PDA

View Full Version : Big news on practice facility donation

NoVaJack
09-24-2012, 05:30 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120924/UPDATES/120924016/Donor-match-5-million-SDSU-facility?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

joeboo22
09-24-2012, 05:54 PM
The money is good, I like the idea of a donor giving money without the requirement of a name on the side of the building. However at the same time I like to know who the state funded universities are in bed with so to speak. Maybe he/she just doesn't want to be named until everything is set in stone, but if this is entirely private (we never find out). I don't know how I feel about it.

Does anyone know if a large donation has been made by a completely anonymous source in the past?

jack power
09-24-2012, 06:19 PM
The money is good, I like the idea of a donor giving money without the requirement of a name on the side of the building. However at the same time I like to know who the state funded universities are in bed with so to speak. Maybe he/she just doesn't want to be named until everything is set in stone, but if this is entirely private (we never find out). I don't know how I feel about it.

Does anyone know if a large donation has been made by a completely anonymous source in the past?
Huh? If an individual wants to donate money and remain anonymous, you honor their request and cash the check....end of story

jackolantern
09-24-2012, 06:20 PM

I know how I feel about it......... Have they written the check yet?:cool:

SDSUAlum08
09-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Huh? If an individual wants to donate money and remain anonymous, you honor their request and cash the check....end of storyI thought the same thing. I figured JoeBoo maybe typed out his thoughts wrong regarding this issue.

Nidaros
09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
I thought the same thing. I figured JoeBoo maybe typed out his thoughts wrong regarding this issue. Leave to Joe and his wealth of knowledge. Nough said. I want to thank this donor for his generosity, and comend him for not wanting his name on the side of the building.;)

bigticket1
09-24-2012, 07:05 PM
A donor of this size has every right to remain anonymous if that is their desire. It's a different story in the political world,where there might be someone trying to buy influence. About the only things to be bought here are prime seating and parking spots,and for that amount of donation,they deserve that and any other perks they can get.

joeboo22
09-24-2012, 07:07 PM
A donor of this size has every right to remain anonymous if that is their desire. It's a different story in the political world,where there might be someone trying to buy influence. About the only things to be bought here are prime seating and parking spots,and for that amount of donation,they deserve that and any other perks they can get.

I guess if thats it, then I don't have a problem with it.

NoVaJack
09-24-2012, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=joeboo22;208527]I guess if thats it, then I don't have a problem with it.[/QUOTE
Folks, let's unpile from JoeBoo for just a minute. He made a valid point, although I am going to agree generally with others, with a caveat. Be careful about the "an anonymous donor is automatically a good donor" blanket claim. What if said donor comes with terms like those that have been central in UND's mascot fiasco? It looks, per TV's report, that the only strings on this were the challenge part. But for the sake of argument, what if a big honking anonymous donation is offered with strings attached?

Nidaros
09-24-2012, 07:36 PM

There have been several large donations given anonymously but maybe not for athletics. AD Sell seems to know where the money is coming from and its not an egomaniac like Ralph from Las Vegas. Those people in GF knew what they were getting into when they first went to Ralph's Adolf Hitler Birthday party long time ago. They knew they would be a whore for the money. Any thing Ralph wanted he got. I know some of the people at the SDSU Foundation, they are very careful about money and where it comes from.

jack power
09-24-2012, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=joeboo22;208527]I guess if thats it, then I don't have a problem with it.[/QUOTE
Folks, let's unpile from JoeBoo for just a minute. He made a valid point, although I am going to agree generally with others, with a caveat. Be careful about the "an anonymous donor is automatically a good donor" blanket claim. What if said donor comes with terms like those that have been central in UND's mascot fiasco? It looks, per TV's report, that the only strings on this were the challenge part. But for the sake of argument, what if a big honking anonymous donation is offered with strings attached?
I guess i have faith in our people in charge not to get into a deal with strings we can't live with.

zooropa
09-24-2012, 08:05 PM

Presumably----presumably----the BoR has rather strict guidelines regarding the terms under which money may be accepted, even if various fundraising arms at the different universities are inclined to accept the money. BTW: The colder Dakota's board of higher ed wholeheartedly agreed with the terms stipulated by Mr. "Hitler Was Right" (http://articles.latimes.com/1988-10-06/news/mn-4165_1_bumper-stickers), and even intervened to prevent UND from acting in any way that would've jeopardized the gift.

zooropa
09-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Per the BoR's rulebook--5:8 (2) "Gifts that could impose present or future legal obligations on the Board or the state may not be accepted without Board approval and until the attorney general certifies that the gifts are free from such obligations."

