Junior Seau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Seau

So sad the news out of San Diego County on Junior Seau taking his life today. When I live in San Diego and the Chargers were on the way up he was "The Man". The foundations he started helping youth and other things around the county he did were amazing. He was the face of the Chargers. I went to his bar/restaurant a lot after it opened and was the place to be after Monday Night Football games when the Chargers played. Some friends of mine built and painted a custon Harley Davidson for him which he gave away a the grand prize for one of his fundraisers.

Don't know what happened to him in his life to make him do this but apparantly he was having personnal problems of some sort. But suicide is no answer no matter how bad the problem is.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...age=3#comments

Re: Junior Seau

If you want to read a very sentimental take on the situation, read Eric Olsen's (Saint OL) twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/EOlsen69

Wow this is a tough one.. When I was a frosh in HS Junior Seau worked the Jay Fiedler Football camp and at the end of one of the days he...

Challenged any1 to a 1 on 1. Being one of the 'big' kids, I was volunteered by my buddies and went up in front of the whole camp to face...

This monster of a man. Shaking in my cleats, he gave me a wink before a coach gave the cadence. He let me pancake him. And he sold it too...

I can't even tell you how good I felt at that moment; it changed me forever. The whole camp cheered for me, a chubby kid that didn't know...

If he even liked football. From then on I was addicted. All thanks 2 this 10 time all-pro that felt like making some snot-nosed kid's day...

Doesn't seem like much but it meant a lot to me. Sorry for the essay just had to share. RIP Junior I'll never forget what you did for me.

Got a little dusty in here after reading that.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

There was an interesting piece on the CBS morning show about 3 former NFL players recently committing suicide. Dave Duerson,former Bears DB also shot himself in the chest,and said in his note that he shot himself there so his brain could be studied for researching football head injuries.

Comment

I don't know if this was related to on the field issues/injuries or not. But with all the bad press football/concussions have received over the past 5 years, and then all these retired players injuries coming out at young ages, you have to wonder what it will do to the future of the sport. Kurt Warner was on the Dan Patrick show this morning, saying he wouldn't let his kids play in the NFL. In the past 2-3 MLB drafts, you have had more players who had football opportunities sign for baseball. Just wondering what the residual affects will be.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I don't know if this was related to on the field issues/injuries or not. But with all the bad press football/concussions have received over the past 5 years, and then all these retired players injuries coming out at young ages, you have to wonder what it will do to the future of the sport. Kurt Warner was on the Dan Patrick show this morning, saying he wouldn't let his kids play in the NFL. In the past 2-3 MLB drafts, you have had more players who had football opportunities sign for baseball. Just wondering what the residual affects will be.
          You have to look at it like this. Kurt Warner won't let his kids play in the NFL. Why? Because he has money and his kids don't need the money and will get a career elsewhere from a degree. There will always players wanting to go in the NFL, simply due to the "American Dream" in the hood and projects. As far as choosing MLB, its all about $$$$ not safety and how many athletes have that choice. I really don't think there will be too much of a difference.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Ben Leber, the Vermillion native and longtime NFL linebacker, told us today on "Calling All Sports" that he would support his son no matter what he chooses, but would not be disappointed if his son did not play football. He also had some great stories about being taken under Seau's wing when Leber was a rookie, and how well he got to know him through the years. Very sad.

The interview is available at www.callingallsportssd.com, and will also be replayed on "Sportsmax" this weekend.

Comment

When I think of this situation, I can't help but think of the poem "Richard Cory".
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Until this week, I have to confess, I had never heard of Junior Seau, but I have not followed the NFL very closely. I am not one to watch 6 or 7 NFL games on Sunday. One can not help but admire this fine individual. Many mentioned depression on TV chat today and I suppose that is a possiblity. We have to wait and let our media figure it out and report.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                  When I think of this situation, I can't help but think of the poem "Richard Cory".
                  I googled this poem and its seems very much a parallel to Junior Seau's life, considering what little I know. Both could be suffering very much from depression. I have always been curious about Edwin Arlington Robinson. Thanks for the reference. I know some of his work was included in the Intro to Literature course that I took at SDSU many moons ago.

Comment

Apparently there are several who are thinking the 1994 Chargers are cursed... and there's also a South Dakota State connection.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/79...uper-bowl-team
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                      You have to look at it like this. Kurt Warner won't let his kids play in the NFL. Why? Because he has money and his kids don't need the money and will get a career elsewhere from a degree. There will always players wanting to go in the NFL, simply due to the "American Dream" in the hood and projects. As far as choosing MLB, its all about $$$$ not safety and how many athletes have that choice. I really don't think there will be too much of a difference.
                      This is a GREAT read. Football isn't immune to becoming irrelevant.

What Would the End of Football Look Like
                      http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...k-end-football
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I don't think football will ever end, or anything like that, but right now football is on top of the world, but this is really putting a black eye on the sport. It seems like every 3-4 months a former player has either committed suicide, or came out saying he has some neurological condition, and those are just the ones that we hear about. And because of the black eye you have to wonder what the impact may be. 30-40 years ago, I think many in the boxing world would never believe the day where no one would know who the heavy weight champ is

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I don't think football will ever end, or anything like that, but right now football is on top of the world, but this is really putting a black eye on the sport. It seems like every 3-4 months a former player has either committed suicide, or came out saying he has some neurological condition, and those are just the ones that we hear about. And because of the black eye you have to wonder what the impact may be. 30-40 years ago, I think many in the boxing world would never believe the day where no one would know who the heavy weight champ is
                          There it is. Joeboo just signalled the end of football
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                          X