Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning to sign with Denver...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...m-tebow-traded

...and in other news, Tim Tebow will get traded to the Flint Tropics for the team's washing machine.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Manning to sign with Denver...

I'm confused. Why would Denver want Manning when they already have Tebow?
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      Good question.

Comment

I am more confused why would Manning want to go to Denver? a cold climate and yes the made the playoffs and he makes them better assuming hes healthy and able to play.....but there were some contenders who IMO would have been a much better fit for a guy who probably only has a few years left regardless of the neck issue.

I think its more so Denver trying to make a reason to get rid of Tebow so they dont have to be stuck with him long term. On paper I think Manning would have been the best fit with the 49ers. a team taht was a fwe plays from the superbowl who have an avg QB at best with Smith.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I am more confused why would Manning want to go to Denver? a cold climate and yes the made the playoffs and he makes them better assuming hes healthy and able to play.....but there were some contenders who IMO would have been a much better fit for a guy who probably only has a few years left regardless of the neck issue.

I think its more so Denver trying to make a reason to get rid of Tebow so they dont have to be stuck with him long term. On paper I think Manning would have been the best fit with the 49ers. a team taht was a fwe plays from the superbowl who have an avg QB at best with Smith.
          Straight cash, homey. Denver offered up the best deal with the most money.

Comment

Straight cash, homey. Denver offered up the best deal with the most money.
            Oh, but it's not about the $$$. It's never about the $$$.

Denver is about the worst place he could have gone in my opinion.

Denver is to Rowdyrabbit as IPFW is to Filbert.

I just don't like Denver, for no real reason.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I also have heard that Elway and Manning have become quite tight over the past few years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tebow stay in Denver as backup to Manning, or maybe even on the field at the same time as a fullback or H-back. One of the KC radio talk guys this morning had a good point---Tebow's game is so very different than Manning's, that if Tebow as a backup would ever have to come in for Manning, Denver could/would shift to an ENTIRELY different offense, which the opponent wouldn't have prepared for--or if they had prepared for it, that means that they'd have spent less time preparing for Manning.

I would however also not be surprised to see Denver try to move Tebow--probably to Jacksonville or somewhere else in SEC-land, or to some team for which even Tebow would be a big upgrade at the position.

Tebow, whatever else you might think, really is a great football player who happens to have (right now anyway) below-average NFL quarterback passing skills. It depends, I guess, on if Denver thinks they can use Tebow The Football Player vs. Tebow The Quarterback.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                Oh, but it's not about the $$$. It's never about the $$$.

Denver is about the worst place he could have gone in my opinion.

Denver is to Rowdyrabbit as IPFW is to Filbert.

I just don't like Denver, for no real reason.
                From everything I've read, the offense they run is very similar to what he's used to, but with different terminology. That way he can spend the off-season getting his body right instead of learning a new offense. Also, Denver has a good offensive line, some talented skill position players (Decker, Thomas) a great running game. From things I've read, Dallas Clark is likely to follow him there and they could be in the mix for some other players to help Manning as well. Good defense that will benefit from a better offense. The awful-ness of the division should be factored in. There might have been some Elway-Manning connection as well. Pretty good situation.

Also, the $$$.

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Tebow, whatever else you might think, really is a great football player who happens to have (right now anyway) below-average NFL quarterback passing skills. It depends, I guess, on if Denver thinks they can use Tebow The Football Player vs. Tebow The Quarterback.
                I don't think he's a great football player. I think he works hard and there are certain aspects of his game are very good. But he plays quarterback and if he's below average at throwing the football (and I think that is being extremely generous), then he cannot be considered a great football player.

Comment

Onion weighs in on Manning signing

http://www.theonion.com/articles/bro...nyone-w,27673/

Comment

For you Tebow fans with Twitter, here is a great follow: https://twitter.com/#!/tebownotmanning

Comment

I just don;t see it. A team with one WR who didnt come on strong till the end of last year, another who is young who got hurt to end last year, an ok running back? I just dont see it. I would have guessed 49ers because that could have gotten him to the super bowl with a proven D but still some question marks at the skilled position, gore if he can stay healthy, and Moss who knows which one shows up. Manningham young but talented. Would love to see the 49ers keep Gin Jr because they need that x factor and return man.

