SDSU-ISU in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU-ISU in 2018

Just got an e-mail from SDSU... the Jackrabbits will play at Iowa State in 2018.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: SDSU-ISU in 2018

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205689444

Comment

$425,000 pay day. There was an article the local paper the other day talking about how FCS teams should be holding out for more money in these "guarantee games". I have been thinking about that and I'm not yet sure where I stand. I'm leaning towards the opinion that playing geographically closer teams, even it it means less money, is better for me as a fan. Now, it is my understanding that some teams are paying in excess of 1 million dollars to get teams in for these games.

What do others think? Shoot for larger paydays regardless of where we have to go and how much better the teams are or continue with the regional philosophy and take less money? Should we be asking for more money from regional FBS programs?

I expect the market is what dictates the payout and I trust our AD's are in tune to that and not getting duped.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        $425,000 pay day. There was an article the local paper the other day talking about how FCS teams should be holding out for more money in these "guarantee games". I have been thinking about that and I'm not yet sure where I stand. I'm leaning towards the opinion that playing geographically closer teams, even it it means less money, is better for me as a fan. Now, it is my understanding that some teams are paying in excess of 1 million dollars to get teams in for these games.

What do others think? Shoot for larger paydays regardless of where we have to go and how much better the teams are or continue with the regional philosophy and take less money? Should we be asking for more money from regional FBS programs?

I expect the market is what dictates the payout and I trust our AD's are in tune to that and not getting duped.
        I say play these games where we recruit. If that leads to big payday, that's a bonus. A game in Arizona may not be a bad option. We seem to pull kids from there each year.
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I agree, as a fan I would much rather see regional teams even if it means less money. I would be much more likely to go. Games like Kansas/Illinois are about as far as I could think about traveling to.

There are plenty of "regional" teams we could use to get a guarantee game, and it seems like there is value in scheduling close to home even if its for less money than we could get by playing Arizona.

Minnesota
          Wisconsin
          Northwestern
          Northern Illinois
          Illinois
          Misouri
          Iowa
          Iowa State
          Nebraska
          Kansas
          Kansas State
          Colorado State
          Colorado
          Wyoming
          Air Force
          NDSU (if they win another NC within 5 years and continue to sell out the Fardo Dome)

Another thing to consider is that travel expenses usually come out of the payday, right? I would guess it costs quite a bit more to fly a football team to Florida than bus them to Iowa State.

From a financial standpoint, the Athletic Department should do whatever they need to do to make ends meet.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The other factor is visibility for recruiting. As a Jack fan living in Arizona, I cant tell you how many people paid attention to my Jack apparrel after the BB tournament. I would think that having a FBS game against ASU or UA would get the attention of high school recruits.

Comment

I like the Iowa State game, I wish we could get Iowa, but they already schedule UNI and I don't see them changing that.
              I think Illinois was a waste, we already play in those areas.Wyoming, Colorado, Colo State, Air Force, we don't have any players from that area, so it would be a waste.

I do think an Arizona/Arizona State game would be beneficial for recruiting, and I think fans would travel there. I would rather go to Tucson or Mesa rather than Champaign, IL, and a lot easier to get to. We are offering more and more kids and we have a lot on our current roster.
              Quick breakdown of where our players are from, and where we need to schedule if we already don't play in the state:
              AZ = 8
              MO/KS = 8
              Nebraksa = 15
              Minn = 14
              Iowa = 11
              WI = 5
              Ill = 6

We have a handful of guys from Cali as well. But we do schedule some california FCS teams, which takes care of that.

Comment

Should we be holding out for more? The KU and Nebraska games were virtual sellouts 50-90,000 fans paying $20-80 bucks a seat and spending money on concessions likely equals a pretty nice payday for those schools. It is my understanding that Idaho State is getting nearly $1 million to play in Lincoln tomorrow.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                  The other factor is visibility for recruiting. As a Jack fan living in Arizona, I cant tell you how many people paid attention to my Jack apparrel after the BB tournament. I would think that having a FBS game against ASU or UA would get the attention of high school recruits.
                  Beating KU has paid dividends on the Kansas recruiting trail for the Bison. We had very few Kansas kids on the team in recent years and the coaches have signed a number of contributors from that state since then. Hopefully we can get a few looks from quality kids from Colorado soon.

NDSU got a couple of nice Michigan recruits after the Central Michigan drubbing in 2007 too. Neither panned out though.

I like playing Iowa State but yeah, their payouts seem low. Looking forward to going back to Ames in a few years, with a different outcome for NDSU Good luck in 2018!

Comment

Should we be holding out for more? The KU and Nebraska games were virtual sellouts 50-90,000 fans paying $20-80 bucks a seat and spending money on concessions likely equals a pretty nice payday for those schools. It is my understanding that Idaho State is getting nearly $1 million to play in Lincoln tomorrow.
                    The article i saw stated that Idaho State received $600,000. To get the $1million payday,you have to be a lower level FBS team.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      The article i saw stated that Idaho State received $600,000. To get the $1million payday,you have to be a lower level FBS team.
                      and want to get killed 73-7

Comment

Working...
                      X