Two Deep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Deep

Usually there's something released by now. Anyone know who the projected starters are?
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Re: Two Deep

TV's latest Camp Chronicle says they'll start preparing for Kansas midweek, so one would think there should be a pretty good idea who is 1st and 2nd stringers by then.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

for some reason I always like seein the 2 deep chart just to know who is challenging who, and who is moving up the ladder.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

This is what the media guide has:

https://twitter.com/jackrabbitden/st.../photo/1/large

But it's not accurate. It still lists Kool as RB and not WR and RB Winterboer is listed even though he isn't on the team anymore.

Comment

My guess is that the depth chart is fairly accurate. Just remove Winterboer at RB and put in his place FR Kyle Parris. Then plug in Kool as starting as the X-Back WR.

The only unusual things I noticed on the 2-deep were:

There is no mention of sophomore DE/DT Auston LaBlance. LaBlance was a prized recruit coming in, missed last season because of a shoulder injury and switched from DE to DT in spring. He is on the roster at GoJacks.com and they are showing this year's photo so he is still with the team but they are listing true freshman ahead of him on the depth chart. I'm guessing it was probably an oversight.

The other thing that surprised me was that both Joe Martinson and Jake Gentile had their redshirts pulled last season so it's interesting to see that they are behind a couple redshirt freshman on the depth chart. (Martinson is behind Jimmie Forsythe at CB and Gentile is behind Mark Pickerel at FS)

I really like this team and think that they are going to surprise some people. My biggest concern is the kicking game and whether or not the O-Line can meet up to expectation.

Comment

I guess I worry the line on both sides of the ball. I think the offense has play makers and ability to put points on the board, and the D has some solid guys and line backers to control some. But the lines are key. Both lines need to stay healthy all year. the kicking game has been a concern I think since Parker graduated. I am not worried about the punting game as much because we have usually done a great job at producing good punters.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

If the media guide is accurate for linebacker, I'm a little surprised at the Mike position.
              1. Robbie Jelsma 6'3" 240 lbs. sophomore
              2. T.J. Lally 6'0" 220, R-Fr
              3. Matt Romano 6'3" 215, Fr

That is a young group, with little time on the field outside of special teams. Outside of Jelsma, they are not overly big either. This position is going to be very important for directing traffic and controlling the middle against the run. If these guys develop, we will be set in the middle for years to come. However, I do worry a little bit about stopping the run early in the season. Kansas returns James Sims who has rushed for nearly 1,500 yards during his freshman and sophomore seasons. While Southeastern LA has not been known for their running game, they do return 2 seniors and a junior who all shared the bulk of their carries. In addition, they have a sophomore who has been named to two preseason All-American teams as a returner. RB is his natural position. Don't know much about Cal-Davis, but Shakir Bell will then be featured against us in our 4th game of the season.

Comment

any way to check it so far with out using the link through twitter? I am at work and can not open it.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                  If the media guide is accurate for linebacker, I'm a little surprised at the Mike position.
                  1. Robbie Jelsma 6'3" 240 lbs. sophomore
                  2. T.J. Lally 6'0" 220, R-Fr
                  3. Matt Romano 6'3" 215, Fr

That is a young group, with little time on the field outside of special teams. Outside of Jelsma, they are not overly big either. This position is going to be very important for directing traffic and controlling the middle against the run. If these guys develop, we will be set in the middle for years to come. However, I do worry a little bit about stopping the run early in the season. Kansas returns James Sims who has rushed for nearly 1,500 yards during his freshman and sophomore seasons. While Southeastern LA has not been known for their running game, they do return 2 seniors and a junior who all shared the bulk of their carries. In addition, they have a sophomore who has been named to two preseason All-American teams as a returner. RB is his natural position. Don't know much about Cal-Davis, but Shakir Bell will then be featured against us in our 4th game of the season.
                  I was a little surprised that Chris Tracy wasn't listed as the started at MLB. I know he's played there before and has the size. And than R.C. Kilgore would start at OLB.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                    If the media guide is accurate for linebacker, I'm a little surprised at the Mike position. 1. Robbie Jelsma 6'3" 240 lbs. sophomore 2. T.J. Lally 6'0" 220, R-Fr 3. Matt Romano 6'3" 215, FrThat is a young group, with little time on the field outside of special teams. Outside of Jelsma, they are not overly big either. This position is going to be very important for directing traffic and controlling the middle against the run. If these guys develop, we will be set in the middle for years to come. However, I do worry a little bit about stopping the run early in the season. Kansas returns James Sims who has rushed for nearly 1,500 yards during his freshman and sophomore seasons. While Southeastern LA has not been known for their running game, they do return 2 seniors and a junior who all shared the bulk of their carries. In addition, they have a sophomore who has been named to two preseason All-American teams as a returner. RB is his natural position. Don't know much about Cal-Davis, but Shakir Bell will then be featured against us in our 4th game of the season.
                    Sims is out the first 3 games for KU due to suspension. The guy taking over at RB is Tony Pierson who is probably going to be better than Sims. He's a burner. KU will try to run over us so we better be prepared to stop the run much better than last year.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Question for you guys - With Fick hurt - what does this do to the O-line depth chart? There is an abundance of good guards, but not so much at back up tackle in my opinion. Are they moving the Sophomores up? Or will they move one of the guards, perhaps Kage, to tackle and plug in either Seuse or Oly? Just curious what you think. I also am curious what people are observing at practice to cover Ficks loss. I know Parker has been banged up also, maybe Seuse is staying behind him? Does anyone have any ideas? Or do you think Fick will be back and the chart will stay the same? thanks.

Comment

I am hearing Fick go have his knee scoped --- soon! Today? Expecting to miss 3 to 4 games? Thats good for the Jacks.

GBGBGJ

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                        Question for you guys - With Fick hurt - what does this do to the O-line depth chart? There is an abundance of good guards, but not so much at back up tackle in my opinion. Are they moving the Sophomores up? Or will they move one of the guards, perhaps Kage, to tackle and plug in either Seuse or Oly? Just curious what you think. I also am curious what people are observing at practice to cover Ficks loss. I know Parker has been banged up also, maybe Seuse is staying behind him? Does anyone have any ideas? Or do you think Fick will be back and the chart will stay the same? thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                          I think they would start SO Trevor Gregor. I don't think there is a whole lot of drop-off between him and Fick. He started 3 games last year as a redshirt freshman.

The other option would be to slide Kage over to tackle and plug in Suess or Olinger at guard like you suggested. Fortunately, there is some decent experience on the O-Line with backups Gregor, Olinger, Suess, & Purcell all starting games before.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                            I think they would start SO Trevor Gregor.
                            This. I caught a few plays of the scrimmage last weekend and I'm pretty sure Gregor was playing at tackle with the ones.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205667997

This looks to be an updated depth chart

Comment

Working...
                              X