Trouble up in Bison Land Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble up in Bison Land Again

KFGO out of Fargo is reporting that a number of Bison players, including their starting RB ,Ojuri, and star CB, Williams, have been involved in petition fraud for the legalization of medical marijuana. This was announced by the North Dakota AG and removed the measure from the ballot this fall. It seems as though the players were getting paid to obtain signatures for the ballot. Someone with a legal background will know more than I do with this. Either way, it's embarrassing for NDSU considering what they were getting signatures for (even though I don't really care if someone wants to smoke marijuana).

It's a class A misdemeanor and there are 7 current players involved and 1 former player. There are 11 people being charged, with 8 of them being NDSU football players.

Link via Mike McFeely's twitter account: https://twitter.com/mikemcfeelykfgo/...12848408731648

Link for announcement from AG: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/2-ND-initiatives-rejected-petition-fraud-alleged-3838141.php

Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Re: Trouble up in Bison Land Again

Athletes in trouble for voter fraud,that's a new one. Only could happen at NDSU....

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
      Athletes in trouble for voter fraud,that's a new one. Only could happen at NDSU....
      That's what I thought too. Something always happens up there.

The players being charged were taking names from phone books, cell phones, or just making up names and putting them on the list.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Knowing how contentious it was, I'm surprised it didn't have something to do with the UND Nickname vote.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Bohl says there will be no decision on discipline until the players have "had their day in court." He says the nature of the charge was not violent or drug-related... so for now the players are in good standing as far as the team. He just keeps repeating that "day in court" line over and over. It's his new "whale of a game" line. So I guess that at some point in the future, the players will have a "whale of a day in court."
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

No players will be suspended until they have gone through the entire legal process. All will play this Saturday at Colorado State. Bohl's (and Gene Taylor's) reasoning was that it didn't have anything to do with violence and/or drugs and it seemed better to wait it out.

No date set for court hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              Bohl says there will be no decision on discipline until the players have "had their day in court." He says the nature of the charge was not violent or drug-related... so for now the players are in good standing as far as the team. He just keeps repeating that "day in court" line over and over. Can't be very fun to be Coach Bohl today.
              He seems more annoyed by the entire thing than actually mad.

Comment

Simple rules for athletes:

1. Use your common sense.
                2. If in doubt (or you have no common sense), don't do things when one or more of your buddies is/are snickering like Beavis or Butthead.

The allegation is they took names from phonebooks etc. and filled them in on petitions to put a measure (the subject is irrelevant but in this case the measure is an effort to legalize medical marijuana) up for a state-wide vote. If true, it shows some real bone-head thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  No players will be suspended until they have gone through the entire legal process. All will play this Saturday at Colorado State. Bohl's (and Gene Taylor's) reasoning was that it didn't have anything to do with violence and/or drugs and it seemed better to wait it out.

No date set for court hearing.
                  What are the odds that the court dates will be set for shortly after football season is over ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    What are the odds that the court dates will be set for shortly after football season is over ?
                    Real good like about the 15th of January 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      I'm hoping for Nov 5th

Comment

I just shot a look at Bisonville to see about this. Talk about complete and total meltdown. Some are grabbing torches and pitchforks to take down other NDSU fans and there are still others who are claiming a "conspiracy" because the AG is a grad of UND. Just amazing.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          I just shot a look at Bisonville to see about this. Talk about complete and total meltdown. Some are grabbing torches and pitchforks to take down other NDSU fans and there are still others who are claiming a "conspiracy" because the AG is a grad of UND. Just amazing.
                          The consipiracy theories make me laught. SDbison and gabe are one the worst offenders of them. Yeah, UND is out to get them. Sure, buddy. I like how others try to pass it off as no big deal. I don't care if it wasn't assault charges or drug/alcohol abuse, I would be pissed if this was a serious issue I wanted a vote on. Now something I and/or others may have have spent time and money on to set up a vote is now taken away because someone forged hundreds or thousands of signatures on.

Comment

I'm just surprised folks that age know what a phone book is, much less how to use one!
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Simple rules for athletes:

1. Use your common sense.
                              2. If in doubt (or you have no common sense), don't do things when one or more of your buddies is/are snickering like Beavis or Butthead.
                              The allegation is they took names from phonebooks etc. and filled them in on petitions to put a measure (the subject is irrelevant but in this case the measure is an effort to legalize medical marijuana) up for a state-wide vote. If true, it shows some real bone-head thinking.
                              Is it just me, or are the athletes at NDSU getting more creative in finding ways to get in trouble? Voter fraud,c'mon,they should know that's taken very seriously,especially during a presidential election year.Oops...voter petition fraud,less serious,but still criminal.

Comment

Working...
                              X