Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN.com cover story on Doug Miller

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...uper-bowl-team

Still the best athlete I have ever played with. An amazingly sad story.

Re: ESPN.com cover story on Doug Miller

I remember being a Freshman at State in January 1995 and watching the Super Bowl from my friend Hollander's room. There was a pretty big buzz on campus leading up to the game, simply because this was the first Super Bowl in which an SDSU grad was playing. It was a sad deal when his career ended and even sadder when he passed on.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

My brother in law played with John Parella at Nebraska and not only was John a member of that team that has lost so many pieces in unfortunate passings - John's father was found shot to death at his home in Grand Island almost 12 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        I remember being a Freshman at State in January 1995 and watching the Super Bowl from my friend Hollander's room. There was a pretty big buzz on campus leading up to the game, simply because this was the first Super Bowl in which an SDSU grad was playing. It was a sad deal when his career ended and even sadder when he passed on.
        Didn't Jim Langer play in multiple Super Bowls with the Dolphins?

More on topic, the Doug Miller chapter in VJ Smith's book "Jackrabbit Tales" is fantastic (as is much of the book for any SDSU supporter). Must read stuff in my opinion.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          Didn't Jim Langer play in multiple Super Bowls with the Dolphins?

More on topic, the Doug Miller chapter in VJ Smith's book "Jackrabbit Tales" is fantastic (as is much of the book for any SDSU supporter). Must read stuff in my opinion.
          Yes. Langer was a Super Bowl champion on the Dolphins undefeated team for certain.

Jackrabbit Tales has an excellent chapter on Doug. Agreed, the whole book is a must read for any Jacks fan.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I meant in modern times.... yeah, that's the ticket!

And now if you'll excuse me, I have to fly to Paris with my wife... Morgan Fairchild... yeah, that's the ticket, yeah!
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Everyone should buy and read VJ's "Jackrabbit Tales" and Amy Dunkle's "College on the Hill" (with VJ).

Doug Miller's demise is an incredibly sad story.

Comment

Wow...apparently I didn't know anything about Doug Miller, as I learned several things in that article.

For starters, I didn't even know Doug Miller died, let alone HOW he died. I didn't know he was on the 1994 Chargers team, nor did I know his career ended after only 3 years.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Doug was a year ahead of me at SDSU, played alot of ball against him. Incredible athlete and competitor whose life ended way too soon in a very bizarre way.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                    Wow...apparently I didn't know anything about Doug Miller, as I learned several things in that article.

For starters, I didn't even know Doug Miller died, let alone HOW he died. I didn't know he was on the 1994 Chargers team, nor did I know his career ended after only 3 years.
                    Rowdy, you must be a bit younger. Doug was a great player. Pick up VJ Smith's book Jackrabbit Tales it has the story in there about Doug and Dave Peterson. It goes into a bit more depth, and ultimately how Doug's ashes were spread on the field at Coughlin.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                      http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...uper-bowl-team

Still the best athlete I have ever played with. An amazingly sad story.
                      And Doug could rock out the mullet. Gotta love the good old Young Hall days, huh Paul? Still remember giving him crap at Ray's Corner about the penalty on the opening kickoff of the Super Bowl.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Bruce Klosterman played in Super Bowl XXII with the Broncos, Feb. 1, 1988.
                        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                          Bruce Klosterman played in Super Bowl XXII with the Broncos, Feb. 1, 1988.
                          How about first player post 1990 to play in a Super Bowl then :-)
                          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

And now if you'll excuse me, I have to fly to Paris with my wife... Morgan Fairchild... yeah, that's the ticket, yeah!
                            you are going to get yourself in big trouble defining pre-modern as the '70s....

Comment

Doug came back to SDSU to finish school and helped coach the linebackers when I was still playing. He was an amazing dude. He was one of the best athletes I've ever met. Unfortunately, his knees were horrible. I remember working out with him one day in the summer when I told him I was going to play basketball at the Barn. He knew enough not to get too crazy, but he came along mainly to do something other than run on the treadmill for once. Without any apparent incident with his knee, he tore something in the knee and had to have another surgey. That was something like his 6th or 7th knee surgery in total. His knees kept him from having a long career in the NFL.

I still remember hearing about his death and how it happened as some of us were in the HPER working out. One of the coaches came down to tell us what happened. He was coaching at Cal Berkley at the time. Don't know what else to say other than he was one of those guys who left an imprint if you ever met him. He left a big one on me. If anyone is so inclined, there is a scholarship set up in his name for SDSU football. You could do a lot worse than to give $50-100 to something with Doug's name on it.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X