PDA

View Full Version : Fall Camp

rabbits64
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know when the team will be reporting? It has to be fairly soon with a 9/1/2012 opener.

SidelineObserver
07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Next weekend camp will open 8-4-2012

jackmd
08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Per TV on twitter:

"Redshirt junior RB Mason Winterboer, a Brookings High grad, quit the SDSU football team. Increases odds of a true frosh being the 4th RB."

scubasteve
08-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Too bad, I really liked the brand of football winterboer played...I'm sure he did it for a number of reasons. BUT, as a fan I always want to know why..was Gandy already ahead of him on the depth chart coming into Fall camp? If so, I can see why he would may have feel slighted, that may not be it at all... Just inquiring if anyone had knowledge or heard rumors...Gandy apparently is for real so I figured this was a practical and probable reason.

LakeJack
08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
I remember he came out of spring ball in 2011 and they talked about how hard he worked and that he would challenge in the fall for a starting spot and then he only carried the ball one time - for 15 yards and never got in again. I thought at the time it was funny since our running game was so bad last year. Why not give the kid a chance. Oh well. I hope we can run the ball this season or it could be a long year

RabbitObsessed
08-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Terry posted his Fall Camp Primer on his blog today. (http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/post/28827383756/fall-camp-primer)

Couple thoughts:

1) I really hope the coaching staff decides to give Zenner the majority of the reps and RB and if Gandy proves to be a better runner than Kool (or Zenner) then I hope he gets the playing time right away. None of this crap from last year where more talented players toil away on the bench.

2) Am I the only one that reads R.C. Kilgore's name and immediately thinks of Kurt Vonnegut?

Kemo
08-06-2012, 08:12 PM
2) Am I the only one that reads R.C. Kilgore's name and immediately thinks of Kurt Vonnegut?
This may very well be the case.

discoDancinJackrabbit
08-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Terry posted his Fall Camp Primer on his blog today. (http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/post/28827383756/fall-camp-primer)

Couple thoughts:

1) I really hope the coaching staff decides to give Zenner the majority of the reps and RB and if Gandy proves to be a better runner than Kool (or Zenner) then I hope he gets the playing time right away. None of this crap from last year where more talented players toil away on the bench.

fight club read it... I think more of J.R tolkien versus vonnegut though

RabbitObsessed
08-06-2012, 09:07 PM
fight club read it... I think more of J.R tolkien versus vonnegut though

Fight Club was Chuck Palahniuk, who is also pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilgore_Trout

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilgore_Trout)

jackmd
08-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Couple thoughts:

Zenner and Gandy are 1-2 coming into fall camp according to my sources. Kool will primarily be used at receiver. I'm operating under the assumption that Mason was told he wouldn't have a large role. Again only an assumption.

RabbitObsessed
08-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Zenner and Gandy are 1-2 coming into fall camp according to my sources. Kool will primarily be used at receiver.

This, I like.

KUlawJack
08-06-2012, 10:03 PM
This, I like.Yep, Kool is back at wideout.

jackmd
08-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Yep, Kool is back at wideout.

Tyrel tweeted confirmation of this late last night. I believe this is a good thing as well.

Kemo
08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Happy to hear Kool is moving back to receiver, as I feel his skill set is better suited for that position. If he can shake off the rust and pick up where he left off 2 seasons ago, we might have one heck of a passing attack.

jacksfaninne
08-07-2012, 12:01 PM
I had heard this move was coming. Also had heard that the gap between No. 1 and No. 2 RBs is wide, if not cavernous, making the loss of depth Winterboer provided a bit concerning.

jackmd
08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I had heard this move was coming. Also had heard that the gap between No. 1 and No. 2 RBs is wide, if not cavernous, making the loss of depth Winterboer provided a bit concerning.

This I hadn't heard. I was told that Gandy impressed this spring and was expected to be the "real deal". Does that mean Zenner has dropped off some.

da_coach
08-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I actually thought as a Soph. that Kool was our best WR. Now, Rollin certainly improved a great deal last season, but with Kool and Rollin, that would (hopefully) ease the loss of Moss.

Also excited about the TE's this year. Daughters we lost for the season last year in the first game, Benedetto although not a world beater, got a ton of experience last year, and Cam Jones redshirted... and I heard from someone (I can't remember who, or I'd say) that he was the most athletic and possibly the best TE on the roster.

