PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State-Beef Bowl

Theee Catrabbit
09-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Oh the tradition! Oh the Beef!

Mo State rolls in 0-4. Backed in a corner and hungry for a win. I think the plan is roll in do business. DO NOT TAKE THE FOOT OFF THE THROAT UNTIL YOU ARE SURE IT'S DONE! Get Sumner and Z-rrific off the field. Sumner needs some good hand restin' time.

That being said
Jacks 31-9 :)

goon
09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Is it saturday yet. I can not wait for this game. We better have 14k in the stands imo. Its not a big name team but its beef bowl and probably great weather and we have a chance to be 4-1. Fans better be excited for this.

jackmd
09-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Duck opener, fortunately the sunrises well ahead of 1 pm when tailgating begins. There should be a great crowd in attendance. SDSU needs to advertise and promote Zenner as the nations leading rusher and a player that is a "must see attraction". In addition, push the fact this defense is dominant in a way that is very fun for the fans to watch, i.e. they fly around the field and hit people hard.

Its going to be hard to concentrate on work (where I am now) while preparing for duck hunting and the Beef Bowl.

JackJD
09-23-2012, 12:15 PM
My wife and I will be missing our first home game in many years but we did the patriotic thing and made sure our four tickets will be used by Jackrabbit fans. I'd love to see this team against what I think will be a Missouri State team that will be gambling and trying to figure out something to win a game. It should be interesting. I'm predicting the passing game will emerge and I hope there's some real offensive fire power unleashed for a crowd which should exceed 15,000.

Theee Catrabbit
09-24-2012, 09:37 AM
SDSU needs to advertise and promote Zenner as the nations leading rusher and a player that is a "must see attraction". In addition, push the fact this defense is dominant in a way that is very fun for the fans to watch, i.e. they fly around the field and hit people hard.

I'm with you a bit. But, that backfired so horribly on Ind State, it makes me nervous. But they should still do it.
I'm also retracting my original score. I kind of disregarded Missouri State because they were 0-4. Well two were FBS teams(Louisville and KState, yikes!) and 2 were close games against fair FCS teams.
It'll still be a win, but it should be close, 20-10 or something like that.

TK22867
09-24-2012, 09:59 AM
(Stands in the parking lot with 3 fingers held up - Got 3!)

Jacks 17-13. The Bears need a win and won't go quietly into the night.

jackmd
09-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Jacks will come out fired up with a bye week ahead and momentum on their side. Sumner finds his range, Gandy compliments Zenner, and the defense does what it does. Jacks 31-6 over the winless Bears.

Nidaros
09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
It should be a fun game to watch. 35-7. There is always the upset factor like the Arizonia Cardinals, 2-0. Really messing up my family football pool.

jackrabit1
09-24-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm with you a bit. But, that backfired so horribly on Ind State, it makes me nervous. But they should still do it.
I'm also retracting my original score. I kind of disregarded Missouri State because they were 0-4. Well two were FBS teams(Louisville and KState, yikes!) and 2 were close games against fair FCS teams.
It'll still be a win, but it should be close, 20-10 or something like that.

But you have to remember that Indiana State is still known more as a basketball school than a football school... It's going to take a lot of effort for the football team to garner the kind of excitement in the alumni and student body that we have at SDSU. Of course, the fact that we are one of the only games in town and don't have to compete with major-league sports in-state also helps.

jackmd
09-25-2012, 12:47 PM
From the MVFC coaches call in show and TV's blog:

And, finally, SDSU hosts Missouri State, a game that will be available on Mediacom and ESPN3. The Bears are winless this season and in this series, while the Jackrabbits are back in the top 25 for the first time in two years. They got there by winning 3 of 4 to start the season despite playing three of four on the road.
“We addressed it early,” coach John Stiegelmeier said of the No. 25 ranking, “that that’s the result of hard work, but that’s all it is right now. It doesn’t mean anything.”
The Bears are 0-2 against FCS foes this season, dropping both games by one score. They also had respectable showing against ranked FBS clubs Kansas State and Louisville.
“We’re playing better defensively, there’s no question about that,” MSU coach Terry Allen said.