JackJD
09-24-2012, 08:20 PM
I do not agree at all with our friend JoeBoo's first post.

On the subject of Ralph Engelstad's arena, keep in mind the arena is owned by the Engelstad Foundation, and not UND. In our case, we are talking about a gift of money to SDSU.

Nidaros
09-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I do not agree at all with our friend JoeBoo's first post.

On the subject of Ralph Engelstad's arena, keep in mind the arena is owned by the Engelstad Foundation, and not UND. In our case, we are talking about a gift of money to SDSU. Yes, but Ralph was one of their favorite sons for a long time and with his power, he even tried to get certain faculty at UND fired because they tried to express how offensive the logo was to native people. You would expect generous alums to not act in this meddling fashion.

I believe the orginal plans were for the ice arena to be a gift to UND since Ralph had just sold his NASCAR track and had at least 200 million in cash on hand, but it took many twists and turns to get where it is now. Still under control of the Englestad Foundation and likely to remain there for some time. Maybe we should be gratiful, that SDSU does not have these kind of people. I would not mind a Boone Pickens as an alum. He has been very generous to Oklahoma State. Given plently with no strings attached except he did get his name on one of the facilties.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
09-25-2012, 08:17 AM

I don't have a problem with JoeBoo asking these sorts of questions, and frankly I'm not totally comfortable with anonymous donations on principle.

I am thankful for the donation, however.

COMPLETELY HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION:

For instance, what if the anonymous donor was Monsanto? They are a HUGE company that is disliked by a lot of people (maybe not in this neck of the woods, but worldwide they are less popular than T Denny by far), and our president sits on their board. 6 months from now, Monsanto gets some sort of exclusive research deal with SDSU worth far more than 5 million. Would that have the appearance of impropriety?

Nidaros
09-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't have a problem with JoeBoo asking these sorts of questions, and frankly I'm not totally comfortable with anonymous donations on principle.

For instance, what if the anonymous donor was Monsanto? They are a HUGE company that is disliked by a lot of people (maybe not in this neck of the woods, but worldwide they are less popular than T Denny by far), and our president sits on their board. 6 months from now, Monsanto gets some sort of exclusive research deal with SDSU worth far more than 5 million. Would that have the appearance of impropriety? I am not so certain that this example is hypothetical but nearly real. Granted Montsano owns DeKalb seed corn as do every other herbicide companies own other corn seed companies. The free research could benefitsSD farmers and up yields 10 to 20 percent and with commodities such as corn, prices are not going down anytime soon, this would certainly benefit our local economy. I really dont know or have any clue what President Chicone's role is on the Montanso board. The appreance under these circumstances are not good on the surface, but I suspect the president choice to sign off on a big chunck of research would require some sort of venting process. I dont think Montsano has bought our guy. I see his presence on the Montanso board as an advantage to corn growers who some times complain about his presence on the board. Montanso like everyone else has to pay for their access to SDSU research.

NoVaJack
09-25-2012, 04:57 PM

For instance, what if the anonymous donor was Monsanto? They are a HUGE company that is disliked by a lot of people (maybe not in this neck of the woods, but worldwide they are less popular than T Denny by far), and our president sits on their board. 6 months from now, Monsanto gets some sort of exclusive research deal with SDSU worth far more than 5 million. Would that have the appearance of impropriety?

Interesting point worthy of rep points.

JackJD
09-25-2012, 09:57 PM
I think most people have no problem with anonymous gifts. If you don’t like anonymous gifts, then make a gift yourself, put your name on it, and round up a bunch of buddies and get them to give too. You can bet that as soon as the indoor facility breaks ground, we’re going to tackle the new football stadium so keep your checkbook out. And if making a donation is not in the cards, that’s okay too – just be a great fan and support those who are making the gifts, anonymous or known.

(Is this the weirdest thread drift?) On the topic of Monsanto: I disagree with your assertion, SF_Rabbit_Fan, that Monsanto, worldwide, has some terrible reputation. I’m confident I can make a case, supported by lots of facts, showing Monsanto’s contributions to increasing crop production (feed the world, all those good things) significantly outweighs anything negative perceived about the company (I’m going to guess you’re referring to Monsanto’s aggressive protection of its patents and related matters). Monsanto is highly respect in many circles as an innovator and leader. And the comment about research: true research has to be conducted objectively or it’s worthless. So, no, Monsanto giving a grant to SDSU for research does not bother me because SDSU researchers have been and will continue to be objective.

"Monsanto Field at Coughlin Alumni Stadium". I like that.

