SDSU won't play UND in Football?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU won't play UND in Football?

It is being reported from Fargo that SDSU won't play UND in football until the Sioux name is resolved. From TV's twitter it is hinted that he is writing a story on this for tomorrow.

Re: SDSU won't play UND in Football?

UND is dumb...enough said.

Comment

I haven't followed the "news" on this topic the last day or so...just getting caught up and trying to figure out who's on first.
      Story in the Mitchell Daily Republic:
      http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/65086/

"The leader of University of North Dakota's alumni says South Dakota State has joined a growing number of schools that won't schedule UND in athletics until the controversy over its Fighting Sioux nickname is resolved...."

Other stuff I'm reading indicates SDSU's official stance is: we'll honor existing contracts but may not schedule more (taking it on a case-by-case basis) until the nickname issue is resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I haven't followed the "news" on this topic the last day or so...just getting caught up and trying to figure out who's on first.
        Story in the Mitchell Daily Republic:
        http://www.mitchellrepublic.com/event/article/id/65086/

"The leader of University of North Dakota's alumni says South Dakota State has joined a growing number of schools that won't schedule UND in athletics until the controversy over its Fighting Sioux nickname is resolved...."

Other stuff I'm reading indicates SDSU's official stance is: we'll honor existing contracts but may not schedule more (taking it on a case-by-case basis) until the nickname issue is resolved.
        Sell and Mr. President need to figure it out and make a stance of what they plan to do. I also hope they decide to not schedule them.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          Sell and Mr. President need to figure it out and make a stance of what they plan to do. I also hope they decide to not schedule them.
          I entertained this exact topic when the battle to keep the nickname first resurfaced and after SDSU had agreed to a home and home on the FB field. At that time AD Sell stated that the Jackrabbits would be making the trip to Grand Forks in 2013. It sounds like that is still the case based on Justin's discussion with TV today. TV did infer that SDSU's athletic dept has not handled the UND alumni directors shot across the bow very well.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Story in today's Fargo Forum:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

I see the possibility that O'Keefe, CEO of the UND Alumni Association, is taking some liberties with SDSU's stance. After all, pointing out schools are refusing to schedule UND should help convince (reasonable) people that the June vote has to rejecting the Sioux name.

Fine with me if we honor any existing contracts but refuse to talk about other schedules until the UND is not on the sanctions list. I don't say that from any particular position on use of the name -- I just don't want to have to have anything to do with such a collateral issue. There are a lot of schools we can schedule other than one that brings a bus-load of baggage.

Comment

Personally I wish we would continue to play them I don't see the big deal any way they have a much larger college with the fighting Irish as thier mascot so whats the big deal about the Fighting Sioux. People are People isn't it more descrimination not to leave it? I think if the mascot wasn't an issue they might be looking to join the summit league this year further shifting the balance towards I-29 and furthermore securing the summit league tournement in Sioux Falls. I don't think we gain much by piling on UND with thier mascot issues.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                I don't see the big deal any way they have a much larger college with the fighting Irish as thier mascot so whats the big deal about the Fighting Sioux. People are People isn't it more descrimination not to leave it?
                http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-gi...b_1263519.html
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  They have a stance. Sell stated on the Mike McFeely show today that SDSU will not schedule UND in any sports, but will honor existing contracts, until the nickname issue is resolved.

Also our SID had a tweet taking a shot at UND for trying to drag us into their mess.

It seems SDSU did not foresee the UND alumni official making a comment for his own self-serving purposes and was not prepared to have to discuss this today. What a waste of time for our school.

I definitely hope we don't schedule them.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                    Personally I wish we would continue to play them I don't see the big deal any way they have a much larger college with the fighting Irish as thier mascot so whats the big deal about the Fighting Sioux. People are People isn't it more descrimination not to leave it? I think if the mascot wasn't an issue they might be looking to join the summit league this year further shifting the balance towards I-29 and furthermore securing the summit league tournement in Sioux Falls. I don't think we gain much by piling on UND with thier mascot issues.
                    I don't agree with your assertion the Fighting Sioux nickname is comparable to Notre Dame's Fighting Irish nickname...but, I suggest you or anyone who wants to make or refute that argument, can save a lot of time by reading the last several years' worth of posts on the subject at UND's message board, SiouxSports.com. Those people have been all over that argument, both for and against, for years. Just about anything that can be said on the emotional issue, has been said (over and over ad nauseum)

It seems to me that the interesting story now is whether those who continue to be proponents of saving the Sioux nickname and logo may cause (or allow?) long-term damage to UND athletics if they convince voters their position is correct (this June, North Dakotans will go to the polls to vote on -- this gets confusing -- the law which repealed the law which mandated UND retain the Sioux nickname, the repealer having be referred to a vote of the people).

It's also my opinion that if more pile on UND at this point, the better the chance the voters will uphold the repealer and then the nickname will be buried and UND can put this behind them and play ball.

Comment

I think the whole debacle put SDSU, NDSU, and to a lesser extent USD in a tough spot.

Its a team that is willing to travel, away games are an easy trip. Has some historical rivalry ties so the crowds are generally decent. It makes a ton of sense to schedule UND, but because of the name debacle SDSU has to think about it, and make a decision based on what they think they should do.

We can argue for 30 pages whether or not the name is appropriate, but I have yet to find 1 NCAA employee who sits on his computer and looks at the message boards to decide whether or not he/she should change their decision on this situation. Yes, some schools got to keep their tribal mascots, and yes there is the Fighting Irish. But the law was passed 5 years ago (maybe longer), and the battles have been fought, and its time to say hey we lost, goodbye, lets think of a new nickname

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                        What a waste of time for our school.
                        The upshot is that it appears O'Keefe's comments resulted in a change in policy at SDSU.

At about noon, Sell told TV that there was no policy against playing UND, and that he thought SDSU and UND should play in 'most sports' and that decisions were made on a case by case basis.

Two hours later, Sell basically told McFeely that SDSU would not schedule UND while the nickname was in place.

I think it's pretty clear that O'Keefe's remarks yesterday were the straw that broke the camel's back. It was pretty clear leading up to this that the administration was uncomfortable with the nickname, but recognized the value of cheap games for softball, baseball, etc. And I imagine that getting buried in nickname blowback today nudged Chicoine & Sell firmly into the 'screw 'em' side of the ledger.

UND misrepresented SDSU's position to O'Keefe, O'Keefe spoke out of turn, and now SDSU really does have a policy against playing UND.

Comment

Dogs may bark, but the caravan moves on. What a great saying. I going to file that one away for future use.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

Comment

Sources who wish to remain anonymous announced this morning the member schools in the Eastern South Dakota (ESD) conference will not consider scheduling UND in any athletic contest unless and until UND complies with the NCAA rule on the use of Native American nicknames and imagery for it's teams.

Officials at the University of Okoboji at Arnold's Park, Iowa, are expected to make an announcement later today on the subject of scheduling UND.

For any reader not familiar with the ESD or the U of Okoboji Fighting Phantoms: the ESD is a high school athletic conference made up of the largest towns in eastern South Dakota excluding the Sioux Falls schools; and the U of Okoboji is a mythical university founded decades ago by the proprietors of a clothing store in Milford, IA which provides a source of humor for the locals.
                              Last edited by JackJD; 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X