USD getting new turf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD getting new turf

I put the thread in smack because I jumped to a red field conclusion from the video in the second link. The end zones will be red but the field will be green. A move to the MVFC forum is probably warranted.

http://www.goyotes.com/sports/m-foot...071212aaa.html

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101481201666830

Re: USD getting new turf

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I put the thread in smack because I jumped to a red field conclusion from the video in the second link. The end zones will be red but the field will be green. A move to the MVFC forum is probably warranted.

http://www.goyotes.com/sports/m-foot...071212aaa.html

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101481201666830
    Picture of new turf per AstroTurf press release: http://www.astroturfusa.com/Press-Releases.aspx?id=466
    USD Fan

Comment

ahh, it looks nice, almost nice enough for me too poop on.

on a serious note, its probably needed. frankly a lot is needed to make the Dome a D-1 worthy facility.

maybe those who follow it more whats the difference between field turf and astro turf? I thought astro turf was pretty much getting relpaced by field turf most everywhere now adays. like at Nebraska.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        ahh, it looks nice, almost nice enough for me too poop on.

on a serious note, its probably needed. frankly a lot is needed to make the Dome a D-1 worthy facility.

maybe those who follow it more whats the difference between field turf and astro turf? I thought astro turf was pretty much getting relpaced by field turf most everywhere now adays. like at Nebraska.
        AstroTurf and FieldTurf are two different companies that each make several products. Both companies have become almost synonymous with the product they first developed. AstroTurf developed the carpet-type artificial turf back in the 70's. FieldTurf developed the infill-type artificial turf in the 90's. Since then, many other companies, including AstroTurf, have switched to infill-type turfs. The only carpet-type turf that AstroTurf still makes is almost exclusively for field hockey, where a smooth, fast surface is needed.

As for what they are, carpet-type turfs are much like they sound. They are normally made up of a pad as a foundation, and then the turf consists of rather short fibers stitched into a base fabric. The result doesn't have a lot of give and gets worse as the pad wears out. Infill-type turfs may still have the pad(especially when used on concrete), but the main thing is long fibers bound into a thick base. Once installed, pellets made of rubber, sand, or some mix of materials are added to the turf to simulate dirt. As long as the infill is loosened every few months(it tends to compact), the resulting turf is about as soft as a well-maintained grass field. Infill still isn't as good in regards to torque injuries compared to a natural surface, but it's miles better than carpet turfs.

Some companies like AstroTurf have also developed turfs that perform similar to infill-type turfs but without the infill. These are geared mostly to facilities that need to remove the turf for other events, but can't do it in a single roll. When using a conversion system, there are three basic methods: single-roll, multi-roll, and tray. The Rogers Centre(Toronto Blue Jays) used to have the tray system first developed by FieldTurf. It sucked. It looked ugly, it took forever to install and remove, and the huge number of seams created wear problems. Very few facilities used this method.

Multi-roll methods were used by several facilities. AstroTurf, FieldTurf and at least a few other companies offered this option. At our level, you can look at NAU and UNI for examples. The two big problems with this system is that the rubber infill pellets fall out as the turf sections are rolled up, and that the rolls are extremely heavy due to all the rubber(2x-4x heavier than carpet-type turfs). NAU is unhappy with their turf, and I heard a rumor that UNI had to cut their turf sections in half because their machines couldn't handle the weight. Something like the rolls used to be 10 yards wide and they had to make them 5 yards wide instead. If true, it doubled the number of seams and infill loss.

The third method is to keep it as a single sheet. This means a large pit to hold it when it's rolled up, and a powerful and sturdy system to handle the massive weight. It cost the Fargodome a million dollars to upgrade the pit and system, and it cost the Alerus two million to do the same in Grand Forks. But both facilities now have infill turf that can be rolled up or out in around thirty minutes. And since the only edges are the sidelines and the end of the end zones where there is no infill needed, there will be little to no mess from lost infill.