JackJD
09-25-2012, 10:14 PM
There's more optimism plus some concept drawings of the indoor facility in the thread "Performance Center Deadline" found in the "Other Athletics/Alumni/Fundraising News" category on this message board. Jump: http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?12223-Performance-center-deadline&p=208627#post208627

Nidaros
09-26-2012, 05:50 AM
I think most people have no problem with anonymous gifts. If you don’t like anonymous gifts, then make a gift yourself, put your name on it, and round up a bunch of buddies and get them to give too. You can bet that as soon as the indoor facility breaks ground, we’re going to tackle the new football stadium so keep your checkbook out. And if making a donation is not in the cards, that’s okay too – just be a great fan and support those who are making the gifts, anonymous or known.

(Is this the weirdest thread drift?) On the topic of Monsanto: I disagree with your assertion, SF_Rabbit_Fan, that Monsanto, worldwide, has some terrible reputation. I’m confident I can make a case, supported by lots of facts, showing Monsanto’s contributions to increasing crop production (feed the world, all those good things) significantly outweighs anything negative perceived about the company (I’m going to guess you’re referring to Monsanto’s aggressive protection of its patents and related matters). Monsanto is highly respect in many circles as an innovator and leader. And the comment about research: true research has to be conducted objectively or it’s worthless. So, no, Monsanto giving a grant to SDSU for research does not bother me because SDSU researchers have been and will continue to be objective.

+++ THIS. Better stated since you have a better awareness of Montsanto. I never did get those farmers who vocally opposed President Chicoine presence on the Montsano board. People often act and vote against their own interests. Naming rights acquired by Montsanto, might not be too far fetched.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
I think most people have no problem with anonymous gifts. If you donít like anonymous gifts, then make a gift yourself, put your name on it, and round up a bunch of buddies and get them to give too. You can bet that as soon as the indoor facility breaks ground, weíre going to tackle the new football stadium so keep your checkbook out. And if making a donation is not in the cards, thatís okay too Ė just be a great fan and support those who are making the gifts, anonymous or known.

(Is this the weirdest thread drift?) On the topic of Monsanto: I disagree with your assertion, SF_Rabbit_Fan, that Monsanto, worldwide, has some terrible reputation. Iím confident I can make a case, supported by lots of facts, showing Monsantoís contributions to increasing crop production (feed the world, all those good things) significantly outweighs anything negative perceived about the company (Iím going to guess youíre referring to Monsantoís aggressive protection of its patents and related matters). Monsanto is highly respect in many circles as an innovator and leader. And the comment about research: true research has to be conducted objectively or itís worthless. So, no, Monsanto giving a grant to SDSU for research does not bother me because SDSU researchers have been and will continue to be objective.

Worldwide, many people would place Monsanto right up there with oil companies or big banks. Everybody likes being able to fill their gastank or get a home loan, but lots of people don't like Exxon Mobile or Goldman Sachs. Lots of people would be uncomfortable with anonymous donations from those companies, too. Biased research is far from worthless in the hands of a mega-corporation interested in swaying public opinion. All I'm saying is that I share JoeBoo's concerns about anonymous donations, concerns that posters dismissed as stupid.

Jacked_Up
09-26-2012, 09:11 AM
... (W)hat if the anonymous donor was Monsanto? They are a HUGE company that is disliked by a lot of people (maybe not in this neck of the woods, but worldwide they are less popular than T Denny by far), and our president sits on their board. ...

I'd say that T. Denny Sanford is pretty darn popular, at least around here and in other places that he's donated money. Don't confuse jealousy of his wealth and success with unpopularity. Sanford is not well known worldwide in the same sense as Monsanta, which like any large company has critics. Overall, however, Monsanto is a highly reputable and successful company.

joeboo22
09-26-2012, 02:55 PM
All what I was getting at is I like the donations that are made public rather then not. If 2 years from now SDSU agrees to a big contract with X company (may be Monsanto, may be a dairy product company, may be a vendor agreement, etc.) Which ultimately cost the University and the students more in the long run, I don't want that company to have gotten the in because of an anonymous $5 million donation. My guess is though certain people in the know, know who this donor is and would make sure it wouldn't happen.

As far as Monsanto, Monsanto does a ton of shady stuff, just as DuPont, Dow Chemical and Syngenta do. Agribusiness is a multi billion dollar a year business and all of them have big deals with ag-schools. I wouldn't put it past 1 of them to try to gain an upper hand any which way possible.

