2012 Missouri Valley Football Conference preseason poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Missouri Valley Football Conference preseason poll

John Papendick at the American News in Aberdeen has posted the Missouri Valley's preseason conference football media and SID poll:

http://aberdeensports.net/inthehuddl...th-usd-eighth/

No huge surprises in that NDSU is first and Northern Iowa second. The Jacks are sixth and USD eighth. Personally, I'll be awfully disappointed if we are in the bottom half of the conference. Here's the poll, but John's page also includes the preseason all-conference selections.

2012 Valley Football Preseason Poll
    Team (first-place votes) — Points
    1. North Dakota State (37) — 379
    2. Northern Iowa — 300
    3. Youngstown State — 291
    4. Illinois State (1) — 287
    5. Indiana State — 228
    6. South Dakota State — 182
    7. Southern Illinois — 167
    8. South Dakota — 97
    9. Western Illinois — 90
    10. Missouri State — 69

Thoughts?
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Re: 2012 Missouri Valley Football Conference preseason poll

With the first game one month away, a number of things could change this preseason poll.

Comment

If we can run the ball we will do better then that and perhaps make the playoffs. If our run game is like it was last year that looks about right.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        If we can run the ball we will do better then that and perhaps make the playoffs. If our run game is like it was last year that looks about right.
        Agree and will add that our defense needs to be much better on 3rd down, armchair QB certificate in hand. NDSU and UNI are essentially locks to make the playoffs. Would like to see at least 2 more MVFC teams in. USD, MSU, and WIU are highly unlikely to be one of those 2. Them remainder, including the Jackrabbits, have a very legitimate shot. Based on chatter YSU and Ill. St. appear to be the most likely to really surprise while Ind St., SDSU, and SIU have a lot of unanswered questions that will be better answered after the first 3 games.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Few things that caught my eye. That rogue 1st place vote to consensus 4th place when UNI did not even receive one. Wow, cant believe the drop in poll points from the top 4 to the rest of the league. Southern Illinois has fallen off as much as this poll indicates...?

I think SDSU is vehemently underrated IF their front seven can stop the run and pressure the QB. I think we all expect Sumner and friends to throw up points, its on the defense to make it so this Jackrabbit team does not relive the '99 Vikings and '11 Lions and have to outscore its competition in order to win games.

Comment

I just assume our defense is going to be better this year. Lots of returners from an inexperienced gang. I hope the offensive line and, as a result, the running game make the same jump. Very excited to see what Gandy can do. If he's clearly the man, I hope we don't shortchange him just because he's not experienced/an upperclassman. (Think Sumner and, in the case of a first-year player who wasn't a freshman or redshirt, Moss.)

Maybe loyalty is blinding me, but I sure think we're in the mix of the conference's second tier. NDSU and UNI as the favorites? Of course, sure. Makes perfect sense. I just hope we're not too far back.

Lots of love in the season previews for Youngstown State. Maybe it's just because we've had recent success against them (I know they had some very impressive outings last year), but I just don't think of them as conference contenders. Lots of returning firepower there, I guess.
            Last edited by JackFan96; 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM.
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Agreed. The defense holds the key and will determine whether whether we finish 3rd-5th or 6th-8th. I would be extremely surprised to see us end up either above or below those two brackets, but anything is possible.

Comment

Working...
              X