I'm also surprised to hear that the gap between #1 and #2 running back is wide. I thought it was probably Zenner's job to lose, but had heard Gandy was looking really good. Unless, like doc said, that Gandy has already passed Zenner, which would be surprising.

jacksfaninne
08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Does that mean Zenner has dropped off some.

Not by the way it was put to me. Entering fall camp -- Zenner is the clear No. 1; he's the real deal; has the instincts; going to be an outstanding running back. And Gandy is, not suprisingly, young, green, lots to learn, but tons of potential.

Kemo
08-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I liked what I saw from Zenner last year and I like what I hear about Gandy, so the best case scenario is that they both contribute to a much improved rushing attack. Two good backs can keep each other fresh and wear down defenses.

scubasteve
08-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I could see a 20 per/game for Zenner and 10ish per/game for Gandy if all we have heard is true. Between the tackles Zenner's experience and toughness is going to shine but also nice to have the option in Gandy of a change of pace shifty guy to stretch the defense to the sidelines and on screens.

I think kool makes a very difficult cover for any CB in the conference he is shifty and so quick he will be a great asset on timing routes.

If Sumner takes a good sized step forward this year, this offense could be an incredibly fun show to watch.

Now it is just down to being as good as advertised, putting the pads and helmets on, and winning each play (+1)!!

GO JACKS!

jackmd
08-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Not by the way it was put to me. Entering fall camp -- Zenner is the clear No. 1; he's the real deal; has the instincts; going to be an outstanding running back. And Gandy is, not suprisingly, young, green, lots to learn, but tons of potential.

Similar to what I heard. I think Zenner can be really special and Gandy will compliment him perfectly. Stay healthy.

TailGatr
08-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Anyone hear anything on how camp is going?

JackFan96
08-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Injury-filled to a concerning degree, according to TV's latest blog. There's a lot of worrisome news, especially concerning, offensive line, wide receiver and running back options. Yikes!

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/post/29612649442/camp-chronicles-8-17

Southeast
08-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Wow, the offense is hurting right now. That's too bad because I think there is at least a slight chance that the Kansas game could provide a historic win. That challenge gets a lot bigger if you are missing multiple starters.

goon
08-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Sure seems like a lot of injuries happening in spring ball. I know some are to be expected and for the fact there is probably more contact and chance for injury during 1 week of spring ball practice they guys get all season during games but it either means guys are playing really hard they are getting injured or they were not conditioned well coming into camp. My guess is its the first. Zenner and Gandy better stay healthy along with Rollins. Havent heard much about Trevor T. Last camp sounded like he was lights out amazing not dropping a pass untill i think he hurt his wrist or some sort of injury really affected his season.

jacks1
08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Injury-filled to a concerning degree, according to TV's latest blog. There's a lot of worrisome news, especially concerning, offensive line, wide receiver and running back options. Yikes!

http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/post/29612649442/camp-chronicles-8-17

Just terrific...

Theee Catrabbit
08-17-2012, 09:32 AM
The OL injuries are the most worrisome. Not too worried about the RB, took Stig all of 2011 to realize he had a third RB(Clare). WR I think we were pretty deep at anyways.

Did anyone ever say why Winterboer quit the team? I know it's probably rumor why he did anyways. I don't know why you wouldn't at least for a year, fight for the position.

SDSUAlum08
08-17-2012, 09:52 AM
The OL injuries are the most worrisome. Not too worried about the RB, took Stig all of 2011 to realize he had a third RB(Clare). WR I think we were pretty deep at anyways.Did anyone ever say why Winterboer quit the team? I know it's probably rumor why he did anyways. I don't know why you wouldn't at least for a year, fight for the position.Not sure why but he was a walkon right? Much harder to fight for a position when you're not getting your school paid for.

JackItUp78
08-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Those injuries are very concerning, season is only 2 weeks away. Sounds like Fick wont play first week or 2, hoping closer to 3 weeks, not 6. I think we have depth at OL but you cant replace the experience Fick has with starting going on 4 years. I was told that this off season was the most intense workouts they have had in 5 years. Injuries happen, guys need to step up, its the circle of playing in the trenches you just hope they are minimized. What makes me nervous is the running game, passing I think we will be alright but its important we get off to a good start running the ball.