JackJD
09-26-2012, 10:40 PM
SFRabbitFan and joeboo: I support your right and your willingness to state your opinions. Personally, I question why people take broad assertions that likely are not provable (but seem to sound pretty reasonable) and use those assertions as a foundation for making decisions or at least conclusions on which decisions may be made. But, if that's what some like to do, have at it.

[For some reason I am reminded of the Saturday Night Live skit on undecided voters which aired recently. Look it up, it's hilarious satire showing people who sound real serious and sincere but are totally lost. Again it's satire but like all good satire, the writers hit a nerve.]

MH351
09-26-2012, 11:29 PM
I hadn't realized Monsanto had joined ranks with Exxon and banks as enemies of the people. Are there any companies that are profitable that are ok? All the same, I'm very glad for this anonymous donation, and look forward to having it help us win in the future.

zooropa
09-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Which ultimately cost the University and the students more in the long run
Huh?

This isn't Faust. The donor was not Mephistopholes.

The university is not going to obligate itself to more expenses in the long term than it just received in donations.

RowdyRabbit
09-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Huh?

The university is not going to obligate itself to more expenses in the long term than it just received in donations.

ROFL. The Mephistopholes part really, and I mean REALLY struck a funny bone. Must spread reps.

Although, technically, it *could* have been...it was anonymous. Cripes sakes, now our athletic teams will have to enter the stadiums and arena's through the gates of Hell because of the strings attached to his donation.

Seriously. I found it a tad ridiculous listening to everyone curse and swear at T. Denny Sanford for throwing his name around with his money...now someone donates anonymously and everyone is cursing the anonymity. People floor me, I swear.

filbert
09-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Well played, Sir. Well played.

Huh?

LakeJack
09-27-2012, 02:41 AM
ROFL. The Mephistopholes part really, and I mean REALLY struck a funny bone. Must spread reps.

Although, technically, it *could* have been...it was anonymous. Cripes sakes, now our athletic teams will have to enter the stadiums and arena's through the gates of Hell because of the strings attached to his donation.

Seriously. I found it a tad ridiculous listening to everyone curse and swear at T. Denny Sanford for throwing his name around with his money...now someone donates anonymously and everyone is cursing the anonymity. People floor me, I swear.

This.

JackJD
09-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Good ones MH351 and Rowdy and Zooroopa!

This thread should be allowed to die. We have another thread in another section on the topic of the indoor facility.

May I suggest: those who fear things that go bump in the night start another thread, perhaps in the "Lounge" section.

SF_Rabbit_Fan
09-27-2012, 07:36 AM

For the record, I was definitely not one of those cursing or swearing at T. Denny Sanford or Sanford Hospitals donations. I dont' have a big problem with Monsanto or the President's association with them. I wouldn't have a problem with Monsanto donating if it was disclosed. I might have a problem with it if it was anonymous.

All I'm saying is that accepting large anonymous donations could present the opportunity for corruption.

Its OK for people melt down when the governor doesn't publish the list of people who go on a freaking hunting trip, but its stupid (simple minded, laughable, etc) to question a 5 million anonymous donation. Got it.

JackJD
09-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Trending now: searches on Mephistopholes.
;)

SF_Rabbit_Fan
09-27-2012, 07:42 AM
I hadn't realized Monsanto had joined ranks with Exxon and banks as enemies of the people. Are there any companies that are profitable that are ok? All the same, I'm very glad for this anonymous donation, and look forward to having it help us win in the future.

Sorry for using glorious, benevolent, and altruistic Monsanto in my hypothetical situation.

JackJD
09-27-2012, 07:45 AM
Its OK for people melt down when the governor doesn't publish the list of people who go on a freaking hunting trip, but its stupid (simple minded, laughable, etc) to question a 5 million anonymous donation. Got it.

Yeah, I thought the dustup about the hunting list was kinda dumb, too. However, I saw a distinction. When the press sought the hunting-list, it was fulfilling its traditional role to ask such questions of our elected officials: Who's paying money to you and why? Does that compare to making a donation for a facility on a university campus?

RowdyRabbit
09-27-2012, 07:58 AM

Meh, I hadn't heard about that, nor do I care to see who he took. I hope they had a great time.

jackmd
04-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Not sure where I should stick this so I will stick it here. Larson Doors and the Larson family pledge $1 million. Should see a PR in the Argus and local papers this week.

BROOKINGS, S.D. – Larson Manufacturing announced today that it has pledged $1
million toward the construction of the Indoor Practice and Human Performance Center
at South Dakota State University, a commitment that adds to a leading donor position
previously in place from the Larson family.

With Larson Manufacturing’s commitment, a total of $29 million has now been raised
toward the $32 million goal, said Justin Sell, Director of Athletics at SDSU.