Also from TV's blog:

The SDSU football team – back in the Football Bowl Subdivision media poll for the first time in two calendar years – is favored by 18 this week against winless Missouri State based on the Sagarin Ratings. The line should be similar the next time out against Western Illinois, a contest that follows a bye week.
The Jackrabbits ticket office is anticipating a crowd in the range of 14,000 people Saturday for the Beef Bowl.

I think we can go over the 15,000 mark.

JimmyJack
09-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Weather report says sunny and 74 on Saturday with little wind. Should be a very large crowd.

KUlawJack
09-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Weather report says sunny and 74 on Saturday with little wind. Should be a very large crowd.

I sure hope the part about "little wind" holds.

SUPERBUNNY
09-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Going to be a fantastic day at CAS! Great afternoon tailgate followed by a night game. BE THERE!!!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

jackmd
09-25-2012, 03:10 PM
I sure hope the part about "little wind" holds.

Going to be in the duck blind Sunday morning, so, hope for a lot of wind, some clouds and maybe a little rain after midnight Saturday. Looking like this could be a great weekend........

jackrabit1
09-25-2012, 03:26 PM
I'll make it a point to stop by the SDSU Alumni Tent before I head up to the Press Box.

NoVaJack
09-25-2012, 05:00 PM
This has Trap Game written all over it.

89rabbit
09-25-2012, 05:01 PM
I'll make it a point to stop by the SDSU Alumni Tent before I head up to the Press Box.

Sorry no Alumni Association tent on Beef Bowl weekend. Because Animal and Range Science uses the Beef Bowl BBQ as a fund raiser we don't "compete" with them by giving food away. It is the only home game that we don't have a tent. See you all on Oct. 13th.

Go State! :)

LakeJack
09-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Trouble in bear country - saw this on TV's blog

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20120923/SPORTS0401/309230023/Kary-Booher-Terry-Allen-Missouri-State-football?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s&nclick_check=1

SturgisJeff
09-25-2012, 05:39 PM
my take on this game, Missouri St comes out and keys off Zenner because with the thumb problem and passing he is all the offense the Jacks have right now. ( Ind St game total offense 348 Zenner 237, Davis game total offense 237 Zenner 197, Loosiana game total offense 439 Zenner 278, Kansas game total offense 411 Zenner 183 plus add in 44 yds in catches all games so far). they try to shut him down and just key off Gandy when he comes in. Unless Sumner comes in and can start hitting some passes it may be a long day. I see the rest of the league taking note and gearing towards shutting down Zenner. Luckily with him, he has the ability to take a small hole in the line and bust it long. Rollin, first game back last week was probably a little gun shy about getting hit so don't fault him at all. Sumner just needs to settle down and do what he did last year, if it aint open run it up field. course after reading the post on problems at Missouri St. they may not do what I wrote about because they aint thinking straight right now.

Nidaros
09-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Sorry no Alumni Association tent on Beef Bowl weekend. Because Animal and Range Science uses the Beef Bowl BBQ as a fund raiser we don't "compete" with them by giving food away. It is the only home game that we don't have a tent. See you all on Oct. 13th.

Go State! :) This makes sense. Jackrabbit1 will have spring for a beef plate, I believe they run about 8 bucks, same as any sandwich at Perkins.

jack power
09-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Trouble in bear country - saw this on TV's blog

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20120923/SPORTS0401/309230023/Kary-Booher-Terry-Allen-Missouri-State-football?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s&nclick_check=1
Ouch. That's one thing i like about Stig., he would never throw a player under the bus like that.

Nidaros
09-25-2012, 07:45 PM
It looks like TA is on his way out into the unemploymennt line.

da_coach
09-25-2012, 07:52 PM
This has Trap Game written all over it.agreed

RowdyRabbit
09-25-2012, 08:04 PM
I didn't make the UC Davis game so I'm *really* looking forward to this game.

As stated by SturgisJeff earlier, Mo. St. will obviously game plan to stop Zenner. That was Indiana States game plan too.

Question is, is the Mo St. defense better than Indiana State defense?

Jacks by 2 scores.

