CAS Concessions 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAS Concessions 2012

Looking for others opinions. Our seats are in the west grandstand, my parents and aunt and uncle sat up there while I had the kids on the east side. Kids were hot and thirsty after the 1st quarter. There are no water fountains so I am resigned to purchasing water for them. First, there is only one concession on the east side at the very south end of the bleachers. Next, at the end of the 1st quarter they are out of water. Having no other option I head over to the west side. The lines are insurmountable so I elect to walk out to the tailgate lot with the 3 kids (under the watchful eye of the UPD mind you). I was able to walk out, grab water, walk back in and still see my mother in line waiting to get a snack. I am certain halftime was much worse. I checked back with the concession stand in the 2nd half and they had no water and no soft drinks by that time. Seems like a lot of revenue and fan comfort being wasted or ignored. Maybe I'm the only one feeling this way.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: CAS Concessions 2012

Agreed. It wasn't even a particularly large crowd yesterday. My wife went down to get us water after the band played. She didn't get back until about half of the third quarter was over.... and of course there was no water.

What happens when there are 17,000 people in CAS one of these days?
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      Agreed. It wasn't even a particularly large crowd yesterday. My wife went down to get us water after the band played. She didn't get back until about half of the third quarter was over.... and of course there was no water.

What happens when there are 17,000 people in CAS one of these days?
      The first game FB game at CAS I have ever convinced my parents to attend and it will likely be the last because of the comfort issues with concessions and bathrooms. Like it or not these things are a priority for a lot of those in attendance. Its not an impossible thing to fix and will pay for itself immediately. I expect to see more options in 2 weeks.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I have heard rumors that there is a new person in charge of concessions this year. Perhaps they were expecting a smaller crowd that was similar to the end of the season last year?

Comment

I left my seat as the band was about to hit the field and got back in time to miss three minutes of the third quarter. It was a very slow moving line I was in for some reason, but CAS is past its time in nearly everything. On the West stands the aisles are way to small and not enough aisles, space between the rows is really limited Worst of all no hand rails once you get by the tunnel entrance. Up in the 17th or 18th row, if you dont have perfect balance, you fall on your face and get hurt bad. If I win the lottery I promise to build a brand new CAS. We need one bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I left my seat as the band was about to hit the field and got back in time to miss three minutes of the third quarter. It was a very slow moving line I was in for some reason, but CAS is past its time in nearly everything. On the West stands the aisles are way to small and not enough aisles, space between the rows is really limited Worst of all no hand rails once you get by the tunnel entrance. Up in the 17th or 18th row, if you dont have perfect balance, you fall on your face and get hurt bad. If I win the lottery I promise to build a brand new CAS. We need one bad.
            Agree, there are limitations related to the structure but that isn't true for concession options in my opinion. Put a couple of trailers, tents, and coolers with beverages on the south and north ends of the east bleachers and the west grandstand. Have extra water and soft drinks on carts and plunge them in the ice when you need them. It isn't like they will spoil if they aren't purchased that day. It should be better in 2 weeks, if not, i'll be sorely disappointed.

Comment

I can understand in late november games if we run out of hot choclate. A lot of factors in those game and you have to make it. Stuff in bottles you just need to have enough regardless or attendance imo. If you have to much left at the end of the year just put it in pop machines or sell in the union etc. I got my nachos and for 3 bucks I was happy. Could have been more expensive. Price I think is fair enough. I guess I understand the benefists of a new field house but I am selfish enough to want the new stadium first.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Lots of off-the-field glitches in that first game that should not have happened. JackMD said it well. For me, with the long lines, I decided to skip buying anything at the concession stands. That was the second time I can recall when I attended a college athletic event and did not buy concessions (the other time being the second Gophers game I attended at TCF Stadium...those people were making change out of cigar boxes for the first two seasons...I learned from my first experience at "the Bank" that there wasn't going to be a second time when I'd stand in line for concessions...two parties lost: I lost weight and the U of MN didn't get my $20).

Until we get all the parts figured out, going to a game at CAS won't be an "event" for everybody and that means we won't be averaging 16,000 per season. I'll always be there but we have to have an atmposphere that attracts the more casual fans.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Agree, there are limitations related to the structure but that isn't true for concession options in my opinion. Put a couple of trailers, tents, and coolers with beverages on the south and north ends of the east bleachers and the west grandstand. Have extra water and soft drinks on carts and plunge them in the ice when you need them. It isn't like they will spoil if they aren't purchased that day. It should be better in 2 weeks, if not, i'll be sorely disappointed.
                  No doubt availability does leave some thing to be desired, and a lot of revenue lost opportunities such as yesterday. The over all preparation by the concession folks was not well done. This was one of the worst I encountered. My thoughts about CAS in general reflect the real need for a new facility in which many of the concessions problems would be worked out you would think but JackJD comments about TCF suggest we might still have problems even with a new facility. Lets hope not.

Comment

I went down at half to buy a soda and some popcorn, saw the long lines and decided I didn't want to miss the game. I went back to my seat $5 richer.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Just throwing it out there, do you think the althletic department is almost encouraging this to get a greater push for the new stadium? Think about it, someone complains to the athletic department about the concessions ..."we realize that the it is a long wait, unfortunately, we are constricted by what we have to work with. This is another reason why we are pushing for a new stadium, which would resolve the bathroom and concession issues we have"
                      If they make it too nice, then why do we need a new stadium? If a fan can fly through the concessions and get back to my seat, then you will get a push from a group of fans that say CAS is good enough, and that we don't need a new stadium. Short term pain for long term gain. Get a new stadium, get the fans back with cushy new digs.
                      thoughts?

Comment

Rabbits64 said, "Just throwing it out there, do you think the althletic department is almost encouraging this to get a greater push for the new stadium?"

You have to wonder. They had virtually a full year to plan for this home opener and it sounds like they blew it in a big way. That's just amazing to me. Do we really want to move forward or is it all just talk?

Comment

I believe Aramark was under staffed,unprepared, and probably isn't worried since they are the only game in town. They need other options, let Aramark collect a fee from them so there are more options, then spread them out more through CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa1 View Post
                            I believe Aramark was under staffed,unprepared, and probably isn't worried since they are the only game in town. They need other options, let Aramark collect a fee from them so there are more options, then spread them out more through CAS.
                            The trouble with that is with the level of the fee that Aramark collects. Campus organizations couldn't make enough profit to make it worthwhile after Aramark took their cut.

Comment

Originally posted by THEjackrabbit View Post
                              I have heard rumors that there is a new person in charge of concessions this year. Perhaps they were expecting a smaller crowd that was similar to the end of the season last year?
                              Well apparently we need a new / new person in charge of concessions. I've completely given up on trying to get to the concessions stand at any point. Not expecting as large a crowd is foolish.....bottled water along with other items are not parishable! In fact I was with the understanding that SDSU was expecting a larger crowd than we actually had.

Last but not least it costs more to go to the concession stand at SDSU events than it does for a ticket to attend th event. That's what happens when you have no competition for concessions. Three day old popcorn, soggy hot dog buns - no thanks. I prefer tailgating food anyway.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Working...
                              X