might be someone trying to buy influence. About the only things to be bought here are prime seating and parking spots,and for that amount of donation,they deserve that and any other perks they can get.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                A donor of this size has every right to remain anonymous if that is their desire. It's a different story in the political world,where there might be someone trying to buy influence. About the only things to be bought here are prime seating and parking spots,and for that amount of donation,they deserve that and any other perks they can get.
                I guess if thats it, then I don't have a problem with it.

Comment

[QUOTE=joeboo22;208527]I guess if thats it, then I don't have a problem with it.[/QUOTE
                  Folks, let's unpile from JoeBoo for just a minute. He made a valid point, although I am going to agree generally with others, with a caveat. Be careful about the "an anonymous donor is automatically a good donor" blanket claim. What if said donor comes with terms like those that have been central in UND's mascot fiasco? It looks, per TV's report, that the only strings on this were the challenge part. But for the sake of argument, what if a big honking anonymous donation is offered with strings attached?

Comment

There have been several large donations given anonymously but maybe not for athletics. AD Sell seems to know where the money is coming from and its not an egomaniac like Ralph from Las Vegas. Those people in GF knew what they were getting into when they first went to Ralph's Adolf Hitler Birthday party long time ago. They knew they would be a whore for the money. Any thing Ralph wanted he got. I know some of the people at the SDSU Foundation, they are very careful about money and where it comes from.

Comment

[QUOTE=NoVaJack;208529]
                      I guess if thats it, then I don't have a problem with it.[/QUOTE
                      Folks, let's unpile from JoeBoo for just a minute. He made a valid point, although I am going to agree generally with others, with a caveat. Be careful about the "an anonymous donor is automatically a good donor" blanket claim. What if said donor comes with terms like those that have been central in UND's mascot fiasco? It looks, per TV's report, that the only strings on this were the challenge part. But for the sake of argument, what if a big honking anonymous donation is offered with strings attached?
                      I guess i have faith in our people in charge not to get into a deal with strings we can't live with.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Presumably----presumably----the BoR has rather strict guidelines regarding the terms under which money may be accepted, even if various fundraising arms at the different universities are inclined to accept the money. BTW: The colder Dakota's board of higher ed wholeheartedly agreed with the terms stipulated by Mr. "Hitler Was Right", and even intervened to prevent UND from acting in any way that would've jeopardized the gift.

Comment

Per the BoR's rulebook--5:8 (2) "Gifts that could impose present or future legal obligations on the Board or the state may not be accepted without Board approval and until the attorney general certifies that the gifts are free from such obligations."

Comment

I do not agree at all with our friend JoeBoo's first post.

On the subject of Ralph Engelstad's arena, keep in mind the arena is owned by the Engelstad Foundation, and not UND. In our case, we are talking about a gift of money to SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I do not agree at all with our friend JoeBoo's first post.

On the subject of Ralph Engelstad's arena, keep in mind the arena is owned by the Engelstad Foundation, and not UND. In our case, we are talking about a gift of money to SDSU.
                              Yes, but Ralph was one of their favorite sons for a long time and with his power, he even tried to get certain faculty at UND fired because they tried to express how offensive the logo was to native people. You would expect generous alums to not act in this meddling fashion.

I believe the orginal plans were for the ice arena to be a gift to UND since Ralph had just sold his NASCAR track and had at least 200 million in cash on hand, but it took many twists and turns to get where it is now. Still under control of the Englestad Foundation and likely to remain there for some time. Maybe we should be gratiful, that SDSU does not have these kind of people. I would not mind a Boone Pickens as an alum. He has been very generous to Oklahoma State. Given plently with no strings attached except he did get his name on one of the facilties.

Comment

Working...
                              X