Nidaros
09-25-2012, 08:32 PM
This has Trap Game written all over it. We could let our guard down and yes it would be very embarassing to lose to MSU. Their program based on the last press conference and the local sports columnist appears to be in disarray. I would not be surprised to see a coaching change at MSU by the season's end. Its kind of sad too, Terry Allen has won at other places but not here. We best be on guard take it when the door opens.

jackmd
09-26-2012, 10:14 AM
This has Trap Game written all over it.

I suppose you could look at it that way although I prefer to be more optimistic.

With regard to that, allow me to express that I feel confounded by this post based on a post you made as it pertained to the Indiana St. game. It seems to me that you are suggesting in the current post that a belief by the fans, players, and coache that this team should win Saturday suggests an arrogance that may result in the players and coaches overlooking Missouri State. Your previous post seemed to suggest that an attitude of expectation to win is part of what is lacking at SDSU. Here is that post:

"Whaaaaaaaaaaa....??????

So an 0-11 season is okay if we play okay? You'd honestly take a well-played loss over a sloppy figured-out-a-way-to-win?

C'mon, people, don't overthink this. You gotta win games like this to be a contender in Big Boy football. Period, paragraph, Tweet over.

I hate to cite Bisonville on anything, but they'd drum parsings like this out of their midst in less time than it takes to say "another 6-5 and I'm okay - you're okay season." And they'd be absolutely right.

Will a loss usher in a total season failure? Maybe Not. Can we call ourselves legitimate contenders if we don't win? Absolutely Not.

What's the goal here - to win it all, or to be PrettyGoodTryers?"

Chains
09-26-2012, 08:34 PM
I agree with your point spread. I am hearing Mo State is better than its 0-4 record. they played Kstate and Lousiville and were competetive until the 4th quarter. The clearly outgained Southern Ill but could not score. Do NOT think this is going to be a show up and win game. I bet that is what Coach Stig is beating into his players all week at practice.

M.State will come out spread all over the field and throw, throw and when they get tired they will throw some more.

In front of 14,000 + fans the Jacks will win by - Rowdy had it right - two scores.

GBGBGJ

I didn't make the UC Davis game so I'm *really* looking forward to this game.

As stated by SturgisJeff earlier, Mo. St. will obviously game plan to stop Zenner. That was Indiana States game plan too.

Question is, is the Mo St. defense better than Indiana State defense?

Jacks by 2 scores.

NoVaJack
09-26-2012, 09:17 PM
I suppose you could look at it that way although I prefer to be more optimistic.

With regard to that, allow me to express that I feel confounded by this post based on a post you made as it pertained to the Indiana St. game. It seems to me that you are suggesting in the current post that a belief by the fans, players, and coache that this team should win Saturday suggests an arrogance that may result in the players and coaches overlooking Missouri State. Your previous post seemed to suggest that an attitude of expectation to win is part of what is lacking at SDSU. Here is that post:

"Whaaaaaaaaaaa....??????

So an 0-11 season is okay if we play okay? You'd honestly take a well-played loss over a sloppy figured-out-a-way-to-win?

C'mon, people, don't overthink this. You gotta win games like this to be a contender in Big Boy football. Period, paragraph, Tweet over.

I hate to cite Bisonville on anything, but they'd drum parsings like this out of their midst in less time than it takes to say "another 6-5 and I'm okay - you're okay season." And they'd be absolutely right.

Will a loss usher in a total season failure? Maybe Not. Can we call ourselves legitimate contenders if we don't win? Absolutely Not.

What's the goal here - to win it all, or to be PrettyGoodTryers?"

??? One was a response to an assertion that a loss was okay if the team played well. The trap game observation came after consecutive 22-, 25- and 28-point victory predictions on this thread. I won't call them arrogant predictions, but I would call them bullish. Mo State is an 0-4 team that you'd think would have little to lose, has been playing well defensively, and has a veteran coach. I expect a win and hope Jacks win but if the team goes in thinking it's four touchdowns better . watch out. When's the last time Jacks beat an MVC team that badly?

poppa1
09-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Missouri State comes in with a wide open passing attack, our D-Line id going to have to get after the quarterback all night long or we could be in trouble.

