Rollin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rollin

Anyone have an update of his status? I know he was stuck in Louisiana. Is he back in Brookings? I want him back on the field, but I am more concerned about his overall health, as it sounded like a fairly vicious hit.

Re: Rollin

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
    Anyone have an update of his status? I know he was stuck in Louisiana. Is he back in Brookings? I want him back on the field, but I am more concerned about his overall health, as it sounded like a fairly vicious hit.
    I was at the Difference makers meeting last evening and Coach Stig did say he got hit really hard between the shoulder pads and the rib pads,some what a freakish hit, where there are not ordinarly padding. He was bleeding in both lungs and was spitting up blood as he came off the field, meanwhile the SLU players were laughing and congradulating each other. Rollin is back in Brookings.

The bleeding has stopped and he can not fly for 3 or 4 weeks which means they will have to drive him out to to the Illinois State game, as they think he will be available to play. The good news seems to be that their was no permanent damage, and needs some time to heal.

Ron Roberts the new coach he mentioned had ran off 4 former players before spring season ended and wanted to run about 9 more off, but it would affect their graduation rates. Stig was not sure what he was telling him, but he has job still ahead of him in getting rid of all the thugs. I tend to believe that Ron Roberts is a very clean coach and I am sure he did not appreciate the celebration by his players.

Comment

It's football. Players get hurt and big hits happen. I wish I could see the extra celebrating because when I watched it via replay it didn't look excessive at all. Defensive players need to play with that mentality that they're trying to hurt someone, but not injure them. Stig got all wound up over an NDSU hit a couple years ago too. I feel like it makes him seem like a whiner, but just my opinion.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        It's football. Players get hurt and big hits happen. I wish I could see the extra celebrating because when I watched it via replay it didn't look excessive at all. Defensive players need to play with that mentality that they're trying to hurt someone, but not injure them. Stig got all wound up over an NDSU hit a couple years ago too. I feel like it makes him seem like a whiner, but just my opinion.
        Yes it was a very unique hit, and probably not intentional. No doubt they had seen tape on Rollin all week long and taking out the big threat that is keeping him from catching the ball was a concern. Rollin was no doubt a target. I dont agree that Stig is a whinner though. He should and is responsible for the welfare of the entire team.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM.

Comment

SLU was celebrating a lot throughout the game (that seems to be their most outstanding football skill)... but like you I didn't see much after the Rollins hit. Maybe somebody off-camera was whooping it up.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

From what I saw on camera, I didn't see anything excessive by the player after the hit. He was displaying excitement over a big hit (which didn't look dirty from that angle), which is common place in the emotional game of football.

That being said, I don't know what happened off-camera or what the player was saying during his celebration (taunting?).

All I care is that Aaron is doing well.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Based on the descriptions provided by Coach Stig it sounds like he suffered a pulmonary contusion i.e. bruising of the lungs. As you all know the lungs are made up primarily of thin structural material supporting capillaries (blood vessels) and air filled sacs (alveoli). When you breath in they fill with air and oxygen enters oxygen deprived blood by osmosis while carbon dioxide exits the blood and his exhaled.

When the chest is struck with a great deal of force the thin walled blood vessels can rupture releasing blood into the air sacs and causing the patient to cough up blood. The tissue is also saturated with blood and becomes bruised. When the air sacs and tissue are bruised or filled with blood they don't exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide as well. So, flying is not advised because the fraction of inspired oxygen at elevation is less than closer to sea level due to a decrease in the partial pressure.

He should recover fully and be able to return to the field in 3-4 weeks. He won't be anymore susceptible to the same injury than he was before. Really quite surprising that more football players don't get injured like this. I see it quite often but its usually as a consequence of motor vehicle accidents.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Based on the descriptions provided by Coach Stig it sounds like he suffered a pulmonary contusion i.e. bruising of the lungs. As you all know the lungs are made up primarily of thin structural material supporting capillaries (blood vessels) and air filled sacs (alveoli). When you breath in they fill with air and oxygen enters oxygen deprived blood by osmosis while carbon dioxide exits the blood and his exhaled.

