Defining Moment For This Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defining Moment For This Team

Am I overstating the importance of this game? I believe this is where the rubber meets the road. We are either pretenders or contenders on Saturday. If we win, we will be making the statement that we are going to make a serious run at making the playoffs, if we lose, we are making the statement that, we are not ready yet to take that step! Not impossible with a loss on Saturday, but we will be making it difficult on ourselves!

Go Jacks!
    Jackolantern

Re: Defining Moment For This Team

Yes you are.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

It's not as important as the last two games. We can recover from a loss on the road to a respectable ISU team.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
        Yes you are.
        Disagree. Win and you are a 3-1 contender. Lose, and you are a 2-2 team with no signature wins more than a third of the way into the season. Gotta win road games like this in MVC to contend.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Disagree. Win and you are a 3-1 contender. Lose, and you are a 2-2 team with no signature wins more than a third of the way into the season. Gotta win road games like this in MVC to contend.
          No. This is overstated. This is not a "defining" moment. I wouldn't overweight a win or a loss. I won't panic if we lose, and I won't be beating my chest if we win.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

It would be nice to be 3-1 with Missouri State coming to town....
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I would say it is more important how we play then strictly W or L. Do we correct the mistakes on special teams- especially punt receive and does the passing game improve with the return of Rollin and improvement in Sumner's thumb? Or is our defense and running game that good that it can overcome those problems in the MVC?

Comment

One could agrue that every game on the schedule is a defining moment. What we look at 50 years from now are wins and losses and scores and wonder what happened in that game? It look to be a defining moment for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by jackolantern View Post
                  Am I overstating the importance of this game? I believe this is where the rubber meets the road. We are either pretenders or contenders on Saturday. If we win, we will be making the statement that we are going to make a serious run at making the playoffs, if we lose, we are making the statement that, we are not ready yet to take that step! Not impossible with a loss on Saturday, but we will be making it difficult on ourselves!

Go Jacks!
                  Completely Agree. We have ZERO signature wins...I'm not sure we even have a "good" win considering I don't believe UC Davis is that good and we only beat them by 4 points...at home and I know SELA might end up being one of the worst teams in the FCS this year.
                  In the end, this team has a lot to prove as of yet, and I'll be honest, for me, I saw another 6-5, 5-6 team(especially offense/spec. teams) on the field on Saturday. I'm definitely hoping and expecting this team to prove me wrong though!!

Go Jacks!!
                  SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

A win would be huge and sets things up for a playoff run. From that perspective this could be a defining moment. A loss is not as devastating but it will be much harder to get to 7 wins. I don't think anyone knows just how good or not good either of these teams are. SDSU's run game and defense have thus far exceeded expectations against 3 teams that are not nearly as good as Ind St. relative to their division. Ind St. knew they could run the ball and I think their defense has been every bit as good as expected as well.

Its going to come down to possession, clock management, and scoring efficiency. Which ever teams defense is on the field longer is likely to lose this one. Unless, of course, turnovers plague one or the other.

A WIN TOMORROW WOULD BE HUGE!!!
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      A win would be huge and sets things up for a playoff run. From that perspective this could be a defining moment. A loss is not as devastating but it will be much harder to get to 7 wins. I don't think anyone knows just how good or not good either of these teams are. SDSU's run game and defense have thus far exceeded expectations against 3 teams that are not nearly as good as Ind St. relative to their division. Ind St. knew they could run the ball and I think their defense has been every bit as good as expected as well.

Its going to come down to possession, clock management, and scoring efficiency. Which ever teams defense is on the field longer is likely to lose this one. Unless, of course, turnovers plague one or the other.

A WIN TOMORROW WOULD BE HUGE!!!
                      A win would certainly be huge, both in retaining a little margin for the rest of a tough football schedule but also I think a win would be huge for the identity of this football team. Although the product to this point has been uneven, I think we can see the beginning of a football team that is trying to become a strong unit with a lot of character. This game will not crush that if we lose, but it will take away some margin for error that will be needed when we play the NDSU, UNI, S. Illinois, Youngstown States of the league.
                      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                        I would say it is more important how we play then strictly W or L. Do we correct the mistakes on special teams- especially punt receive and does the passing game improve with the return of Rollin and improvement in Sumner's thumb? Or is our defense and running game that good that it can overcome those problems in the MVC?
                        Whaaaaaaaaaaa....??????

So an 0-11 season is okay if we play okay? You'd honestly take a well-played loss over a sloppy figured-out-a-way-to-win?

C'mon, people, don't overthink this. You gotta win games like this to be a contender in Big Boy football. Period, paragraph, Tweet over.

I hate to cite Bisonville on anything, but they'd drum parsings like this out of their midst in less time than it takes to say "another 6-5 and I'm okay - you're okay season." And they'd be absolutely right.

Will a loss usher in a total season failure? Maybe Not. Can we call ourselves legitimate contenders if we don't win? Absolutely Not.

What's the goal here - to win it all, or to be PrettyGoodTryers?

Comment

Whaaaaaaaaaaa....??????

So an 0-11 season is okay if we play okay? You'd honestly take a well-played loss over a sloppy figured-out-a-way-to-win?

C'mon, people, don't overthink this. You gotta win games like this to be a contender in Big Boy football. Period, paragraph, Tweet over.

I hate to cite Bisonville on anything, but they'd drum parsings like this out of their midst in less time than it takes to say "another 6-5 and I'm okay - you're okay season." And they'd be absolutely right.

Will a loss usher in a total season failure? Maybe Not. Can we call ourselves legitimate contenders if we don't win? Absolutely Not.

THIS /\ /\ /\ ++++++ Rep points

Go Jacks!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Win and they are in control of their destiny....lose and each week becomes something of a desperation......
                            I do not agree at all with "it's how they look doing it". If they do all the little things right and play to their ability, then they should win anyways. But if they do everything to their ability and still lose=long season. It would mean we don't have enough people with enough ability. I believe these guys can do it.

There's something there, the win would just verify it for the skeptical.
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Whaaaaaaaaaaa....??????

The bold has a smile on my face. "Yes we expect to win every game. "This often said by college presidents when talking sports to the media.

Comment

Working...
                              X