I also figured Miami, better weather, a new coach who just did some great things with Rodgers at QB, I would imagine that could have been a good fit.

Even the Titans with the whole going home aspect and a team that could use a proven leader etc.

Denvers weather and lack of experienced playmakers doesnt seem that great of a fit but i guess if they are payiing the most he will make it fit.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

From what I've read, Denver and Miami were barely in consideration, Miami not at all. Mike Lombardi said that Peyton only took Miami's call because Marino was the one that got in contact with him. And are SF's skill players better than Denver's by that much? Manningham has never been a first option, Moss is old. Vernon Davis is legit and so is Frank Gore when he is healthy. If Denver can bring in Mike Wallace (already read rumors of that) then it's a slam dunk in favor of Denver's skill guys.

Another thing I've read is that with Denver's salary structure, they will be able to remain competitive longer. (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...enver-now-what)

Comment

From what I've read, Denver and Miami were barely in consideration, Miami not at all. Mike Lombardi said that Peyton only took Miami's call because Marino was the one that got in contact with him. And are SF's skill players better than Denver's by that much? Manningham has never been a first option, Moss is old. Vernon Davis is legit and so is Frank Gore when he is healthy. If Denver can bring in Mike Wallace (already read rumors of that) then it's a slam dunk in favor of Denver's skill guys.

Another thing I've read is that with Denver's salary structure, they will be able to remain competitive longer. (http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...enver-now-what)
                          Gore or Mcgehee? Gore wins IMO. DAvis or I dont even know denvers TE? Davis wins. Inured Decker who is mostly unproven, and Thomas who had half of one good year or Manningham who also has only proven good part of the time and Moss who can be a record breaker or team destroyer, Also if Crabtree develops more and gin Jr comes back. They are not all proven but the talent is there for sure. I would have to pick the 49ers with the slight edge. Now when it comes to lineman and protection, I have no idea. I would guess 49ers just because Smith played so well, I assume he didnt get tons of pressure on the pass and I dont recall him getting sacked much. Probably not as much money to go around, but I also think he felt AFC is where he wanted to stay for some reason. Either way it will be interesting to see what happens.

Comment

Are we really talking about who has better players, Denver or San Fran??? Gore or McGahee? Gore younger by a few years, had twice as many TDs last year and more rushing yards and despite being in the league almost 2 years younger he has almost 300 more yards than McGahee and a higher career yards per carry. Davis or who is even the TE on Denvers? Davis is a physical freak that when motivated and focused can be unstoppable. Had the most TDs for a TE in a single season until this year I believe.
                            As far as WRs. Eric Decker is really no different than Manningham? Manningham was the 3rd best WR on the Giants and still put up decent numbers. Would Decker be a better option on the Giants than Manningham was? I don't think he would be. So its really Crabtree and Thomas. Is Thomas that much better than Crabtree? I don't think he is. He has the potential to be, but Crabtree can be a pretty solid WR as well if he stays motivated. Does anybody really know if Moss isn't going to be productive. Wasn't the Raiders saying that in 2006, but Randy said he wasn't, got motivated and had a career year in 2007. 2 seasons ago, when NE got rid of Randy, he seemed to be disinterested and lost motivation that year. It seems as though whenever somebody doubts Randys ability, he comes back twice as good as before. Not to mention all the skill players on SF made Smith in to a pretty decent QB last year. With no offense to John Fox, I would want Harbaugh as my coach and I think that Harbaugh being an offensive-minded coach would have been for Manning. Defenses, despite what the masses thought, Denver was only 20th in Total D and SF was 4th. The games against Lions and NE didn't help but really who's defense would you take first? SF or Denver? I would take SF in a heartbeat. Personally, if Peyton was on the Niners last year, I wouldn't bet against them winning the Super Bowl. Broncos, ehh... not so much.
                            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

If you think SF's wideouts are better than Denver's you're ridiculous. Of course Manningham put up decent numbers. The Giants threw it a million times and 0% defenses attempted to game plan against Manningham. Meanwhile, Decker and Thomas were trying to catch fake punts.

I think Manning knew more about the entire situation with each team than either of us.

Also, $$$.
                              Last edited by RabbitObsessed; 03-19-2012, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X