TailGatr
08-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I think we will be ok. I like Kool moving to receiver, but we need to get all of our playmakers on the field and I think Trevor T is one of them. You are right Goon, he was talked about heavily last Fall but then got hurt and then Moss came into the mix.

TK22867
08-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I'd like some insight on fall camp injuries from our own posters who were college football players. Are these injuries something to be concerned about? Does it come down to personal conditioning, or does it get put on the shoulders of the strength and conditioning coach? Or none of the above?

I would expect a few injuries, but this list seems borderline mind-boggling.

On one of the Notre Dame boards I post on (Irishenvy.com), anytime there is an injury during spring ball or fall camp they all want to string up the strength & conditioning coach. Strength and conditioning was a major issue during the Weis era, but not so much with Paul Mongo at the helm under Brian Kelly.

Danger41
08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
I'd like some insight on fall camp injuries from our own posters who were college football players. Are these injuries something to be concerned about? Does it come down to personal conditioning, or does it get put on the shoulders of the strength and conditioning coach? Or none of the above?

On one of the Notre Dame boards I post on (Irishenvy.com), anytime there is an injury during spring ball or fall camp they all want to string up the strength & conditioning coach. Strength and conditioning was a major issue during the Weis era, but not so much with Paul Mongo at the helm under Brian Kelly.

Fall camp injuries just happen, unfortunately. It definitely isn't the fault of Nate Moe. He's an outstanding S&C coach. Without him, this program would not have seen the successes it has during the D-1 transition years.

Back when I was a senior ('07), we had some guys get hurt simply by bad luck. I remember Justin Kubesh tore his ACL and he was one of the most dedicated gym rats on the team. The fall camp Stig and crew run is a very physical camp compared to some of my friends who played at other schools (mainly USAFA and Tennessee) and that may have something to do with it. It's simple math that the more you bash on each other, the more likely you are to get injured. But if you don't do that, you can't expect the type of Jackrabbit football we've grown accustomed to.

Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. Just bad luck is all.

Kemo
08-17-2012, 12:24 PM
The OL injuries are the most worrisome. Not too worried about the RB, took Stig all of 2011 to realize he had a third RB(Clare). WR I think we were pretty deep at anyways.
While I wasn't a fan of the constant rotation of offensive linemen last year, it may pay some dividends this year. We now have some 2nd stringers with quality game experience, so hopefully they can at least hold down the fort until Fick and Parker get healthy.

joeboo22
08-17-2012, 03:46 PM

I think it all depends on the injury. If its pulls and strains then it probably has something to do with conditioning, but if its stress fractures, ligament tears and concussions then its probably just bad luck.

Injuries happen, the key is to make sure you know how to handle them (don't send out injured players and make it worse), and have guys that are ready to step in.

JackItUp78
08-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Yes the constant rotation will hopefully pay off this year as it looks like we will need some guys to step up in a big way.

Chains
08-18-2012, 10:03 AM
Perhaps this continued physical champ year after year and the injuries that result are why the Jacks continue to get off to a slow start. Football is a physical sport but does it need to be that high risk physical in fall ball? I keep thinking about St. John's (Mn) that does not have physical fall practice and compete for championships year after year. Now, I know SJ's is not a D1 program but maybe scale it down it bit to keep kids healthy. For the first time a many years the Jacks need to get off to a good start. It will be a demanding Valley schedule. Go Jacks

GBGBGJ

Fall camp injuries just happen, unfortunately. It definitely isn't the fault of Nate Moe. He's an outstanding S&C coach. Without him, this program would not have seen the successes it has during the D-1 transition years.

Back when I was a senior ('07), we had some guys get hurt simply by bad luck. I remember Justin Kubesh tore his ACL and he was one of the most dedicated gym rats on the team. The fall camp Stig and crew run is a very physical camp compared to some of my friends who played at other schools (mainly USAFA and Tennessee) and that may have something to do with it. It's simple math that the more you bash on each other, the more likely you are to get injured. But if you don't do that, you can't expect the type of Jackrabbit football we've grown accustomed to.

Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. Just bad luck is all.

SDSUAlum08
08-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Anyone aware of how Kool, Parker, and Fick are coming along?