Minnesota Vikings stadium bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Vikings stadium bill

The Minnesota House passed the Vikings stadium bill early this morning and apparently the Senate passed the bill today. It now goes to the governor for his signature. The Vikings agreed to increase their payment by $50 million. As a die hard Vikings fan YES!!!

Re: Minnesota Vikings stadium bill

I'm glad they're not moving to LA... I was afraid I was going to have to become a Broncos fan.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

For a state that has had its share of budget issues, not sure spending state money on this is the best investment they could make. They should have paid to have a heated field put in and just played at the goofers stadium.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Skol! Go Vikings!

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          For a state that has had its share of budget issues, not sure spending state money on this is the best investment they could make. They should have paid to have a heated field put in and just played at the goofers stadium.
          1) the Gophers stadium is not big enough 2)They can't sell beer there 3)The Vikings are going to spend more money than the state. What really frustrated me, was how the politicians just kept jerking around and not doing anything proactive. Also, not building a new stadium and lettin the Vikings leave would be a huge huge mistake. Building the stadium employs workers, hosting NFL games employs workers, they say that the state makes 30 million a year from opposing players from the income tax. Not to mention fans staying at hotels, paying for parking, getting gas, and o ya the stadium will be able to hold 200+ events a year. That is why building a new stadium was vital to Minnesota.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I know that there's a lot of people whining and complaining about this new stadium in Minnesota. But I think it's a good idea for several reasons...

1) No New Taxes... whoa, George H.W. Bush flashback. But while some tax money will be used, it's existing tax revenue that the City of Minneapolis is taking from its entertainment tax. Most of the State's contribution will be coming from expanded gaming. Not to mention the fact the Vikings are going to be paying nearly half the cost of the stadium, as well as paying about 12-million dollars a year in upkeep costs for the next 30 years. But in terms of putting extra income or property taxes on Ole and Lena Homeowner, not happening.

2) Economic Boost... Some academics are going to say that there isn't going to be that much of an impact... well in the short term, this is going to provide thousands of construction jobs in the Minneapolis area, which means people are going to be paid. Which means they're going to be buying things. Which means the State is going to see tax revenue from these folks.

3) Sustained visitor dollars... With this new agreement, the Vikings will remain in Minneapolis for the next thirty years. That's huge, especially if they would have gone somewhere else like Los Angeles. The Twin Cities offer a lot of things, but most people from North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Nebraska don't come to the Cities for their Libraries. There's a reason why the Guthrie Theater and the Fitzgerald Theater doesn't hold 70-thousand plus people whereas the Metrodome does. Entertainment like the Vikings, Twins, Wild and T-Wolves and Lynx is a huge part of the area's (and conversely the State's) economy. Not only for ticket sales and concessions, but also for things like lodging, meals, other shopping (MOA, anyone?). Not to sound like a jerk, but when it boils down to dollars and cents, this is what is out there.

I'm not a big fan of taxes... and I would have had real problems if this bill created new ones for the folks in Minnesota (it's already one of the highest-taxed States in the nation). But it seems to me that this new stadium is a win-win for everyone involved.
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
              1) the Gophers stadium is not big enough 2)They can't sell beer there 3)The Vikings are going to spend more money than the state. What really frustrated me, was how the politicians just kept jerking around and not doing anything proactive. Also, not building a new stadium and lettin the Vikings leave would be a huge huge mistake. Building the stadium employs workers, hosting NFL games employs workers, they say that the state makes 30 million a year from opposing players from the income tax. Not to mention fans staying at hotels, paying for parking, getting gas, and o ya the stadium will be able to hold 200+ events a year. That is why building a new stadium was vital to Minnesota.
              Off topic on the Vikings stadium but the Gophers will now be allowed to sell beer at TCF Stadium going forward. That rule was removed as of April 2012.
              “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
                Off topic on the Vikings stadium but the Gophers will now be allowed to sell beer at TCF Stadium going forward. That rule was removed as of April 2012.
                Beat me to it. Hoping to increase student attendance. I bet it works.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Beat me to it. Hoping to increase student attendance. I bet it works.
                  It didn't help much when they played in the Metrodome - the biggest thing hurting student attendance there is the 11:00 am starting time for most of the games due to television commitments.

