Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings From the Bayou! Hurricane Isaac Is Gone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings From the Bayou! Hurricane Isaac Is Gone!

Southeastern Louisiana fan here, dropping in to say hello ... looking forward to hosting the Jackrabbits this Saturday!

Thankfully Hurricane Isaac is long gone and things are beginning to return to normal in the Hammond area ... we were without power for several days but most of the city and surrounding communities are back up and running as of this weekend ... we have some outlying communities along the Tangipahoa River who are dealing with flooding issues, but nothing that should affect the game on Saturday ... hopefully many of you are planning on making the trip! Rabid Rabbit has made a couple of appearances at Strawberry Stadium over the last several years and I look forward to meeting more of you this weekend.

Below is a link to our message board if any of you care to stop by over the next several days leading up to the game ... you'll need to register (free) to browse or post:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/southeastern/start

And here are some highlights from our game with Missouri this weekend ... we took it on the chin as you could imagine, but I don't think the score was indicative of how we competed, especially in the first half ... they scored 35 points off turnovers and punt returns:

Re: Greetings From the Bayou! Hurricane Isaac Is Gone!

Welcome royallion05

Looks like Missouri has more talent than Kansas, although I did not see the Kansas-SDSU game. Missouri seem to show more speed on some of the plays on the video. Your team made some very good plays. I dont think this game is in the bag for the Jacks by any means. I will not be making the trip down, but depend on the radio for another week.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-03-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Welcome royallion05

Looks like Missouri has more talent than Kansas, although I did see the Kansas-SDSU game. Missouri seem to show more speed on some of the plays on the video. Your team made some very good plays. I dont think this game is in the bag for the Jacks by any means. I will not be making the trip down, but depend on the radio for another week.
      Can't speak for Kansas having not seen them yet, but IMO, Missouri was the fastest, most physically impressive BCS/FBS opponent we've played, especially at the skill positions, and that includes 5th ranked Ole Miss in 2009, Kansas 2007 (12-1, Orange Bowl team), Texas Tech 2006 and Mississippi State 2008 ... remains to be seen how their style of play will translate to the SEC, and whether they can get up week after week, but athletically speaking, they're a good fit.

I' don't usually make predictions, and won't this week, other than to say I expect to see a big, physical South Dakota State football team in Strawberry Stadium on Saturday ... should be a very good football game!!

Comment

Originally posted by royallion05 View Post
        Can't speak for Kansas having not seen them yet, but IMO, Missouri was the fastest, most physically impressive BCS/FBS opponent we've played, especially at the skill positions, and that includes 5th ranked Ole Miss in 2009, Kansas 2007 (12-1, Orange Bowl team), Texas Tech 2006 and Mississippi State 2008 ... remains to be seen how their style of play will translate to the SEC, and whether they can get up week after week, but athletically speaking, they're a good fit.

I' don't usually make predictions, and won't this week, other than to say I expect to see a big, physical South Dakota State football team in Strawberry Stadium on Saturday ... should be a very good football game!!
        Thanks for coming to the site. I won't be making the trip either as I just got back from a long vacation, but I'm looking forward to watching this game. State's defense looks a little better this year (based on a small sample size) and the offense should do well with Sumner back behind center.

Is there a place online we can watch this? I saw this on one of your websites and was wondering if it was streamed for free?

http://www2.selu.edu/thesoutheasternchannel/live/

Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          Thanks for coming to the site. I won't be making the trip either as I just got back from a long vacation, but I'm looking forward to watching this game. State's defense looks a little better this year (based on a small sample size) and the offense should do well with Sumner back behind center.

Is there a place online we can watch this? I saw this on one of your websites and was wondering if it was streamed for free?

http://www2.selu.edu/thesoutheasternchannel/live/

Just got word the game will be streamed live for free on the Southeastern Channel website.

Comment

Originally posted by royallion05 View Post
            Just got word the game will be streamed live for free on the Southeastern Channel website.
            That's what I thought. Thanks a ton and I'm looking forward to the game.

Who are the playmakers to watch on your team?
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Judging from that video, KU is very lucky that Missouri moved to the SEC. Looks like Southeastern has some speedy guys.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I am planning on making the trip over from Florida to this game. Very excited!

