New Head Wrestling Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Head Wrestling Coach

Looks like it is down to three really high quality guys. Decision coming shortly. I am impressed with the talent they are looking at and looking forward to a new beginning for our wrestling program.
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Re: New Head Wrestling Coach

and they are?

Comment

PM me. My guess is there is a reason there is no press on this, so I don't want to get anyone in trouble. Jobs and families are at stake. One of the guys can tell everyone, two will go back to work.
      “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Any news on the new head coach wrestling front?

Comment

How can this not be public news? I would hope that anyone that is in the running for the head coaching job at a DI school has told his current employer that he's looking. Pretty poor professionalism if someone's a final three and his employer in the dark. And besides, HOW IS THIS NOT BEING REPORTED? It's a head coaching position. Not second assistant to the GA or some other lower level position.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
            How can this not be public news? I would hope that anyone that is in the running for the head coaching job at a DI school has told his current employer that he's looking. Pretty poor professionalism if someone's a final three and his employer in the dark. And besides, HOW IS THIS NOT BEING REPORTED? It's a head coaching position. Not second assistant to the GA or some other lower level position.
            Why would you tell your employer your looking for another head coaching job? And why would you want it public? It would kill recruiting!
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              Why would you tell your employer your looking for another head coaching job? And why would you want it public? It would kill recruiting!
              Depends, generally at the D-I level and for that matter all college head jobs, it is accustom to inform your AD that you are interviewing for another job. Does it always happen? no, and if its an assistant somewhere even less likely it would happen.

I think what is surprising is how is this not public yet? Its a head job, in today's world of 24 hour media, and everyone thinking they can leak something it is surprising that it hasn't came out who the finalist are, or at least who one of the finalist is.

Now is this professionalism? Maybe its a good sign that SDSU is keeping it hush hush. But I don't like them waiting until the middle of April to pick a candidate, MANY seniors are out there right now making their decisions on what they are doing next year, every day you wait is another day that they may have made a decision.

Comment

In the coaching ranks it's a courtesy. And if someone doesn't have a good enough relationship with his or her current AD to say "Hey, this job opened up and I'd like to explore"...well then there may be some issues.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

In the coaching ranks it's a courtesy. And if someone doesn't have a good enough relationship with his or her current AD to say "Hey, this job opened up and I'd like to explore"...well then there may be some issues.
                  Exactly, and its a little bit different depending on what your position is, if you are a 3rd assistant at a D-II school you may not mention it because you don't feel it is necessary, but in general you will tell your AD, and maybe even your team. I know when Paul Sather applied at Northern, he told the Black Hills St. AD and the team. the reason was some times a school will mention the finalist, or will mention others that they interviewed, and if it came out that he was looking and didn't get it, it would not look great.

If the candidate(s) are as highly qualified as implied, my guess is that they have informed their boss, whether that is the HC (if they are an assistant), or the AD

Comment

They were close then added a late addition to the candidate pool. Sounds like next week early.

Comment

You're right. (As is JoeBoo) regarding telling your AD that you're looking for a job. I was more thinking along the lines of NOT making it public of who was a candidate for the job. I feel like that would be terrible for your program, recruiting, etc.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

You're right. (As is JoeBoo) regarding telling your AD that you're looking for a job. I was more thinking along the lines of NOT making it public of who was a candidate for the job. I feel like that would be terrible for your program, recruiting, etc.
                        And that is understandable, but many times the program making the hire will make the finalist public, and sometimes they will make public everyone who applied. Every state is different, every athletic department is different, and every job within every athletic department is different. I think what is surprising is that it hasn't been made public yet who the finalist are.

Comment

Yes it would be terrible. I willing to bet that there is a privacy release form that is signed before any names are made public. If some one refuses to sign, then its a good indication that they still like their old job and don't want to risk losing that job. Which in interviewer's minds makes them ask why did you come here?

Comment

If you look at the number of schools that have wrestling, it is dwindling. So to have a good job as an assistant, you have to be careful when throwing your hat in the ring for a head coach job. You might come home from your interview and find someone has taken your place. In other words a lot of competition for a handful of jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gameday View Post
                              If you look at the number of schools that have wrestling, it is dwindling. So to have a good job as an assistant, you have to be careful when throwing your hat in the ring for a head coach job. You might come home from your interview and find someone has taken your place. In other words a lot of competition for a handful of jobs.
                              I get you.

Comment

Working...
                              X