RowdyRabbit
09-26-2012, 10:27 PM
I expect a win and hope Jacks win but if the team goes in thinking it's four touchdowns better . watch out. When's the last time Jacks beat an MVC team that badly?

By four tds? Sept. 19 2009 vs Indiana St. (41-0).

I know, I know, it was a rhetorical question, but I got curious.

RowdyRabbit
09-26-2012, 10:28 PM
edit - double post

jacks1
09-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Stig was on 1230 AM this afternoon and said Fick reinjured himself and is a 'ways away' from playing.

SDSUAlum08
09-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Stig was on 1230 AM this afternoon and said Fick reinjured himself and is a 'ways away' from playing.Medical redshirt?

goon
09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Medical redshirt?

probably soon i would imagine. not worth losing most of a year just to play a couple games IMO. Unless he is graduating and moving on with life and doesnt want to red shirt. I would imagine if its not serious injuries that the drive to play a full yaer would still be there.

jackmd
09-27-2012, 09:36 PM
??? One was a response to an assertion that a loss was okay if the team played well. The trap game observation came after consecutive 22-, 25- and 28-point victory predictions on this thread. I won't call them arrogant predictions, but I would call them bullish. Mo State is an 0-4 team that you'd think would have little to lose, has been playing well defensively, and has a veteran coach. I expect a win and hope Jacks win but if the team goes in thinking it's four touchdowns better . watch out. When's the last time Jacks beat an MVC team that badly?

SDSU beat Miss St 43-13 in 2008.

mnjackrbt
09-28-2012, 10:27 AM
probably soon i would imagine. not worth losing most of a year just to play a couple games IMO. Unless he is graduating and moving on with life and doesnt want to red shirt. I would imagine if its not serious injuries that the drive to play a full yaer would still be there.

I believe you need to miss 2 seasons due to injury for a medical redshirt. Since he is a 5th year senior and has yet to be injured before this season unfortunately is it just bad timing as getting injured as a senior.

JackItUp78
09-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I am almost certain that is not true (2 seasons for med redshirt). See seth daughters of last year, injured his knee first game of the year and he was granted one. Kristian Porter, RB at USF played like 2 or 3 games and was still granted a med redshirt last year. I think it goes off games played or percentage of plays. Fick would qualify for one if he continues to struggle to get back.

leeshajo
09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Does anybody else have this, I don't know for lack of a better term, gut feeling that this team is on the cusp of being amazing? It just feels like everything is coming together and like all the pieces are there for a great run.

mnjackrbt
09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
I am almost certain that is not true (2 seasons for med redshirt). See seth daughters of last year, injured his knee first game of the year and he was granted one. Kristian Porter, RB at USF played like 2 or 3 games and was still granted a med redshirt last year. I think it goes off games played or percentage of plays. Fick would qualify for one if he continues to struggle to get back.

Daughters was "forced" to redshirt his first season because of an ACL injury, and then since he was injured early last year he has now missed 2 seasons due to injury.

I dont know anything about USF football so that doesnt help me much. If you have played in less than 1/3 of the games then get injured you can still redshirt that season (unless you have already used up your redshirt year). If you miss 2 seasons due to injury, you can apply for your 6th season of eligibility. Daughters missed years 1 & 4 our of 5, enough to apply for a 6th year, but no gurantee you will get it. Fick will only miss year 5, not enough to apply for a 6th season.

UWMandSDSU
09-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Per SDSU Athletic Twitter Feed:
Jackrabbit Athletics ‏@SDSU_Jacks
Less than 200 reserved seats available for Saturday's Beef Bowl game. Order at http://JackrabbitTickets.com #BeefBowl

goon
09-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I thought it was just for the 1 season as long as your out for a certain percent of games played you could play next year. I think if poeple have partial injuries and miss substantial time 2 years that may help get a MR. Waytashek for the womens team, was out most of 2 years but I think also played some of both years so since it affected more then 1 season i think is why she was granted MR.......Then again I have no idea, just guessing totally on my part.

