USD v SDSU Trophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD v SDSU Trophy?

A poll: Should there be a trophy for the USD v SDSU football game? We have one trophy game: the Dakota Marker with NDSU. Anyone interesting in a second trophy game? (I'm starting this thread in Smack because I know that's where it'll end up; but, any thoughts? If you vote "Yes", any suggestions for the trophy?)
    Yes
    47.06%
    No
    52.94%

The poll is expired.

Re: USD v SDSU Trophy?

I voted "no" just to be contrary.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'll vote "no" just because I don't think the game needs it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Dakota Marker was created because 1) SDSU and NDSU made the trip to D1 together and 2) those schools weren't traditional rivals and the trophy kind of helped make the game feel like bigger game than it was in the past.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I voted no as well.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
          Isn't there a trophy already? little bronze jug or something like that? But its kept more between the teams, not a run across the field and steal it type of trophy?
          You are correct. There exists a small jug that was a traveling trophy between the schools. At some point in time it became irrelevant (probably due to SDSU's domination).

We don't need a trophy game with USD.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Just voted....no.

Comment

YES!

Comment

Voted No, since there is a Little Brown Jug somewhere in the Ginn Trophy room that served that purpose. I think the trophy fell by the wayside, but reviving the tradition would create added interest.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                  Isn't there a trophy already? little bronze jug or something like that? But its kept more between the teams, not a run across the field and steal it type of trophy?
                  I believe there is such a trophy but has fallen by the wayside.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                    You are correct. There exists a small jug that was a traveling trophy between the schools. At some point in time it became irrelevant (probably due to SDSU's domination).

We don't need a trophy game with USD.
                    Did they award it in your playing days? Seems like it was a big deal in the mid to late 1950's. Also the Student body presidents bet their trousers on the game, which produced a few "ha ha's". Seems like the ladies elected to SA President probably did not take this to be funny, and it might have killed the tradition. I could be wrong. I clearing the cob webs of the recall section of my old and tattered mind.

Comment

When we played, the late 70's, there was no presentation or exchange of any sorts. I am not certain there ever was one, also not certain there wasn't. In our time, we would have had it almost the entire time, but truthfully don't remember seeing it anywhere. I could care less whether we restore a traveling trophy or not. Stick with your Dakota Marker thingy, and let it forever be a reminder you went together to D-1, because after all, they are your real rival now. USD is just another game, and we are so inferior that it is inevitable that you are going to give the Yotes a beat down anyway. Given the fact the game is in November, I doubt if the stadium will be half full anyway. USD stands no chance in winning.FWIW, I voted yes. I think The trophy should be an "EXCUSE BOOK" mounted on walnut, because that will be the reference for the fans of the squad that gets beat. ( I am sure that will be us, but I have a hunch we are still coming to Brookings anyway )

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        When we played, the late 70's, there was no presentation or exchange of any sorts. I am not certain there ever was one, also not certain there wasn't. In our time, we would have had it almost the entire time, but truthfully don't remember seeing it anywhere. I could care less whether we restore a traveling trophy or not. Stick with your Dakota Marker thingy, and let it forever be a reminder you went together to D-1, because after all, they are your real rival now. USD is just another game, and we are so inferior that it is inevitable that you are going to give the Yotes a beat down anyway. Given the fact the game is in November, I doubt if the stadium will be half full anyway. USD stands no chance in winning.FWIW, I voted yes. I think The trophy should be an "EXCUSE BOOK" mounted on walnut, because that will be the reference for the fans of the squad that gets beat. ( I am sure that will be us, but I have a hunch we are still coming to Brookings anyway )
                        Yes there once was a brown jug trophy, that did go to the winner of the game, but it might have been dwarfed in importance, by the Big Ten Trophy. My memories go back to 1953, and at that time there was trophy, probably the importance was dying out at that time. As stated before, the Student Body Presidents used to bet their pants on the game. This was going on up to 1965. The loser was often prepared wearing swiming trunks or some kind of non-underwear underneath, often with their school logo on them and they would moon the opponents in fun. Apparently that died out too, I don't know when.

Comment

I think it would be best if the teams focus on winning the Missouri Valley Conference title trophy followed by the NC trophy. If someone wants to promote something more for this game I'd be all for it but I don't think it should be the focus at all. Spending too much energy on a game that may be of limited significance seems counterproductive to me. That isn't a knock against USD or NDSU just my own belief that the best players want to play for teams that contend for championships not teams that win a "rivalry game". You can try to make it more than it is but in the end its a win or a loss, nothing more.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            I think it would be best if the teams focus on winning the Missouri Valley Conference title trophy followed by the NC trophy. If someone wants to promote something more for this game I'd be all for it but I don't think it should be the focus at all. Spending too much energy on a game that may be of limited significance seems counterproductive to me. That isn't a knock against USD or NDSU just my own belief that the best players want to play for teams that contend for championships not teams that win a "rivalry game". You can try to make it more than it is but in the end its a win or a loss, nothing more.
                            ++++++ Yup
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I'm in the no camp. I would have to think the sting that would be left after losing to those asshats would be enough. I can see USD wanting one as a show of their moral victory after beating us every one in ten years.

I'd just assume never see someone in red holding a trophy. Geez, just threw up a bit right there. May it never happen!

GB, GB, GJ! Pound the pups!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X