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
                    Well I was wrong there as I have not been following the gophers much less the TCF stadium. But isn't the Vikings going to have to play in the TCF stadium, since they are going to be building the new stadium on top of the metrodome? They will not be making much money that year, as there will be 15,000 less tickets sold

Comment

Sounds like it will be a pretty good deal for the University. Per a Star Tribune article today:

"Under the agreement, the Vikings will pay the university a fixed fee of $250,000 each game. In addition, the Vikings and university will split money that comes in from concessions, sponsorship and advertising, likely amounting to about $50,000 a game. That plus the rent means the university will take in about $300,000 a game or $3 million over the course of a 10-game NFL season.

The Vikings may lease the university stadium for up to four consecutive NFL seasons, likely starting in 2013, or may play at the Bank for all or part of one NFL season, which likely would be in 2015. The university stadium would be available for only Sunday games and one weeknight game per season."

Full article here: http://www.startribune.com/local/min...151148145.html
                      “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

IDK about the bill...... The Twins stadium cost half as much, and has way more economic impact, and was funded by a very small Hennepin County tax.

I'm not a Vikings fan, and I really don't care either way, I just thought that for a state that cut a lot of salaries, and had a huge budget crisis last year (was better this year), that giving the Vikings a ton of money for a stadium was ridiculous.

I thought they could have toned down the stadium (like the Twins had to), get the cost down in the 600 range, make the Vikings pay their 400 million, put the state, county, and city for the other $200, put a $1 ticket fee on all events at the stadium to help pay for it, and make everyone happy. But that was just my idea.

And I don't like Zigi, he has the money, or at least pretends like he does. It seems like too many owners (Going back to George W. Bush), have their mind set on getting the state/city/county to build them a stadium and then sell the team. I always thought that if a state was smart, they would put in some type of wording that any sale of the franchise would result in a % of the sale going to the state.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          IDK about the bill...... The Twins stadium cost half as much, and has way more economic impact, and was funded by a very small Hennepin County tax. I'm not a Vikings fan, and I really don't care either way, I just thought that for a state that cut a lot of salaries, and had a huge budget crisis last year (was better this year), that giving the Vikings a ton of money for a stadium was ridiculous. I thought they could have toned down the stadium (like the Twins had to), get the cost down in the 600 range, make the Vikings pay their 400 million, put the state, county, and city for the other $200, put a $1 ticket fee on all events at the stadium to help pay for it, and make everyone happy. But that was just my idea. And I don't like Zigi, he has the money, or at least pretends like he does. It seems like too many owners (Going back to George W. Bush), have their mind set on getting the state/city/county to build them a stadium and then sell the team. I always thought that if a state was smart, they would put in some type of wording that any sale of the franchise would result in a % of the sale going to the state.
                          He's footing more money than the whole state. What do you want him to do, spend all his money he's earned on one stadium? He didn't become a billionaire just to blow it on a stadium because Minnesota didn't want to spend money. Why didnt they get a cheaper metrodome? Because it would have been the metrodome 2.0. That is why they need a new stadium in the first place, because they were too cheap back then. It would have hurt the economy worse if they didn't build a stadium. The players income tax will pay for the Minnesotas part of the stadium in 10-15 years. The new stadium will be more expensive because of the roof, and if you hate Zygi, than I don't know what to tell you. He could have pulled Baltimore colts and leave in the middle of the night and go to LA and be agreed to spend the extra 50 million and is footing the bill himself for a retractable roof.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                            He's footing more money than the whole state. What do you want him to do, spend all his money he's earned on one stadium? He didn't become a billionaire just to blow it on a stadium because Minnesota didn't want to spend money. Why didnt they get a cheaper metrodome? Because it would have been the metrodome 2.0. That is why they need a new stadium in the first place, because they were too cheap back then. It would have hurt the economy worse if they didn't build a stadium. The players income tax will pay for the Minnesotas part of the stadium in 10-15 years. The new stadium will be more expensive because of the roof, and if you hate Zygi, than I don't know what to tell you. He could have pulled Baltimore colts and leave in the middle of the night and go to LA and be agreed to spend the extra 50 million and is footing the bill himself for a retractable roof.
                            So how much state tax money is being used to help him pad his wallet with a new stadium? He has to pay a lot of money but he looks to gain more in the long run. Why should the state or city pay just so he doesn't move the team? Its call unintented consequences. All the money people spend for vikings tix merch food if the team left would have that money to spend or keep in other areas. Sure loose some tourism money is maybe the only negative.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Can't say I am in favor of this plan or not. I don't watch football on Sundays. I believe though the deal is the State of MN will own the new stadium. The Vikings owners will pay rent to play there, along with a large proportion of the cost to build.

Is it a good deal or bad deal? Don't care, my money isn't going into it.
                              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                              X