JackItUp78
09-28-2012, 11:43 AM
I just googled it and read a few things. I see nothing about 2 years. Everything I have read says something to the tune of, if the athlete only participated in 30% or less of a season or less than 3 games, they can apply for medical hardship. How USF would "help" you is that they participate in the NCAA, same affiliation as SDSU and there was a big 2 page story in the argus leader talking about this before the football season. How he was granted a 6th season even though he played in the first 2 or 3 games last year. Bottom line is Fick would most likely be eligible for a medical redshirt. If you find something talking about the 2 year deal I would be interested in reading that, I have never heard of that and I hope that is not the case.

goon
09-28-2012, 11:53 AM
I just googled it and read a few things. I see nothing about 2 years. Everything I have read says something to the tune of, if the athlete only participated in 30% or less of a season or less than 3 games, they can apply for medical hardship. How USF would "help" you is that they participate in the NCAA, same affiliation as SDSU and there was a big 2 page story in the argus leader talking about this before the football season. How he was granted a 6th season even though he played in the first 2 or 3 games last year. Bottom line is Fick would most likely be eligible for a medical redshirt. If you find something talking about the 2 year deal I would be interested in reading that, I have never heard of that and I hope that is not the case.

I think its only if you play more then the %30 percent for 2 years but not much more and have serious injuries that combined means you still missed over a full year even though you played in more contests might be able to get 1 year back. Something like that.....Is it game time yet. Man i can not wait. WE are talking SDSU football at work and we are stoaked. Wearing our friday good luck shirts. Us guys wear the same shirt on friday and havent lost yet this year when we do. We wore different things during the Kansas game so hopefully we are doing our part to help the team.

mnjackrbt
09-28-2012, 12:13 PM

I googled it quick and found a couple articles talking about it. Here are the links to two, one is from the USA Today which says, "The NCAA typically allows players five years of eligibility to finish four years of school. But the rules allow for exceptions in cases when players miss two seasons due to injury."

The other is from a recruiting service blog, didn't look into it enough to see if I would call it a reputable source or not though. It says, "The NCAA rules specify that a player must have lost 2 seasons out of their control in order to be granted a sixth season. This is not automatically given, and the school has to appeal to the NCAA for this second redshirt to happen."

However it looks like there are exceptions to everything. There are players who haved missed 2 seasons and not got a 6th year. Theres also players such as former Houston QB Case Keenum who missed less than 1 season and was granted a 6th year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2012-01-31-3829510406_x.htm

http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2011/01/26/ask-coach-taylor-how-can-a-player-be-granted-a-6th-year-of-eligibility/

JackItUp78
09-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Crazy, I had never heard of that. Either way, lets hope Fick has a speedy recovery and is ready sooner rather than later.

SDSUAlum08
09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
I saw something online saying that State had 200 reserved tickets left for tomorrow. Does anyone know the capacity of Coughlin with only reserved seats sold?

jackmd
09-28-2012, 02:05 PM
I saw something online saying that State had 200 reserved tickets left for tomorrow. Does anyone know the capacity of Coughlin with only reserved seats sold?

I think its about 10,000. Keep in mind, general admission tickets are not accounted for. That includes students and any adults not wanting to pay the full $25 for a seat. It is rare that all reserved seats are sold (i.e. NDSU, USD, Hobo day).

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
09-28-2012, 03:39 PM
I called the ticket office to transfer my seats to my sis and I was told those same figures. Awesome.

MilwaukeeJacksAlum
09-28-2012, 03:40 PM
The "figures" I was referring to are the 200 seats available for reserved seating. Sorry.

yoteforever
09-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Good luck today

slosho
09-29-2012, 12:00 PM
Good luck today

You too!

bubbajack
09-29-2012, 01:01 PM
You too!

You don't mean that

Nidaros
09-29-2012, 01:17 PM
You don't mean that
Oh yeah I think he did. If every fan from USD was like yoteforever, there would be no rivalry and no dead rabbits tossed. Good luck to the Yotes, I dont think our guys are very crazy about Normal Ill either. Normal is a hard word to define:o So beating the Cards or Red birds should be a normal occurance, but a big win in Vermillion. Your first in the MVFC.

JimmyJack
09-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Gotta root for the Coyotes today.

If 10,000 reserved seats are sold and we can expect about 3,500 students, won't take too much walkup to get to 15k tonight. Should be fun!