Comment

This Bayou based Rabbit is REALLY LOOKING FORWARD to seeing the Jacks live! Isaac's damaged alot of areas down here, but every thing should be set for some good football come Saturday in Hammond.

SELA Strawberry Field is a nice stadium, and I like what they did tying in a Parking garage to the stands. 8-10K capacity, it reminds me of CAS prior to the trees being cut down, and a much nicer visitor/band side.

Comment

We have a nice group of Jackrabbits coming down for the game. The SDSU Alumni Association has organized a tailgate in Hammond, LA. Complete with VooDoo BBQ!

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=13&calcid=685

Go State!

Comment

Thanks for stopping by, Lion. Looks like it could be a battle of teams that have a lot of work to do with their special teams units. I know we do. Glad to hear that y'all were largely spared by Issac. Sorry I won't make it down to explore your corner of the world. Curious to see how everything will go on Saturday and, of course, hoping for the best for the Jacks. Good luck...to an extent.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Glad to hear you guys have a nice group coming down! Looks like we should have nice weather by game time though depending on which forecast you believe, could either be a 40% chance for rain earlier in the day, or clearing out by Friday night.

Our campus is great for tailgating, with everything situated in the center of campus (Friendship Circle), with Strawberry Stadium right there. Visitor's tailgate area is usually the southeast corner of campus which is a bit isolated ... if you get the feeling there's no one on campus, just walk to your northwest and you'll find Lions fans! Glad you'll get a chance to sample some Voodoo BBQ ... you may wanna see if you can get some jambalaya or gumbo catered in as well ... might as well try it while you're here!

Here's a video from one of our homecoming tailgates ... we won't have as many folks tailgating for this game with LSU being home at the same time but gives you some idea of the setup and atmosphere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD2pJGprjCY

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                        We have a nice group of Jackrabbits coming down for the game. The SDSU Alumni Association has organized a tailgate in Hammond, LA. Complete with VooDoo BBQ!

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=13&calcid=685

Go State!

Comment

Tough to judge special teams play when you're playing BCS level opponents ... they're usually loaded with 2,3 and 4 star scholarship players who are backups and on special teams, while we're mixing in tired starters and a bunch of walk-ons. I think we'll both get a better idea where we are on Saturday.

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                          Thanks for stopping by, Lion. Looks like it could be a battle of teams that have a lot of work to do with their special teams units. I know we do. Glad to hear that y'all were largely spared by Issac. Sorry I won't make it down to explore your corner of the world. Curious to see how everything will go on Saturday and, of course, hoping for the best for the Jacks. Good luck...to an extent.

Comment

Tough to say right now with having to replace so many skill players, but QB Nathan Stanley played well on Saturday at Mizzou and I look for him to have a big year ... he transferred in from Ole Miss during summer of 2011 but didn't fit the offense under the old regime ... he's really flourished since the coaching change and beat our incumbent starter this spring ... our WR corps is very young but talented and we're still waiting to see who will emerge ... true freshman, Jeff Smiley, had a nice game vs Missouri, as did Stanley Moore and Tony McCrea but we also had several drops in the rain ... I expect they'll continue to improve throughout the season. We're banged up at running back, but have two big, strong seniors in Zeke Jones and Michael Chaney ... Zeke is about 230-235 and ran hard this weekend, but has been injury prone throughout career ... Chaney is 210-215 and more of a combo back though both catch the football well.

On defense, our corners are very good ... Robert Alford is an NFL prospect and on the Senior Bowl Watch List and the opposite corner, Todd Washington, will likely get looks next year ... senior OLB, Devan Walker, is also getting NFL looks and LB Qulin Hubert started six games for Texas Tech last year ... Safety Mo Sutton had 10 tackles vs Mizzou and Free Safety Tyler Stoddard was a freshman All-American last year.

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post

Who are the playmakers to watch on your team?

Comment

I understand your new coach was formally at Delta State, thats the alma mater of our basketball coach Scott Nagy. In fact Nagy is in the hall of fame at Delta State. I watched a video on Roberts and he seems to be a winner when it comes to coaches. He was really successful at Delta State. Delta has a NC D2 under Roberts so he has been there and knows the feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X