Minnesota Twins Thread (2012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Twins Thread (2012)

Well It's about time one of these got started, so here it is.
    Great moments are born from great opportunities.
    ---Herb Brooks

Re: Minnesota Twins Threa (2012)

I'm glad I am not the only one getting anxious to see the MLB season start.

Predictions for the Twins this year?
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Well they should only go up compared to last year. I haven't been paying attention but are muauer and mornoe back and healty or will they still be out parts of the season?

Well all I know is I am ready for the cardinals to repeat and get 12 in 12.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm predicting a 47-115 finish for the Twins this year.

Mauer will suffer yet another season ending injury due to a hang nail and a mild case of the flu which he just can't recover from. However, he'll continue to question why anyone could doubt his work ethic. Twins fans however will be boosted with confidence by his .345 batting average during the first 3 weeks of season yet somehow ignore that all of his hits were worm burned singles through the left side of the infield and that he had 1 RBI at the time of his injury which was from a bases loaded walk (just the way Joe likes them).

Morneau's season and career will end in week 2 of the season while tilting his head back a little too far while taking a drink of Gatorade in the clubhouse resulting in yet another concussion.

On a positive note, at least Target Field is a great place to watch a game!
        “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

They'll be better than last year but I will be shocked if they make the playoffs. From what I'm hearing, no one is sure if Morneau will ever be the same.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

They have so many new players...just not their year. I tell them all on Twitter that it is.. But we know it's not. Next year.
            ---Herb Brooks

Comment

just sooo many questions this year-----i'm not sure this is a pitching staff that can take the twins very far. and, what can you say about morneau---just an awful tough situation. all the talk was of mauer over the past few years, and rightly so, but, i always thought morneau was special and a big piece of the team.

Comment

I don't think they know how to play as a team. People come and go..but you always have to remain a team. Yes Morneau was a big part..but it wasn't the Minnesota Morneau's....it's the Twins. Since Morneau was lost they haven't really regained their composure.
                ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Also a lot of complimentary parts never developed more then the solid role players they were. Cuddyer and Kubel come to mind. Good guys and have done good things but not filling into big time players that they needed them to be.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

That's the thing...a TEAM can't survive on big time players. I've learned that through experience.
                    ---Herb Brooks

Comment

A baseball team can most certainly survive on big name players. Baseball is the only "team" sport where you could plug in 25 players who have never met and if they were all good, you'd have a damned good team. There are a few things that are important team-wise (pitcher-catcher relationships, turning the double play, etc.) but for the most part it is a very individual oriented sport. Offense, for instance, has absolutely nothing to do with being a team. It is one guy in the box vs. the guy on the mound. Sure there are things like bunting and hit and run, but those have proven to be statistically not good things to do.

The Twins weren't bad because they weren't "playing as a team"; they were bad last year because the talent was not as good as the year before, and they were decimated by injuries. Look at the 2010 season, one of the best seasons the Twins have had in recent memory. They won 94 games (tied for the second most from the franchise in the 2000s) and they had a TON of new players that year: J.J. Hardy, Orlando Hudson, Jim Thome, Danny Valencia, Carl Pavano, ect. They weren't good because they "played as a team"; they were good because that was a really, really talented baseball club that scored the 5th most runs and gave up the 3rd least in the AL. They got amazing years out of all the players they needed to (and some uncharacteristically good years out of people that you wouldn't expect: Pavano, Valencia, Delmon Young) and everybody stayed healthy.

The year after that, the they got rid of Hardy and Hudson (Hudson was disliked by teammates but he could play), and everyone else got hurt or regressed to the mean. Baseball is more about talent and skill than it is about teamwork.

Comment

I really don't think the Twins will be that bad .... IF they are healthy. Obviously there are question areas ... but check out the lineup ... when HEALTHY.

