USD's declining Campus Enrollment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD's declining Campus Enrollment

I started this here because I'm sure it will end up having smack as part of the discussion. I have argued for a couple of years now that USD's campus has been declining in enrollment while their part time enrollment in Sioux Falls and online gets spun to make it look like they were growing. Finally, the BOR has released a report that shows a true enrollment analysis.

USD's on campus enrollment had dropped from 6,230 in 2007 down to 6,029 last year. You can check out the report here on page 4: http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/items/2012/13.pdf. Their off campus degree seeking and off campus non degree seeking is where all of their growth has occured. Meanwhile SDSU has seen growth in on campus enrollment of over 500 students.

This is an important report. Students who attend classes on campus are more connected, the come to the campus regularly, and they go to athletic games for free. A 3 credit online student doesn't join a club on campus, eat in the union, or socially engage in a way that makes them want to come back for games or Hobo Day/D-Day etc. Engaged students make for engaged alumni.

The report also highlights an almost 4,000 student gap in on campus enrollment between SDSU and USD with a rounded 10,000 versus 6,000. For example, if 20% of students come to football games that is 2,000 students at SDSU football games and 1,200 at USD games. No wonder the USD fan board talks about lack of student attendance. They are setting their student attendance expectations based on a school of 10,000 students when 40% of their reported enrollment doesn't even come to campus for class let alone games.

Re: USD's declining Campus Enrollment

Interesting. Maybe this explains announced attendance at USD athletic events. Forty percent of the spectators are just somewhere else.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Comment

I suppose you youngsters who know nothing about Laugh-In, won't get the above picture.

Comment

I've saved the report on my computer and intend to read it in detail but a quick scan of it did not show a breakdown between undergraduates and graduate students but I believe the gross numbers include both undergrads and graduate students. I wonder how certain graduate students are counted. For example, are the fifth-year Pharmacy students counted as full-time on-campus? They should be. They are all required to attend their fifth year in Sioux Falls. They have a four-year bachelor's degree. Similar question about USD's third-year Medical students. I think they are not on the Vermillion campus but they certainly are full-time students and on the campus required by the school.

All in all, a great improvement to manner in which the information is reported. The new analysis is much more meaningful than the old reporting. Those numbers should make some schools pause and reconsider building plans.

Comment

And the picture two posts above is Arte Johnson from the old Rowen and Martin's "Laugh In" television show. Every so often following a comedy skit, the camera would turn to Johnson, dressed as a WWII German soldier, and he'd said in a suspicious voice with a bad German accent, "very interesting".

Comment

I wonder what the USD visitors to this board have to say about the new enrollment reporting method.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                And the picture two posts above is Arte Johnson from the old Rowen and Martin's "Laugh In" television show. Every so often following a comedy skit, the camera would turn to Johnson, dressed as a WWII German soldier, and he'd said in a suspicious voice with a bad German accent, "very interesting".
                I remember and this is an appropriate post.

Comment

I wonder what the USD visitors to this board have to say about the new enrollment reporting method.
                  Not sure what you are looking for but all I have to say I sit is what it is. If that is accurate, and I am assuming it is, then the numbers speak for themselves. Doesn't change one thing on 11/17 which this board is all about. You have more students, you should have more butts in the seats at all events.My biggest complaint with us right now is that it is pretty apparent that we can't the fan base excited about (pardon the pun) JACK SQUAT. We have an opportunity to build a new arena and update the Dome yet is seems like no one gives a crap. Thank God our teams outperform the fan base on an annual basis.

Comment

"Verrrry interesting....."

Comment

Back to the thread, I believe SDSU does a fair amount of online degree-granting, or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        Not sure what you are looking for but all I have to say I sit is what it is. If that is accurate, and I am assuming it is, then the numbers speak for themselves. Doesn't change one thing on 11/17 which this board is all about. You have more students, you should have more butts in the seats at all events.My biggest complaint with us right now is that it is pretty apparent that we can't the fan base excited about (pardon the pun) JACK SQUAT. We have an opportunity to build a new arena and update the Dome yet is seems like no one gives a crap. Thank God our teams outperform the fan base on an annual basis.
                        Think about this for a minute yoteforever. You wonder why USD fans don't care, or why they don't show more enthusiasm. I consider myself a great Coyote Fan when it comes to my interest and participation level as a fan with USD athletics. Adminedly I have strong views and sometimes differening views than other fans but there are several posters on the site that would rather run me off the board than listen to those differing views. I am/was basically run off the Coyote board for voicing my opinions. One specific opinion that many (definately including yourself) shared was being against my view of having the opinion after the last couple of years that USD needed to go in a new direction at football head coach. The fact that Meierkort now coaches high school football kind of backs my argument and/or opinion. He was in over his head as a D1 coach. Maybe if the USD community would accept all kinds of fans and not just the ones that share the majority view they would truley grow their fan base. Look at the outrage with just the idea of moving one football game to Sioux Falls, even if the result would be a boatload of money being put towards USD athletics.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                          Think about this for a minute yoteforever. You wonder why USD fans don't care, or why they don't show more enthusiasm. I consider myself a great Coyote Fan when it comes to my interest and participation level as a fan with USD athletics. Adminedly I have strong views and sometimes differening views than other fans but there are several posters on the site that would rather run me off the board than listen to those differing views. I am/was basically run off the Coyote board for voicing my opinions. One specific opinion that many (definately including yourself) shared was being against my view of having the opinion after the last couple of years that USD needed to go in a new direction at football head coach. The fact that Meierkort now coaches high school football kind of backs my argument and/or opinion. He was in over his head as a D1 coach. Maybe if the USD community would accept all kinds of fans and not just the ones that share the majority view they would truley grow their fan base. Look at the outrage with just the idea of moving one football game to Sioux Falls, even if the result would be a boatload of money being put towards USD athletics.
                          I am not debating you on this board in front of Jacks fans. Please do me and several others on both boards a big favor and spell TRUELY correct. It is TRULY. Go to www.urbandictionary.com to confirm. You'll understand
                          Last edited by yoteforever; 08-11-2012, 05:11 PM. Reason: Missed a word

Comment

For being as big of a Coyote supporter as you say you are you sure spend alot of time on the Jacks board. No traffic on the Yote board, not a big surprise. People like their peace and quiet over there. So you really want to turn this into a spelling contest, do ya. You are one of the biggest reasons I have stopped posting over there.
                            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                              For being as big of a Coyote supporter as you say you are you sure spend alot of time on the Jacks board. No traffic on the Yote board, not a big surprise. People like their peace and quiet over there.
                              I do because at least these fans (as misguided as they are) participate and debate and smack. I love it. Our board does suck and is quiet. It is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X