UNI on the Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI on the Spot

The Panthers are in real danger of being out of the play-off picture in September. To get to seven Div.I wins,they have to win out the rest of the way.And their next game is against the defending National Champ Bison. If the lose,they are out of the play-off picture. I'm sure they got big payouts by playing both Wisconsin and Iowa,but they probably are wishing they had dropped one of them and scheduled a winnable FCS game.

Re: UNI on the Spot

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    The Panthers are in real danger of being out of the play-off picture in September. To get to seven Div.I wins,they have to win out the rest of the way.And their next game is against the defending National Champ Bison. If the lose,they are out of the play-off picture. I'm sure they got big payouts by playing both Wisconsin and Iowa,but they probably are wishing they had dropped one of them and scheduled a winnable FCS game.
    They are 1-3. If they lose next week, they are 1-4. If they run the table then they go 7-4 and make the playoffs. My guess is that is exactly what will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      They are 1-3. If they lose next week, they are 1-4. If they run the table then they go 7-4 and make the playoffs. My guess is that is exactly what will happen.
      According to Tyler on yesterday's broadcast,the win against Central State , a Div.II school, does not count towards the # of wins needed to make the playoffs.

Comment

According to Tyler on yesterday's broadcast,the win against Central State , a Div.II school, does not count towards the # of wins needed to make the playoffs.
        Tyler is correct

Comment

But even if they lose to NDSU, they aren't technically eliminated as they could still get the MVFC autobid...which would be incredibly unlikely considering everyone else would need to each lose 3 conference games or more with UNI needing to win out to make that possible. Not happening.

Comment

The DII game is what really screwed them. Schedule a crappy FCS team and get a win that counts towards the playoffs, especially if you have 2 B1G schools on your schedule! Some ADs are boneheads!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
              The DII game is what really screwed them. Schedule a crappy FCS team and get a win that counts towards the playoffs, especially if you have 2 B1G schools on your schedule! Some ADs are boneheads!!!!
              To be fair, UNI did have a crappy FCS team scheduled, but Savannah State bought out the contract late so they could get halftimed by Florida State instead. That put them in a predicament they couldn't overcome.

The 2 FBS/BCS teams, however, was definitely the football scheduler's (which is not always the AD) fault. If they need the money that bad, they should quiet their talk on moving to the FBS.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

bigticket1 is right, teams have to have 7 wins against DI opponents or win an autobid conference to get a playoff spot. 1 win against a non DII team with 7 DI games left to play means that UNI will have to win out. I find it a little laughable when UNI talks about moving up to FBS status and yet can't fund their programs at the current level without 2 FBS games on the schedule. The facilities would need serious upgrades and finances will need to be in much better order. Perhaps the idea to schedule 2 FBS games is part of that strategy.

So, UNI is likely to miss playoff eligibility given the difficulty of their remaining schedule.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I stand corrected. I was under the impression you could play one team under your level like like an FBS team can play one of us. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

hey l

If I understand correctly and a team needs x amount of D1 wins to qualify for the play offs - the only way UNI can make the play offs is win the conference championship to get the automatic. simply running the schedule may not win the conference.

It would really hurt my feelings if UNI missed out of the playoffs by two money games this year in Wisc and Iowa. They may have let their egos get in the their way.

GBGBGJ

Comment

I stand corrected. I was under the impression you could play one team under your level like like an FBS team can play one of us. Thanks for the clarification.
                      We are D1 just like Alabama, we count as a win for them just like they do for us, D2 is not the same level therefore they do not count towards playoffsAlso there is no specific rule that says you must get 7 DI wins to qualify for playoffs to my knowledge
                      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                        We are D1 just like Alabama, we count as a win for them just like they do for us, D2 is not the same level therefore they do not count towards playoffsAlso there is no specific rule that says you must get 7 DI wins to qualify for playoffs to my knowledge
                        Yes but no. The NCAA allows an FBS school to count 1 win over an FCS school towards its total to become bowl eligible. It would not permit a 2nd win to count. So yes, we are D1 but only once.

Comment

Yes but no. The NCAA allows an FBS school to count 1 win over an FCS school towards its total to become bowl eligible. It would not permit a 2nd win to count. So yes, we are D1 but only once.
                          Umm....yeah I know. But yes we are D1, maybe you only consider USD D1 once but last time I checked its good to use the term the whole year
                          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

I'm all for playing money games, and in UNI's case I can see playing 2 but if that is the case you HAVE to make sure you aren't playing a D-II team. I don't care if Savanah State bought you out late, go out and buy another game, because you have the money to do so.

Comment

According to the UNI guys over on FCS forum a staff member stumbled upon a press release from FSU that they were playing Savannah State. SSU didn't even call UNI, UNI called them to see what was up. SSU's response: "Oh we were going to get to calling you". Pretty unprofessional, SDSU AD beware! It left UNI scrambling for a game, unfortunately they could only get a D2 team, in a year where they had two FBS teams.
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                              X