Briar Cliff to play home games in DakotaDome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Briar Cliff to play home games in DakotaDome

Maybe this was posted elsewhere and maybe there is a better spot for it.

SIOUX CITY | Briar Cliff fans, get ready for some indoor football.

The Chargers plan to play their home football games 39 miles up the road at the University of South Dakota’s DakotaDome, the schools announced Thursday.

The schools have entered into a “Memorandum of Understanding,” according to a joint press release, which won’t go into full effect until the 2013 and 2014 seasons..........

http://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/f...&utm_term=news
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Briar Cliff to play home games in DakotaDome

Briar Cliff averaged 612 fans for 5 home games last season. I really doubt that number is going to improve by making their fans drive 40 miles for each game.

Comment

An obvious question to ask is: if USD thinks it has the capacity to rent out its athletic facilities to other colleges, then how badly does it really need more facilities?

I can see one-time, "emergency"-type rentals of the DakotaDome as being both a good citizen/neighbor thing, with a revenue-producer on the side, but it seems to me that this kinda pushes the envelope.

If I were a South Dakota resident, I'd want to know for sure that the Fall and Winter USD athletic programs were not being required to adjust their practice schedules in order to accommodate this rental. If they were, I'd have to start asking some rather pointed questions.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        Briar Cliff averaged 612 fans for 5 home games last season. I really doubt that number is going to improve by making their fans drive 40 miles for each game.
        Based on the attendence figures, it not a good idea. There were 19 comments attached to the SC Journal article, not many were in favor. Bishop Heelan High seems like a better idea. Until they get over 1000 fans, its seems to be a waste of money. Can you imagine all the echos in the Dome with only 612 fans? I dont think the opponents have to worry about the crowd noise factor.

Comment

If I were the SDHSAA, I'd be concerned about the Dome's availability once playoffs rolled around. I know they've done playoff games in there as an emergency measure, in addition to the finals. And with seven classes starting in 2013, I have some questions.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            If USD personnel will be doing the count,that will translate to around 2200.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              If USD personnel will be doing the count,that will translate to around 2200.
              Smack. Tedious. Unfunny.

This constitutes a warning.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Do people from USD have a problem with this? I guess I don't see the big problem with it. I must be missing something.

Point being, when SDSU finally builds their new indoor practice facility, aren't they going to rent it out for other teams to use? I'd like to think they would to help with operating costs, etc. Bringing in more high school kids to campus only helps SDSU. I understand it's not high school, but if USD hosts 5 games and it's not interfering with USD games does it matter?
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I don't see any problem for USD. Briar Cliff (and Sioux City), on the other hand....

Comment

I'm a little late to this, but I thought I should take my time before commenting, I took my time and still don't understand the decision at all. Unless they are planning on recruiting USD transfers I don't see any advantage. I don't really even see the advantage for USD because they use it for so many things, you would think between the Vermillion hs football games, the USD football games, the other area hs games, the occasional trade shows and concerts they have, plus the offseason track and basketball do they really want to have some games with 500 people their at the dome?

Briar Cliff needs to figure out how to get people in Sioux City to recognize them as a football school, moving their games to South Dakota is not going to help that matter much. I don't know Sioux City but my guess is they could find a field or two either in Sioux City or closer to Sioux City then Vermillion. Honestly, they could play at Elk Point, or Dakota Valley's high school fields and get just as much accomplished.

Comment

Do you really think they care about who rents out the Dome and how many people those events draw? Unless you know how much each event pays to USD to use the Dome how would it be possible for you or anyone else to "see the advantage for USD"?
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Morningside College has a small but nice football facility. At least they did years ago when they were in the NCC with the Jacks. Do they still have football? Seems to me you would rather stay right at home in SC before moving to Vermillion? I'll be honest I have not followed Morningside or BC for that matter. Do they play in the same conference? Hell, who cares?

GBGBGJ

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I'm a little late to this, but I thought I should take my time before commenting, I took my time and still don't understand the decision at all. Unless they are planning on recruiting USD transfers I don't see any advantage. I don't really even see the advantage for USD because they use it for so many things, you would think between the Vermillion hs football games, the USD football games, the other area hs games, the occasional trade shows and concerts they have, plus the offseason track and basketball do they really want to have some games with 500 people their at the dome?

Briar Cliff needs to figure out how to get people in Sioux City to recognize them as a football school, moving their games to South Dakota is not going to help that matter much. I don't know Sioux City but my guess is they could find a field or two either in Sioux City or closer to Sioux City then Vermillion. Honestly, they could play at Elk Point, or Dakota Valley's high school fields and get just as much accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                          Morningside College has a small but nice football facility. At least they did years ago when they were in the NCC with the Jacks. Do they still have football?
                          GBGBGJ
                          Morningside still has football... they are one of top teams in the Great Plains Athletic Conference (USF's former conference) as well as the NAIA.
                          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            Do people from USD have a problem with this? I guess I don't see the big problem with it. I must be missing something.

Point being, when SDSU finally builds their new indoor practice facility, aren't they going to rent it out for other teams to use? I'd like to think they would to help with operating costs, etc. Bringing in more high school kids to campus only helps SDSU. I understand it's not high school, but if USD hosts 5 games and it's not interfering with USD games does it matter?
                            I can guarantee you SDSU is seldom, if ever, going to rent out it's indoor practice facility ever. The facility is not built for fans, except for the minimal seating for indoor track meets, and the facility will be an athletic department (all outdoor sports) and student facility all the time. It will be busy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              I can guarantee you SDSU is seldom, if ever, going to rent out it's indoor practice facility ever. The facility is not built for fans, except for the minimal seating for indoor track meets, and the facility will be an athletic department (all outdoor sports) and student facility all the time. It will be busy.
                              I assumed they would rent it out a few Saturday's a year. You're more in the know than I am.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X