The DakotaDome probably went with an infill-less turf because of the experiences of UNI and NAU. Also, the DD probably doesn't have a spot where a turf pit could be built to allow for a single-roll system(that, or the cost was too high; probably $5 million or more for the whole thing if they don't have an existing pit). I think they went with the only system they could. It will give most of the performance of infill without the mess. I think this turf was the second choice of both the Alerus and Fargodome. Going with the stuff they did added at least a million dollars to the cost of each job.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          AstroTurf and FieldTurf are two different companies that each make several products. Both companies have become almost synonymous with the product they first developed. AstroTurf developed the carpet-type artificial turf back in the 70's. FieldTurf developed the infill-type artificial turf in the 90's. Since then, many other companies, including AstroTurf, have switched to infill-type turfs. The only carpet-type turf that AstroTurf still makes is almost exclusively for field hockey, where a smooth, fast surface is needed.As for what they are, carpet-type turfs are much like they sound. They are normally made up of a pad as a foundation, and then the turf consists of rather short fibers stitched into a base fabric. The result doesn't have a lot of give and gets worse as the pad wears out. Infill-type turfs may still have the pad(especially when used on concrete), but the main thing is long fibers bound into a thick base. Once installed, pellets made of rubber, sand, or some mix of materials are added to the turf to simulate dirt. As long as the infill is loosened every few months(it tends to compact), the resulting turf is about as soft as a well-maintained grass field. Infill still isn't as good in regards to torque injuries compared to a natural surface, but it's miles better than carpet turfs.Some companies like AstroTurf have also developed turfs that perform similar to infill-type turfs but without the infill. These are geared mostly to facilities that need to remove the turf for other events, but can't do it in a single roll. When using a conversion system, there are three basic methods: single-roll, multi-roll, and tray. The Rogers Centre(Toronto Blue Jays) used to have the tray system first developed by FieldTurf. It sucked. It looked ugly, it took forever to install and remove, and the huge number of seams created wear problems. Very few facilities used this method. Multi-roll methods were used by several facilities. AstroTurf, FieldTurf and at least a few other companies offered this option. At our level, you can look at NAU and UNI for examples. The two big problems with this system is that the rubber infill pellets fall out as the turf sections are rolled up, and that the rolls are extremely heavy due to all the rubber(2x-4x heavier than carpet-type turfs). NAU is unhappy with their turf, and I heard a rumor that UNI had to cut their turf sections in half because their machines couldn't handle the weight. Something like the rolls used to be 10 yards wide and they had to make them 5 yards wide instead. If true, it doubled the number of seams and infill loss.The third method is to keep it as a single sheet. This means a large pit to hold it when it's rolled up, and a powerful and sturdy system to handle the massive weight. It cost the Fargodome a million dollars to upgrade the pit and system, and it cost the Alerus two million to do the same in Grand Forks. But both facilities now have infill turf that can be rolled up or out in around thirty minutes. And since the only edges are the sidelines and the end of the end zones where there is no infill needed, there will be little to no mess from lost infill.The DakotaDome probably went with an infill-less turf because of the experiences of UNI and NAU. Also, the DD probably doesn't have a spot where a turf pit could be built to allow for a single-roll system(that, or the cost was too high; probably $5 million or more for the whole thing if they don't have an existing pit). I think they went with the only system they could. It will give most of the performance of infill without the mess. I think this turf was the second choice of both the Alerus and Fargodome. Going with the stuff they did added at least a million dollars to the cost of each job.
          Hammer your my hero with all the facts you dig up
          BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

astro turf, field turf, or nerf turf, it's still not the Real Thing.

Comment

Hammersmith, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me. I am sure you will know this. What type of artificial turf did the Brady family have?
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                astro turf, field turf, or nerf turf, it's still not the Real Thing.
                There's nothing like dirt is there NoVa?

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                  Hammersmith, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me. I am sure you will know this. What type of artificial turf did the Brady family have?
                  According to wiki, Astroturf in 1970.

The knowledge about turf has come from the long fight over a replacement turf for the Fargodome. I think it's been an active topic for five or six years. Over and over people have criticized the Fargodome for not replacing the old turf, but there just wasn't a viable alternative until the last couple years. One of the worst has been MplsBison. In his mind it's almost criminal that the FD didn't put in the tray system and everyone involved should be fired for it. Nutjob. It didn't matter that the trays would've taken the conversion time from an hour to a couple days. And it would've been ugly. And there wasn't storage space available for the hundreds of trays. I got in the habit of arguing with him and anyone else who screamed for new turf without understanding the lack of viable options at the time. I'm probably wrong, but I think the Fargodome and Alerus were the second and third applications of the new conversion system(Edward Jones Dome - St Louis Rams - was the first). The turf had been around for awhile, but the beefed up system to roll it up is new.

edit: I was wrong. It looks like Northern Michigan was first(2009), Edward Jones second(2010), and the FD and Alerus probably third and fourth(2012).

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                    Picture of new turf per AstroTurf press release: http://www.astroturfusa.com/Press-Releases.aspx?id=466
                    That is one ugly logo in the middle of the field. Why not go with the new Padre logo? That is a much better logo and wouldn't be near as busy.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

i would have put that big ole coyote paw at the 50 and then south in one endzone and dakota in the other

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        That's funny, 02, and raises a question. Which surface would you rather play on: the Brady's lawn or the floor of the Dakota Dome?
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Looks pretty good. Glad they didn't do the EWU eyesore of all red.
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            There's nothing like dirt is there NoVa?
                            Let's see, grass and sky vs. vulcanized rubber flooring and a Teflon roof?

Which one to choose?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              Let's see, grass and sky vs. vulcanized rubber flooring and a Teflon roof? Which one to choose?
                              Who has grass?

Comment

Working...
                              X