2012 Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Defense

The season is coming fast and while many are expecting improvement from the Jacks based on a full season with Sumner behind center, a key will be the development of the defense. The Jacks D was relatively young last year and with many returning starters this year, we should see improvement.

What we lost:

Mike Lien, LB - Nearly 200 tackles as a starter the last two years, leading team last year and 2nd on team junior year.
    Kirk Kool, LB - Two year starter who registered 141 tackles and 13 tackles for loss during those years.
    Jake Steffan, DL - Started 29 games as undersized lineman. Had 3 sacks as RS Freshman and added 3 more in final 3 seasons. Could be huge force in some games and absent in other games.
    DBs - Anthony Wise, Darryl Jackson, and Rodkem Matthews. Group will not go down as one of the elite DB classes. Had talent, but limited production.
    Others - Zach Bowers, Eric Wood, and Erich Fellers combined for 5.6 tackles for game from the DL/LB positions.

What's back:

Andy Mink, DL - Led team in sacks, tackles for loss, and tied for lead with forced fumbles. Was 2nd on team with 75 tackles. STUD!!!
    Ross Shafrath, LB - Complete player who was 4th on team in tackles, and added 3.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, and 2 interceptions.
    Winston Wright, DB - Top DB from last year as sophomore. Led team with 3 interceptions, 7 passes broken up, and 10 more defended while leading the secondary and 5th on team in tackles.
    Other DL - UNO transfer David Hettiger and Doug Peete were 9th and 12th respectively on team in tackles. Chase Douglas had a sophomore slump after showing serious promise as RS freshman. Need his size on interior.
    Other LB - RC Kilgore and Chris Tracy should step in to starting roles after averaging 5.6 tackles/game last year. Kyle VanVoorst has been solid on special teams the last 2 years, adding 13 tackles last year.
    Other DB - Bo Helm and Skylar Luxa were top 10 contributors last year in tackles averaging 9.3 tackles/game between them. David Godley also returns for his senior campaign.

Newcomers:

DB - JeRyan Butler, Jimmie Forsythe, and Jake Gentile are potentially the best ever recruiting class of DBs from 2011. Godley was part of that class as a JC transfer. This group should help make the DB group deep and talented.
    LB - TJ Lally may be the most promising of the young linebackers after redshirting last year. He was all-state and one of the elite Chicago area players. Last year's class was deep and some may need to contribute.
    DL - Deep group of 8 sophomores and juniors will provide depth that was tested last year. Freshman class is talented but will likely redshirt.

Noteworthy:

Jack Sherlock, a highly touted LB recruit from Chicago has moved to DL this year. Interesting since there is depth on the DL and somewhat thin at LB with the recent transfer of Brandon Mohr.

So what are your thoughts?

Re: 2012 Defense

The defense also includes 4 other newcomers.

D-lineman Marshall Peugh from Glendale Community College in Avondale, Arizona.
    D-lineman Jacob Hasz from Chadron State
    A linebacker from Rochester Community College
    Safety Andrew Brown from Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs, IA.

Comment

DB- don't forget Joe Martinson. (or did I miss something on him?)

And I don't want to knit pick, or be one of "those guys" but Chase Douglas was hurt almost the entire season. I guess you can call that a disappointment, in that he was injured... but I don't think it's fair to criticize his level of play.

I'm looking forward to this years team.

Comment

That's a pretty solid breakdown.

I'm interested in seeing what David Hettiger can do with a year of DT under his belt and the addition of 20-25 lbs. He looked pretty good last year even though it was his first time playing the position and was really undersized.

Chase Douglas missed most of the year because of injury and so did JUCO transfer Bryan Burke. DT should be much more solid this year. Former SDSU player DiJon Starr might be rejoining the team and they've moved DE LeBlance to DT. I'm surprised Andy Mink hasn't gotten very many accolades for how well he played and the numbers he put up last year.

Another newcomer is CB Austin Scott-Knowlton. He came from the same JUCO as S Andrew Brown and I believe had an INT in the spring game. Not sure if he fits on the depth chart or not.

I've broken down the 2012 roster by position here, http://www.jackrabbitden.com/2012-football-roster/
        Last edited by mitchell; 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks for remining me about Chase's injuries last year. I forgot about that and that was not fair of me to label it a sophomore slump. I am looking forward to having a number of guys back.

I'm still curious why Sherlock was switched from LB to DL. While I can see success from him rushing the edge, we appear to have more depth on the line than at linebacker.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
            Thanks for remining me about Chase's injuries last year. I forgot about that and that was not fair of me to label it a sophomore slump. I am looking forward to having a number of guys back.

I'm still curious why Sherlock was switched from LB to DL. While I can see success from him rushing the edge, we appear to have more depth on the line than at linebacker.
            We have good depth at DT but are a bit short on talented DE.

I think they tried Sherlock at LB but probably knew in the back of their heads they'd move him to DE just because of his size at 6'4" 240.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
              I hear/expect big things out of Doug Peete at DE.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post

I think they tried Sherlock at LB but probably knew in the back of their heads they'd move him to DE just because of his size at 6'4" 240.
                My thinking of the MLB position is he's got to be the biggest,baddest of the LB's.He's the primary defense against the run (up the middle if the defensive line gets blocked out of play)and should be quick enough to plug any holes that develop before the back can gain a full head of steam in the backfield,but,at the same time be big enough to fight off blocks and drop the runner in his tracks like someone dropping a hundred pound sack of potatoes.It's a very hard position to fill as size while still maintaining quickness and speed is hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                X