UNI AD hints fbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI AD hints fbs?

Check out a tweet from UNI AD Troy Dannen. Weird that he would even comment.

LJ has a point……say tuned..RT @i_Serve24: #UNI needs to go D1 already, give us those extra 20 scholarships and watch what we do with it! -- Troy A Dannen (@TroyDannenUNIAD)

Seems like legit account.

Says d1 not fbs, so maybe playing with guy who tweeted him too.

Re: UNI AD hints fbs?

Don't know if a Tweet means much. But UNI did hang in there with a pretty tough FBS team.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

And every other year something comes up about how bad they are financially.

Comment

didn't they just drop baseball?

Comment

Yes they did but I vague recall that state legislature aid was decreased and that forced them to drop baseball. I think they have had a rough time financially since leaving the NCC in 1977 or 78.

I recall one SDSU Alum maybe 2 years ahead of me at BHS, spent much of his working career in the Waterloo-Cedar fall area, and was very vocal through the letters to the editor especially the Brookings Register,about SDSU going D1. He cited UNI many times in what he believed to be a mistake, that is ,going D1. To his credit Justin Sell appeared to kept them in the black when they built the new basketball facility. No doubt we hired the right guy to suceed Fred. Justin seems a little more brave than Fred but is very careful about where he is going. My good friend Fred seemed to be knowledgeable about D1, but never got the chance to experience D1 until we started the climb in 2005.

Raising money for 22 more scholarships does seem like a big deal, but the attendence requirements and so forth might still stand in their way to go FBS. This is not an easy decision and to base it on losing a close game to Wisconsin, seems kind of shallow.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 09-08-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Looks like both Farley and Dannen in favor of moving up.

http://m.wcfcourier.com/mobile-touch...3d277f42d.html

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Yes they did but I vague recall that state legislature aid was decreased and that forced them to drop baseball. I think they have had a rough time financially since leaving the NCC in 1977 or 78.

I recall one SDSU Alum maybe 2 years ahead of me at BHS, spent much of his working career in the Waterloo-Cedar fall area, and was very vocal through the letters to the editor especially the Brookings Register,about SDSU going D1. He cited UNI many times in what he believed to be a mistake, that is ,going D1. To his credit Justin Sell appeared to kept them in the black when they built the new basketball facility. No doubt we hired the right guy to suceed Fred. Justin seems a little more brave than Fred but is very careful about where he is going. My good friend Fred seemed to be knowledgeable about D1, but never got the chance to experience D1 until we started the climb in 2005.

Raising money for 22 more scholarships does seem like a big deal, but the attendence requirements and so forth might still stand in their way to go FBS. This is not an easy decision and to base it on losing a close game to Wisconsin, seems kind of shallow.
              Thanks slosho for the rep pts also I made two corrections to the about post, namely the name of our AD. Its wierd but I keep thinking his name is Jason for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

Isn't it conceivable they would have to add 44 scholarships?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                  Yes to be title IX compliant they would, and it would be no surprise to me to see Equestian sport added.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                    Ya Title IX was created with good intentions but failed. It needs to be revised ASAP. It will be the death of college wrestling.
                    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                      Ya Title IX was created with good intentions but failed. It needs to be revised ASAP. It will be the death of college wrestling.
                      It failed???

Give me a ****ing break. You can say that it isn't perfect, because it's not. But to say that it "failed" is simply not true. Without Title IX do you think that we would have the amazing women's sports that we do at SDSU? Without Title IX would many of those women that competed for the USA in the Olympics this summer have gotten a start in sports?

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/22/155529815/40-years-on-title-ix-still-shapes-female-athletes

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2012/0623/40-years-later-Title-IX-is-still-fighting-perception-it-hurt-men-s-sports

Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                        You're wrong.

What is it with you, witness? Are you the self-appointed, home-grown internet troll?

Added: Witness--ever think about the examples of where men's programs expanded due to Title IX? Do a little research. Start with Western Kentucky's move to FBS from FCS in football...had to find a place to add men's scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          You're wrong.What is it with you, witness? Are you the self-appointed, home-grown internet troll?Added: Witness--ever think about the examples of where men's programs expanded due to Title IX? Do a little research. Start with Western Kentucky's move to FBS from FCS in football...had to find a place to add men's scholarships.
                          Haha. Where have I trolled at all?? I only have two problems, fans not being close to the floor in basketball and Title IX. Where did I say to get rid of Title IX?? I said it failed and think it needs to be revised. Maybe, # of sports instead of scholarships. Like I said Title IX was created with good intentions and where did I say I wanted to get rid of women's sports? I guess it just bugs me it will be the death of wrestling. And sure it has helped some men's programs here and there, but for the majority it has hurt wrestling.

Also, read up on WKU case, very successful FCS program and they have rough years at the start but last year they started competing and had an above .500 record. No wrestling program was one of the reasons they needed more scholarships.
                          Last edited by witness; 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            It failed???Give me a ****ing break. You can say that it isn't perfect, because it's not. But to say that it "failed" is simply not true. Without Title IX do you think that we would have the amazing women's sports that we do at SDSU? Without Title IX would many of those women that competed for the USA in the Olympics this summer have gotten a start in sports? http://www.npr.org/2012/06/22/155529815/40-years-on-title-ix-still-shapes-female-athleteshttp://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educati...t-men-s-sports
                            Hah. Maybe I should have used Title IX has ran its course, or needs to be revised. Without Title IX, there would be womens sports today anyways. I have read many wrestling boards on wrestling programs closing because of Title IX.

Comment

What impact would UNI going FBS have on their status in the Missouri Valley?

The MAC is the only football only FBS conference that I can think of that would be a conceivable fit.

Would be awesome to see UNI leave the Missouri Valley, opening the door for a potential invite to the xDSU's.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                              X