“As a leading employer in Brookings, we recognize the importance of investing in
projects that add to the city’s vitality,” said Jeff Rief, President & CEO of Larson
Manufacturing. “We are convinced that this facility is a game-changer for South Dakota
State University and the city of Brookings because it will be one-of-a-kind center for this
region.”

Sell said the gifts from the Larson family provided important momentum for the project.
The company’s $1 million gift now puts SDSU at 90% of its overall goal. “We would not
be at this point without the personal commitment of the Larson family and the generosity
of Larson Manufacturing,” Sell said.

Construction on the 161,500-square-foot indoor practice and human performance center
will begin this summer, assuming the fundraising goal is met. The State Legislature
authorized the project during the 2013 session. All of the funding for the project comes
from private sources.

Larson Manufacturing is the largest manufacturer of storm doors and storm windows in
the United States. Their products are sold through several big box retailers, lumberyard
chains, and local hardware stores. LARSON is family owned company founded in
1954 and has manufacturing plants in Brookings, SD; Lake Mills, IA; and Mocksville,
NC. LARSON distributes its products through its own distribution centers including
its Central Distribution Center in Albert Lea, MN. The company employs a dedicated
team of 1300 employees throughout the United States. For more information visit

MaddogJack
04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
One will never be able to keep track of all that the Larson family has done for Brookings and for SDSU. Thanks Jeff and Thanks Larson family - from a thankful fan!

slosho
04-03-2013, 06:16 PM
The Question had come up earlier where the Million after the million that First bank and trust had given came from (So 27M to 28M I Believe; or was it before FB n' T?) (Goon may have been the one to catch this). I talked to Beth at the ticket office RE: this exact question, and the answer was this money was provided by a number of season ticket holders. In case this question was still out there.

goon
04-03-2013, 10:09 PM
The Question had come up earlier where the Million after the million that First bank and trust had given came from (So 27M to 28M I Believe; or was it before FB n' T?) (Goon may have been the one to catch this). I talked to Beth at the ticket office RE: this exact question, and the answer was this money was provided by a number of season ticket holders. In case this question was still out there.

Wasn't me but I will take credit for it. That after the first bank and trust gave. Million it was reported 1 million more total then we last thought so that's good to get that cleared up.

Nidaros
04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Wasn't me but I will take credit for it. That after the first bank and trust gave. Million it was reported 1 million more total then we last thought so that's good to get that cleared up. I believe SDSUAlum08 orginally raised the question of where did the 29th million come from. I thought it had come from from Fishbacks, but in the article cited by SDSUAlum08, it stated that the First Bank and Trust had given 1 million which made the total pledged 28 million, but it also stated that 29 million had been pledged. Apparently the Larson pledge was in the works. All the ticket holders contribution at 100 bucks would not equal 1 million bucks, that is not say that this money was not used towards the facility, but I doubt it totalled one million dollars. More like .5 million at the most. At .5 million it would have had to have 5000 season ticket holders and 1 million would require 10000 season ticket holders. Unless you are working in the accounting section at HPER, you dont know or if you do, not good for job security to be on this board correcting others like myself.

slosho
04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
feel free to call Beth at the ticket office and argue with her about it. Could have been 2 ppl each donating 500k for all I know.

goon
04-04-2013, 04:56 PM
feel free to call Beth at the ticket office and argue with her about it. Could have been 2 ppl each donating 500k for all I know.

I trust you since you named your source, no reason to doubt it. as long as the money adds up i dont really care who or where it came from.....with in reason for follow the law.

SDSUAlum08
04-04-2013, 09:10 PM
The Question had come up earlier where the Million after the million that First bank and trust had given came from (So 27M to 28M I Believe; or was it before FB n' T?) (Goon may have been the one to catch this). I talked to Beth at the ticket office RE: this exact question, and the answer was this money was provided by a number of season ticket holders. In case this question was still out there.It was me. Justin Sell had said 'We raised 29 million in 7 months.....' and only 28 million had been made public. He mentioned it on the Jackrabbit Insider a couple weeks ago.

JimmyJack
04-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Yup. You stagger the announcements to give each donor their day in the sun. Standard stuff.

2002jack
04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Yup. You stagger the announcements to give each donor their day in the sun. Standard stuff.

^^^^THIS! If you announce it all in the same day, the large donors don't get the recongition they deserve.

UWMandSDSU
04-05-2013, 11:46 AM
^^^^THIS! If you announce it all in the same day, the large donors don't get the recongition they deserve.

So does that mean we will be hearing about your big donation very soon? :)