When the chest is struck with a great deal of force the thin walled blood vessels can rupture releasing blood into the air sacs and causing the patient to cough up blood. The tissue is also saturated with blood and becomes bruised. When the air sacs and tissue are bruised or filled with blood they don't exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide as well. So, flying is not advised because the fraction of inspired oxygen at elevation is less than closer to sea level due to a decrease in the partial pressure.

He should recover fully and be able to return to the field in 3-4 weeks. He won't be anymore susceptible to the same injury than he was before. Really quite surprising that more football players don't get injured like this. I see it quite often but its usually as a consequence of motor vehicle accidents.
                Understood. I thought it was the change in pressure with a space made in the pleura related to the bruise (Boyle's Law) than compared to just the partial pressure. Normal FiO2 is 0.21 or -----> 760-47= 713 713 x 0.21 = 149 mmHg. What is the partial pressure in a plane?
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Really quite surprising that more football players don't get injured like this.
                  I feel that way about football injuries anyway. you see a play where a guy breaks a leg, blows out a knee and really very little contact or any obvious reason for injuries, but you see a guy get lit up and he hops up like nothing happened. Its a strange game for sure.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Thanks as usually a very careful and understandable explanation.

Comment

Understood. I thought it was the change in pressure with a space made in the pleura related to the bruise (Boyle's Law) than compared to just the partial pressure. Normal FiO2 is 0.21 or -----> 760-47= 713 713 x 0.21 = 149 mmHg. What is the partial pressure in a plane?
                      You are correct, explaining Boyle's Law on a sports related forum, even one with an intelligent mix like this one, can get boring in a hurry. As you state the fraction of inspired oxygen at see level in approximately 21%. It decrease at elevation. Airplane cabins are pressurized to reduce the degree of drop in FiO2. Patients with acute and chronic lung disease are still negatively impacted, add in the p1V1=p2V2 affect of increased pleural pressure and decreased tissue compliance affecting tidal volume and causing hypoventilation and you can have a serious issue in a "confined environment" at 30,000 feet.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

You are correct, explaining Boyle's Law on a sports related forum, even one with an intelligent mix like this one, can get boring in a hurry. As you state the fraction of inspired oxygen at see level in approximately 21%. It decrease at elevation. Airplane cabins are pressurized to reduce the degree of drop in FiO2. Patients with acute and chronic lung disease are still negatively impacted, add in the p1V1=p2V2 affect of increased pleural pressure and decreased tissue compliance affecting tidal volume and causing hypoventilation and you can have a serious issue in a "confined environment" at 30,000 feet.
                        Yeah sorry. Either way I hope he can make it back before 4 weeks.

Stig mentioned that he'd have to fly to Illinios State according to Nidaros above. Nidaros, did you mean Indiana State? That would be great because that means he'll only miss one week against UC-Davis.

Comment

Stig mentioned that he'd have to fly to Illinios State according to Nidaros above. Nidaros, did you mean Indiana State? That would be great because that means he'll only miss one week against UC-Davis.
                          No need to apologize at all. Boyle and his law are very close to my heart and everyone's lungs. I use it every day when evaluating patients with shortness of breath. I was just in looking at a plethysmography box when you posted your reply.

I wish Aaron a speedy recovery and a safe remainder of the season.

Comment

Holy cow, my head hurts. Now I remember why I hated all of the pre-med majors at State. They ruined the curve in my science classes. I hope Aaron makes a full recovery and is able to get back on the field at some point. Go Jacks!
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Yes it had to be Indiana State, this is our bye season for Illinios State, I just looked at the schedule. Stig said they would drive him out there since Rollin is a senior. Sorry my bad. The big issue that he can not fly for a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X