CF Span --If healthy he can get on base a lot and hit over .300 which he has done before in his career. It's important for him to have a high OBP ... Also, always been able to take BB's and work the count
                        SS Carroll -- Not a big name guy at short, but can play solid defense and had his best year offensively last year with the Dodgers after getting to play considerably due to other team injuries. Also a high OBP guy.
                        C Mauer -- Obvious, which Joe will show up? The former MVP, 3x batting champ or the chronically "injured" star catcher? If he's healthy and has a big year, so will the Twins.
                        1B Morneau -- If he can have a 30-100 year again like in years past this will be a great indicator of team success. Important for him to stay healthy because people forget he had numerous other injuries last year besides the concussion problems.
                        RF Willingham -- A solid hitter who can drive in runs and hit home runs. Target Field should not be a problem for him as he hit 30 hr's in Oakland which is a pitcher's park as well. If guys get on he will drive them in.
                        DH Doumit -- solid hitter who can hit .300 when healthy. Could be a solid contributor to this team. Probably not Kubel numbers but still noteworthy.
                        3B Valencia -- I know there are hoping he can have a big 3rd year after a sophomore slump. Sometimes seems to lose focus. I believe he can put up big number this year. So far in Spring Training he is raking, so hopefully this continues.
                        LF Revere -- I think he'll steal at least 50 bases this year. Hopefully he can hit at least .270 and have a high OBP then he'll be a real nuisance to opposing pitchers. A Brett Gardner type
                        2B Casilla -- He actually is not a bad hitter when healthy. Seems to get hurt every year. Once again a high OBP would do the Twins wonders. Needs to bunt more as well.

Bench
                        Plouffe - A guy who can rake at times. Is developing some good power. Will play OF this year instead of IF. If Revere slumps look for Plouffe to be the starter
                        Butera/Towles - I personally don't think Butera should be on the team, but he probably will make it due to his defense. Towles could be just as good as Butera
                        Nishioka - Needs to perform better this year. He might play a game or two a week. Not good defensively.
                        Hughes - A good backup. Displays power at times. Like his bat, though.

Starting Pitchers

Pavano - Obviously can be good .. won 17 games in 2010, in 2011 the team behind him was awful but he certainly did not pitch like he did in 2010. Can be solid and win 15+ games if the offense stays healthy. Solid starter
                        Liriano - In 2010 he was masterful while 2011 was a train wreck. Seems to always be inconsistent with control/mechanics. If he can be dominant again, team will be good. Needs to figure it out, badly, or he could be gone after the year.
                        Baker - I believe he could win 17+ games if healthy. Last year he was really good with an ERA under 3 until he got hurt and went on the DL. If he stays healthy and keeps the ball down (because he seems to give up a lot of HR's when it's rising on him) the team will be good.
                        Blackburn - One of the most frustrating guys on the team, IMO. Can be so good at times, and then be awful. Hopefully he throws 200+ innings and stays consistant. Could win 13+ games. A good 3-5 starter.
                        Marquis - Hopefully he's a good 5th starter. Broke his leg last year and has been shaky so far in ST. Hopefully he can win 10+ games.

Bullpen
                        Capps - Revealed he was pitching with elbow tendinitis last year but didn't want to go on DL because everyone else was. I believe he will be good this year. If not, Perkins is waiting in the wings.
                        Perkins - Had a breakout year in 2011. Got a new contract as well. He was flat out dominant as a setup guy. Throws 95+ MPH. Filthy slider
                        Duensing - Probably a LOOGY guy. His splits last year against RH and LH batters were amazing. Terrible against RH but filthy against LH hitters.
                        Oliveros - Acquired from DET for Delmon. Can throw hard but may be wild with control. Developing into a setup man, IMO.
                        Burnett - Needs to figure it out. Throws hard but leaves the ball up. He will have a short leash this year. Gave up 4ER in 2/3 IP today in ST, btw.
                        Doyle/Maloney/Waldrop/Manship - Any two of these guys could fill out the rest of the bullpen. Doyle is a rule 5 pick and must be either on the team or he goes back to his original team.

See what I mean, the Twins SHOULD be good if the team is healthy. The lineup should produce plenty of offense while the pitching staff should be solid like in 2010. Once again, IF healthy. Health is the key this year. If Mauer/Morneau/Baker/Blackburn and other guys are hurt this year, expect another losing season. I don't know if they can compete with the Tigers, when healthy, but they will sure be better than 63-99.

I'm expecting to go 92-70 ... IF healthy.

Comment

If healthy and everyhing breaks their way I think it's a 85 win team. At best.

Comment

Obviously need to stay healthy and get career years out of Valencia, Willingham and Span to be able to compete with the Tigers. I just hope that the pitching staff can stay healthy give the bullpen a chance to close out some games. Winning this season is going to be hard, gotta get some monster years out of some players and catch a lot of breaks this season.The hard part will be winning the division with the talent that was added by Detroit. Competing for the Wild Card will be easier than in years past due to MLB adding a team in each league, but one of those spots probably goes to the East runner up.

Comment

Looks like we are resorting to PED's in the minor leagues. Can't be a good sign.......

http://espn.go.com/minor-league-base...rug-suspension

Comment

Working...
                              X